The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

If she takes a too long a break she will be even "older" when she returns. It must be a very tricky stage for her in her career as she wants to still dress provocatively and make dance singles and in a way that will alienate a lot of people except her solid gay fanbase.

Do I want her making the pure pop sounds off the last 2 albums? No. Do I want her to make underground influenced electro-dance music which she has indulged in at times from 1990-2003? I would not mind it but would I see her as some sort of cool underground artist? Definitely not and thats because of her age. She has to start acting her age. I have no problems with her performing or even outperforming others but some of the recent costumes, songs point to one thing - someone who wants to be young forever. Going old gracefully does not mean she should retire but I guess a reflection f maturity in her work?

I actually think we are going to get another pop-urban-dance album with sounds similar to HC/Celebration and COADF.

pair with the bug queen and get you a big enema, maybe that will bring some happiness to your bitterness :angel:

If she takes a too long a break she will be even "older" when she returns. It must be a very tricky stage for her in her career as she wants to still dress provocatively and make dance singles and in a way that will alienate a lot of people except her solid gay fanbase.

I actually think we are going to get another pop-urban-dance album with sounds similar to HC/Celebration and COADF.

PITIFUL. But she really has no choice. Regardless of what she does to her face, her voice is ageing and she'll soon be at the point where she's unable to deliver anything other than crappy and dated, generic disco pap.

PITIFUL. But she really has no choice. Regardless of what she does to her face, her voice is ageing and she'll soon be at the point where she's unable to deliver anything other than crappy and dated, generic disco pap.

fuck-off.jpg

fuck-off-smokers.jpg

just_for_laughs_festival.jpg

Edited by charles

you should know, Grampa.

Theres no law in the country that stops her doing what she does but why cant she be proud to look like a good looking 51 year old, rather than try look 25?

We all grow old and we should do it with pride. When you go out of your way to try look half your age then it just shows self esteem issues.

I would hate for Madonna to be making cheesey dance songs like Cher did over the last 10 years. Nor will she be able to cut it with the latest underground producer.

Madonna acting her age has nothing to do with her and everything to do with you. Madonna is acting like Madonna at 51 would act. She's reflected and showed her mature side at 30, 40 and in between. It's not like HC is completely upbeat with songs about having fun and dancing, there's other stuff too. But after ROL, Music and AL all of which were "deeper" for Madonna standards, it was time to have fun again. It's not like she hasn't proven that she's capable of more than fluffy dance/pop songs. Back in 2003 that was one element people were starting to miss from Madonna. Critics and fans alike were pointing it out.

Madonna has got over most hurdles and backlashes in her life but the age one is going to be something completely new. She has already lost the battle in the USA 5 years ago and the UK is sooner or later going to follow suit.

Guest Danny86

Madonna has got over most hurdles and backlashes in her life but the age one is going to be something completely new. She has already lost the battle in the USA 5 years ago and the UK is sooner or later going to follow suit.

But this is only in your head. There's no battle because it's decided by one side. No matter what music Madonna makes, she would still be considered old by US radio and UK's Radio 1. It's absolutely ridiculous to think "Celebration" was snubbed by Radio 1 because the song was "not good enough" or Madonna was "acting young" when more simpler dance songs like by Basshunter have no problem in getting support. It's also nonsense to think Madonna would sell more if she made music that's "her age" (and I don't even know what a 51 year old woman in pop should be making after 27 years of hits that almost always managed to capture new and younger fans)... And in the end she remains the winner in the US because she sold out 4 tours across America in this decade, yet someone like Mariah, who gets bigger airplay than practically anything Madonna released in the 2000s cannot do one huge tour. That should be your answer why we're laughing at Mariah by the way, because she has nothing to fall back on, unlike Madonna, who owns the highest paid recording contracts of a female artist these days.

What I don't get that some fans made up this assumption that goes: "Madonna should realize no matter how desperate she is, she won't be played by radio and her sales are dwindling, which should WAKE HER UP and start making music SHE LIKES/nothing that sounds what's on the charts", which assumes that 1) Madonna only likes stuff that is not mainstream, which is dismissing 90% of her career at the VERY least and 2) She's a musical genius who single-handedly can create new sounds and reform the pop scene, but DUMBS IT DOWN TO GET A HIT. Insane!

