Pet Shop Boys were to produce for Hard Candy

Guest ursaminorjim
I agree. I don't see how Give It 2 Me isn't US radio-friendly when Lady GaGa releases the same type of tracks and is pop's newest superstar.

Well, the production on "Give it 2 me" is far rawer than anything Gaga has released. Sonically, they're just in different strata.

Factor in that Madonna's older and doesn't dress like like a hooker from the Fortress of Solitude, and there's even less reason for programmers to pay attention.

Guest ursaminorjim
That's why the song did pretty well worldwide. :rotfl:

Well, obviously I meant for the US, silly boots!

The UK and Europe will play any old tat. :lol:

Thank god they kept it, its one of my ALL TIME FAVES

They better do it live when i see them in a couple of months

BEAT

HEART BEAT

got this from dm

Yesterday Pet Shop Boys gave media the chance to pre-listen to "Yes", their forthcoming new record, in London, for review purposes only and, after the album listening, Neil Tennant (Pet Shop Boys frontman) held a Q&A session with reporters.

One of the several questions they asked was about Pet Shop Boys latest (scrapped) collaborations and Neil shockingly stated that after remixing "Sorry" in 2006, they were contacted again by Warner, in 2007, and asked to write & produce some tracks for an album Madonna was planning at the time (which later became "Hard Candy")

Sadly, the same week Warner's changed mind and according to Neil own words "we got told to forget it as they decided to shove her down the r&b route" Neil stated Parlophone asked them to write for Kylie's "X" as well, before deciding to send Minogue out to other producers instead (one of the tracks featured on "Yes" (titled "Pandemonium") was actually written & demoed for her, along with other 5 cuts)

Source: PopJustice

I think M wanted to go down the R&B route......the label does not force her to do anything.

I dont know what this US radio-friendly means anyway. Dance music has proven a point. It sells in the USA. We have Rihanna to thank for that although its clear that COADF inspired them all.

I agree. I don't see how Give It 2 Me isn't US radio-friendly when Lady GaGa releases the same type of tracks and is pop's newest superstar.

I'm a PSBs obsessive and even I think it's wrong

I also agree with whoever was on the first page saying their Sorry remix blowed - it did

And it's a mutual influence as well, Tennant was always a fan of Into The Groove and he stole its bassline for one of their signature hits in their imperial phase - when US audiences still bought their records.

Oh and someone on Say Gay once posted that Neil said how much he wanted "In Denial" to be a Madonna duet but he had to make do with KYLIE :chuckle: and got her to sing "as much like Madonna as possible".

Then came the vicious reviews of Nightlife (their worst album I think) especially directed towards them using Kylie. Oh dear!

Guest Danny86
I dont know what this US radio-friendly means anyway. Dance music has proven a point. It sells in the USA. We have Rihanna to thank for that although its clear that COADF inspired them all.

COADF inspired nothing in the US. Most of the "dance music" on US charts is thanks to Timbaland's production for "Maneater" and mostly "SexyBack".

Garry Mulholland's The 500 Greatest Singles Since Punk And Disco (recently been copied by the ghastly Pitchfork) has the answer to this.. basically New Order copied the Pets gay disco (and New Order themselves were a Pets inspiration and got there first and based their signature song on Donna Summer and an Italo disco record - look up Blue Monday on Wiki) and Tennant was a huge fan of Into The Groove. The NME in the 80s were also crazy for Madge's ITG - though more for Ciccone/Sonic Youth and their cover of ITG.

http://rocklist.net/ is a site to spend hours on for download recommendations. In particular I like the UK publications NME, Melody Maker, The Sounds, Record Mirror and The Face.. those were the big hitter music papers in the 80s.

I started reading Smash Hits in the shit late 80s SAW/Bros era, then graduated to chart geeky but better music Record Mirror, then the NME.. which I really know TOO much about and used to have crushes on the music journos there :blink:.

One day, like Morrissey, I dreamt of working there :wacko::crazy: not now! - he wrote some letters to them - http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/moz-mb.htm

Morrissey, Chrissie Hynde, Patti Smith (Moz, Stipe and PJ Harvey heroin and amazing andrognyous goddess) and of course Tennant at Smash Hits (the jewel in the crown of 80s journalism perhaps, very subtle, but it inspired a league of youngsters from the mid 80s) and Bob Stanley of Saint Etienne and a guy from the incredible Black Box Recorder were/are all music journos and former fan turned Madge hater Julie Burchill was one of the punk NME writers. The cliche goes that music hacks are failed popstars.

