UK Charts - Dec 9 - All I Want For Christmas is Leona

Guest Hafo

82k is still VERY LOW for someone who was constantly in the UK press for 2 and a half years and had 2 successful tours at the same time. And I don't know where you get the positive word of mouth - most of the UK reviews are quite negative and X was just named as one of the worst albums of 2007. :p

82k is not VERY LOW in the current UK albums market, regardless of her status. She has never had a fanbase where she is guaranteed huge sales. Even Fever started off with good, not great sales. You think because she had cancer that 250k are going to be sold first week?

2 Hearts has not done as well as expected yet DESPITE this not only has she managed to sell more opening week than all studio albums except Fever, she has managed to maintain a position well within the top ten 2nd week. LY and BL both fell straight out of the top ten, with number 1 leading singles. The reviews haven't been great, the single has not done as well. It is therefore likely that the strong second week sales are because people who have listened to the album are singing its praises to others.

Sales are generally lower this year and few acts are opening with 100k or more, whatsoever. Her starting sales are better than all opening weeks for all other major albums since October except Leona, Westlife, The Eagles and Shayne Ward. Here are the opening weeks sales for many major releases that are less than X:

50753 Katherine Jenkins

49065 Girls Aloud

75787 Spice Girls

58009 Led Zeppelin

55592 Celine Dion

36859 Whitney Houston

36514 McFly

42207 Britney Spears

55185 Hoosiers

53540 Sugababes

If loads of acts were selling 100k plus and she wasn't, then I would agree in parts that 82k is VERY LOW. However, the overall FACTS do not point to this.

Wednesday Update :boring:

SINGLES

1 Leona

2 T2

3 Girls Aloud

Top 10

Elvis Presley

Kylie

Top 20

Mariah Carey

Soulja Boy

Arctic Monkeys

Pogues/Kirsty

Top 30

Andy Williams

Cascada

Sugababes

Peter Gelderblom

Enemy

Wham

Top 40

Foo Fighters

Wizzard

Shakin' Stevens

J Holiday

ALBUMS

1 Leona

2 Westlife

3 Shayne Ward

5 Kylie

Top 20

Cascada

McFly

---

Still no Dannii in the Top 40 :(

Thanks for this, I take it there is no sales info at the moment.

82k is not VERY LOW in the current UK albums market, regardless of her status. She has never had a fanbase where she is guaranteed huge sales. Even Fever started off with good, not great sales. You think because she had cancer that 250k are going to be sold first week?

2 Hearts has not done as well as expected yet DESPITE this not only has she managed to sell more opening week than all studio albums except Fever, she has managed to maintain a position well within the top ten 2nd week. LY and BL both fell straight out of the top ten, with number 1 leading singles. The reviews haven't been great, the single has not done as well. It is therefore likely that the strong second week sales are because people who have listened to the album are singing its praises to others.

Sales are generally lower this year and few acts are opening with 100k or more, whatsoever. Her starting sales are better than all opening weeks for all other major albums since October except Leona, Westlife, The Eagles and Shayne Ward. Here are the opening weeks sales for many major releases that are less than X:

50753 Katherine Jenkins

49065 Girls Aloud

75787 Spice Girls

58009 Led Zeppelin

55592 Celine Dion

36859 Whitney Houston

36514 McFly

42207 Britney Spears

55185 Hoosiers

53540 Sugababes

If loads of acts were selling 100k plus and she wasn't, then I would agree in parts that 82k is VERY LOW. However, the overall FACTS do not point to this.

Thanks. That was a good analysis. :thumbsup:

I didnt realise that Kylie sold double than Britney. So if Kylie's X is a flop, how can we call Britney's Blackout? :demonic:

You forgot a small detail, aeroco: sales in December are much higher than sales in previous months. That really helped Kylie. I am not sure if she had done 82K had it been released in July or October.

Same situation as GHV2: It opened at #2 with sales over 90K, but it was defeated by Westlife.