As for the Cher comparison, sorry but that's nonsense and it's only used by insecure ROL/AL fans who happen to dislike Madonna's current stuff and can't accept Madonna is getting older so they are caught up in negative comments like "Madonna is acting like a 15 year old". Cher's career has nothing on Madonna's, "Believe" was a fluke, everything else was ignored in the US after that and wasn't her last album released before AL anyway, and her "dance period" is just 2 similar sounding Eurodance albums released within 3-4 years apart? Madonna's Music, HU, 4M, Celebration and Revolver are nothing alike and dismissing all of them as "Cher like dance music" is ignorant. Almost everything in the pop scene is dance now because people are looking for hot beats that instantly gets their attention and not ambient or acoustic stuff. And it's not like Cher invented dance music, Madonna was BORN out of dance music in 1982.

Anyway, to me it seems that you're not actually listening to anything what's said in this thread and you keep on fabricating weak chart arguments to hide the fact that YOU are not satisfied with what she does now and you think what you say is meant to be a "wake up call" for Madonna and her fans. I understand you can't get over it, but it's very "loony" to continuously repeat that to make drama and act like you're smarter than Madonna herself when it comes to business and you know what's good for her.

i only believe that Madonna's problem is that she does so many things at the same time and that she doesn't believe anymore in going to every shows to promote her music...coz i still believe that if she does goes back to the ROL era where she is almost present at all possible shows u cud think of..then maybe...just maybe...

Plenty of older acts still craft music that is very well-recieved- it may not be as commercially successful as in the past, but older acts stil lcan make great albums. How anyone could think Madonna is incapable of producing another *great* album again is beyond me. As far as chart success- yeah, it's not going to be as lucrative- that comes with advanced age (especially in the USA).

As for the UK, she got to #2 in airplay, which is pretty significant for a 51-year-old, no? It may have freefalled after peaking, but it spent a good 6 weeks or so in the airplay top 10, no? The tracck itself is fun and tolerable, but nowhere close to being up to par with one of her many classics. And the video... disposable, to say the least.

And it's still not even :semifunny:

"ay ay ayyyy madonna is old , she's an old fart!!!....ayyyy""""

"ay ayayayayyyy madonna can't dance!! can't sing! can't perform! can't make anymore good music because she's 51....ayyyy!!!!

9038.jpg

Guest boytoyville

Generic Disco Pop = Lady Gaga.

Just Dance in particular sounds like something off of the Spice Girls Spice album.

Theres no law in the country that stops her doing what she does but why cant she be proud to look like a good looking 51 year old, rather than try look 25?

We all grow old and we should do it with pride. When you go out of your way to try look half your age then it just shows self esteem issues.

I would hate for Madonna to be making cheesey dance songs like Cher did over the last 10 years. Nor will she be able to cut it with the latest underground producer.

Madonna showing skin since she's been 50 has gotten more criticism from her fans than it got when she was doing the exact same thing at age 47. People need to get over their hangups.

Come to think of it, how many 35 year old women do you know that like to parade nude down the busiest street in their city? I'm sure most "average" 35 year old women don't find that very dignified. How many 40 year old women do you see wearing see through shirts that clearly show their nipples like she did many times during ROL era? Most "average" 40 year old women would find that pathetic and immature. You're late to the party with the "growing old with pride" comment. That could be applied to any era really since she hasn't been in her 20's. She's a pop star, they aren't supposed to "act their age" like mom, Auntie Jane or the lady that rings up your groceries. Why has Madonna dressing skanky only become a problem now? What made her showing her muff at 35 so much more dignified?

Finally, are we discussing the same Madonna? lol It's shocking to see anybody shocked that MADONNA would be showing skin in her 50's. If you would've asked ANYBODY 20 years ago "who do you think will still be showing skin 20 years from now?" they probably ALL would've said MADONNA. Madonna has always been a bit "out there" with things. I think only fans with preconceived notions about what/how she should be doing things find her recent choice of clothing/antics surprising.

