CELEBRATION: A RETARDATION.

Mattress

I hate to admit it but its true. Warner have thrown this project together cheaply because they simply can't afford to be spending money on an artist who has no real further financial benefit to them. They're not making anywhere near what they used to 10 or 20 years ago. They really won't make that much on this compilation, and if they aren't able to release anything further of Madonna from here she's a worthless investment.

Madonna is already making alot of money with Live Nation, alot more than she has made for Warner in recent times. Meanwhile, anyone who downloads instead of buying music from any artist at all can be held accountable. Record labels are going to be dead soon enough. For Madonna it's not a bad thing. I can see her Live Nation products being of much higher quality because they will have the profit to justify spending lots of recording, packaging, marketing etc. So that is the positive side to all this. She's got a better deal now and I bet she has been desperate to move on from Warner in the last few years.

I know that you say they are throwing this collection together cheaply but I don't see it as an excuse for the mistakes.

1- getting the songwriting credits wrong is unforgivable. Even a small label would have no excuse!

2. The sounds on music that shouldn't be there- again unforgivable. Have they no quality control.

3. Releasing a remastered best of will make money with reduced outlay! They don't have to pay for a new album to be recorded and mixed. Marketing costs are the main spend on a project like this.

WB have let her and us down with the mistakes but there is a lot to be happy with here and I'm pleased that she is doing well with the album in the charts. I hope the USA gets behind her. Fingers crossed it will be uk #1 todAy.

I'd love to hear what M has to say about some of these loony fans that just go OTT on everything.

of course it's too late to change smth now, but as far as these mistakes are concerned, I'm surprised that Madonna didn't do anything about them. I mean, she claims that she's a control freak and seems to be pretty much a perfectionist and yet here we are with a 2CD GH that has numerous glitches which, by any standard shouldn't have been there, let alone by her standards.

I have to say that I love "Celebration" compilation.

First I love the song... second... the "Who's That Girl" remaster made me cry of joy... it was the song that made me become the Huge fan I am today and I was expecting this for a long time already! And it's fantastic!

Most of the remastered versions are quite nice and I do love the bass add the songs have. I don't care much about the original 7inch single versions as I have almost all Madonna singles on CD... for a change is nice to have someting new... I mean GHV2 had almost nothing new at all...

It's a pitty that there are so many Great Hits left out being the most notorius True Blue, Causing a Commotion, This Used to Be My Playground and I'll Remember.

Rain, American Life, Give It 2 Me and other great sucessful songs should be there too but Warner doesn't want to kill Madonna back catalogue and if everything is there all the other albums will stop selling at all.

I'm very Happy with this project. It could be better, of course... but it could also be a lot worst and forget "Who's That Girl" like TIC did.

Wait, what's with the DVD?

CELEBRATION, 2-DVD review (US edition, NTSC)

I've just finished watching that infamous DVD set while taking notes, and so much for a Celebration - I'd rather fucking shoot myself than go through this mess again. I had read the brief reviews on this forum and since everyone seemed to be quite unhappy with this new DVD set, I wanted to see what that was all about. I thought I'd share my own track-by-track review of this sad spectacle, in the least biased way possible. Please note:

- This is a purely technical review of the new DVD. I'm not taking into account the artistic merit of the videos here: All comments are related to the quality of the video/audio tracks featured on 'Celebration'.

- Needless to say that these DVDs were tested using very proper, high-end equipments (plural, I like to multitask). Don't give me that whole "The DVD is actually wonderful quality but you couldn't see it because you didn't convert it from NTSC to PAL using your DVD menu", or whatever nonsense I've been reading on forums recently.

- I wanted to review both the PCM stereo and the 5.1 tracks, since both are available on the DVDs. But it's clear we're not dealing with a real, proper 5.1 mix here (that would be: a properly done remixing using separate studio elements, done by the original producers of the songs, in order to achieve a coherent and audiophile-friendly recreation on 6 tracks of what they originally created for the then-current 2 tracks stereo medias ). No, what we have here is a bullshit upmix created using the newly "remastered" stereo tracks - or "how to expand 2 channels into 6 so people will go "great, it's got 5.1 sound, this will sound great on what I call a home theater". Lame commercial trick that's just an audiophile's nightmare. The guys who worked on the Beatles remasters can sleep tight: Nobody employed by Warner is gonna be able to steal their job. Anyway: not reviewing these bullshit 5.1 upmixes, but only the proper, uncompressed PCM stereo tracks, the way they were meant to be heard. So here we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. BURNING UP

Video: This version is slightly sharper than the promo VOB/dvd rip circulating online. The colors have been unnecessarily boosted and yet the picture is a bit too pale compared to the promo version, which had darker/deeper blacks. This one suffers at times from its low bitrate, but it's not so bad considering what's coming up.

Audio [pcm track]: Good job, although obviously a re-re-master as it appears to be lifted from the 2000 remastered reissue of the album.

Winner (video): The promo version.

Winner (audio): This version.

