Remember When Madonna Starred In A Gap Campaign?

CJM

n 2003, the Gap announced they had gotten Madonna, the ultimate a fashion icon, as the face of their fall campaign, called “A New Groove, A New Jean.”
enhanced-buzz-12900-1376689737-5.jpg

Madonna wore Gap low rise cropped cords and a ribbed white tank top. She completed her look with $5 million in diamond jewelry from Neil Lane.

While Madonna was no stranger to fashion ad campaigns — she had famously been the face of Versace in 1995 — this was her first foray into a lower-end brand.
enhanced-buzz-5481-1376689758-33.jpg

She has since then collaborated with lower-end fashion companies like H&M and Macy’s.

Missy Elliot also fell into the Gap.
enhanced-buzz-11675-1376689675-25.jpg
There was even a limited edition CD of Madonna’s latest single “Hollywood” (remixed by Missy), which of course was available exclusively at Gap stores.
enhanced-buzz-12366-1376690707-13.jpg

But the most memorable part of the campaign was the catchy “Into the Hollywood Groove” commercial:

Mainly because Missy upstaged Madonna.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29956-1376699786-19

And she was not having it.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29383-1376699733-2.

In the end it all paid off — Madonna helped the chain get their financial groove back.

enhanced-buzz-28768-1376693191-2.jpg

hahaha i love buzzfeed. they have some great articles on madonna atm. this one had me laughing. let's discuss. the only thing i remember from this era was M macking on with xtina and britney because I was 12. GAP JEANS... WHYYYY?!?!!

Guest bluejean

Awful. The Into The Groove remix is up there with the worst things she's ever done. American pie and Me Against The Music being the worst of the worst. I think it's safe to say she won't be reviving those on tour ever.

Guest Rachelle of London

I LOVED this campaign, the advert was played all the time....I think its cute

Also I love Into the Hollywood Groove

I got those cropped cords cause Madonna was in the ad. They were awful and the fit was horrible. I remember they only had the white ones cause they sold out of the blue ones since those where the ones Madonna and Missy wore on the commercial. So I had buy me the white ones and order some blue ones. :lol:

Awful. The Into The Groove remix is up there with the worst things she's ever done.

I personally love American Pie, but yes, Into the Hollywood Groove was fucking AWFUL!

Madonna taking her own classic song and totally ruining it by re-singing it with some of the most flat and characterless vocals of her career.

Everytime I want to forget something exists in Madonna's career, someone starts a thread to celebrate it.

I am sure an "Appreciate Mr. Peabody's Apples" thread is right around the corner.

I remember liking the commercial back when it came out, but watching it now, I can see that it's lame. The whole "where you get them jeans" is fucking stupid. Why was it included on R&R?

Just bad.