Why the world needs a brilliant new Madonna album

Also, as has been pointed out already, some fans do view American Life as the real Madonna. She said it herself that it was her most personal, and her most favorite album. I think a lot of Madonna's music is the alter ego Madonna, and it was extremely evident in MDNA's Girl Gone Wild. I think in real life Madonna is completely opposite of Hard Candy and MDNA. But this is just my opinion. I swear I don't mean to offend nobody. :)

I think even when Madonna uses a persona it still reveals something about her as a person. When anyone uses art to express themselves, the art itself and the way they do it says more about them than anything else could. The characters represented throughout Erotica are a good example of this.

Despite that though, Hard Candy and MDNA have some of M's most straight forward personal tracks. Stuff like Falling Free, I Fucked Up, IDGA, Devil, SNM, and Miles Away are straight up personal songs. But I also don't think it's fair to say songs like Candy Shop aren't authentic too. Candy Shops expresses M's cheeky side. She has a sense of humor and likes to have fun, and Candy Shop is the musical manifestation of that. All of her songs express a different side to her whether it's through a character, story, or straight from herself.

Seriously I can't with some of you. You bitch when an article is negative and you bitch when it's potitive. The same with the article about M's love life...

The article is good and he is defending Madonna, something always welcomed for a change.

Seriously I can't with some of you. You bitch when an article is negative and you bitch when it's potitive. The same with the article about M's love life...

The article is good and he is defending Madonna, something always welcomed for a change.

Yes. But it's also what makes this forum so great. People here are bitchy but at the same time, in comparison to most other forums, the level of the discussions is way higher (most of the time).

You did not say anything that could offend anyone. :thumbsup: I think Madonna expresses herself in so many different ways. She is a unique person with a great balance of being both serious and care-free. It shows in all of her types of music. Her love of dance and joy through music is expressed in so many of her pop masterpieces and her serious and thoughtful side is shown through her more introspective and serious songs. A wonderful combination that very few can achieve.

Yes. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think even when Madonna uses a persona it still reveals something about her as a person. When anyone uses art to express themselves, the art itself and the way they do it says more about them than anything else could. The characters represented throughout Erotica are a good example of this.

Despite that though, Hard Candy and MDNA have some of M's most straight forward personal tracks. Stuff like Falling Free, I Fucked Up, IDGA, Devil, SNM, and Miles Away are straight up personal songs. But I also don't think it's fair to say songs like Candy Shop aren't authentic too. Candy Shops expresses M's cheeky side. She has a sense of humor and likes to have fun, and Candy Shop is the musical manifestation of that. All of her songs express a different side to her whether it's through a character, story, or straight from herself.

Beautifully said.

ps. For the record, what's often tiring are those who seem to think that just because they personally don't like or 'feel' something she's done = "oh, that means she didn't work as hard/care/she's lazy/etc." It's kind of childish thinking to me.

Not that it's necessarily anyone specifically here, but in general, this attitude comes across a lot in Madonna 'fandom' (or any fandom really) ...

Guest SecretGarden

ps. For the record, what's often tiring are those who seem to think that just because they personally don't like or 'feel' something she's done = "oh, that means she didn't work as hard/care/she's lazy/etc." It's kind of childish thinking to me.

Not that it's necessarily anyone specifically here, but in general, this attitude comes across a lot in Madonna 'fandom' (or any fandom really) ...

I agree. If you don't like an album, song, video or tour, then you're more than free to express that. However to then assert that Madonna is somehow lazy or recording an album as an accessory to a tour or that she's too distracted is ludicrous.

Personally speaking, there are a few tracks on MDNA which I don't particularly enjoy (although I still love it as an album) however there is no reason for me to think that Madonna didn't give it her all or somehow rushed the recording of the song just because I don't enjoy it.

Also regarding the question of Madonna's most authentic and honest album, that is a hard question to answer as all her albums are like time capsules to a certain extent, they all express who she was at that certain time in her life. That is why the 2014 Madonna won't record an album like True Blue or Ray of Light as she's continuously evolving as a person and artist; as every human should.

Great Article. The underpinning of it is spot on. Whilst we all, probably outta loyalty to a great degree, try and embrace and love everything and all that Madonna does, he`s right about the last two albums.

She had been putting off recording "The R&B" infused album for years. Warner Brothers had been pushing for one to please the US market after the success of Music, but she was reluctant to go down the R&B path again, after as she quoted, "The torturous process" of Bedtime Stories. So HC turned into a producer driven project and Madonna got lost somewhere in the mix, as a please the Boardroom suits album.