2. LUCKY STAR

Video: Alternate edit, (a minute shorter than the one on the Immaculate Collection), so let's compare it with the same version of the video which is currently circulating from a promo DVD. The picture is softer and less detailed than the promo version. The colors are also more pale and the blacks are, again, grey instead of black. The overall low bitrate used for the videos on this new collection clearly shows its flaws here - this is a god damned pixel-fest. Yuk.

Audio [pcm track]: A rather discreet and useful remaster.

Winner (video): The promo VOB, quite clearly.

3. BORDERLINE

Video: The picture is less detailed than on the Immaculate Collection (it's obviously the same master used for both editions, but they've used the usual bullshit noise reduction filter on this one). And the colors have again been unnecessarily boosted. No trace of noise reduction here, but where the IC version kept the original 35mm grain rather intact, what we have here are blocks and digital noise instead. The picture is also very slightly cropped on the sides (!). Cheap encoding, bad interlacing: overall useless.

Audio [pcm track]: The remastered audio is surprisingly good on this one (as were all the tracks on the 2000 remastered edition of the MADONNA album - someone has been doing their job back then obviously)

Winner (video): The IC version by a long shot.

4. LIKE AVIRGIN

Video: Same version as on the I.C. (with the "lion's tongue"), and same master used for both video collections, with here a softer/less detailed picture (same noise reduction problem), useless color boost, and an even slighter crop of the sides of the picture.

Audio [pcm track]: A rather good remaster makes it a new enjoyable listening experience.

Winner (video): The IC version.

5. MATERIAL GIRL

Video: The noise reduction isn't so bad on this one, but the rest is. Again that damned color boost, and the picture is too pale compared to the IC version. Some very obvious artifacts and shivering problems all around - this is just ridiculous video quality for anything other than an SVCD.

Audio [pcm track]: A proper and clean remaster, not overly done.

Winner (video): The IC version

6. CRAZY FOR YOU

Previously unreleased on DVD even through promos. Better than the evil VHS rips available so far, but still not anywhere what could be expected on such a DVD. The blacks aren't black and the picture is even a bit shaky. As for the audio, watch out for the god awful fade out at the end (while trying to recreate the original video's soundtrack, they've faded it out a tad too late.) Let's give a C- to this one, considering most 80's videos released on DVD usually aren't that hot quality in general. So far in the test, the only reason to purchase CELEBRATION, although a very thin one.

7. INTO THE GROOVE

Video: Previously unreleased on DVD. Compared to the promo-DVD version, this one appears to be less colorful, and way too pale. The definition is about the same, although noticeably softer in some very short parts of the video.

Audio [pcm track]: Very decent remaster, works very well at very high volume. Much enjoyable.

Winner (video): I'll stick with the promo VOB for this one. Again.

8. LIVE TO TELL

Video: Previously unreleased on DVD, even through promo, so, we can only call this one a winner. It's actually quite good despite the low bitrate: The blacks are deep, the colors vivid, and the picture is rather sharp. Still the same artifacts/interlacing problems to report, and the picture is also shaky. Not the worst from the set for sure, but certainly not what I'd call a high quality remaster.

Audio [pcm track]: Very nicely done. This reworked audio gives new depth to the music while remaining very 80s sounding. Nice.

Winner (video): Well this one, obviously. It's not excellent, but certainly preferable to any VHS rip.

Winner (audio): The new remaster works.

9. PAPA DON'T PREACH

Video: Practically a clone to the IC version, although ever so slightly softer and less detailed (again, that damned noise reduction). A bit blocky at times, certainly not too bad, but the quality still ain't au par with that of the IC collection (a DVD released more than a decade ago). Useless. And yes, the nipple is still there, at least!

Audio [pcm track]: Same as for Live To Tell, this appears to have been remastered using the elements used for the 2000 remastered reissue of the True Blue album (ie: a proper remastering job)

Winner (video): Close call, but the IC version is richer, cleaner and has better encoding.

Winner (audio): This one, definitely.

10. TRUE BLUE

Video: Previously unreleased on DVD (even through promos). So ok, this version is of course much better than the crappy VHS rips found so far. But what's the use of offering a video for the first time on DVD if it's to plague it with such an awful encoding? The artifacts just jump at you right from the start of the video. SVCD alert. The blue tones and backgrounds never liked low bitrates MPG2 encoding anyway, so this was to be expected from a single-layered DVD with so many videos and dual soundtracks.

Audio [pcm track]: Like the other remastered tracks from the True Blue album: Good job.

Winner (video): Better than all the rips online, but not anywhere as good as it could have been with a proper encoding on a dual-layer DVD.

Winner (audio): Good remaster.

