The new song on the tour - any guesses?

jonski43

Anna's signature now is "ce ce celebrate!" so unless the Old School segment is revamped so "Heartbeat" can be dropped, I guess we're gonna have another tour that has "Holiday" as the last song... :sour:

Holiday as a closer is a thousand times better than the very weak GI2M. Don't get me wrong, the song is not that bad and it probably would have worked better in the middle of the show or the second to last song instead of that dreadful Hung Up Rock version. ROL is boring now and I'm sorry but that wasn't one of my top songs from the album. Heartbeat had the potential to be a "memorable" performance but it seemed slow and boring for such an upbeat song. Perhaps this one can be saved for the second go round? Maybe it's not the songs themselves that are bugging me and others but the whole arrangement and choreography of some of them that are. SL IMO sounds great live but another lackluster performance. Maybe the flamenco dance is for SL instead.

Guest Danny86
"Holiday" is Madonna's "Piano Man," too. :) Though she hasn't performed it inthe last two tours, Billy Joel and Prince probably would not do a tour without doing their two songs.

It's not. She has so many other songs that can be considered as real tour signature hits. The only reason why "Holiday" is named like this because it was one of the 2 hits she bothered to sing in 2000-2001. In the 90s she dissed some of her other songs, but not "Holiday", yet last year she did say she would not like to sing it again. Let's hope it stays that way. :p

It's not. She has so many other songs that can be considered as real tour signature hits. The only reason why "Holiday" is named like this because it was one of the 2 hits she bothered to sing in 2000-2001. In the 90s she dissed some of her other songs, but not "Holiday", yet last year she did say she would not like to sing it again. Let's hope it stays that way. :p

How can you say Holiday it's not a signature song live it's a mistery.

Last year the played the song right after GI2M and EVERYBODY were singing and dancing.

In Paris it was great, and it was a fucking stadium.

This is not Paris but it's the only video on youtube

Danny, I agree that M has more than one song that could be considered a signature song- LAV and MG, for instance. Along with "Holiday," LAV was performed on The Girlie Show- but then it was not on DWT or re-Invention. Fact is, excluding "request sections," "Holiday" is her most-performed song on tour.

"Holiday" is one of her most universally appealing tracks, to boot, so that's another thing in its favor.

And bite your tongue- "Holiday" is in my top 5 Madge songs of all time, so she could never do it enough times. :gent:

Guest Johnkm

I hope it isnt Holiday, unless its a really good version it always ends up rubbish, the only ones I like are the Virgin Tour and Re-Invention Tour versions, the Girlie Show and Drowned World versions are just abysmal, at least for me.

Anna's signature now is "ce ce celebrate!" so unless the Old School segment is revamped so "Heartbeat" can be dropped, I guess we're gonna have another tour that has "Holiday" as the last song... :sour:

anna_henstridge wrote:

already gave a tiny hint about one new track title. more soon =]

I hope it isnt Holiday, unless its a really good version it always ends up rubbish, the only ones I like are the Virgin Tour and Re-Invention Tour versions, the Girlie Show and Drowned World versions are just abysmal, at least for me.

It's actually the opposite for me. The Re-Invention version was yuck. Virgin tour was great but the BA version was the best IMO. It stayed true to the original recording off the album. At this point the less HC tracks on the tour the better. What about any songs from Confessions? We are all assuming it's something from the 80's and it might end up being right off of Confessions. I would be satisfied if it were Jump or Get Together or even Sorry.

Guest Danny86
anna_henstridge wrote:

already gave a tiny hint about one new track title. more soon =]

That's about the GH song. Here's what Anna said about the tour songs:

actually this has to do with new material and i already gave the hints about the 2 added tour tracks.

But a while ago she did say:

not really.. its time for the good times =]

I liked the rock version of Holiday on the WTG tour. I think it's the only time that a rock version has worked.

I can understand her bringin Holiday back as she is visiting a lot of countries where she has either never been to or not been to often. I just hope she doesn't think it will work on the guitar!

Guest Danny86
"Holiday" is one of her most universally appealing tracks, to boot, so that's another thing in its favor.

Wouldn't that mean it's also one of her dumbest? ;) *bites tongue*

Don't get me wrong, I'm no "Holiday" hater, I consider the BAT rendition essential and the GS version is cool too, it's just that her music in the last 15 years eclipsed those kind of tracks from her first 2 albums. At the very least, "Music" took the place of "Holiday" when it comes to universal appeal and "come together" message on tours.

I understand that it's her first hit, but it's not her biggest ever hit and she reached bigger success dozens of more times, so I don't see the point of holding onto the song that much and making it to be her most defining song. She didn't even have a hand in writing it either and since it had no video, there's no image in particular attached to it.

