2016 American Presidential Thread

I don't think she is going to pick Elizabeth Warren. Her personality is so strident and obnoxious. It goes against Hillary's theme to show she is grown up, dignified and adult in comparison to Trump. Plus Warren is too old. Just because she is in Orlando doesn't mean she's part of Hillary's announcement as VP. Maybe she is there to honor the victims, not to be Hillary's VP choice. Is it confirmed she's announcing it today. I thought I read she was introducing her choice tomorrow in Miami.

If it's someone other than Kaine, she might pick Corey Booker, from NJ. She likes him, he's well spoken and younger and cool.

I don't think she needs to necessarily pick someone more liberal and progressive than she is. The people in the middle decide the election. She doesn't want to scare them off with someone too far to the left.

Booker or Castro would be PERFECT if they had even just around 5 years more experience :/. W/ the endless shit going on worldwide and domestically right now that's clearly out on control...almost daily, people (esp. the middle/independents) reeally need someone who knows their shit esp w/ worldwide matters like this. Castro and Booker while def. 10x more energetic and rock stars I just dont feel it's their time...yet. If it was 2008 or 2012 they'd prob. be shoe-ins. Kaine is experienced and *earned it to the max as 'boring'/ bland as he may be. I like the guy and def. think he's the best choice objectively but concerned younger people and minorities may not be energized to come out and vote while Trumps lunatic voters are gonna come out KKK mob style in November! :#. That DNC convention better be FLAWLESS next week and the effects of it better last until in/around election day!

Most seem to believe it is going to be Kaine also. *yawn*

Honestly I really don't know much about the man so I can't fully judge but like was said. It's a pick that just isn't exciting at all.

From what I have heard Bill and Gore didn't get along too well during their time and Hillary wants a VP she can count on and since her and Kaine have been good friends for years she feels more comfortable going down that road.

Who knows.

You would think anyone who sees the type of people at the RNC and the rabid Trump supporters would be turned off and not vote for him based on that lynch mob alone. "Lock her up." Please, for what?

I feel like Tim Kaine is experienced and has the right policies but just not going to give much of a kick like Castro, Booker, Warren, or Sherrod Brown.

Ciccone's Cheeks, on 22 Jul 2016 - 6:41 PM, said:

I like the guy and def. think he's the best choice objectively but concerned younger people and minorities may not be energized to come out and vote while Trumps lunatic voters are gonna come out KKK mob style in November! :#. That DNC convention better be FLAWLESS next week and the effects of it better last until in/around election day!

Well Kaine does speak fluent Spanish so I am sure the campaign will use that like crazy to reach out to the latino vote.

Would love seeing republicans heads explode if during part of Kaine's speech at the convention he does a portion of it in Spanish. :lol:

The Virginia senator and former civil rights lawyer is seen as a polite attack dog who can appeal to voters across political and demographic spectrums.

I hope so. I really really hope so.

The BernieorBusters are throwing a shit fit. No shock there.

I am just hoping that most of these people are so young and are so incapable of seeing the bigger picture at stake and are so new to the political process that their votes really wont matter all that much anyway.

It's true. Clinton isn't a hardcore pure as the winter snow progressive. But why the hell throw away the chance to have another center left President and throw the election by voting for someone that doesn't even stand a chance like Jill Stein or....crying out loud I already forget his name which only helps to elect a maniac?

THIS is the choice. ONE OF TWO PEOPLE! No matter how much many might not like it, this is a fact.

With Hillary we get minor (or depending on the makeup of the congress) some nice steps forward as a nation, and get to FINALLY have a left leaning Supreme Court for decades.....Or we bitch and moan because she doesn't walk on water and help elect Trump who will set the progressive movement back a generation. The choice is so freakin clear to me that I don't understand how people can't grasp reality.

Guest Mauro

I should be vp and I will give equal gender rights and proper lsws to protect everybody from madness! Gay or not!

That's not what a Vice President does.

That's not what a Vice President does.

I will change the rules because I'm vice president and Hillary will succumb to my demands. Get fucked any heathen who disagrees with me!

Guest Mauro

I will change the rules because I'm vice president and Hillary will succumb to my demands. Get fucked any heathen who disagrees with me!

:lol: Again, not how it works for either party.

It's official it is Kaine.

Relatively safe/moderate choice for her, although he's basically a big "FUCK YOU" to the Bernie people & the far left wing of the Democratic party.

Get ready for meltdown in the liberal base even though it's not really warranted. VP's don't really do shit with policy...they're attack dogs and they carry water for the administration. The only prime time power he'll wield is if the Senate is 50 Dems and 50 Reps and they need a tie-breaker vote.

If I were to glean anything from these VP-pick tea leaves, I can tell you this...Hillary is going to flip-flop on TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) as soon as she's in office, and there will likely be no further Wall Street reforms (although that was unlikely anyway since the GOP will likely keep the House). I do believe she will stick with $15 minimum wage and lowering the Medicare eligibility age to 55 (but again, likely is neither to pass the House).

Relatively safe/moderate choice for her, although he's basically a big "FUCK YOU" to the Bernie people & the far left wing of the Democratic party.

Get ready for meltdown in the liberal base even though it's not really warranted. VP's don't really do shit with policy...they're attack dogs and they carry water for the administration. The only prime time power he'll wield is if the Senate is 50 Dems and 50 Reps and they need a tie-breaker vote.