The fact that Shayne Ward and Westlife on their 3rd week sold more than her puts things in perspective. A solid debut by X, but nothing to be too proud of.

You forgot a small detail, aeroco: sales in December are much higher than sales in previous months. That really helped Kylie. I am not sure if she had done 82K had it been released in July or October.

Same situation as GHV2: It opened at #2 with sales over 90K, but it was defeated by Westlife.

The fact that Shayne Ward and Westlife on their 3rd week sold more than her puts things in perspective. A solid debut by X, but nothing to be too proud of.

I agree with you that sales are higher as the year approaches Xmas - it is simply a solid debut like you state.

Never have I said this is a great opening week, just that relatively to other releases, the marketplace and her previous albums, it is not VERY LOW.

The point of listing these sales is to show that few acts are managing more than 100k, unlike previous years. Usually there are many acts who open around 100k or more.

Sales are higher in Nov and December but for everyone though. The artists listed above didnt reach 80k, and where released at a similar time.

True that Kylie would have never moved 82k in a more quiet period saleswise, but we forget here that Kylie isnt a big album seller. 82k for her is more than ok. If Madonna released a studio album and sold only that amount, then I would consider it a failure.

Kylie doesn't have such a big fanbase to sell many more CDs in the first week.

Edited by franxisco66

According to you, last week she was going to struggle to sell 50k, because all the loons bought multiple copies on Monday. She ended up on 82k.

Divide 82 by 3 (the number of formats it was available in) and you have less than 50k.

She is going to sell at least 50k this week.

And? That's fucking DIRE for a *supposed* national treasure in the first week in December. In fact top 10 with a total fo 50k is fucking DIRE for any act in December. :lmao:

or because the album is receiving positive word of mouth, despite your "efforts"

:rotfl:

YOU WISH :lmao:

Divide 82 by 3 (the number of formats it was available in) and you have less than 50k.

And? That's fucking DIRE for a *supposed* national treasure in the first week in December. In fact top 10 with a total fo 50k is fucking DIRE for any act in December. :lmao:

:rotfl:

Another desperate comeback from you. You have to laugh. So everyone who bought X last week was a loon buying three copies each. She sure has a lot of loons. In fact a towns worth of loons. What would you call a place like that? Hell or paradise?????

Thanks. That was a good analysis. :thumbsup:

I didnt realise that Kylie sold double than Britney. So if Kylie's X is a flop, how can we call Britney's Blackout? :demonic:

:rolleyes:

You are obessesed with Britney you Kylie loon, at least Britney has the PRIVILEGE to have a WORLDWIDE fanbase, so if she flops in the UK, US, or whatever country, she makes up with other territories, unlike Kylie.

Poor thing, GET A LIFE.

Guest Eternal Flame

Yeah because everyone who bought the album got 3 copies. :manson:

Guest FuckBuddy

honey, u start losing your charm here.

as if kylie's the first artist to have released a special edition along with the usual cd. oh, and i won't even comment on the third format that costs about 25 pounds. not quite a bargain even for the biggest loons, now is it?

Guest northernlad

Have just checked and "Sing's" physical release hasn't materialised. Oh dear!

Shit the bed! I read somewhere that Annie's "Sing" is at #212! :shock:

this is her last album with the co., we should've known they wouldn't invest more than ₤1.50 in promotion to start with. oh well, so this project is over now onto the greatest hits (probably at best promoted with a slightly remixed SoMD track) + a handful of Europe shows next year and then onto that new dance record she's pining for! I'm curious as to what path Annie will take now that her record contract is up, another label or the indie route?

:rolleyes:

You are obessesed with Britney you Kylie loon, at least Britney has the PRIVILEGE to have a WORLDWIDE fanbase, so if she flops in the UK, US, or whatever country, she makes up with other territories, unlike Kylie.

Poor thing, GET A LIFE.

Some people are obsessed with Kylie others with Britney... Whats wrong with that?

