whoopie's Madonna Album Listening-athon!

ryan

So I've decided to listen to Madonnas entire album discography in chronological order. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, and now that there are new album rumors, it just seems like the perfect time to do it!

I can't wait!!!

It's gonna be so much fun. Album after album. Re-rating and re-reviewing. I'll even do WTG, I'm Bresthless, and STR. I might just even do TIC and GHV2 to top off each "chapter", and review the "highlights."

Well I'll be starting tonight, I'll do the first album and LAV while I'm at the gym.

Feel free to join along!!

I just finished MADONNA

It's a brilliant album, with an amazing opener. Lucky Star is a highlight from her career. You can tell so much detail was put into it's production. Just listen to those guitars, they're on fire. I've never really realized how amazing this song was till I listened to the album tonight. Without a doubt, it's one of her greatest songs, ever. The production, the melody, it's amazing.

Burning Up, is fantastic follow up to Everybody as second single, just radically different from the previous single. And I adore it's sister, Physical Attraction, just as much. They go hand in hand. The first album just reeks of slutty one-night-stands. She was a horny girl, she needed her pussy pounded!

I Know It is the only song I've never really been fond of on this album. I don't know what it is exactly, the dated production maybe? The melody is great, but the song as a whole just doesn't grabs me.

Think of Me is one of my favorites. The one thing I wish she explored more with in the 80's is the sax. It goes off full force on this track, I just wish there was more of it on this album.

Overall, Madonna tends to always rank highly amongst the others. It's one of those albums that's just essential to listen from beginning to end. And I love the fact that the remastered version uses the extended 12" of Everybody, making the album ever longer. There's absolutely no tracks to skip or jump to.

Like a Virgin

What an album. She totally pushed the limit on this sophomore release. I can totally see what Nile was saying about how he was shocked Material Girl wasn't the first single. It's so poppy and flirty, it's total single material, more so than LAV, but LAV will always win because of it's lyrical content and theme. I'm sure the first thing that popped into Madonna's head while recording the title track was "wedding dresses." Like a Virgin is such a fine crafted album, and highly underrated. Every song is perfect, no duds. And that's a fact. If you disagree then that's because you've never actually listened to this album from beginning to end. The sequencing is great too, though I would have preferred Dress You Up before Love Don't Live Here. And speaking of the latter, how amazing are her vocals? I think we already discussed this, but it's clearly one of her all time best album vocal performances. I just live for the heavy breathing at the end of the song :dramatic: Nile said M cried in the studio when she had to sing with the live orchestra. I don't know why I tend to rank LAV so low, cause it's becoming one of my favorites. I love the diversity. There's ballads, there's motown infused tracks, 80's dance, there's tracks that ride high on the quintessential 80's sound (Dress You Up), and then there's Pretender, which is a throwback to the sound of the first album. I think my ultimate faves are the last two tracks. Pretender is one of my faves. I've always wondered, was there ever a specific guy she was singing about? Who played her? Who led her on? And with Stay, which is one of M's greatest transition pieces. Like I said, the first album is all about getting the pussy wet. But LAV on the other hand, is all about taking a chance, wanting to do it right for once. In Stay, she doesn't want the one-night-stand anymore, she wants that lover to stay with her. And her wish came true with True Blue.

After listening to this album tonight, I had to prevent myself from replaying the album over and over again. I never realized just how good it really is.

And you people need to stop shitting on Shoo Bee Doo. Has anyone ever listened to the song in full? I know that opening is dreadful, but once you get past it you'll fall in love!

I'm participating. I started earlier and I'm already on erotica! I admittedly skipped True Blue, but that's cuz I don't have it on my iPad. :1251: Love your write ups whoop! Totally agree. I really listened to Shoo Bee Doo first the first time and it isn't TERRIBLE. Still the worst on that album, but it's like a six or seven still.

Whoopie, wonderful to read your reviews and see the love for both Madonna and Like a Virgin. Too often people just dismiss these albums but they both are classics. Madonna was a fantastic debut ( don't let Kylie turn you off Borderline ) and Like a Virgin has too often been unfairly maligned. It is one of the best pop albums ever and I stand by that comment all of the way. Keep listening and enjoying. When people take the time to listen to all of Madonna';s albums with an open mind, they get a great understanding of how she has always produced great music and still does.

I decided to follow along and wrote some of my thoughts as well.

Madonna

MadonnaTheFirstAlbum1983AlbumCover.jpg

Madonna is an amazing album that goes strength-to-strength with each song sounding crisp. Even songs like' I Know It' (which is a favourite of mine from this album) and 'Think of Me' are great songs despite their role as a bit of padding for the album. 'True Blue' is often hailed for it's strong singles but I also think that Madonna delivered five strong singles as well. On this re-listening of Madonna I have come to appreciate 'Burning Up' a lot more than I did in the past. Some songs go for a bit longer than necessary but that is a very minor thing and the only 'negative' thing I can say about the album.