MDNA, whilst having its moments of genius (Love spent - Masterpiece - I`m addicted.) was essentially a disappointing (for many) generic, lyrically banal album, that for the most part that did not lend itself to her core fans .or it seems bring new ones into the fold. Her voice has never sounded so thin, so over processed and so uninspired. It appears most tracks never evolved much beyond their demo phase. Those tracks meandered about but never actually took you anywhere. And the one track that did get a complete reworking (Gangbang) was an overlong mess that should have been left in its original version (Bang Bang Boom) Its clear that time and input was limited, so she took "Easy Street " and that is very evident to those of us who have been with Madonna right from 1982/83. MDNA is the only Madonna album that leaves nothing tangible when I listen to it, no emotive connection, with the exception of the 3 tracks mentioned. So, of course we want more this time around. It has never been more crucial for Madonna to produce a killer album. The industry will not be so forgiving with 3 under-performing albums in a row. That would fall way too far outside of Madonna`s comfort zone of always coming back and delivering the goods.....

We just want good music. Authentic Madonna, something to stimulate and excite. Its perfect timing for her to come back and show all of her "hit n miss" contemporary`s that she still has that untouchable ability to surprise, to evolve, and to reveal another layer of herself that pushes musical and emotional boundaries.

So, I have high expectations for this new Era. My faith is being restored by the process` and work ethic this time around. And it does feel as though we`re in for a big payoff. And if we don`t get it , then I`m going back to American Life. We all know, if we`re really honest, and whether you like that album or not, it was the last time she really did anything truly interesting.

PS. Am I the only one who is still craving another Madonna and Patrick Leonard album.?

Edited by bumholegeorge

Loved the article and I think he expressed himself very honestly. He wrote that he loved the MDNA tour. To me the tour was a journey just like his own personal journey with his love and admiration for her.

Love the article, but geez, no pressure or anything . . . good thing Madonna steers clear of reading articles about her, such great expectations can only lead to disappointment

I know it's safe to think HC and MDNA aren't good albums, but come on, it's so boring to be safe. Think for yourself.

SO TRUE!!!!!!!! Hating on those albums is a pure bandwagon, i hate it. It's always the same thing repeated again and again, people are just adopting others people's hate for those albums without taking the time to have an actual opinion. You're right, people need to think for themselves.

Great Article. The underpinning of it is spot on. Whilst we all, probably outta loyalty to a great degree, try and embrace and love everything and all that Madonna does, he`s right about the last two albums.

She had been putting off recording "The R&B" infused album for years. Warner Brothers had been pushing for one to please the US market after the success of Music, but she was reluctant to go down the R&B path again, after as she quoted, "The torturous process" of Bedtime Stories. So HC turned into a producer driven project and Madonna got lost somewhere in the mix, as a please the Boardroom suits album.

MDNA, whilst having its moments of genius (Love spent - Masterpiece - I`m addicted.) was essentially a disappointing (for many) generic, lyrically banal album, that for the most part that did not lend itself to her core fans .or it seems bring new ones into the fold. Her voice has never sounded so thin, so over processed and so uninspired. It appears most tracks never evolved much beyond their demo phase. Those tracks meandered about but never actually took you anywhere. And the one track that did get a complete reworking (Gangbang) was an overlong mess that should have been left in its original version (Boom Boom Pow) Its clear that time and input was limited, so she took "Easy Street " and that is very evident to those of us who have been with Madonna right from 1982/83. MDNA is the only Madonna album that leaves nothing tangible when I listen to it, no emotive connection, with the exception of the 3 tracks mentioned. So, of course we want more this time around. It has never been more crucial for Madonna to produce a killer album. The industry will not be so forgiving with 3 under-performing albums in a row. That would fall way too far outside of Madonna`s comfort zone of always coming back and delivering the goods.....

We just want good music. Authentic Madonna, something to stimulate and excite. Its perfect timing for her to come back and show all of her "hit n miss" contemporary`s that she still has that untouchable ability to surprise, to evolve, and to reveal another layer of herself that pushes musical and emotional boundaries.

So, I have high expectations for this new Era. My faith is being restored by the process` and work ethic this time around. And it does feel as though we`re in for a big payoff. And if we don`t get it , then I`m going back to American Life. We all know, if we`re really honest, and whether you like that album or not, it was the last time she really did anything truly interesting.

PS. Am I the only one who is still craving another Madonna and Patrick Leonard album.?

Boom Boom Pow? That's a Black Eyed Peas song. The demo version of Gang Bang is pure crap and I'm glad they tried something dirty and ballsy with hit (even though I think the final song lacks something).

MDNA also had more than 3 good tracks. Beautiful Killer is criminally underrated, for instance.

Love the article, but geez, no pressure or anything . . . good thing Madonna steers clear of reading articles about her, such great expectations can only lead to disappointment

I agree.

Boom Boom Pow? That's a Black Eyed Peas song. The demo version of Gang Bang is pure crap and I'm glad they tried something dirty and ballsy with hit (even though I think the final song lacks something).

MDNA also had more than 3 good tracks. Beautiful Killer is criminally underrated, for instance.

