Is M's next single a "surefire" Top 10 hit?

It's downright ridiculous how some of you not only twist the words of other posters but also try to defend every critical comment on Madonna, her voice, the sound or working method. We all love her here and while this discussion has nothing to do with her upcoming single anymore, I would only like to point out that it is absolutely OBVIOUS that M spent less time for the recording of MDNA than for her previous albums and if you can't see that, then I'm sorry for you. If some people don't like the production on GGW and think it sounds cheap, deal with it. Big deal. Jeezus

The time aspect - fair enough, but when people claim that her heart/soul wasn't in it or that her effort was lacking, that's completely subjective.

I'll add to the chorus of disagreement/discontent surrounding this particular post. You'll be hard pressed to find a single reputable source to back up your assertion that Madonna said that all she did was put her vocals on to pre-existing songs, and that's because she neither said this nor did it. William Orbit initially said that Madonna was on fire in the studio, and it was only after the album started dropping quickly that he changed his tune and complained that he felt that he didn't get to spend as much time in the studio with her as he had in the past, and that she had a lot of other stuff to deal with at the same time. Martin Solveig, on the other hand, was amazed by how hands on she was in the studio, and stated that they had a lot of time to work together and nothing seemed rushed. Your comment about "soul" is just your interpretation of William's comments - I don't recall anyone (other than disgruntled fans) stating that Madonna hadn't put much "soul" into MDNA.

I don't think people are being fair with Will Orbit. He said that she was in fire. And he said that IF she had been on fire a bit longer, they could have done wonders. But she was on fire during a short period of time because she had to to the Superbowl and start working on the tour. And she had arrived in studio pretty "late" because of the movie. So they ended up rushing up the album, instead of working on the demos, as they did for example with Gang Bang.

And Martin Solveig should shut up because he's the worst thing that has happened to Madonna musically. Even Otto Von Wernhern is better than him!

Not once in her entire career has Madonna released an album where "pretty much every song" could be a single. Does this matter? No, it does not. There's barely an artist on the planet that releases an album where every track could be a successful single.

As for Cher, her record company worked their butt off to make "Believe" a hit. Radio didn't want to know about it, but ultimately, they had to give in when the public got behind it and started pushing for it to be played. Madonna doesn't have the traditional backing of a record company any more, so it's unlikely that she's going to receive the massive promotional push required to have a "Believe" type hit. Even Pharrell said just last week that he had to work really hard to get "Happy" played on US radio, because radio programmers didn't want to know about it. As it was, it took four months for the song to reach #1 in the US, even though it had been a smash worldwide since late 2013. This is a guy who was involved in two of the biggest hits of 2013. If radio programmers aren't interested in playing his brand new single, Madonna's got an uphill battle.

Of course, internationally, age isn't as much of an issue (except in Australia, where it is becoming increasingly so), so Madonna should be fine.

But what do radio programmes want? Dark Horse? If they didn't want happy, from he man behind the Neptunes, the man behind Get Lucky... they are just a bunch of stupid people. And music business should beware what's happening there, because maybe if nowadays top10 is mediocre is because of them, and not because of the public.

It's downright ridiculous how some of you not only twist the words of other posters but also try to defend every critical comment on Madonna, her voice, the sound or working method. We all love her here and while this discussion has nothing to do with her upcoming single anymore, I would only like to point out that it is absolutely OBVIOUS that M spent less time for the recording of MDNA than for her previous albums and if you can't see that, then I'm sorry for you. If some people don't like the production on GGW and think it sounds cheap, deal with it. Big deal. Jeezus

I pretty much quoted Orbit verbatim in my post, so I'll take his word over pure assumption from fans who.....let's face it, would like the album more had it been the "hit" they envisioned. I'm 100% confident that if MDNA had the exact same songs but had produced a major worldwide hit or even if the approach to the single releases had been different, that the perception of being a "soulless" album would be virtually non existent......I will say if COADF hadn't been the major hit it was, it would not be viewed as one of her best as many fans feel. People like to act like a hit album doesn't sway opinion, but it does. The time spent working on albums has always fluctuated throughout the years, but 95% of the time, it's a year from time of announcement to release, MDNA was no exception to that. Also, let's not forget that Madonna is pretty much ALWAYS writing, even when she's not "working on an album".

Sorry, but that theory that surfaces now and then "oh, it was a flop, that's why fans complain" is not true. American Life is LOVED by majority of fans. The same with Erotica. Hard CAndy had a bombastic number one and many fans didn't like. And the same with MDNA.

