Lets have some DEEPER AND DEEPER love

Dr Lecter

Guest ursaminorjim
if DAD was released as the 1st single from Erotica, even w/ that video we'd be looking at a 1000% different end result w/ Eroticas success. It a perfect pop/dance song and flawless for radio in 1992-93. Though I like it, the production is waaay out dated and I think the lyrics are superior to the production. The lyrics are catchy and smooth as hell. If Bray produced this (maybe with a sprinkle of Sheps production -- at the most) this wouldbve been epic. Shep shouldve just been on the maxi and maybe had his mix as a radio remix version, but not album version (which shoulda been Brays).

bottom line-- Erotica -- the 1st single and video was such an epic mess lol to non hardcore fans, that even if she released Vogue as single #2, she couldnt win.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure if releasing "Deeper and deeper" first would've changed Erotica's fortunes all that much. There was so much else going on at the time with Madonna that even if she'd released "Take a bow" at that time the outcome wouldn't have been that different. Besides, "Erotica" was a perfect first salvo. True, it didn't connect with a mass audience (in spite of it being a commercial hit), but it's such a strong statement of intent.

As for "Deeper and deeper," it's another perfect moment. I also agree that the production nearly lets it down (frankly, it sounds like a demo of itself in spots), but the whole aesthetic of that album is so scrappy it makes sense. And the video is a joy. Yes, paying homage to the silver Factory is hardly daring or new, but the way they did it captured an energy rather than just xeroxed the signposts. It managed to take two grimy milieus - the speed and paranoia of the Factory and the coke and self-indulgence of Studio 54 - and buff them into a celebration that for all its lascivious intent and squalid precedent was as wholesome and endearing as a pajama party. And where "Vogue" was a celebration of the individual (something of, by, and for itself), "Deeper and deeper" was a far more communal celebration, from the visuals of a disco bubbling with a floorful of ragged ass Bus Stop dancing to the song itself with its repetition and layering. It all draws the listener to join in. Magnificent.

• 2 months later...

"Deeper And Deeper" is among my top 10 favorite Madonna songs.

Picture this. Italy (okay, not Italy)... October 20, 1992. An eleven year old boy who did not yet have his own compact disc player (but who had been pining after one and knew it was only a matter of time) convinces his parents to buy the CD pressing of Madonna's new album Erotica to play <i>occasionally</i> on theirs. He sits down and listens to the album for the first time whilst dubbing a cassette copy for repeat listens on his own primitive stereo equipment. Suddenly, the "Vogue" ending of "Deeper And Deeper" kicks in and --all excited-like-- he mindlessly lunges toward the stereo and rewinds, fucking up his cassette recording.

That little boy was me, and that little boy had to listen to a glitched cassette dub of his favorite song from the new album for the better part of a week before he had the opportunity to re-record it, hands restrained. And Santa brought him a CD player two months later. <i>Thank you babyjesus.</i>

deeperremix.png

<b>Deeper And Deeper</b> [David's Radio Edit] | download

This is the promo only radio remix by David Morales which was the dominant radio version where I lived. This concise version features fuller instrumentation than the 12" length David's Klub Mix version (though, oddly, some synth string fills are missing during the middle break.) I like this version as much as (if not slightly more than) the original album version arrangement. The more prominent vocal harmonies sound lovely.

<i>That's why!...</i>

Reupload by special request: download.

Deeper And Deeper [David's Radio Edit]

The more prominent vocal harmonies sound lovely.

Ooh. Excellent, always loved that version.

I love the backing vocals that you also hear in Sheps 1990 mix of "Express Yourself", those are amazing.

Great fun video even though she looked ugly as sin. Love the song.:thumbsup:

<!--quoteo(post=750466:date=Jun 12 2009, 07:30 PM:name=Madge's Mole)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madge's Mole @ Jun 12 2009, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=750466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

bottom line-- Erotica -- the 1st single and video was such an epic mess lol to non hardcore fans, that even if she released Vogue as single #2, she couldnt win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure if releasing "Deeper and deeper" first would've changed <i>Erotica</i>'s fortunes all that much. There was so much else going on at the time with Madonna that even if she'd released "Take a bow" at that time the outcome wouldn't have been that different. Besides, "Erotica" was a perfect first salvo. True, it didn't connect with a mass audience (in spite of it being a commercial hit), but it's such a strong statement of intent.

