MDNA Press Reviews

Guest groovyguy

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/music/features/10397/madonna-the-mdna-verdict-is-in

Madonna: the MDNA verdict is in

Our London team says give this new album some, not all, your luvin'

First published on 13 Mar 2012. Updated on 13 Mar 2012.

Sharon O'Connell of our sister publication Time Out London has given Madge's new disc a spin – or streamed it, or whatever it is the kids are doing these days – and declared that the album is "more Hard Candy part two than Confessions... [on a Dance Floor]". Those familiar with the Queen (mum) of pop's oeuvre might take that as a bit of a swipe, and an expected one given the outright terribleness of lead single 'Give Me All Your Luvin''. But O'Connell's review in Time Out's Now.Here.This blog is mostly a thumbs up. Noting that Madge's regular band of dear-god-please-make-me-relevant producers might be trying too hard on certain tracks, O'Connell says there are some gems in the mix.

Another woman? :lmao:

I love that some people will never acknowledge what she manages to accomplish and deliver throughout all her work, in all the various shapes it takes 95% of the times. For someone who's been around so long and in such a dangerously fickle field it's astonishing the amount of curiosity and dare, effort and dedication she still puts into things. As she said once when I'm gone everyone will be kissing my ass. I bet those fake, self-abusing complacent cows will too.

Lady Gaga and Caribbean sensations such as Rihanna and Nicki Minaj have threatened to make Madonna irrelevant now that the Material Girl approaches her 54th birthday. But Madge, in a welcome surprise, still has some tricks left and lessons to impart now that he has reached the September of her life on her new album “MDNA.” You can be forgiven if you don’t remember Madonna’s performance of “Give Me All Your Luvin” at the Super Bowl, because that single is one of the least catchy tracks on an otherwise cohesive album that will satisfy those who want disco-influenced fluff for the dance floor — as well as those who would prefer a window into her confessional. The singer, the co-writer of all 12 tracks, uses her divorce from director Guy Ritchie as fodder for songs that arguably are the most personal she has ever penned. But, frankly, all would be bollocks if these weren’t songs that made your hips swerve, so the phalanx of European producers that includes Benny Benassi, William Orbit (who helmed Madonna’s career-best 1998 album “Ray of Light”) and Martin Solveig ensure that she is not just modern but forward-thinking, as well as the Madonna who entranced us in the 1980s and 1990s. “MDNA” is the best Madonna album since 2000’s “Music,” and with Minaj guesting on two tracks, it is the rare case when Minaj is overshadowed by her elder, still in top vocal form.

Grade: B+

:manson:

If there's one thing that GMAYL has to it is being a catchy song

Lady Gaga and Caribbean sensations such as Rihanna and Nicki Minaj have threatened to make Madonna irrelevant now that the Material Girl approaches her 54th birthday. But Madge, in a welcome surprise, still has some tricks left and lessons to impart now that he has reached the September of her life

:lmao:

We got it. Madonna Louise Ciccone, singer, soon to be 54 years old.

Guest jamesshot

I remember when she was like 45 and all they could say was "Madonna, approaching 50". Now that she is past 50, they always add years to her age! LOL, what cunts!

Guest groovyguy

Sad isn't it when reviewers reveal how ageist and sexist they are.

And not really even approaching :lol: she still has many months of being 53. So stupid these journalists.

Guest jamesshot

And not really even approaching :lol: she still has many months of being 53. So stupid these journalists.

I'm telling you, next it will be "Madonna, who is just a few years from turning 60" as soon as she turns 54.

I'm telling you, next it will be "Madonna, who is just a few years from turning 60" as soon as she turns 54.

No it will go straight to "Madonna who's just on the verge of entering her 7th decade"

:lol:

No it will go straight to "Madonna who's just on the verge of entering her 7th decade"

:lol:

Yup! She predicted it, though, during Erotica era.

Meanwhile, you read stuff like "Tom Cruise proves he's as potent as ever in new film."

Exactly. She turned 53 in August. If anything she's 53 and a half if you want to be a real prissy asshole of a journalist. It's really like they're wishing her more years she actually has so they have *more* of an excuse to criticise whatever it is they are criticising. Notice that the very few negative reviews we've seen so far always tend to concentrate on and mix in issues about her private life: Guy Ritchie, her age and how dares she, her lover and this and that but they vaguely (and quite poorly) touch the album itself . . .

