Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

and she has 'immersed' herself by building more orphanges, giving medical care and clothing....

Exactly! It's not like she's trying to do all of this from her home office back in NYC and have the kid delivered to her doorstep. She's very much "immersed" in it's culture as it is. Why is not required for anybody who wants to adopt a child outside of their home country to live in the home country of the child for an extended period of time if it's TRULY THAT IMPORTANT.

After seeing her documentary it just seriously FLOORS me that the judge could be so selfish. It truly is a state of emergency over there and nobody is even trying to do anything. So so sad. Bless Mercy.....and all the other children there too. I just hope if Madonna doesn't get to adopt her in the end that she will somehow see to it that she is fully taken care of and is actually given the opportunites to make a wonderful life for herself.

sad sad sad :(

"In a statement, Ritchie said: "Madonna is a fantastic and loving mother who cares deeply about her own children, and children who may need additional help and support.

"I fully supported Madonna in her decision to apply for this adoption, and I am saddened that her application has been rejected. She is motivated only by being a caring parent who seeks to share some of the advantages and opportunities that her life has given her. This time it did not work out, but there will be other opportunities and I wish her well in them. She is a great mum."

-------------------------------------------------------

It's very nice, though he shouldn't have said that it didn't work out, as it's still in process. It also serves him quite nicely PR-vice.

Madonna's lawyer Alan Chinula later announced: 'I just filed the notice of appeal this afternoon on instructions from my client.'

Guest Pud Whacker
Madonna's Adoption Denied: Was it the right decision?

Yes 70% 3124

No 30% 1323

Keep the fighting spirit...

wow, very bizarre. norman mailer said something great in the esquire article he did on her in 94. it was how marilyn was loved by the public and madonna, although even more famous - his words, not mine - take it up with his coffin, is loathed. this proves his point.

wow, very bizarre. norman mailer said something great in the esquire article he did on her in 94. it was how marilyn was loved by the public and madonna, although even more famous - his words, not mine - take it up with his coffin, is loathed. this proves his point.

But of course Pud, Marilyn was demure, warm, soft, feminine, sexy but not aggressively so, tragic, pretty, portrayed as weak and so on. Everything a woman surely SHOULD be?!! What it feels like for a girl...

Guest Pud Whacker
But of course Pud, Marilyn was demure, warm, soft, feminine, sexy but not aggressively so, tragic, pretty, portrayed as weak and so on. Everything a woman surely SHOULD be?!! What it feels like for a girl...

:rotfl:

its that time of year again for everyone to throw their hate on madonna. whether she does good things or provocative, they dump on her. :thumbsdown:

So true. People make a vote based on their personal opinion about Madonna, not the issue of this adoption itself. Otherwise the results were different. But therfore they need to think about the whole situation and this is probably a little bit too much to ask for.

"We are very surprised with this ruling," Alan Chinula tells Us.

Women and Child Welfare minister Anna Kachikho -- who oversees the country's adoptions -- says she's "shocked by the ruling.

"I don't see what's wrong for Madonna to take one child as her own," she tells Us. "She has not used the back door."

Kachikho points out the singer's organization Raising Malawi is assisting over 25,000 orphans in the poverty-stricken nation.

The country's information minister Patricia Kaliati said yesterday: "We support her adoption process. Madonna's been good to us...and she's proved she can take care of David."

So why was Madonna allowed to adopt David, but not Mercy?

"It's a shocker, but [Chombo] belongs to the old school; she is very religious and a moralist," a source at Malawi's High Court tells Us. "She might not be in favor of Madonna's lifestyle of getting in and out of relationships and her semi-nude stage antics."

------------------------------------

Tragic that the child's life depends on the randomness of the judge you happen to fall on.

So true. People make a vote based on their personal opinion about Madonna, not the issue of this adoption itself. Otherwise the results were different. But therfore they need to think about the whole situation and this is probably a little bit too much to ask for.

Exactly. A girl at work today started to lay into her, fair enough, it's her opinion. When challenged her reaction was "yeah, well I hate her anyway". People are of course allowed to oppose the adoption on principle, and some of the arguments are compelling, but at least argue the point from an informed unbiased position.

Guest Pud Whacker
People just can't see beyond their positions. Put yourself in the place of any orphan from Malawi: what would you want the most?

totally.

also, its much different adopting an infant than a three year old. the older they get the less people want them. i guess, that moralist lawyer feels closer to her faith while children are sick and dying and parents are dropping out of their village from AIDS. stupid woman.

Guest Pud Whacker

one last note before i go for a few hours...

i wish madonna would speak publicly about this situation with a press conference that would be BLAST around the world via every media outlet. :thumbsup:

i wish madonna would speak publicly about this situation with a press conference that would be BLAST around the world via every media outlet. :thumbsup:

Oh Yes...that would be great. Perhaps a live sit down with Oprah? :thumbsup:

I'm so saddened for her and that little girl. I hope the appeal goes in her favor. The statement from Guy was also pretty fucking great of him. He really could have kept mum on the whole thing. I still think he's a douchebag, but my opinion of him went up a few notches. :thumbsup:

It´s not gonna happen. She considers this a private matter .