If I were to glean anything from these VP-pick tea leaves, I can tell you this...Hillary is going to flip-flop on TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) as soon as she's in office, and there will likely be no further Wall Street reforms (although that was unlikely anyway since the GOP will likely keep the House). I do believe she will stick with $15 minimum wage and lowering the Medicare eligibility age to 55 (but again, likely is neither to pass the House).

I am totally ignorant when it comes to this TPP thing so I honestly can't say how I feel either way, but I wouldn't be shocked if she flips, but that will also be something that wont sit well with many voters come re-election time. She is really going to have a tight rope to walk if elected and she needs to be damn careful to not look like a total sell out.

Then again Trump pretty much picked someone who is the exact opposite of things he has been saying. His VP pick voted for the Iraq war (Even though Trump DID support it from the start no matter what bullshit he spews now).

Trump is acting all gay friendly all of a sudden now. His VP pick.....Not to much.

Pence is pro NAFTA. Trump is running on being anti- NAFTA (though I wouldn't be shocked if he was all for it back in the day as well if asked).

I am totally ignorant when it comes to this TPP thing so I honestly can't say how I feel either way, but I wouldn't be shocked if she flips, but that will also be something that wont sit well with many voters come re-election time. She is really going to have a tight rope to walk if elected and she needs to be damn careful to not look like a total sell out.

The benefit for her is that any hypotheticals about re-election assume that she wins this one, which will throw the Republican party into such a massive civil war that it could still be in disarray by 2020. The Rockefeller Republicans will take a Trump loss as their vindication, but the nativist wing has had a taste of being openly courted now and is definitely not going to shut up and get behind the Rubio or Kasich or whoever even if their figurehead fails in 2016. They'll find a new demagogue in short order, whoever woos them with walls and mass deportations next.

Here is some positive on the guy...

Still, Kaine’s nomination could hearten civil libertarians, war opponents, people concerned about gun violence, and immigration reform advocates. He has complained often about the White House’s unilateral use of war powers, and was the first Virginia governor to oppose the death penalty. He has feuded endlessly with the National Rifle Association, which is headquartered in his state, and recently called the group a “paper tiger,” since its opposition has never been enough to defeat him. He also gave the first Senate floor speech in history to be delivered in Spanish, calling for passage of an immigration reform bill.

People who know both Kaine and Clinton saw him as a choice that would help Clinton across the board.

“He’s a tremendous asset on the ticket,” said Mo Elleithee, who runs the Georgetown Institute of Politics and Public Service, and who previously advised Kaine’s Senate campaign and Clinton’s 2008 White House run.

“If first and foremost, the vice president’s role is to be able to step in, you’re not going to find anyone better,” Elleithee said.

While some in the progressive wing look askance at a former Southern governor, suspecting a Democrat in name only, some hail Kaine as progressive in his bones.

“I can assure you as a native Virginian, this caricature doesn’t at all fit the man I’ve watched over nearly 20 years,” former MSNBC commentator Krystal Ball wrote in early July.

He’s also recently been more vocal on certain issues important for the Democratic base, including reproductive rights.

Elleithee noted that Kaine used to be called the most liberal governor in Virginia history, after doing mission work in Honduras and putting his Harvard law degree to work as a civil rights attorney.

“He’s a true progressive,” said Elleithee, who could see why Clinton was comfortable with Kaine’s campaign style.

Kaine not only knows how to connect with voters, but is able to attack an opponent without turning those voters off, winning over diverse groups in cities, suburbs and the countryside.

Elleithee recalls watching Kaine when he was running for Virginia’s lieutenant governor job in 2001, after the 9/11 attacks, and being astounded at how Kaine could launch a blistering attack on an opponent and still be liked by the audience.

“I remember one speech where he had the people eating out of his hands,” Elleithee said. “It wasn’t until later that I realized, oh, my God, he just ripped his opponent’s face off, but it didn’t feel like it.”

“He can be tough, but he does it in a way that actually draws people in,” Elleithee added.

Ultimately, Clinton seems to have made the assessment that such skills are exactly what she needs for a contest against someone like Trump.

So McCain's Convention speech raked in about 8 million more viewers than Trump who is supposed to be the ratings magnet.

Maybe people are finally getting bored of his flapping vagina mouth?

It's a shame the news isn't covering this more. I thought Hillary just had some kind of rally in Orlando where she said a few words about the mass shooting there. Didn't know she did all of this as well.

Quote Breaking: Hillary Clinton Makes Unannounced Visit to Pulse Nightclub to Pay Respects
by David Badash
July 22, 2016 3:51 PM
Spent Afternoon With Families, Friends of Victims, and Held Roundtable Discussion With Community Leaders
Change the conversation, change the world
Share this

While many across the nation have been anxiously or curiously awaiting the announcement of who Hillary Clinton will choose as her vice presidential running mate, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee spent the afternoon in an unannounced private meeting with family members and friends of the victims of the Orlando Pulse nightclub hate crime mass shooting terror attack. Clinton then spent the next hour holding a roundtable discussion with community leaders, including members of Equality Florida, and, as one reporter noted, "listening."

Orlando commissioner Patty Sheehan, according to Buzzfeed's Ruby Cramer, told Clinton, "I want to thank you for not politicizing this, and for waiting until we were ready."

Rather than playing politics, Clinton is now visiting the Pulse nightclub, to pay her respects and meet with first responders. In fact, this tweet from NBC News' Alex Seitz-Wald appears to show Clinton prioritized spending time with victims' loved ones and meeting with community leaders then visiting Pulse, rather than focus on her VP announcement.