I know it's the most performed songs on tour but I consider that as a coincidence and not something Madonna aimed to do since day 1, like Prince with "Purple Rain", who explicitly said he'd always perform this song as a "thank you" several times already...

Not too long ago, Madge once said "Holiday" was one of her favorites (we know that she's fickle, but still). And, since it's a pretty ACCLAIMED track, you best be joking that it's one of her "dumbest." :) I'm sure she said she didn't want to sing it because she's just tired of singing it (because it's been done so much).

Eclipsed, how? I prefer "Holiday" to "Music" any day ofthe week (and I think "Music" is pretty dang good). And "Borderline" remains in my top10 fave Madge tracks ever (another acclaimed track, mind you).

The images attached to "Holiday" would be live performances- the BAT probably has the most memorable one, since it was featured in the documentary. For me, the GS performance encompasses what the song is about- fun and frothy, but still with an underlying message.

Anyhow, I didn't attend S&S, so she could do what she wants, as long as the DVD has "Borderline." :)

Yeah, didn't Madonna during the Hard Candy radio phone interviews claim that she doesn't want to sing "Holiday" anymore?

Why don't she add La Isla Pala Tute to that list also. The S&S version of Music is by far the worst. I liked the Confessions disco version the best.

Over the course of the last ten or twenty years or so she has said she wouldn't sing Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Express Yourself and Holiday at different times, all of which have made recent appearances.

That's women for you! :bedtimestorynyc:

The S&S version of Music is by far the worst. I liked the Confessions disco version the best.

I agree, the S&S arrangement is lacking, but then again Music Inferno was brilliant on the Confessions Tour. I honestly don't see how she will ever be able to top that version.

I agree, the S&S arrangement is lacking, but then again Music Inferno was brilliant on the Confessions Tour. I honestly don't see how she will ever be able to top that version.

Though others disagree, Stuart Price IMO is a better music director even though all he seems to use is a mac to create the music. Though it was nice to hear real drums this time instead of the "tin can" sound. I don't see the point of the DJ on this tour. They'll probably find a way to mess up Holiday if it is indeed the new song for the tour. She can't do the stardust mix variations anymore, a rock version has been done already for WTG but it sounded good, unless she does the '83 version and puts it in the ol skool section??

Guest Danny86

The DJ is like a show element, he only appears for "Into The Groove" & "Music" if I'm not wrong. He was not the musical director of the show, although many speculate that he brought the mash-ups to Madonna.

They can always make a new mash-up for "Holiday". Other possibilities are the track sung over the music of a newer song (like "Lucky Star" CT or "Vogue" on this tour) i.e. "Beat Goes On" or "Give It 2 Me" or a brand new remix by Oakenfold or something...

Yeah, didn't Madonna during the Hard Candy radio phone interviews claim that she doesn't want to sing "Holiday" anymore?

She said several times the same thing for Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Vogue...

Guest Danny86
She said several times the same thing for Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Vogue...

All that probably started in 1994 when she dissed "Material Girl" & "Into The Groove" and said she would not like to sing them again (but no mention of "LAV" because she just came off a reinvented version of it), then in 1998 "Vogue" & "LAV" joined that, but it took her years to re-embrace these song. And it's not like she's performing any of these songs with joy, she only does them because of audience response, "ITG" on this tour is the clear example, towards the end of the tour she didn't even bother to sing it live anymore but she made the audience sing along and do screams for her 58 times...

She dismissed "Holiday" with "LAV" last year so it would be weird if she changed her mind already. She should save "Holiday" for the 2017 tour. :p

All that probably started in 1994 when she dissed "Material Girl" & "Into The Groove" and said she would not like to sing them again (but no mention of "LAV" because she just came off a reinvented version of it), then in 1998 "Vogue" & "LAV" joined that, but it took her years to re-embrace these song. And it's not like she's performing any of these songs with joy, she only does them because of audience response, "ITG" on this tour is the clear example, towards the end of the tour she didn't even bother to sing it live anymore but she made the audience sing along and do screams for her 58 times...

She dismissed "Holiday" with "LAV" last year so it would be weird if she changed her mind already. She should save "Holiday" for the 2017 tour. :p

She NEVER dissed Holiday.She said she was bored with it.But she didn't perform the song on the last two tours, so I don't get why you are so shocked.

If she doesn't want to sing a song she doesn't, like Ganbler, the whole WTG soundtrack etc.Last time she perfmormed two hits like Causing A Commotion and Open Your Heart was in 1990 and the audience loves those songs.