11. OPEN YOUR HEART

Video: The best on the DVD so far, or should I say the "least worst"? The IC version was always a bit too pale, but the colors here are finally doing justice to Mondino's beautiful work. The blacks are deep enough, the definition is a bit better than the other videos from Celebration *so far*, and given what little physical space was given to this video on the DVD, the encoding isn't so awful, and the artifacts are kept to a minimum. This version is also showing just a little bit more picture on the sides than the IC version, which was (very lightly) cropped. Shame the whole DVD wasn't done properly on dual-layers, or this would have been an A- transfer with the proper encoding. Best so far here, but that doesn't say much.

Audio [pcm track]: Again, same as for the other TB tracks: Very proper and respectful remasters.

Winner (video): Almost a draw, but the IC version, still, even though a bit too pale, has much better encoding and grain.

Winner (audio): This one.

12. LA ISLA BONITA

Video: Same master used on the IC, but that's where it ends. Pixels, shaky picture, bad interlacing, horrible noise reduction, useless color boost, bad cropping: You name it, it's there. Simply ridiculous.

Audio [pcm track]: Nice remaster, but why bother - the visual experience make it completely useless.

Winner (video): The IC version, although I'm tempted to say "none". The IC version had its problems (ridiculous Beta master with colors "drooling" everywhere, an encoding damaging the original film grain), and this version has new problems (stupid noise reduction, shaky picture during camera movements due to that crappy encoding)... I'll chose none until this excellent video gets the treatment it deserves (a proper release using the original film elements used - which is exactly what should be done when the world leading record company releases a video retrospective of the world's biggest pop act).

Winner (audio): Clearly, this version.

13. WHO'S THAT GIRL

Video: Previously unreleased on DVD even though promo, so again, nothing to decently compare it with. The picture's definition is rather good (and even surprisingly good on some shots), the colors are lively, although a bit blue-ish overall compared to what we'd seen before.

Audio [pcm track]: I'd say "good" if it wasn't for some ridiculous distortions which make the sound go suddenly slower for some brief moments. Another example that this DVD was released without any care.

Winner (video): Better than nothing I guess.

Winner (audio): Decent enough for a remaster, a bit useless.

14. LIKE A PRAYER

Video: Noise reduction, shivering picture, no more grain from the 35mm film: Not even as good as what they've done more than 10 years ago with the IC version. Why bother?

Audio [pcm track]: An OK remaster, more like a boost-up. Doesn't feel like this couldn't be achieved by any Madonna fan with basic knowledge of his audio tools.

Winner (video): The IC version, by a very long shot.

Winner (audio): This one (sigh).

15. EXPRESS YOURSELF

Video: The version here presented is the original version, about a minute longer than the IC version. And if it wasn't for (again) the awful noise reduction (which totally kills the cinematic effect intended for this great video), and the ridiculous low Q encoding, it would be great. Only it's, well, shit.

Audio [pcm track]: Different remaster than the one used on the CD version of Celebration, weirdly enough. There's still that crappy noise right at the start, but the missing echo on "Do you believe in love?" is back like in the original video, and it's not the same awful copy'n'paste job than on the CD. A decent remaster overall.

Winner (video): Needless to say, the IC version.

Winner (audio): The IC version worked well enough. This one is nicely boosted but features some unwanted elements, so... your pick.

16. CHERISH

Video: Very close to that of the Immaculate collection (ie: STILL not properly transfered). Again that stupid noise reduction and awful encoding, only it's not as visible as on the other videos since we've yet to see a decent transfer of Cherish on DVD.

Audio [pcm track]:A more discreet and natural remaster. Rather good!

Winner (video): The IC one (although not great, it's still superior to this badly "de-noised" version).

Winner (audio): This version (and it doesn't feature the too-early fade-out the IC version had)

17. VOGUE

Video: Probably the closest between all the IC versions and the Celebration versions. Virtually the same, nothing has been retouched except, guess what? Fucking noise reduction filter again. The original grain is gone, but don't worry: it's been replaced with artifacts and reminiscence around everything. Not vomit-inducing, but simply a pitiful "remaster" and a lame edition.

Audio [pcm track]:My personal favorite of all these remastered audio tracks. Gives new life to the track without changing it.

Winner (video): Duh. Immaculate forever.

Winner (audio): This one by a long shot.

18. JUSTIFY MY LOVE

Video: Here comes trouble. This is truly a shame, and for many reasons. Yes, the video is censored with black rectangles over a couple of harmless nipples, because, you know, Madonna fans and all the little children of the world could go blind otherwise, and such decisions say a lot about Madonna's artistic integrity nowadays. But other than this god awful decision, the real shame is that JML was only previously released through VHS and promo DVD, and none of these transfers did justice to the great arthouse cinematography or even faithfully rendered the original 16mm film grain, which is new censored print does! Of course, it's all spoiled due to the very low encoding quality (or: "when film grain become blocks and artifacts") and to the ridiculous censoring. Good going Warner and Madonna for spoiling some of her most eloquent work.

Audio [pcm track]: It is wasn't for the saturation and that bad vocal mix, it could have been a good remaster. As such, it's not.

Winner (video): None. The VHS transfer was just that, the promo DVD version sucked, and this censored LQ monstrosity sucks even harder.