And consider the fact that many people find Madonna trying to stay in the game AT ALL in her 50's....regardless of whether she did rock, country, folk, soul or pop.....to be desperate. She is and has been for many many years...basically half her career now....been playing a young girls game in a old woman's body (at least in the pop world).

As has been mentioned, ‘Confessions…’ was only 4 years ago and few people complained about M ‘acting her age’ then. It seems that since she’s hit the magic number of 50 some people’s ageism has suddenly pounced and they can’t comprehend that someone in their 50s would be just carrying on as usual and not suddenly turning into a demure, reflective type.

Meanwhile, look at artists like The Rolling Stones, Prince, U2, REM, David Bowie – I rarely hear their fans viciously attacking them and asking them to stop making the music they’ve been making their entire careers simply because they’ve reached middle-age (and in some cases beyond).

Generic Disco Pop = Celebration - it sounds like something that would have been cool in 1996 :lmao:

Bad Romance= awful version of Poker face

and what's it with her saying her name again in a song? that's so cheap...Gaga gaga gagaaaaaaaaaaaa

34509.jpg

Generic Disco Pop = Celebration - it sounds like something that would have been cool in 1996 :lmao:

I agree that Celebration was dated shit but lets not forget your idol lady gag creates shit euro pop.

and what's it with her saying her name again in a song? that's so cheap...Gaga gaga gagaaaaaaaaaaaa

Not near as cheap as having to have someone young enough to be your grandson give you a name check for doing backing vocals on his record in a desperate attempt to have a hit. :lmao:

:hand:

From Billboard:

Madonna Takes Top Honors At Billboard Touring Awards

Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet tour was the big winner at the sixth annual Billboard Touring Awards, taking home honors for Top Tour and Top Draw, which acknowledge the highest-grossing and highest-attended tours of the year, respectively. Madonna’s manager Guy Oseary won the Top Manager award.

source: billboard

83 Responses :

materialchick says:

November 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm

go go girl!!!

the only woman capable of achieving this!

now, where are all the other “America’s sweethearts”?…Mariah?…Gaga?….NOT!

Right in your buggy face, bitch! :lmao::tongue:

Friday Update Top 40 Only - Madonna is top 30 in the albums. Bon Jovi should have just enough of a lead to fend of CC in the albums but she might do it due to Saturday chav sales.

Singles

1 JLS 97.2k

2 Cheryl Cole 54.9k

3 Black Eyed Peas [MMH] 35.6k

4 Jay Sean 31.4k

5 Alexandra Burke 30.3k

Top 10

Chase & Status

Ke$ha

Lady GaGa

Top 15

Jay-Z ft. Alicia

Miley

Snow Patrol

Top 20

Calvin Harris

Paolo Nutini

Journey

Top 30

Bon Jovi

Cheryl Cole

Beyonce

Laura White

Top 40

Chris Brown

Albums

1 Bon Jovi 59.4k

2 Cheryl Cole 52.5k

3 Michael Buble 47.1k

4 Foo Fighters 46.2k

5 Michael Jackson 30.6k

Top 10

Katherine Jenkins [ultimate Collection]

Beyonce

Black Eyed Peas

Top 15

Sting

Top 20

Bee Gees

Top 30

Pink

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Nirvana

Top 40

Slayer

Julian Casablancas

Not near as cheap as having to have someone young enough to be your grandson give you a name check for doing backing vocals on his record in a desperate attempt to have a hit. :lmao:

This is completely hypothetical of course but do you mean desperate like seeing grown ass men cling on to the latest pop slut only to act like they never did 2 years later when she's no longer "it"?? My boyfriend is pushing 40 and he has the tendency to do that too. It must make one feel "cool" and "youthful" to know that at that age you can still get down with the kids in the fag bar when Gaga comes on.

20061114_sheep.jpg

Guest Danny86

:rotfl:

You know the "rules" Kurt. An artist can be desperate, but her fans, never. It's not even the LEAST desperate that you only care about chart-topping music.