Definitely more than 3! And I think it's a stretch to say HC and MDNA "underperformed." For a 25-year-old superstar? Sure. For a woman in her mid 50s with practically zero radio support? I think she's doing more than respectably.

I love the article and i feel he's completely in tune with many Madonna fans. His thoughts on Hard Candy and MDNA have been universally shared so it will go down the that's-his-opinion- category although both Hard Candy and MDNA have good moments.

My only criticism is actually regarding the whole piece. The title of the article is "Why the world needs a brilliant new Madonna album" but ultimately it only gave his personal opinion on Madonna through the years.

I would have expected him to comment on the state of music today, on why Madonna needs to spice things up and change this copy and paste mentality which seems to be the norm today. Maybe artists are just lazy or they truly have nothing else/or better to say but if there's a word to describe the state of music today is BORING.

He could have explored the themes on why music needs a change and/ or what Madonna could or should do to contribute to it.. after all he's in the business himself.

It's a nice reading but he's not really saying anything new or significantly inspiring.

It seems to me that a lot of people who complain about Hard Candy seem to just flat out not like the fact that Madonna did that reinvention musically.

Not that they've listened to the album enough times to know they don't like it etc, but more so they just didn't want that kind of Madonna.

Personally I think it's one of the bigger musical reinventions of her career. She hadn't really done a sound similar to that when 4 Minutes came out.

I still remember hearing the December 07 snippet Timbaland played and being wowed by how different it sounded for her.

Hard Candy has some of her most underrated tracks too: Devil (huge crime it wasn't a single), Voices, Incredible.

Darren's article is good and his overall point that when Madonna really wants to make outstanding music that she can. That she is always consistently good but that she's capable of being the best when she wants to be. He didn't explain why the world needs a new brilliant Madge record but I still enjoyed the reading.

Edited by Arnian

HC had to happen: if not for anything else, only for 2 reasons: Devil and TBGO. Those should ve been the singles too, especially TBGO, its one of her best songs!

MDNA had great songs too.

However I m ready for an album like COADF that I ll listen to from start to finish with great pleasure.

Darren is obviouslly a fan, I can relate to a degree to what he is saying with the exception of AL :)

Guest bluejean

It seems to me that a lot of people who complain about Hard Candy seem to just flat out not like the fact that Madonna did that reinvention musically.

Not that they've listened to the album enough times to know they don't like it etc, but more so they just didn't want that kind of Madonna.

100% agree.

They didn't like that she was working with Timbaland/Pharrell a little too late and the whole Nelly Furtado similarities in song/production style. IF they were true fans they would have given the album a chance and found that despite it being abit of a jumping on the bandwagon type affair the songs themselves, which have Madonna written all over them, are actually great. It's a great album.

Sorry, not trying to start a tired debate on Hard Candy, but you cannot just say "if you didn't give the album a chance, you're not a true fan". What makes a TRUE fan anyway? I'm a huge fan but I totally get what Darren says in this article.

A true fan doesn't just accept everything an artist produces and loves it regardless. A true fan has their Artists back and will have an honest and forthright opinion of both praise, and esp critique on anything they deem by point of comparison to previous work to be flawed in some way.

Madonna has such hardcore, faithful and loyal fans collected over 30+ years that she has a tough ole job to keep everyone happy and to consistently produce material that lives up to all of those fans expectations........ She has set the bar so high, that the moment some fans think she`s dropped her game, even slightly, they want to express it. But surely its only because they care about the time they`ve invested in her and probably don`t want her turning into Cher (no shade, ish) after such an illustrious history.

Just goes to show how passionate Madonna fans are. They/We want her to stay unique and be forever a force that every other artist in the genre gauges themselves against. So opinions good n bad all serve a purpose in keeping Madonna relevant in a way no other artist has yet been able to sustain over such a consistently ground breaking career..

A true fan doesn't just accept everything an artist produces and loves it regardless. A true fan has their Artists back and will have an honest and forthright opinion of both praise, and esp critique on anything they deem by point of comparison to previous work to be flawed in some way.

Madonna has such hardcore, faithful and loyal fans collected over 30+ years that she has a tough ole job to keep everyone happy and to consistently produce material that lives up to all of those fans expectations........ She has set the bar so high, that the moment some fans think she`s dropped her game, even slightly, they want to express it. But surely its only because they care about the time they`ve invested in her and probably don`t want her turning into Cher (no shade, ish) after such an illustrious history.

Just goes to show how passionate Madonna fans are. They/We want her to stay unique and be forever a force that every other artist in the genre gauges themselves against. So opinions good n bad all serve a purpose in keeping Madonna relevant in a way no other artist has yet been able to sustain over such a consistently ground breaking career..

What or who brought you to this place, bumhole? I think I like you

rdr3_1_252_13-raja-sip.gif