Winner (audio): None. Go back to listen to the Q-sound mix on the IC while remembering the video as you recall it - it can only be better than this.

19. EROTICA (R-rated version)

Video: And more trouble here, thank you Warner. a/ film grain equals shit when encoded with low bitrate and b/ Noise reduction is not the way to go to solve this. Other than this, this is the full-length, 5'11 censored version of Erotica (we knew we wouldn't get the X-rated version, but it's nice to see they didn't chose the 4'30 edit previously issued through promos at least!). I don't what some of you had been smoking before reviewing this video on Fanzine, but in no way does it feature any alternate shots - this is, shot by shot, the video we already knew. Not the worst transfer of the DVD, and not a crappy edit, so I guess it should be satisfying enough.

Audio [pcm track]: Good remaster, and this one (unlike the awful Celebration CD version) doesn't feature any editing done by an obviously deaf person.

Winner (video): I'll stick with the promo DVD/VOB previously shared online, which, although too bright, has much better sharpness/grain/taints and doesn't suffer the noise reduction filter, the low bitrate/encoding and the mediocre color boost.

Winner (audio): Much better audio Q than the promo VOB or album version - very enjoyable remaster, imho.

20. DEEPER & DEEPER

Video: This is the full-length version of the video (with the spoken intro by Udo Kier and the banana scene). Like the rest: compared to the Promo Only vob, this one has awful digital noise reduction, and wild pixels all over. The 16mm grain is almost all gone in profit of digital artifacts. But no sign of color "corrections" on this one at least.

Audio [pcm track]: I must admit - this remastered version kicked my ass. The basses are wild and it remains faithful to the original album version while giving it a little something special that won't make you popular with your neighbors.

Winner (video): The promo-only VOB wins, no contest.

Winner(audio): This version, worth having to suffer the not-so-good video quality.

21. RAIN

Video: We're now in 93:99 territory and the differences are likely to be less obvious between the Celebration and the 93:99 versions. Starting with Rain. Absolutely the same master without any sort of correction done. Identical on every level - well except the shit encoding here.

Audio [pcm track]: Good and clear remaster, very close to the original too.

Winner (video): The 93:99 version for higher bitrate and less artifacts, although both are real close.

22. I'LL REMEMBER

Video: No difference whatsoever with the Promo Only vob available online, except a shitload of pixels and artifacts appearing at certain points of the video. Truly horrible at times. Worst compression seen in a while!

Audio [pcm track]: A good remaster/boost.

Winner (video): The promo VOB, "no hesitation".

23. SECRET

Video: Noticeably damaged by the bad compression, and ridiculously blocky at certain points (cf. the drag queen in hallway shot). More contrasted than the 93:99 version (not a good thing in the present case).

Audio [pcm track]: A clean and neat remaster which avoids betraying the original mix.

Winner (video): The 93:99 Collection version, hands down.

24. TAKE A BOW

Video: A bit more bright and contrasted than the 93:99 version. Here again, the compression and sharpness is inferior to the version previously released.

Audio [pcm track]: A few clips here and there due to a clumsy remastering.

Winner (video): The 93:99 version for its superior mpg2 encoding.

Winner (audio): The 93:99 version (although not remastered, at least it doesn't clip).

25. BEDTIME STORY

Video: Slightly darker and more colorful than the 93:99, this one doesn't suffer its low bitrate too much, and is extremely similar in quality to the 93:99 version. Far from getting the treatment it deserves, this great video is one of the strongest on Celebration, quality-wise.

Audio [pcm track]: Ever so slightly remastered, this is quite a good boost-up.

Winner (video): 93:99 version, for its more faithful colors and slightly better encoding.

26. HUMAN NATURE

Video: Bad noise reduction filter, bad! Bad pixels, bad! Crazy interlacing. SVCD territory, welcome back!

Audio [pcm track]: Discreet and honorable work on the remastering. Excellent dynamic on the door slams!

Winner (video): The 93:99 collection.

27. I WANT YOU

Video: A hot freegin' mess, and the absolute worst of the set. This is just horrendous, blocky beyond reason, and the quality of this sole video justifies getting your money back at the store. Not so much SVCD territory anymore, we're talking about Real-Video quality from the 90s here. Worth pulling your eyes out with a dirty spoon used by someone with Avian flue. How can my promo-VHS rip of this video be better than an officially licensed DVD? Well it is. I'll upload it later BTW, ah!

Audio [pcm track]: If only the video part was as good as the audio....

Winner (video): Anything's better than this. A VHS rip, a VCD rip, or a bowel movement. This gets the grand prize for worst quality seen on an official DVD in recent years.

Winner (audio): Good remaster. Enhances the Something To Remember version nicely.

28. YOU'LL SEE

Video: Pixels alert. Rather crap quality, but after I Want You, anything else will look like it got THX-approved.

Audio [pcm track]: Hum, not so hot. Sounds a bit hollow compared to the album Q, and the vocals on the chorus are just messed up here.