So the whole "she's not performing those songs with joy but only for the audience response" is just your opinion and not a fact at all, since there are tons of other hits the audience loves that she's not doing since 1990 or even before.

And sorry...the ITG thing is just lame.I guess she hates Hung Up and GI2M then?.. :confused:

She NEVER dissed Holiday.She said she was bored with it.But she didn't perform the song on the last two tours, so I don't get why you are so shocked.

If she doesn't want to sing a song she doesn't, like Ganbler, the whole WTG soundtrack etc.Last time she perfmormed two hits like Causing A Commotion and Open Your Heart was in 1990 and the audience loves those songs.

So the whole "she's not performing those songs with joy but only for the audience response" is just your opinion and not a fact at all, since there are tons of other hits the audience loves that she's not doing since 1990 or even before.

And sorry...the ITG thing is just lame.I guess she hates Hung Up and GI2M then?.. :confused:

If she can enjoy performing HU & enjoy lyrics like 'My sugar Raw' she can perform

any old song...she must b tired of some of the HC tracks by now...

:thumbsup: Lame is not the word. I would have been happier with another oldie cause she performed it during RIT and it was WAAAYYY better than the 2008 version. I like the Vogue performance but wouldn't have been disappointed if it wasn't performed. Human Nature was also pointless!! Like someone said, so many "classics" that haven't been performed for over 20 years and it seems we keep getting the same ones over and over again though LAV was a shock for CT. I wouldn't mind Holiday but judging from the RIT mix, she's better off leaving it for the next tour, not totally locking it away for all eternity.

Guest Danny86

I think it's pretty much a given that Madonna prefers to sing her recent tracks (including "Candy Shop" which seems to be one of her all time favourites as of now) over her 80s tracks, especially those she didn't even write. If she's gonna do "Holiday" again, it won't be because she's dying to sing it and got bored of "Give It 2 Me" already.

Well, she has a rep for staying with the present and not looking back too much. Look at DWT, the peak of that- granted, she had materail from two of her best albums (ROL, Music) that she wanted to perform, but, still.

Some of the Re-Invention Tour performances of classics may have been a bit "lazy," but it was still great hearing them. From what I saw of ITG on S&S, it looks cool, with the jumproping and all.

Back when doing Girlie Show, she also said how LAB and Holiday were "old songs," so for her to perform them with a lot of emotion, whatnot, she had to present them in new arrangements. "Holiday" from that tour wasn't all that different, though, outside of the military flavor.

Back when doing Girlie Show, she also said how LAB and Holiday were "old songs," so for her to perform them with a lot of emotion, whatnot, she had to present them in new arrangements. "Holiday" from that tour wasn't all that different, though, outside of the military flavor.

That's a funny point that you make. LIB came out in 1987... the GS Tour was in 1993... only 6 years old, but yet it felt like an oldie at that point.

Please, in her mind, "Hung Up" is an oldie but goodie. :lol:

LIB had even more of a Latin flair on GS than in its original form, so even with that, she kept to that mentality of having a new arrangement. She really did set the whole "changing-arrangements-in-concert" trend into motion with LAV in 1990, though. After that, it became very common for acts to perform drastically different live renditions of older tracks.

But that's one of the things that are great about her- she attempts to keep performances fresh and not just have them be recycled from past tours ("Don't Tell Me" on RIT being an exception- well, there was a little newness added, via the mix of a backing instrumental- i.e. "Bittersweet Symphony"- in parts- but a lot of the choreography was a rehash)

The remixes on the Confessions Tour worked really well for both Music Inferno and Erotica. It's great she attempts to remix old songs but I suppose some won't work as well as she had hoped. ITG is ok but I think partly doesn't work as the performance just isn't that great. Like Music on S&S it's taken an iconic track and turned it into a filler track. These are the tracks where she should be getting the crowd involved. Instead, she just tits about in a pair of stupid sunglasses trying to look 15.

Madonna isn't great at getting the audience involved. I've been to five of her concerts and sometimes don't feel I am part of it like I do when I see other artists.

The remixes on the Confessions Tour worked really well for both Music Inferno and Erotica. It's great she attempts to remix old songs but I suppose some won't work as well as she had hoped. ITG is ok but I think partly doesn't work as the performance just isn't that great. Like Music on S&S it's taken an iconic track and turned it into a filler track. These are the tracks where she should be getting the crowd involved. Instead, she just tits about in a pair of stupid sunglasses trying to look 15.

Madonna isn't great at getting the audience involved. I've been to five of her concerts and sometimes don't feel I am part of it like I do when I see other artists.

:lmao: