Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread!

hesser

I'd love to read some album reviews from Usa Today, NY Post etc

Here are two of my favorites. The first is from the December 15, 1994 issue of Rolling Stone magazine:

Rolling Stone

After the drubbing she has taken in the last few years, Madonna deserves to be mighty mad. And wounded anger is shot through her new album, Bedtime Stories, as she works out survival strategies. While always a feminist more by example than by word or deed, Madonna seems genuinely shocked at the hypocritical prudishness of her former fans, leading one to expect a set of biting screeds. But instead of reveling in raised consciousness, Bedtime Stories demonstrates a desire to get unconscious. Madonna still wants to go to bed, but this time it's to pull the covers over her head.

Still, in so doing, Madonna has come up with some awfully compelling sounds. In her retreat from sex to romance, she has enlisted four top R&B producers: Atlanta whiz kid Dallas Austin, Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Dave "Jam" Hall and Britisher Nellee Hooper (Soul II Soul), who add lush soul and creamy balladry. With this awesome collection of talent, the record verily shimmers. Bass-heavy grooves push it along when more conventional sentiments threaten to bog it down. Both aspects put it on chart-smart terrain.

A number of songs – "Survival," "Secret," "I'd Rather Be Your Lover" (to which Me'Shell NdegéOcello brings a bumping bass line and a jazzy rap) – are infectiously funky. And Madonna does a drive-by on her critics, complete with a keening synth line straight outta Dre, on "Human Nature": "Did I say something wrong?/Oops, I didn't know I couldn't talk about sex (I musta been crazy)."

But you don't need her to tell you that she's "drawn to sadness" or that "loneliness has never been a stranger," as she sings on the sorrowful "Love Tried to Welcome Me." The downbeat restraint in her vocals says it, from the tremulously tender "Inside of Me" to the sob in "Happiness lies in your own hand/It took me much too long to understand" from "Secret."

The record ultimately moves from grief to oblivion with the seductive techno pull of "Sanctuary." The pulsating drone of the title track (co-written by Björk and Hooper), with its murmured refrain of "Let's get unconscious, honey," renounces language for numbness.

Twirled in a gauze of (unrequited) love songs, Bedtime Stories says, "Fuck off, I'm not done yet." You have to listen hard to hear that, though. Madonna's message is still "Express yourself, don't repress yourself." This time, however, it comes not with a bang but a whisper.

The second is the entry for the album in Matthew Rettenmund's Encyclopedia Madonna. The book was published in the Spring of 1995, so this was clearly a last minute addition to the book. (Hope everyone is able to read this quickie scan...)

encyclopediamadonnicabedtimestories.png

I'll see if I can find more reviews from the major publications for you, cosmic_system. :)

I could easily get this effect by playing a CD (usually the original CD, not a burned CD where the songs are 128 kpbs) on a disc man (yea, remember those?) and plugging the headphones in half-way. It's really interesting to hear it like this throughout the ROL album.[b/]

Yes! That's how I first discovered it... I had The Immaculate Collection cassette in my little, yellow, waterproof Sony walkman (:rotfl:), and the cord caught and dislodged the headphone jack.

I was all :shock: and :dramatic:.

You are so talented, Mattress. I love the tour poster. This bitch needs to hire your ass for various projects!

I think in this day and age, artists need to start extending a hand to the fans... much of the time they do it better than the 'professionals' that do a half assed job.

That's really sweet of you to say. Thanks. :vogue:

It would be cool if the opportunity to work on an official Madonna project ever presented itself but I sincerely doubt it ever would. Oh, that I had ten minutes on the phone with the producers of the forthcoming compilation...

I honestly think that if she released Bedtime Stories today, the songs would be instant #1 hits.. yes, even "Human Nature" which would have been huge.

Although the single releases would have gone like this:

"I'd Rather Be Your Lover" featuring Tupac - Yes, I'm SERIOUS. :doofus:

"Take A Bow" US/"Bedtime Story" International

"Human Nature" - this would be MUCH bigger today than now.

Announcement of "Let's Get Unconscious" Tour.

"Secret" would be the final single and would not get a video until the year 2010.

