MDNA Press Reviews

Guest groovyguy

Very curious as to their methodology. MDNA has been Raking in great reviews, yet somehow the single worst written one from the Telegraph is included, but no RS, Billboard, MTV, or USA Today??

Guest LeJazzHot!

Very curious as to their methodology. MDNA has been Raking in great reviews, yet somehow the single worst written one from the Telegraph is included, but no RS, Billboard, MTV, or USA Today??

I just wrote to the music editor on Metacritic and attached all those reviews to be included. All of those publications are WAY more credible than the Telegraph.

I just wrote to the music editor on Metacritic and attached all those reviews to be included. All of those publications are WAY more credible than the Telegraph.

Good work! If anyone has an email address and thinks more of us should write, let me know! Can't find one on the site but I do not have an account.

great job! :thumbsup:

Guest LeJazzHot!

I am pretty sure when they include all relevent reviews, her Metacritic score for MDNA will be around 80 and match the rate of COADF and Music!

I think so too!

I think so too!

I hope. My question for them was about their process. Why the delay in adding certain reviews yet so quick to include Telegraph.

I am pretty sure when they include all relevent reviews, her Metacritic score for MDNA will be around 80 and match the rate of COADF and Music!

It better be! Those bitches at Metacritic just adding the negative or mixed reviews and not the GOOD and RELEVANT reviews... It's just sickening.

Guest groovyguy

An hour ago

Michelle Bond Dolan ‏ @michellebond

Popping around to @spin1038 soon to talk with @SBellissimo on Plan B about the new Madonna album amongst other new releases

Sarina Bellissimo ‏ @SBellissimo

Coming up on @Spin1038's #PlanB (12.45-2.45pm) http://spin1038.com/onair-category/shows-category/planb/plan-b-today-original-rudeboys/

http://spin1038.com/onair-category/shows-category/planb/plan-b-today-original-rudeboys/

Michelle Bond from State.ie will review the album that we,ve all been waiting for…. Madonna’s MDNA! We take a first listen to some of the better tracks from the album and let you know whether it’s worth a buy.

SPIN 1038 - Radio Station - Dublin, Ireland

Michelle Bond Dolan @michellebond

tweet about pop culture, tv shows, great music, contributor to state.ie and yay.ie

Dublin

twitoct11_reasonably_small.jpg

It better be! Those bitches at Metacritic just adding the negative or mixed reviews and not the GOOD and RELEVANT reviews... It's just sickening.

They're not doing it on purpose. Metacritic doesn't have an agenda. It's an aggregate site.

Guest Xanthium

They're not doing it on purpose. Metacritic doesn't have an agenda. It's an aggregate site.

Yeah I highly doubt Metacritic has an AGENDA against Madonna. All of her albums, except for AL, are green.

Probably not, but it would be better to inform them on a lot of missing reviews. I asked to replace the *cough*review*cough" of the telegraph with the ACTUAL review though. I do hope they change that. Its only fair.

Probably not, but it would be better to inform them on a lot of missing reviews. I asked to replace the *cough*review*cough" of the telegraph with the ACTUAL review though. I do hope they change that. Its only fair.

there were 2 reviews? the one on metacritic now isn't official?

there were 2 reviews? the one on metacritic now isn't official?

There was a review before the album went out, it was glowing. a full track-by-track review by a MALE journalist. (of ocurse)

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9127093/Madonnas-new-album-MDNA-track-by-track-review.html

telegraph asking for a new bitter review and metacritic going with that instead of a real CD review is annoying.. its unfair really.

If it's the case they HAVE to add more good reviews and not only the negative or mixed ones! MDNA had good reviews from almost every MAJOR magazine or site. I hope they will be included soon.

Guest groovyguy

Madonna, "MDNA." Madonna is back.

That's the simplest summary of "MDNA," the 12th album from the 53-year-old Material Girl, which is available Monday. She spends about half the release referring to her divorce with Guy Ritchie, opening up to create her most personal, revealing set of songs ever.

"Love Spent" wonders where the love went and makes reference to the millions Ritchie received in the divorce. The insistent "I wish I could take you back" ballad "I (expletive) Up" and the rattling "Best Friend" from The "Deluxe Explicit Album" are the most direct of those songs.

But the semi-rap "I Don't Give a (featuring Nicki Minaj)" includes this little couplet, "I tried to be a good girl/I tried to be your wife/Diminished myself," as it re-establishes Madonna as a strong woman with a head for business, music and love.