Many fans want Madonna albums to be a musical experience, not a vehicle to make a tour. it's that simple. And Madonna did write less in MDNA than with Confessions, for example.

You just have to read the composers: for Confessions most songs are Madonna/Price or Madonna/Mirwais. For Hung up there are more writers because of the sample. The others that have more than them are the Bloodshy and Avant Ones.

1. «Hung Up» Madonna, Stuart Price, Benny Andersson,Björn Ulvaeus Madonna, Stuart Pricenota 2 5:36 2. «Get Together» Madonna, Anders Bagge, Peer Åström, Price Madonna, Stuart Pricenota 3 5:30 3. «Sorry» Madonna, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 4:43 4. «Future Lovers» Madonna, Mirwais Ahmadzaï Madonna, Mirwais Ahmadzaï 4:51 5. «I Love New York» Madonna, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 4:11 6. «Let It Will Be» Madonna, Ahmadzaï, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 4:18 7. «Forbidden Love» Madonna, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 4:22 8. «Jump» Madonna, Joe Henry, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 3:46 9. «How High» Madonna, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback Madonna, Bloodshy & Avant, Stuart Price 4:40 10. «Isaac» Madonna, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 6:03 11. «Push» Madonna, Price Madonna, Stuart Price 3:57 12. «Like It or Not» Madonna, Karlsson, Winnberg, Jonback Madonna, Bloodshy & Avant

Versus...

MDNA. It's incredible how many people can be there!

N.º Título Escritor(es) Productor(es) Duración 1. «Girl Gone Wild» Madonna, Jenson Vaughan, Alle Benassi,Benny Benassi Madonna, B. Benassi, A. Benassi 3:43 2. «Gang Bang» Madonna, William Orbit, Priscilla Renea,Keith Harris, Jean-Baptiste, Mika, Don Juan Demo Casanova, Stephen Kozmeniuk Madonna, Orbit, Demacio Castellon 5:26 3. «I'm Addicted» Madonna, A. Benassi, B. Benassi Madonna, B. Benassi, A. Benassi, Demacio Castellon* 4:33 4. «Turn Up the Radio» Madonna, Martin Solveig, Michael Tordjman, Jade Williams Madonna, Solveig 3:46 5. «Give Me All Your Luvin'» (con Nicki Minaj y M.I.A.) Madonna, Solveig, Minaj, Maya Arulpragasam, Tordjman Madonna, Solveig 3:22 6. «Some Girls» Madonna, Orbit, Klas Åhlund Madonna, Orbit, Åhlund* 3:53 7. «Superstar» Madonna, Indiigo, Michael Malih Madonna, Indiigo, Malih 3:55 8. «I Don't Give A» (con Nicki Minaj) Madonna, Solveig, Minaj, Julien Jabre Madonna, Solveig 4:19 9. «I'm a Sinner» Madonna, Orbit, Jean-Baptiste Madonna, Orbit 4:52 10. «Love Spent» Madonna, Orbit, Jean-Baptiste, Hamilton,Alain Whyte, Ryan Buendia, Michael McHenry Madonna, Orbit, Free School* 3:46 11. «Masterpiece» Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry Madonna, Orbit, Harry^ 3:59 12. «Falling Free» Madonna, Laurie Mayer, Orbit, Joe Henry Madonna, Orbit 5:13 50:52

Sorry, but that theory that surfaces now and then "oh, it was a flop, that's why fans complain" is not true. American Life is LOVED by majority of fans. The same with Erotica. Hard CAndy had a bombastic number one and many fans didn't like. And the same with MDNA.

This is your favourite word.

I agree with Karbatal. Popularity of Madonna's album really has little influence on how much most fans would like/dislike it. I wasn't a hard core Madonna fan during Music era. The clubs and radios played the singles off that album, but I was not that much impressed. Then American Life came out. I still wasn't following up with Madonna's spot in popular culture. Didn't know/care if the album flopped. I bought it one day for no particular reason and absolutely fell in love with it. Confessions was a similar experience.

I am not here to put down Hard Candy or MDNA. Those are two awesome albums on their own and I would be a hypocrite if I said I didn't like them. But they will never come close to ROL, AL and Confessions to me personally.

Ironically, ROL, AL and COTDF, all have one thing in common. Madonna talks about the Light. I think that's where her passion is and that's what makes those albums great. Sadly, many fans got fed up with her Kabbalah mention in the lyrics and so we got HC and MDNA.