Winner (video): The Promo Only VOB circulating online, hands down.

Winner (audio): The Promo Only VOB here again.

29. FROZEN

Video: Getting old just sucks, my memory is playing tricks on me. I thought Madonna morphed into crows in that video, but actually she changes into pixels flying in the desert. Very mystical and groundbreaking of her. Other than this: the picture's darkened, slightly more colorful, quite well defined but greatly suffers from the low compression.

Audio [pcm track]: Nice little remaster. Works for me and fits well Orbit's style actually.

Winner (video): Do I really need to say it?

30. RAY OF LIGHT

Video: Much sharper than the way-too-soft-and-blurry version on 93:99. Definitely a new master. That would have been real nice to watch if encoded properly. Unfortunately, the shit compression is here to remind us that even with a new better source, this DVD remains way inferior to a product sold more than a decade ago, yawn.

Audio [pcm track]: Nice little boost up, but lacks of lows and gets a bit too sharp (ie annoying) at times.

Winner (video): The 93:99 version. Too soft, but well encoded and not so blocky at least.

Winner (audio): The 93:99 version.

31. THE POWER OF GOODBYE

Video: Less colors but sharper than the 93:99 edition. The weak encoding ruins it here again (hello, pixel, I see you brought your friends. Many of them.).

Audio [pcm track]: Same kind of enhancement on this one than on Ray Of Light, but it works better here, and doesn't get too clicky.

Winner (video): The 93:99 edition.

Winner (audio): The 93:99 edition too, as this remaster is a bit useless.

32. BEAUTIFUL STRANGER

Video: Horrible, horrible quality. Back to VCD-land here again: The rich, green tones really don't agree with the low bitrate allowed. Truly awful.

Audio [pcm track]: Useless, slightly annoying remaster with doesn't do justice to the slick production of this track. Bad.

Winner (video): The 93:99 collection version.

Winner (audio): The 93:99 collection version.

33. AMERICAN PIE

Video: I see less colors, I see artifacts, up to Madonna's ass crack.

Audio [pcm track]: It's all highs, very little bottom. Not a very good job to say the least.

Winner (video): The version included on TNBT dvds.

Winner (audio): The version included on TNBT dvds.

34. MUSIC (long version)

Video: Not very good. Less colorful, less contrasts, more artifacts and pixels then the MUSIC dvd-single version. And I suppose Madonna's awful vocal acting ("Stooop. Put the music back on") can't be considered a technical flaw, can it?

Audio [pcm track]: Now we're talking. Play this out loud, loud, loud and expect an eviction notice soon. This is how I've wanted to hear that track for a long time.

Winner (video): The Music single version.

Winner (audio): This version, hands down.

35. DON'T TELL ME

Video: One of the worst use they could have made from their beloved noise reduction filter. Need I mention the artifacts again? Lame. A 1st grader could do a better remaster than this using fucking Virtualdub.

Audio [pcm track]: Well I liked it, but it's messed up. Not sure Mr. Mirwais would approve. But fine as it is.

Winner (video): The Promo Only DVD vob by a long shot.

36. WHAT IT FEELS LIKE FOR A GIRL

Video: Not trying to be an "Ol' Kunt", but, ahhh, 2001... they knew how to encode MPG2 back in those days.

Audio [pcm track]: Rather excellent - terrific basses and depth all over. Very good remastering work on this one imho.

Winner (video): The WIFLFAG dvd single, no contest.

37. DIE ANOTHER DAY

Video: Not so hot (the usual problems inherent to the whole DVD), but still better than the copy available on promos and on the Bond film DVD.

Audio [pcm track]: Nicely done, powerful and clean.

Winner (video): This version.

38. HOLLYWOOD.

Video: Fucking awful. The rich, vibrant and quickly changing colors are no friends of low encodings in general, and the rule applies here, definitely.

Audio [pcm track]: You know things are starting very badly when the first thing you hear in that HOLLYWOOD video are the last notes and lyrics from American Life! Yes, the audio is directly lifted from the AL album, hence that bad start. Any amateur editor would have avoided that. Simply ridiculous.

Winner (video): The Promo-Only VOB version, no question about it.

Winner (audio): The fart of a dead moose would sound better than this (at least it wouldn't start with the last bits of another song!)

39. LOVE PROFUSION

Video: Still not as good as the Promo Only version, even though that wasn't very hot to begin with. Moving CGI flowers changing into pixels? Lovely. NOT!

Audio [pcm track]: Good remaster, faithful to the original mix, just louder. Discreet enough to be enjoyed!

Winner (video): Any of the promo VOBs.

40.HUNG UP

Video: Honestly, it's shit, and it's not even a question of compression only. The promo VOB sent to the press at the time of the Hung Up release was only 120mb and was absolutely fantastic quality. This one is 225mb and is complete shit, and just unwatchable. If Madonna approved this, she's either blind as a bat or used her Ipod to check the videos' quality.

Audio [pcm track]: Terrific. Not necessarily for an audiophile, but killer when played at high volume!