And the dark techno "Gang Bang" is a sinister little number about a woman shooting her lover. Care to guess how she really feels?

Madonna marshals a flotilla of producers to apply their magic, most notably bringing back William Orbit from "Ray of Light" for three songs, including the ultra-catchy "I'm a Sinner." It's the best song on the record and spins her Catholic upbringing into its irresistible beats and hooks.

Another gem from the deluxe version is the bouncy "B-Day Song," a reminder of Madonna's garage rock/girl group vocal roots that's just fun.

Madonna's never drifted far from the club. Nor does she here. The record opens with the pop banger "Girls Gone Wild," which feels like vintage Madge, and swirls Daft Punk-like on "I'm Addicted" where she chants "MDNA." That's either a knockoff on her name or a sly reference to the club drug Ecstasy (MDMA).

Strangely, the weakest track on "MDNA" is the cheerleader pop of "Give Me All Your Luvin' featuring Nicki Minaj and MIA" that they performed at the Super Bowl. Her "Masterpiece," a pretty little number, came out early too, as the Golden Globe-winning theme song for her movie "W.E."

The regular version of "MDNA" ends with "Falling Free," a string-filled ballad that is a declaration of independence -- "we're both free/free to go." It's a perfect ending to a very strong disc from, as Minaj calls Madonna, the "only one Queen." Grade: B+

Guest groovyguy

Just in case you had imagined that age had mellowed her — or, worse, rendered her safely irrelevant — Madonna opens her 12th studio album with one of the cannier provocations of her career. As synthesized strings hum in the background, she begins to recite the Act of Contrition, a traditional Catholic prayer for the forgiveness of sins. But rather than end the prayer with the usual promise to do penance and amend her life, Madonna simply declares, “I want so badly to be good.”

Not the way you’d expect a song called Girl Gone Wild to begin, is it?

Contrite she’s not, but that’s precisely the point. MDNA is about addictions, the seductive allure of good times and bad behaviour; even the album’s title is a pun that equates the singer’s name with MDMA, the chemical acronym for the drug ecstasy. So as the synths pulse and the drum machines pound out a post-house groove, what else is she going to sing but “I know I shouldn’t act this way … but I’m a bad girl anyway”?

Ever the tease, she fills the album with provocative titles like Gang Bang and I’m a Sinner, but the songs themselves are hardly what you’d think. While the defiantly upbeat I’m a Sinner finds her insisting in the chorus she’s a sinner “and I like it that way,” the bridge has her asking Sts. Christopher, Sebastian, Anthony and Thomas Aquinas to “catch me before I sin again.” Rick Santorum will doubtless find it shamelessly immoral, but the lyric is a pretty apt summation of the modern moral dilemma, in which everyone decries sin but no one really wants to be free from temptation.

Gang Bang, meanwhile, is a Frankie-and-Johnny-style revenge fantasy with club beats augmented by small arms fire. Madonna knows that she’s going to hell for shooting her lover down, but that’s fine with her, because she hopes to meet him there and kill him again. Still, that’s almost mild compared to I Don’t Give A, in which she rehashes the end of her marriage to Guy Ritchie. Different circumstances, but once again she sings the same refrain: “I tried to be good.”

The thing is, Madonna is actually very good this time out. The music is never less than invigorating, striking a perfect balance between dance-club insistence and pop-radio insinuation, while the lyrics are as playful as they are provocative. Even if some of the new tunes simply update old tricks, as when Give Me All Your Luvin’ taps the same girl-group vein that Cherish mined 26 years ago, she still manages to be modern enough to give both Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. a run for their money.

Never count this woman out.

There was a review before the album went out, it was glowing. a full track-by-track review by a MALE journalist. (of ocurse)

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9127093/Madonnas-new-album-MDNA-track-by-track-review.html

telegraph asking for a new bitter review and metacritic going with that instead of a real CD review is annoying.. its unfair really.

Those track-by-track reviews were just "previews" based on listening parties. It wasn't a proper review. And how do you know they "asked" for a "new bitter review"?

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/drops-madonna-still-on-top-with-mdna-1.3620167

Drops: Madonna still on top with 'MDNA'

Published: March 23, 2012

By GLENN GAMBOA glenn.gamboa@newsday.com

Madonna is at a crossroads.