Like a Virgin

LikeAVirgin1984.png

I didn't remember or expect Like a Virgin to be as good as it was when I just listened to it. All the songs were strong with the exception for 'Over and Over' which I sort of can't stand but also find it annoyingly catchy. 'Material Girl' draws you in as the opening and 'Stay' closes the album making you want more. Along with the opener, 'Like a Virgin', 'Angel' and 'Dress You Up' are the highlights for me as they relentlessly deliver perfect hooks and all things essential for a great pop song. While 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' and 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' aren't the best ballads Madonna has made, they are still very much enjoyable with 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' being very underrated + I love a good saxophone. I also gained a new appreciation for 'Pretender' which I have previously looked down upon as just filler. Overall, Like a Virgin is a wonderful album that gets a lot of undeserved hate. Though I have to admit it is around the bottom in terms of my favourite Madonna albums but that is due to Madonna going to make even better music and not because it is a bad album.

So True Blue

A complete 360 from the previous album. And what a great way to start the album out with Papa Don't Preach. The bass reminds me so much of Bon Jovi's "Livin On a Prayer." This really is one of her most important singles of all time, she pushed the envelope even further than Like a Virgin. You can't talk about the song without talking about the video (that goes for all the singles from True Blue). True Blue is thee pop album from the 80's, due to it's singles and videos. Each video was different from the other, playing different characters for each one. I always found Gwen copied M best by doing this for LAMB. Anyways, back to the music. It's great. I love the latin-fusion incorporated into the album. And the raspy vocals <3 While the singles outshine the other tracks, there are a few stand out non-singles. White Heat. Why was this not a single? This was always a favorite of mine from the album, due to the performance from the Who's That Girl tour. Love it when she references old films/actors in her work. On the other hand, there's Jimmy Jimmy. I honestly do not know what Madonna and Stephen Bray were thinking while recording this track. What is going on here? I'm sorry everyone. I just can not take this track. If you were to ask me her all time worst song, I would totally mention this. I don't know why people bitch about ILNY or Bday Song, this is just, wtf... It's like with the production they were trying to recycle Over and Over. Another song that doesn't get enough love is Love Makes The World Go Round. At least this song has a proper melody and structure. It's a little LaToya Jackson esque, but it's playful, and she rocked the hell out of it on LiveAid. I always felt what inspired her to write this track was the AIDS epidemic going on at the time, specifically with the line, "don't judge a man, till you're standing in his shoes..."

Overall, True Blue is a very strong effort. And it ushered in what was to come with Like a Prayer. While the main focus was about being in love, Madonna was beginning to reveal more sides of herself that we haven't seen previously. I don't think this album receives much love from her fans, and I think it's due in part for the fact that the album tracks don't compete with the singles. More importantly, the 7"s/singles mixes are much better (in my opinion, but I think many others would agree with it too) than the album versions. Including the YCD remix of Who's That Girl, it just doesn't compare. I have to remind myself to spin this album more often. It's a shame. True Blue, Live to Tell, White Heat: great quality stuff.

MADONNA album is georgeous!!!! I think is the best album debut ever. I love all its songs.

My favourites are I know it, Think of Me and Physical attraction.

For me this album is the best to do excercise with COADF. When I listen this album I always remember an aerobic scene.

Guest bluejean

Have fun! I did this a few months back and am now marathon-ing the US 7" and 12" singles,

A and B sides in chronological order.

imagen3.gif

213pvmt.jpg

Wow so you'll be playing I Know It and Think Of Me 20 times in the next few hours :lol:

Guest bluejean

I honestly couldn't do this marathon. I've listened to so much Madonna over the years I just have to listen to what I feel like at the time. Sometimes I switch songs that I'm bored up with remixes. For example, Secret Juniors mix atm.

Guest bluejean

And whoopie, btw, will you be listening to the non Madonna tracks on Who's That Girl? Or what about the entire Vision Quest soundtrack?

I have listened LIKE A VIRGIN. I have something important to say: I used to hate Shoo Bee Doo, but now I rediscover this song and I fall in love with this.

Like a Virgin is a perfection gum pop from 80's. The World discovered Madonna with this album.

For me the best song of this record is Dress You Up. It is a powerful song.

And since you prefer live versions I think you should do all the tours too in their appropriate order.

I missed out on that so I can't start now. Plus I'd have to dig through discs/harddrives to find the LA soundboard of VT, cause I would need to hear it complete.

Anyway, I only have the Madonna tracks from WTG. So I listened to jus those 4 tracks before going into LAP. And no, no Vision Quest.

And you people need to stop shitting on Shoo Bee Doo. Has anyone ever listened to the song in full? I know that opening is dreadful, but once you get past it you'll fall in love!

You're right. I just listened to the whole album and Shoo Bee Doo is lovely indeed... Used to be one of my least favorites, but I'm warming to it quite a lot!

Just finished True Blue. I just noticed now that in terms of non-singles, Like A Virgin is highly superior. The only thing that makes TB a better album are the singles...