Madonna DID say that she simply selected songs and added her vocals to them for MDNA. I know it was BEFORE the release of MDNA. She said something like "you just select songs and put your vocals on them." I don't remember which interview it was, but I will try to find it.

Madonna DID say that she simply selected songs and added her vocals to them for MDNA. I know it was BEFORE the release of MDNA. She said something like "you just select songs and put your vocals on them." I don't remember which interview it was, but I will try to find it.

please do, i need evidence on this until i declare my judgement on you

I don't think it's as simple as Kurt made it out to be, but I do think the success of a project can certainly have an effect on SOME fans. I do think if MDNA had been more successful, it would be better liked among fans. My distaste for the MDNA singles doesn't change the fact that I really like the album. And I don't think it's true that AL is "LOVED" by the "majority" of fans at all. I think it's pretty divisive. I think a lot of fans "respect" that album, but "love" it? I don't know. Erotica was dismissed by almost every M fan I knew for a while, but gained more favor in recent years. I remember lots of fans jumping ship in 92 - 94.

She never said that. Never. You're making this up to justify your feelings about the album.

The Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls and Gang Bang demos are there to prove you wrong.

Edited by _Gark

You don't remember which interview it was and WON'T be able to find it because she NEVER said that. And I doubt it's a case of us missing this interview back then because mnation is THE most resourceful and obsessive Madonna forum that posts and dissects to DEATH everything (including unfavorable stuff) she says, does, queef. FAKT.

tumblr_lxo8jmBXBA1r5gvg1o1_400.gif

^ Whether she said it or not, what she did to GGW and TUTR can hardly be called significant contributions. I'm sure the same is true for songs like PDP, OYH, JML, etc. Sometimes she significantly rewrites something ("Don't Tell Me") and other times she gets a writing credit for very minimal contributions.

^ Whether she said it or not, what she did to GGW and TUTR can hardly be called significant contributions. I'm sure the same is true for songs like PDP, OYH, JML, etc. Sometimes she significantly rewrites something ("Don't Tell Me") and other times she gets a writing credit for very minimal contributions.

The lyrics of Turn up the radio are very Madonna-esque and most of all totally different from the demo, which actually barely had any lyrics.

Guest Rachelle of London

This thread is making me angry, some of the posts are just misinformed garbage!!!!!!!!! 4 mins did not flop, it went no1 in many countries, celebration didnt flop, it went top 3 and charted well in many territories and is STILL being played on radio, the only songs that "flopped" were the MDNA singles after GMAYL. stop being such negative twats and just look forward to the new stuff!

So why does she have a writer's credit on these songs, if all she did was merely sing them? She's not in the habit of claiming credit where it's not due.

Guest Rachelle of London

Please do, cos I wanna see/read that interview where Madonna personally discredits 30 years of her legacy in one statement

I don't think it's as simple as Kurt made it out to be, but I do think the success of a project can certainly have an effect on SOME fans. I do think if MDNA had been more successful, it would be better liked among fans. My distaste for the MDNA singles doesn't change the fact that I really like the album. And I don't think it's true that AL is "LOVED" by the "majority" of fans at all. I think it's pretty divisive. I think a lot of fans "respect" that album, but "love" it? I don't know. Erotica was dismissed by almost every M fan I knew for a while, but gained more favor in recent years. I remember lots of fans jumping ship in 92 - 94.

Spot on. AL divided the fanbase and the forums and mailing lists that existed at the time went into meltdown mode. It was the same with "Erotica" - she lost a good chunk of her fanbase back then, mainly due to "Sex", but "Erotica" was seen as a sign that she had gone too far. Both "Erotica" and AL are viewed far more kindly in retrospect by many fans than they were at the time.

As for all of the co-writers that Karbatal mentioned on MDNA, "Bedtime Stories" featured a lot, too (far more than any other album she'd released before), and that's not including the sample credits.

As _Gark pointed out, Madonna's stamp is all over TUTR. The chorus is pretty much all that remained of the original lyrics. Martin said himself that Madonna took what he played her and "turned it into a Madonna song", which impressed him.

"Papa Don't Preach" - she got an "additional lyrics" credit when the song was initially released (I can outline exactly what she changed, if anyone wants me to), but this seems to have been limited to just her own recordings of the song, as she doesn't receive credit anywhere else for them. It's not as though she's listed as a fully fledged co-writer.

With JML, she also received an "additional lyrics" credit, for which she received a 10% share of the royalties.

OYH - the demo is out there and she earned her 33% share with the significant changes she made to the lyrics, particularly the second verse.

Would people be happier if they knew the exact share Madonna received for each song her name is attached to, or would they then quibble over whether she deserved 10% or 31.29%? If she alters a song in any way, then she should get credit for it. It's not as though she's taking someone else's song and then claiming that she wrote it by herself (there are some who still claim that they don't believe that Madonna wrote songs like "Lucky Star" herself....!).

But what do radio programmes want? Dark Horse? If they didn't want happy, from he man behind the Neptunes, the man behind Get Lucky... they are just a bunch of stupid people. And music business should beware what's happening there, because maybe if nowadays top10 is mediocre is because of them, and not because of the public.

There seems to be a turning away from learning from people older than you in the U.S. So much knowledge is not being passed on and I don't understand why. In

music you always had teen idols whose music you could relate to but the music of an older artist had and still has a broader range of subjects and ideas. They can talk about what life is like for them now but also remember their childhood and even sing about their wishes for the future. Now instead of artists taking the lead they are catering to younger people and I guess they are the customers that download music the most. They are looking to them to find out what is cool instead of the other way around. When it becomes cool to be an adult again I think a wider range of music will be on the radio. Things are never good when there is not a balance and there used to be a balance of commercial and artistry. I know it's a business but when artistry has to work really hard to be given the time of day then radio has got to be pretty bland and uninteresting and also repetitive.

This thread is making me angry, some of the posts are just misinformed garbage!!!!!!!!! 4 mins did not flop, it went no1 in many countries, celebration didnt flop, it went top 3 and charted well in many territories and is STILL being played on radio, the only songs that "flopped" were the MDNA singles after GMAYL. stop being such negative twats and just look forward to the new stuff!

+1!!

I apologize for being negative about Hard Candy and MDNA. Those albums may not be my favorite but I can't deny the fact that they are amazing on their own. I listened to Hard Candy two times in a row today at work and all the people I work with lovex it. They were surprised it was Madonna.

As for what Madonna said. I did not lie. It was one of those quick stop and chat interviews. it was in early 2012 or may be even late 2011, so I may have worded it wrong. But it was something along the lines of "you select tracks, put voice on them". I swear Im not making this up. Why would I? I love Madonna and would never put words in her mouth.

Anyway, I love the devotion you guys have for her. This forum is treasure!! Any of you thinking Im a sucky fan for disliking MDNA should check out my tumblr blog.

Www.goddessmadonna.tumblr.com

Oh, i thought American Life was generally loved. At least in this forum. The first single wasn't very welcome at the time, but i think that it has passed the test of time.

And yes, Chelle, it's better to look forward.

I LOVE Madonna... I was in the metro this morning, like every other morning, to get to my daily job, I'm a marketing manager, and Causing a commotion poped up in my ipod, and I was thinking how much I love Madonna. How much she is here in every step of my life. This is the right place to post these words, cause Madonna is always looking for the future, never looking back, she's a fucking wanabee, that's how her fans used to be called in the 80's. So this thread for the new album it's a great place to say that : I fucking love Madonna!!

As for the new album, everything she does, will be great for me! I don't like MDNA very much, but I do think Hard Candy is great. Confession is my favorite, next to all her 80's album. I trust her. She can do no wrong for me!! BTW I'm in love and still drunk from yesterday, heeeeeeeeeeeeey drunk in looooooove, and I'm at work!! looooooooool but i'm french, so i'll be ok today, we don't work so much ;)

As for what Madonna said. I did not lie. It was one of those quick stop and chat interviews. it was in early 2012 or may be even late 2011, so I may have worded it wrong. But it was something along the lines of "you select tracks, put voice on them". I swear Im not making this up. Why would I? I love Madonna and would never put words in her mouth.

When you're saying something that basically proves that Madonna has no input into the creation of her songs, though, you really do need to back up your claims with evidence. That's all people want.

So what if M did not write the song? It's possible that she saw the lyrics and felt it was so like her, that she chose to record it. Sometimes people are overrating writing a song. I mean, I have my favorite songs that are close to my heart and I can relate to a lot. Does that totally invalidate my love for it just because I didn't like it?

When you're saying something that basically proves that Madonna has no input into the creation of her songs, though, you really do need to back up your claims with evidence. That's all people want.

Fair. But I spent 3 hours going through Madonna interviews trying to find that one phrase she let out. It may have even been a radio interview. I remember she said it, but Im tired and going to bed. In all fairness, there are few fans here who act entitled or something. I don't care, and never have, what judgment people have of me. Peace out!