As for "Deeper and deeper," it's another perfect moment. I also agree that the production nearly lets it down (frankly, it sounds like a demo of itself in spots), but the whole aesthetic of that album is so scrappy it makes sense. And the video is a joy. Yes, paying homage to the silver Factory is hardly daring or new, but the way they did it captured an energy rather than just xeroxed the signposts. It managed to take two grimy milieus - the speed and paranoia of the Factory and the coke and self-indulgence of Studio 54 - and buff them into a celebration that for all its lascivious intent and squalid precedent was as wholesome and endearing as a pajama party. And where "Vogue" was a celebration of the individual (something of, by, and for itself), "Deeper and deeper" was a far more communal celebration, from the visuals of a disco bubbling with a floorful of ragged ass Bus Stop dancing to the song itself with its repetition and layering. It all draws the listener to join in. Magnificent.

The best thing u've ever written.

Puds MTVE always played some edit that fades after the pillow fight..it doesn't have the intro or banana eating..

Guest Pud Whacker

The best thing u've ever written.

Puds MTVE always played some edit that fades after the pillow fight..it doesn't have the intro or banana eating..

oh, thats the worst. the intro is everything...such a great video - was not happy when it wasnt on 93:99.

I think I only saw the full video ONCE back in the day, on this late night video show. That fade after the pillow fight they shown on MTV used to always do my head in.

It's like with "Express Yourself", that was censored in the UK at the time and they didn't show anything after the crotch grabbing scene. Same goes with the start of "Vogue" with her tits and the masturbation scene in Take A Bow. Thank god I got MTV.

Guest thehiltonsuite

<!--quoteo(post=750466:date=Jun 12 2009, 07:30 PM:name=Madge's Mole)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Madge's Mole @ Jun 12 2009, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=750466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if DAD was released as the 1st single from Erotica, even w/ that video we'd be looking at a 1000% different end result w/ Eroticas success. It a perfect pop/dance song and flawless for radio in 1992-93. Though I like it, the production is waaay out dated and I think the lyrics are superior to the production. The lyrics are catchy and smooth as hell. If Bray produced this (maybe with a sprinkle of Sheps production -- at the most) this wouldbve been epic. Shep shouldve just been on the maxi and maybe had his mix as a radio remix version, but not album version (which shoulda been Brays).

bottom line-- Erotica -- the 1st single and video was such an epic mess lol to non hardcore fans, that even if she released Vogue as single #2, she couldnt win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure if releasing "Deeper and deeper" first would've changed <i>Erotica</i>'s fortunes all that much. There was so much else going on at the time with Madonna that even if she'd released "Take a bow" at that time the outcome wouldn't have been that different. Besides, "Erotica" was a perfect first salvo. True, it didn't connect with a mass audience (in spite of it being a commercial hit), but it's such a strong statement of intent.

In no way was the song Erotica an "epic mess." That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's my favorite Madonna song and it sounds as good today as it did back then.

This song is just one of my all-time Madonna favorites ( I'm an Erotica-born fan ) and even if nothing equals the original version, her Re-Invention rendition is just plain awesome...

I can't help falling in love... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

All this love makes it all the more perplexing that it's been left off the CELEBRATION CD. At least we finally get it on DVD, though! Yay for that.

Yes, I'm thrilled that it wasn't totally ignored. It's always been one of my favorites. It's so joyous and empowering -- I would've thought it would be the perfect track for an album titled 'Celebration!'

Guest bluejean

It's a GREAT song, very underrated.

It's the only exclusion from 'Celebration' that really shocked me.

Apart from the fact it wasn't a big hit, the only other reason I can imagine it was excluded is because it's seen as abit of a Vogue rehash. (I don't personally think it is.) There's also a similarity to Hung Up in the melody.

I recall there was talk of it being used in the Confessions tour but it was dropped. It would have fit right in on that tour.

I love the backing vocals that you also hear in Sheps 1990 mix of "Express Yourself", those are amazing.

I love those backing vocals, too... almost like she's kidding around in the studio, singing in a faux man-voice ("you'll never come down" etc.). So much fun. (Otherwise, though, that mix hasn't aged very well... wish you could hear her alternate vocals in another mix, too...)

This is probably my favorite Madonna song, I wish M would have included in her Confessions tour right after Erotica. It also sucks that it wasn't included in Celebration, oh well...

Edited by JonathanBB