But this will cause a debate anyway. In Malawi and internationally. As result of this ruling the Malawi government is forced to face the truth about their archaic adoption laws and the need to modernize them. Hurdles for parents who are willing to adopt a kid from Malwai are way too high. If the government and the people of Malawi really want to help some of their orphans they should start to re-think all of this. Otherwise this will cause more harm than anything.

Guest hot revolver

Madge looks so bummed but she will move on. I really admire her strength and her ability to carry on wit life.

marie osmond comments on the adoption

<embed src="http://www.etonline.com/media/flash/FlowPlayerWhite121.swf?config=%7Bembedded%3Atrue%2CbaseURL%3A%27http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eetonline%2Ecom%2Fmedia%2Fflash%27%2CconfigFileName%3A%27http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eetonline%2Ecom%2Fmedia%2Fvideo%2F2009%2F03%2F72347%2Findex%2Dwpromo%2Ephp%27%2CautoPlay%3Atrue%7D" width="400" height="300" scale="noscale" bgcolor="111111" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Aw i loved her on dancing wit the stars!

Here's the decision.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/341026...274166efa_o.jpg

It doesn't say one word about any residency requirement. It says international adoptions aren't allowed if there is a suitable place for the child to live in and that the orphanage is a suitable place.

Is this woman insane? Anyone can see that an orphanage is no place for a child!

She says that did not apply with David because there the orphange was only temporary since the father agreed to take him back, but he couldn't because he couldn't take care of him.

But didn't the grandmother have the same agreement in Mercy's case? There's no mention of that in this decision.

She may live past the age of 48. Theres plent yof the rich western world who dont make it past 48 too. Just because she may end up having a poor life in Africa does not mean she will be unhappy.

There is this sick assumption with a lot of fans that Mercy is losing out simply because the judge is not allowing her to be bought by some wealthy westerner. I agree its child trafficking. It just looks like a latest celebrity fad. No one knows what Madonna's real intentions are but at the end of the day I doubt she could manage a career, 4 kids - oh yeah i forgot she has a lot of nannies to help her with her kids.

If there was an 18 month residency rule then why did they allow David to be adopted?

The reason why Angelina Jolie doe snot get as much bad publicity is because she has been involved in UN voluntary efforts for quite a while. To outsiders it would appear madonna is just jumping on a bandwagon.

Go fuck yourself

Here's the decision.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/341026...274166efa_o.jpg

It doesn't say one word about any residency requirement. It says international adoptions aren't allowed if there is a suitable place for the child to live in and that the orphanage is a suitable place.

Is this woman insane? Anyone can see that an orphanage is no place for a child!

She says that did not apply with David because there the orphange was only temporary since the father agreed to take him back, but he couldn't because he couldn't take care of him.

But didn't the grandmother have the same agreement in Mercy's case? There's no mention of that in this decision.

The judge stated that these adoptions should only as last solution, and as the orphanage that Mercy lives in now is suitable there's no kind of vital need for that adoption. The reason that the orphanage in more suitable (and stable) now is cuz Madonna began funding it! Unbelievable!

Not only that, but can she call a life in an orphanage suitable?!

the judge also prays that Mercy will receive the benefits from M's work. Well there's no need for "prayers" as M is offering a loving home with the all the benefits she could ever need!

From what can be understood from the reports is that now the appeal goes to higher court, so that means different judge. Hopefully this is true, as it doesn't look that promising with this judge.

If the supreme court denies too i wonder what Mercy will think in 10 years when she is old enough to understand that she almost got adopted by Madonna and could have had such a different life. About Guy speaking up , its good but like someone said here earlier its more likely for PR reasons. After the divorce, all of a sudden Guy is UK´s new darling.

Huge Kudos for what Guy Ritchie said on it!!!

Totally.... still kind of numbed by the apparent stupidity of this decision..... but can't help questioning the "verdict" and definitely also feeling vicariously slapped... whilst we can all respect the adoption/trafficking laws of any country... if M is a suitable guardian for one child how can she be unsuitable for another....

am wondering how much of her divorce has played a part in the judge's decision...

Absolutely! I was thinking that earlier today. She should pen a few articles, too. I only see this turning her into more of an activist for this country.

I'm so saddened for her and that little girl. I hope the appeal goes in her favor. The statement from Guy was also pretty fucking great of him. He really could have kept mum on the whole thing. I still think he's a douchebag, but my opinion of him went up a few notches. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Why does nt she adopt some poor orphan from the States? In a judges mind do you think Madonna would be considered fit enough to adopt after she is vetted even in the Western World?

What made her choose Mercy out of all the other kids? I personally could not choose to save 1 child alone knowing all the rest were in the same situation.

One has 24 hours in a day - in that she would have to sleep,look after 3 other kids, take time out for her career and work related commitments, jet around the world, exercise in the gym - is it really 3 hours a day?, hair and beauty treatments, attend/do Kabalah stuff - she is one busy lady and I dont see how she could manage one more child.

Children need a lot of time and devotion - not even your average 9-5 working parent spends enough time with their child. I think the government should discourage long working hours fir parents - in fact make it illegal. If people want kids they need to want to take the time out to spend with them.

yes, better leave an orphaned child in an orphanage with any type of family, love and an opportunity of a fulfilling healthy life and a great education all because people don't spend 24 hrs a day with their children.