Winner (video): The promo video, by a long shot!!

41. SORRY

Video: And there, we've reached a new low: A video shot in Panavision, then pan and scaned, and then letterboxed! Not to mention the quality, worth of a second generation VHS tape, when the promos circulating are in excellent quality. Wow, impressive. Technical mediocrity has reached a new level, congratulations Warner!

Audio [pcm track]: Whatever. Doesn't matter. Who cares.

Winner (video): My home movies shot in 8mm in the 70s have known cleaner and better transfers than this nightmare.

Winner (audio): Too busy rubbing my eyes to even care.

42. GET TOGETHER (alternate version)

Video: Ridiculous short edit. Below average picture quality. Questionable use of a badly done 16:9 encoding (the only one of this set so far, all the other letterboxed videos are in non-anamorphic 4:3, 1.33:1 ratio)

Audio [pcm track]: Kinda liked the sound (just a louder, slightly clearer boost), but the bad editing ruins it anyway.

Winner (video): The promo VOB circulating online.

Winner (audio): The album version.

43. JUMP

Video: Jump... by the window, that is. OK, to be honest, it's not that bad compared to the rest. Not acceptable quality, but not the worst.

Audio [pcm track]: Sounds a bit amateurish (EQ loudness, much?)

Winner (video): The promo VOB (better encoding)

Winner (audio): The promo VOB (a more real and genuine sound), and this edit is very clumsy.

44. FOUR MINUTES

Video: Although widely available in true HD form, this one is featured here in 4:3 letterbox. Average picture quality, but then again, at this point, anything better than an SVCD looks wonderful, even that crappy video.

Audio [pcm track]: Slight saturations make it a miss.

Winner (video): The HD promo file.

Winner (audio): The album version

45. GIVE IT TO ME

Video: The best from this DVD. Not great quality, but perfectly watchable compared to the rest (and "average" compared to any decently produced music DVD).

Audio [pcm track]: "Remastered" neatly enough to make one believe that track needed it.

Winner (video): The promo VOB (similar quality, but the promo was in 16:9)

46. MILES AWAY

Video: Quite good actually, compared to the vob ripped from the promo DVD. The second (and last) video from the set to be encoded in 16:9.

Audio [pcm track]: Very similar, but louder than the promo version.

Winner (video): This version because of the 16:9 encoding and clearer/better colors and definition.

47. CELEBRATION (Benassi mix / Dancers version)

Video: Not anywhere near today's quality standard for a video. But it's an old video after all. A month old, at least.

Audio [pcm track]: Vibrant and loud - nice.

Winner (video): I'll pick the MOV file from Jonas' website - it gives a much better result once encoded to MPG2 than this version. Seriously. Nice way to end that crappy compilation, Warner!

Winner (audio): Same as the CD-Maxi version.

(Quite happy to be done with this. Never again!)

OVERALL:

- Most video tracks, if not all of them, are fucked up and a true mockery from Warner & Madonna to their customers.

- Most audio tracks (that is, the PCM ones) are rather good, especially the oldies. The newer they get, the lamer the remasters get in most cases.

- The missing videos (American Life, Bad Girl, Oh Father, Drowned World, some of Madonna's all time best) are greatly missed.

- If, after reading all this, you're still going to spend your hard earned cash on this lame DVD set, well I guess you deserve to be mocked, laughed at and anally raped by the people at Warner (who haven't waited for this new shopping impulse of yours to treat fans like dirt, anyway). Try not to encourage this kind of low quality release by a/ not buying the product and b/ voicing your opinion to them quite loudly if necessary, so more care goes into their next Madonna release (which might happen... very soon.)

- An 8,9Gb torrent of the two DVD set (uncompressed direct rip) is widely circulating online and takes about an hour to download once registered (for free) to the tracker. Best way to check out the product and then voice your opinion out loud. Now you know what to do.

Wait, what's with the DVD?

Fortunately nothing. Just that people are playing an NTSC DVD on PAL DVD players. The quality is fantastic. Just check out these screencaps:

I feel so bad for those who have to watch this NTSC DVD on their PAL systems. The wuality of the DVD's are fantastic. The blurring people are seeing is because of the DVD being in NTSC and their watching it on PAL, or their TV isn't set up properly. Also, when I watch ANY DVD on my TV and push pause, the caps are a bit grainy. I think this all depends on what quality DVD player you have.

Here are some screencaps from the DVD's proving, once and for all, that the quality is excellent.