The windup for her 12th studio album, "MDNA" (Interscope), was huge, drawing more than 114 million viewers for the most-watched Super Bowl Halftime Show in history, where she rolled out the album's first single "Give Me All Your Luvin'." However, radio didn't really embrace the giddy, cheerleader-driven pop song, which stalled at No. 10 after its initial burst of sales, even after it was augmented with current A-listers Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. and LMFAO. That welcome re-raised the question that has dogged Madonna for the past decade or so: Can she still be a pop star?

Part of what makes "MDNA" so extraordinary is that the answer seems unclear -- even to Madonna. On half of "MDNA," Madonna, surrounded by such state-of-the-art collaborators as hot producer Martin Solveig, sounds like she is readying her last stand as the Queen of Pop, marshaling upbeat dance numbers, well-crafted enough to match anything today's crop of pop princesses -- Rihanna, Katy Perry and, of course, Lady Gaga -- could muster. On the other half of "MDNA," though, Madonna, with her "Ray of Light" producer William Orbit, sounds like she could easily leave pop behind to create dark, challenging EDM and work on her far-more-lucrative concert tours.

Throw in the fact that Madonna clearly still has unresolved feelings about her divorce from director Guy Ritchie -- and is willing to openly discuss them -- and "MDNA" not only becomes her most interesting album since 1998's "Ray of Light," but her most artistically fearless album since 1989's "Like a Prayer."

There is no filler here, no unrealized potential. Each song on "MDNA" is part of Madonna's internal argument about her future as a pop star, an artist, a wife and a woman. And over the course of an hour or so, they all try to hash it out.

The songs produced by Solveig, best known in America for the dance hit "Hello," are all timely pop songs, ranging from the catchy escapism of "Give Me All Your Luvin' " and "Turn Up the Radio" to the defiant "I Don't Give A," which features Madonna rapping about her post-divorce life ("You were so mad at me / Who's got custody? / Lawyers, suck it up / Didn't have a pre-nup") and employs Minaj in another song-stealing turn.

The songs produced by Orbit are more diverse. There's the tabloid-fodder dubstep "Gang Bang," where Madonna cleverly adopts Ritchie's violent filmmaking style into her lyrics, and the electronic "Some Girls." However, even more thrilling is the gorgeous, vulnerable trio of tracks that close out the regular version of the album -- the Abba-esque, banjo-riffic "Love Spent," the Golden Globe-winning love song "Masterpiece" and the epic, "Frozen"-like "Falling Free," where Madonna looks for a way to move on.

"MDNA" shows that Madonna, who celebrates the 30th anniversary of her breakthrough debut this year, can still pull out some surprises -- even for herself.

MADONNA

"MDNA"

GRADE A

BOTTOM LINE Madonna expresses herself

This NY Newsday review is outstanding :clap::clap::clap: I tweeted the red-bolded line and it got retweeted a gazillion times and by Guy Oseary too! :wow:

So I just read that Telegraph review. To be honest, everything she said have been my exact thoughts until very recently. I mean, I still feel like she's trying to act/look/young young (GMAYL, GGW, etc.) and I just think it's unfortunate. But there are some great tracks on the album and it's growing on me more and more. I mean, I know we all love Madonna and want her to get positive reviews across the board, but I don't think it's an unfair review. She's entitled to have that opinion, and I know many fans who feel the same way. So it sucks that Metacritic hasn't added more positive reviews, but they will eventually. However much you guys love the album, and however much I love some of the songs, the fact is that this album was never going to get across-the-board raves. Even ROL didn't.

Guest LeJazzHot!

So I just read that Telegraph review. To be honest, everything she said have been my exact thoughts until very recently. I mean, I still feel like she's trying to act/look/young young (GMAYL, GGW, etc.) and I just think it's unfortunate. But there are some great tracks on the album and it's growing on me more and more. I mean, I know we all love Madonna and want her to get positive reviews across the board, but I don't think it's an unfair review. She's entitled to have that opinion, and I know many fans who feel the same way. So it sucks that Metacritic hasn't added more positive reviews, but they will eventually. However much you guys love the album, and however much I love some of the songs, the fact is that this album was never going to get across-the-board raves. Even ROL didn't.

But at the same time, I feel like Madonna made the record that she wanted to make. Great music doesn't have an age or gender bracket, especially when you're still on top of the pop music world at age 53.

Bullshit. If she wanted to write about Madonna as a person she could have taken up a column in the celebrity trash section. When you're reviewing an album you review an album. Barely a lick of that dreadful review mentioned the album itself at all. Read it again. Its a manifesto about Madonna the celebrity, not MDNA. It's unfair because it's bad journalism.