Thank god they kept it, its one of my ALL TIME FAVES

They better do it live when i see them in a couple of months

BEAT

HEART BEAT

It's all kinds of brilliant, isn't it? The amazing intro was a happy accident, to quote Neil "(we) asked Julian Mendolsohn to mix the song for the album. He took out the guitar because he said it was too complicated, and he accidentally wiped a bit off the track - that's why it comes in going 'beat beat heartbeat."

I love that the track was intended for Madonna OR Hazel Dean. Madonna or Hazel Dean? What an impossible choice.

I'm not sure, ursaminorjim will know.. it's either West End Girls in an added layer of irony (1985 version before the ultra loons jump in with the Bobby Orlando originals) or Suburbia I think

Bobby Orlando! God, I LOVE The Flirts, Passion is one of my all time favourites. I've been getting myself reacquainted recently with the genius of Italo disco and Hi-NRG and have found some great finds on Youtube (like the below).

Youtube is full of Italo disco. It's all too much :wow:

I love the Laura Brannigan-influencing (or rip off) "Helpless". Orlando was obsessed with Abba and even had a song called "Voulez Vous".

Unbelievably he was a homophobe though :lmao: didn't he work with the mighty DIVINE?

Unbelievably he was a homophobe though :lmao: didn't he work with the mighty DIVINE?

Yeah, I heard that...the most gay, poppers fuelled, nancy music known to man, created by a homophobe. His legacy will always be aligned with the gays, oh the sweet irony. And yes, he worked with Divine, maybe that's what turned him?

Youtube is just getting better and better of late, some lost gems to be found.

I had no idea that Queen Laura Brannigan's Self Control was ANOTHER cover - till I saw the vid on youtube.

Cheyne's Call Me Mr Telephone is also a cover. She was a bit snippy with me on youtube. "I listen to The Clash and Los Lobos - you know, real music.. lol!".

Um, bitch, I know more about music and have better taste than YOU

Guest nothingfails0603

I think Opportunities is probably the track that ITG inspired, you can kinda hear a few small similarities in the basslines

• 4 weeks later...
Guest d'kat

AAAAWWWW NOOOO!! what a missed opportunity!! hopefully the psb and madonna will hook up sometime in the future. THEY NEED TO WORK TOGETHER, the music would be so cool!

AAAAWWWW NOOOO!! what a missed opportunity!! hopefully the psb and madonna will hook up sometime in the future. THEY NEED TO WORK TOGETHER, the music would be so cool!

come on after Confessions On a Dance Floor it would have sounded like Confessions part 2 almost. And she would have been Cher 2 (Believe and then Believe 2 (aka Living Proof).

or not, too many divas in one room...anyway, what i still don´t understand is why she get rid of Stuart so quikly, it´s not her usual way to work

or not, too many divas in one room...anyway, what i still don´t understand is why she get rid of Stuart so quikly, it´s not her usual way to work

I suppose it seems that way since he was the main producer on COADF only. But, remember he worked with her on tour for many years prior and they did X-Static Process together on AL. Plus he still does mixes for her so they have actually worked together for about 8 years in one way or another at this point. For M, that's not too bad I guess! :lol:

Guest Danny86
I suppose it seems that way since he was the main producer on COADF only. But, remember he worked with her on tour for many years prior and they did X-Static Process together on AL. Plus he still does mixes for her so they have actually worked together for about 8 years in one way or another at this point. For M, that's not too bad I guess! :lol:

Yeah, that's spot on. Also, they DID start working on some music after the CT, I think Stuart himself confirmed this, but Madonna probably only wanted him for a couple of songs and realized she couldn't use any of them next to Timbaland & The Neptunes, that's my guess. Stuart himself encouraged Madonna to work with those people, that's why I think this PSB quote is way off.

And it's a mutual influence as well, Tennant was always a fan of Into The Groove and he stole its bassline for one of their signature hits in their imperial phase - when US audiences still bought their records.

chris said that Suburbia´s bassline is really similat to Into the groove´s one , but I never heard him saying he stole it.Anyway, i expected more from Sorry´s remix, but oviously I´m alone there

Guest d'kat
come on after Confessions On a Dance Floor it would have sounded like Confessions part 2 almost. And she would have been Cher 2 (Believe and then Believe 2 (aka Living Proof).

no it wouldn't! pet shop boys stuff doesn't sound anything like her confessions stuff. nor is it like cher either! the music would have been cool!