:fag:

I fixed it... here's the link to IRBYL: http://www.mediafire.com/?zmyjzmmd0yz

(Also altered the description of the effect. It cancels out sounds that fall dead center in a stereo recording, leaving you with only what falls far left and far right in the mix. I was on my way out the door for work and pretty much explained it as the exact opposite, lol.)

Thank u..... x.

Okay I had not seen this '95 DIVA comparison b4.. :wow:

Whitney : 'Before Madonna there was Babyface & I, need I say more?' :chuckle:

The Bedtime Story party fan i mentioned earlier is there as well... :lol:

just wanted to say that I LOOOOVE LOVE LOVE whoopiedoo's siggy. It's clean and simple and showcases the 4 amazing videos from Bedtime Stories. Love it! You should make one for every album :)

I'd love to read some album reviews from Usa Today, NY Post etc

Here's some from my scrapbook, some of which I sent to a few people :vanitybonet:

Really would love to FINALLY get that website up, but oh the effort :dramatic:

These reviews are from Melody Maker and the NME

melodymakerbsmall.jpg

full quality scan - http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/79/melodymakerbs.jpg

nmebsreviewcaptionpicsm.jpg

HQ - http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1043/nm...wcaptionpic.jpg

bsnmesmaller.jpg

HQ - http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1749/bsnmel.jpg

"It's still none of your business, still." (then proceeds to smile politely)

:lmao:

she cracks me up!!!

Such a crack ho :lmao:

I'mma adopt that "fierce reply then polite smile" into my daily repertoire :queenbitch:

Guest Pud Whacker
Thank u..... x.

LOVE IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE MORE MORE!!!

Guest Pud Whacker
Here's some from my scrapbook, some of which I sent to a few people :vanitybonet:

melodymakerbsmall.jpg

bsnmesmaller.jpg

thanks loomer!!! xoxoxoox

Guest Pud Whacker

love how in that video divas - they were saying she was OVER then, too. oh, how times NEVER change. :rotfl:

Thank u..... x.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:thumbsup: Love this...is it more or is MADONNA the ONLY exciting Diva of the bunch, she draws fire and excitement!!!

Thank u..... x.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wish i was a grown up in the 90s

when america still cared about Madonna :bow:

The second is the entry for the album in Matthew Rettenmund's Encyclopedia Madonna. The book was published in the Spring of 1995, so this was clearly a last minute addition to the book. (Hope everyone is able to read this quickie scan...)

encyclopediamadonnicabedtimestories.png

I'll see if I can find more reviews from the major publications for you, cosmic_system. :)

I love you!

I actually have the RS book with all the interview/reviews and the Encyclopedia..but I'm lazy! :nocomment:

I can't wait for more reviews!!!

melodymakerbsmall.jpg

bsnmesmaller.jpg

THANK YOU!!!!

just wanted to say that I LOOOOVE LOVE LOVE whoopiedoo's siggy. It's clean and simple and showcases the 4 amazing videos from Bedtime Stories. Love it! You should make one for every album :)

awww, thnx so much! :)

I'mma adopt that "fierce reply then polite smile" into my daily repertoire :queenbitch:

i think i'll do the same thing :lol:

Guest Eternal Flame

Survival 7/10

Secret 10/10

I'd Rather be your Lover 9/10

Don't Stop 5/10

Inside of Me 9/10

Human Nature 9/10

Forbidden Love 7/10

Love Tried to Welcome me 8/10

Sanctuary 8/10

Bedtime Story 10/10

Take a Bow 10/10

Lush album.

Thank u..... x.

:rotfl:

This just doesn't get old. That fucking crack head slays me.

She was the best during this period; at least in terms of giving interviews.

I agree. Erotica launched her fallout with the media which came to a boil with the David Letterman interview in 1994. Post-Letterman, Pre-Evita interviews, where the shit had just been kicked out of her, are her most interesting to watch. Most of the artifice and nerves were stripped away and was at her most vulnerable and authentic.

Once media focus lovingly shifted to "Mama Madonna" and the good marks for Evita through Ray Of Light came in, her ego fully rebooted, she began using interviews as a platform for waxing Kabbalah-sophical and she fast became the Madonna we see in interviews today. For better or worse.