After putting it in there is no warner logo etc. - there is a celebration teaser:

snapshot20090925233948.jpg

snapshot20090925234000.jpg

and you enter the menu:

snapshot20090925234005.jpg

snapshot20090925234012.jpg

snapshot20090925234029.jpg

Some examples:

snapshot20090925234051.jpg

snapshot20090925234107.jpg

snapshot20090925234120.jpg

snapshot20090925234902.jpg

snapshot20090926000959a.jpg

snapshot20090926001012a.jpg

snapshot20090926001344.jpg

snapshot20090926001759.jpg

snapshot20090926001901.jpg

snapshot20090926002103.jpg

snapshot20090926002253.jpg

snapshot20090926002345.jpg

snapshot20090926002913.jpg

snapshot20090926003022.jpg

snapshot20090926003154.jpg

Disc 2 (duration 1:51:55):

Hmm, "You'll See" certainly doesn't look like a pixal fest, now does it?

snapshot20090926004353.jpg

snapshot20090926004651.jpg

snapshot20090926004755.jpg

snapshot20090926004940.jpg

snapshot20090926005059.jpg

snapshot20090926005153.jpg

snapshot20090926005307.jpg

snapshot20090926005636.jpg

snapshot20090926005712.jpg

snapshot20090926010058.jpg

snapshot20090926010144.jpg

snapshot20090926010246.jpg

Hmmm, don't see all the pixalating like in the other screencaps posted here. People need to check their DVD player format, because these videos are far from bad and the sound is amazing. Also, most of the videos are in 4:3 because that is how they were shot. The videos shot in widescreen, are presented in 16:9, obviously.

So people, do not be afraid of picking up this set. Unless you have a PAL DVD player of course.

"Wait, what's with the DVD?" / Fortunately nothing. Just that people are playing an NTSC DVD on PAL DVD players.

:confused: This review is based on a US copy played on an NTSC system. The review clearly states:

- Needless to say that these DVDs were tested using very proper, high-end equipments ...Don't give me that whole "The DVD is actually wonderful quality but you couldn't see it because you didn't convert it from NTSC to PAL ... nonsense I've been reading on forums recently.

Screen captures can't convey much of what is discussed. That requires the complete run of frames in motion as on the DVD.

The described quality seems par for the course as far as this release is concerned and (yet again) it's many people independent of this review stating that the quality of many of the videos is poor, perhaps just not as detailed or eloquently.

That said, he encourages people to check for themselves and I'm glad you're happy with it. I'll give my opinion once I've screened it. I'm still excited to see these videos again.

:confused: This review is based on a US copy played on an NTSC system.

Screen captures can't convey much of what is discussed. That requires the complete run of frames in motion as on the DVD.

The described quality seems par for the course as far as this release is concerned and (yet again) it's many people independent of this review stating that the quality of many of the videos is poor, perhaps just not as detailed or eloquently.

That said, he encourages people to check for themselves and I'm glad you're happy with it. I'll give my opinion once I've screened it. I'm still excited to see these videos again.

I feel bad for the poor chap who sat there and reviewed each video, when what he was playing the DVD on, PAL or a bad dvd player, because it isn't the actual DVD that is bad. Shame.

Anyways, lucky me I guess, that my DVD set looks beautiful on my 60'' plasma tv. Hope everyone else gets good copies.

And 4.5GB is PLENTY of space on a DVD to fit 22-25 videos on in perfect quality. I download movies all the time that are 700MB in size and they are 2 hours long and look just like a store bought DVD.

Edited by howietee84

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

:lmao: @ people saying it's NTSC on PAL.

I've never in my life watched NTSC on PAL format and noticed a drop in quality OR a need to ADJUST the DVD preferences :lmao:

Do you know how cheaply made something like that has to be when you can't even throw on a dvd and just LET IT PLAY easily. When you have to sit and toggle menus to FIX errors. :lmao: That's so cheap.

Why was this necessary? You took a pretty general perspective on my part and turned around and made a personal attack? What have I ever done to you to warrant such an attack? What a mature individual of you. I certainly hope this makes you feel like you accomplished something, because right now, I just find someone who does something like this a "complete ass".

Please just ignore me from this point on. I'll be happy to return the gesture. THANK YOU!

I accomplished something alright - I expressed my opinion. What is immature about telling you I think you are the worst poster on all of this board? You simply are. You can ignore me if you want, I don't mind. I don't put people on ignore... why bother? It's a forum and I'm expressing my opinion and so are you. life goes on.

I also don't mind being called an 'ass' by the worst poster on MNation. That's like Madonna telling Britney that she's talented. :)

Just like with the CD, I'll wait till I see it with my own eyes.. I'm glad you are posting this review but I am not going to read it... That's just too much for a silly video collection.

The thing w/ the CD is that about 85% of it is genius. 10% is iffy and 5% is bad. That's A-OK by me. That's a lot of GREAT classic madonna for your buck. I'm sure the same will be the case with the DVD.

As for Pud's friend's comment above, I kinda agree w/ it... music listeners have such a sense of entitlement, that they will illegally download exclusive material with no issue and yet balk when the products released by Madonna and WB (who know very well that they won't make much of a return on their investment BECAUSE of said entitlement) don't make every single release top of the line. It will be years and several formats before we get the kind of Madonna curating we want because a) Madonna is DONE with WB, b) WB is DONE with Madonna, c) no one cares about music right now and d) there's no real money in spending EXTRA money to amplify the quality of these releases. just my thought.