And why the hell are they not all bowing down to her for doing this at 53? That would help to move us ahead and rid ourselves of ageism. Instead they have to encourage it while Madge fights the battle alone.

Sad isn't it when reviewers reveal how ageist and sexist they are.

It's sad because it's telling of the society people live in. The society we live in. It's a loss for everybody. Even for the jaded envious cows. Women writing that kind of articles would rather feed a system that probably put them there in the first place, than applaud a woman who has instead made it on her own terms and has managed to mantain her talents and good fortune in a society dominated mainly by a male point of view, to serve a male point of view.

And why the hell are they not all bowing down to her for doing this at 53? That would help to move us ahead and rid ourselves of ageism. Instead they have to encourage it while Madge fights the battle alone.

WORD :clap:

I just read a dutch review saying Madonna copied lady gaga's born this way intro :sneaky:

honestly, the guy didnt even hear MDNA. he just heard the first single, GGW, and gang bang (& masterpiece) everything else is the same ol ' "shes trying to be cool and hip but she fails" shit.

We should compare the reviews Springsteen got when is album was released and how many times his age was mentionned.

Madonna copied Gaga ? He got his press card in the ass from the dong he sucked to get the job ?

Acually Gaga is running aloof in her appt. singing "I'm reduc, i'm reduc, i'm reductive to her love" while covering heself with cheerios.

because of the pretentious gardian, the MC score just got down to 73 :( he gave it 60/100, the first neutral review.

yes, fuck him http://www.metacritic.com/music/mdna

Didn't we get a previous rave review from the Guardian saying it had brilliant bonkers moments or something like that? :blink: So now they've changed it?

Was it The Advocate that gave her a 4 out of 5? Will that review be included?

Edited by Louise Oriole

Guest LeJazzHot!

New Jersey Star Ledger CD Review: Madonna

MDNA

Madonna (Interscope)

No artist of the past three decades has achieved more with less than Madonna. A singer and songwriter of deliberately limited range, she has made herself an undisputed champion of popular music through the force of her personality and her fierce commitment to doing one thing well, over and over, diminishing commercial returns be damned. There is much about this to be admired, and with the release of “MDNA,” her umpteenth studio album, she has scored another circumscribed success. Once again, those who don’t appreciate her music will find nothing to enjoy, or even tolerate, on this streamlined, frothy, proudly one-dimensional set of dance-floor burners. And once again, Madonna will not care. With nothing left to prove, she will keep right on dancing.

Theoretically, this should be the perfect time for Madonna, 53, to release a new album. Electronic dance music is all the rage, and Madonna hitched her star to that wagon in ’98 with the William Orbit-produced “Ray of Light.” Orbit is back in the fold for “MDNA,” along with a slew of hot continental electro producers: Italian Benny Benassi, Frenchman Martin Solveig and the Swedish Klas Ahlund. When they pitch Madonna something in her sweet spot — music reminiscent of the ’80s and ’90s electropop she did so much to popularize — she hits it out of the park. Solveig’s infectious “Turn Up the Radio,” Benassi’s blithe “I’m Addicted” and especially Orbit’s “I’m a Sinner,” which is highly reminiscent of the “Ray of Light” album, are fine additions to the great disco playlist she’s been assembling for 30 years.

Yet as it turns out, the ostentatiously hip Madonna is no better at integrating modern sounds and styles into her formula than her fellow ’80s pop titans have been. Efforts to cede verses to rappers Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. on the brainless “Give Me All Your Luvin’ ” and the nasty “I Don’t Give A” are predictable failures, in part because Madonna does not share the spotlight comfortably. She fares no better with trendy dubstep breaks and the rough electro middle-eights; every time she dips her toe into those swirling waters, she gets sucked in just like any other stylistic carpetbagger would. The polarizing track here is “Gang Bang,” a murky, violent nightmare that attempts to swipe some of Lana Del Rey’s homicidal thunder, complete with automobile and munitions noises. Whether you find it chillingly effective or inadvertently hilarious will depend on your appetite for death threats from Madonna. I can keep a straight face for the first half of the six-minute song; after that, I’m on the floor in stitches.

Madonna has not gotten better as a lyricist as she’s aged — she’s still all strong-arm directives to the deejay, facile rhymes like “car” and “guitar,” and lengthy name-dropping sequences. Under the mirror ball, that might not matter much, and at this late stage, artistic growth is probably too much to ask. But Madonna is eventually going to have to develop some new wrinkles; otherwise, she’s going to end up dancing with herself.

— Tris McCall