And having a worlwide fanbase doesnt make you good. And by the way.... HAD a worlwide fanbase :lmao:

You have 10,095 posts since 24 March 07, which compared with ALL other members is quite a lot...so

WHO DO YOU THINK NEEDS TO GET A LIFE? :lmao:

this is her last album with the co., we should've known they wouldn't invest more than ₤1.50 in promotion to start with. oh well, so this project is over now onto the greatest hits (probably at best promoted with a slightly remixed SoMD track) + a handful of Europe shows next year and then onto that new dance record she's pining for! I'm curious as to what path Annie will take now that her record contract is up, another label or the indie route?

she will take the madonna path!!!!

she makes up with other territories, unlike Kylie.

where? No really, i want to know if Britney is having success in any country right now, i would be glad for her, i don't want her to dissappear.

Please, again, this is a CHART forum, refrain from personal attacks if possible. There are plenty of other fora here for such purposes :p

Thursday Update

SINGLES

1 Leona (17k)

2 T2 (13.5k)

3 Girls Aloud (12.5k)

Top 10

Elvis Presley

Mariah Carey :santa:

Top 20

Soulja Boy

Enemy

Pogues/Kirsty

Arctic Monkeys

Top 30

Cascada

Andy Williams

Sugababes

Peter Gelderblom

Top 40

Wham

Wizzard

Foo Fighters

J Holiday

Shakin' Stevens

ALBUMS

1 Leona (88k) :shock:

2 Westlife (48k)

3 Shayne Ward (34k)

Top 20

Cascada

McFly

Top 50

U2

Top 60

Traveling Wilburys

Choirboys

Top 75

McFly - B Sides

Kylie is still #5 in albums but out of the Top 10 in singles.

Spirit - Leona Lewis 737,591

4th best selling album of 2007 so far. She has already jumped Take That with today's sales and then will overtake Mika in two weeks if Christmas sales are strong. Amy Winehouse is still at #1 hundreds of thousands of sales away.

From Haven forum:

Top 30 Albums of 2007 -as of last Sunday

1 Back to Black – Amy Winehouse 1,309,000

2 Life in Cartoon Motion - Mika 942,000

3 Beautiful World – Take That 784,000

4 Spirit - Leona Lewis 737,591

5 Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys 591,000

6 Yours Truly Angry Mob - Kaiser Chiefs 578,000

7 Eyes Open - Snow Patrol 514,000

8 Loose - Nelly Furtado 504,000

9 Version - Mark Ronson 449,000

10 Futuresex / Lovesounds – Justin Timberlake 439,000

11 Good Girl Gone Bad - Rihanna 421,000

12 Shock Value - Timbaland 416,000

13 Every Time we Touch - Cascada 406,000

14 Undiscovered - James Morrison 403,000

15 Costello Music – Fratellis 394,000

16 Sam's Town – The Killers 385,000

17 Alright Still - Lily Allen 376,000

18 Long Road out of Eden - The Eagles 373,000

19 These Streets – Paolo Nutini 369,000

20 Collection - Traveling Wilburys 357,000

21 Because of the Times - Kings of Leon 354,000

22 How to Save a Life - The Fray 349,000

23 Back Home - Westlife 343,000

24 One Chance - Paul Potts 339,000

25 All The Lost Souls - James Blunt 338,000

26 Echos, Silence, Patience & Grace - Foo Fighters 333,000

27 The Best Damn Thing - Avril Lavigne 324,000

28 Infinity on High - Fall Out Boy 313,300

29 Hats off to the Buskers - The View 312,600

30 Hand Built by Robots - Newton Faulkner 312,500

Thanks for the info. Sales this year haven't been too fantastic. Remember the days when the top selling album of the year would be close to the 2 million mark?

Half of the albums in the Top 10 were released in 2006 :confused:

I personally think Cascada are ewww, but in perspective it's been the only big Euro-trance act so maybe there's a void for that music in the market, thus the sales. Their new single is zooming up the charts as well.