I'm not referring to you btw Matt, I just kinda mean in general.

I accomplished something alright - I expressed my opinion. What is immature about telling you I think you are the worst poster on all of this board? You simply are. You can ignore me if you want, I don't mind. I don't put people on ignore... why bother? It's a forum and I'm expressing my opinion and so are you. life goes on.

I also don't mind being called an 'ass' by the worst poster on MNation. That's like Madonna telling Britney that she's talented. :)

The "worst poster" on M Nation? I disagree. The worst posters on M Nation to me are immature members like you who have nothing else to do but demean people when they can't handle a disagreeing opinion, who don't appreciate Madonna, and who are negative all of the time. :thumbsdown:

Actually, he encourages people to steal the collection (download the 8.9GB files), then complain about it to Warners, rather than buy it and judge for themselves. He specifically recommends that people do NOT buy it.

Actually, he encourages people to steal the collection (download the 8.9GB files), then complain about it to Warners, rather than buy it and judge for themselves. He specifically recommends that people do NOT buy it.

Why would he do that? Did you see my screencaps?? The quality is excellent. I think these people in Europe must have got a bad shipment in or something, because my quality, as shown on the screencaps, is flawless.

The "worst poster" on M Nation? I disagree. The worst posters on M Nation to me are immature members like you who have nothing else to do but demean people when they can't handle a disagreeing opinion, who don't appreciate Madonna, and who are negative all of the time. :thumbsdown:

*shrugs*

if you say so. but i love differing opinions. and i always appreciate madonna. and i'm pretty much never negative if you actually read my posts. I don't like neut's attitude. saying he's the worst poster isn't demeaning. that's my opinion. as fans, we vote on our favorite and least favorite stuff all the time...why can't i chime in on my least favorite poster?

sounds like YOU can't handle MY opinion. :)

Why would he do that? Did you see my screencaps?? The quality is excellent. I think these people in Europe must have got a bad shipment in or something, because my quality, as shown on the screencaps, is flawless.

Thank you :wow:

Those screencaps are amazing. I wasn't getting my hopes up with the DVD with all these negative reviews and of course the glaring ommissions (ex. American Life) but NOW I will be so happy to watch this DVD looking so perfect and not all fuzzy. If the DVD looks good I may also buy A League Of Their Own Special Edition DVD for This Used To Be My Playground.

I feel bad for Europe fans who got a crap shipment or who plays an NTSC

DVD on a PAL DVD Player/TV. They are in pixel fuzziness hell.

*shrugs*

if you say so. but i love differing opinions. and i always appreciate madonna. and i'm pretty much never negative if you actually read my posts. I don't like neut's attitude. saying he's the worst poster isn't demeaning. that's my opinion. as fans, we vote on our favorite and least favorite stuff all the time...why can't i chime in on my least favorite poster?

sounds like YOU can't handle MY opinion. :)

That's great you love differing opinions....but, why demean a person saying he's the "worst poster"? The fact that you have to say he's the worst poster (when that's not true) means you can't handle it. You only ended up demeaning yourself and making it look like you "do" have an issue. I'll look back and read your posts. If I've made a mistake thinking you are negative, I apologize. But, in doing so, do you think you could stop with the "worst poster" stuff because it's negative (and yes, it IS demeaning), it's going too far, and it ends up insulting your intelligence and maturity level in the end, not his like you are hoping. If a worst poster thread comes up, I know who I'll be voting for and it won't be Neutrocks. :thumbsdown:

Thank christ im not a die hard fan otherwise this celebration project would have made me nuts!

I think it's a wonderful project and my friends who are casual fans absolutely love it! I'm too busy in my life to focus on such hard detail with these CDs and DVD quality. It's a nice/simple compilation. Enjoy it! Enjoy Life! lol

Just bought my cd today in the United States in Santa Barbara a cd store was selling it early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND ITS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

On My CD There's no popping sounds in music!!!!!

And I love the "Express Yourself" Mix! (Sorry haters)!

Its perfect! :clap:

That's great you love differing opinions....but, why demean a person saying he's the "worst poster"? The fact that you have to say he's the worst poster (when that's not true) means you can't handle it. You only ended up demeaning yourself and making it look like you "do" have an issue. I'll look back and read your posts. If I've made a mistake thinking you are negative, I apologize. But, in doing so, do you think you could stop with the "worst poster" stuff because it's negative (and yes, it IS demeaning), it's going too far, and it ends up insulting your intelligence and maturity level in the end, not his like you are hoping. If a worst poster thread comes up, I know who I'll be voting for and it won't be Neutrocks. :thumbsdown:

I'm not going to repeat myself, bud. Think whatever you like. Neut's a big boy. So am I. I'm not trying to win any beauty pageants here. :)

------------------------

Back to the topic at hand... CELEBRATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow::bow: 85% genius, 10% iffy, 5% worst...still MADONNA!!!

(sorry Mattress) :nocomment: