Who is in charge?

karbatal

So, in a couple of thread this has been asked. For example, Madonna "couldn't" release a Rebel album and a Heart album. But for years we have assumed that she was her own boss, because Interscope was a deal to distribute the album.

She was the one who decided to upload the tracks on December after the leaks. But then she couldn't do 2 albums. Who didn't let her do that?

My theory: she is in charge. Absolutely. But she is sometimes advised about it, and then she says "and i couldn't" because it's easier than explaining everything.

I also think contracts played a part in that decision. As M wanted to release two seperate albums at the same time, this would have ended her live nation contract.

Maybe she was advised not to because of sales.

I don't know why she couldn't just do a double disc.

So, in a couple of thread this has been asked. For example, Madonna "couldn't" release a Rebel album and a Heart album. But for years we have assumed that she was her own boss, because Interscope was a deal to distribute the album.

She was the one who decided to upload the tracks on December after the leaks. But then she couldn't do 2 albums. Who didn't let her do that?

My theory: she is in charge. Absolutely. But she is sometimes advised about it, and then she says "and i couldn't" because it's easier than explaining everything.

I also think contracts played a part in that decision. As M wanted to release two seperate albums at the same time, this would have ended her live nation contract.

Maybe she was advised not to because of sales.

I don't know why she couldn't just do a double disc.

Both of these ideas seem to make sense. It just was weird that she said she couldn't release a double album. As if someone said no. Maybe that someone was her lawyer.

Edited by Lucky Star One

RH

DISC 1: REBEL

1. Bitch I'm Madonna

2. Illuminati

3. Devil Pray

4. Iconic

5. Unapologetic Bitch

6. Best Night

7. Holy Water

8. SEX

9. Addicted

10. Graffiti Heart

11. Alone With You

12. Borrowed Time

13. Wash All Over Me

14. Veni Vidi Vici

Disc 2: HEART

1. Living for Love

2. Hold Tight

3. Ghosttown

4. Body Shop

5. Never Let you Go

6. Inside Out

7. HeartBreakCity

8. Joan of Arc

9. Tragic Girl

10. Beautiful Scars

11. Nothing Lasts Forever

12. Queen

13. Rebel Heart

14. Messiah

RH

1. Bitch I'm Madonna

2. Illuminati

3. Devil Pray

4. Iconic

5. Unapologetic Bitch

6. Best Night

7. Holy Water

8. SEX

9. Addicted

10. Graffiti Heart
11. Iconic

12. Borrowed Time

13. Wash All Over Me

14. Veni Vidi Vici

1. Living for Love

2. Hold Tight

3. Ghosttown

4. Body Shop

5. Never Let you Go

6. Inside Out

7. HeartBreakCity

8. Joan of Arc
9. Tragic Girl
10. Beautiful Scars
12. Queen
13. Rebel Heart
14. Messiah

Would love that as a double album. Just add Alone with you and it is perfection. So many great songs this era.

Releasing album is an option, not a must for her LN contract (I read it in some articles on this regarding her contract).

Only touring is a must.

I guess it's difficult to sell a double disc as compare to single disc.

I think she is mostly in charge but she still has to get the green light from Interscope on any releases. She said in an interview about the separated album and mentioned "my record company said no", so I think Interscope is more than just a distributor as first thought. I think she has more control but at the end of the day she is still on their label.

Guest bluejean

The record label pays for all the promotion etc so they are not going to sign a deal that gives the artist 100% creative freedom. I doubt such a thing exists, even for Madonna. Unless they are 100% independent but what truly successful artist is?

RH

1. Bitch I'm Madonna

2. Illuminati

3. Devil Pray

4. Iconic

5. Unapologetic Bitch

6. Best Night

7. Holy Water

8. SEX

9. Addicted

10. Graffiti Heart

11. Alone With You

12. Borrowed Time

13. Wash All Over Me

14. Veni Vidi Vici

1. Living for Love

2. Hold Tight

3. Ghosttown

4. Body Shop

5. Never Let you Go

6. Inside Out

7. HeartBreakCity

8. Joan of Arc

9. Tragic Girl

10. Beautiful Scars

12. Queen

13. Rebel Heart

14. Messiah

Still pretty disappointed there was no double album for these mostly great songs. Like others have said before, the double album might have provided a more coherent and focused track listing even though I can personally listen to the album straight through without skipping songs.

Take M for her word that Interscope said no about the double album concept, but found the three different RH versions a bit confusing even though all artwork looked fantastic.

They probably didn't want to have a double album count as two albums towards the contract.

But I don't see why they couldn't have just released a double album, they could have even priced it as a regular album. It might have inspired more fans to purchase it instead of just "throwing the songs away".

Of course, most people already have them because of the leaks, but the decision was likely made before they happened.

Still pretty disappointed there was no double album for these mostly great songs. Like others have said before, the double album might have provided a more coherent and focused track listing even though I can personally listen to the album straight through without skipping songs.

Take M for her word that Interscope said no about the double album concept, but found the three different RH versions a bit confusing even though all artwork looked fantastic.

She still could have do whatever she wanted. With 3 different versions, some songs could have been on the first one (the 'chosen' ones as the stonger or more commercial), then other songs in the second one and all the controversial and bitch ones on the third. Or she could have used different versions, like the accoustic RH on the standard, and the other one on the Deluxe...

It's the third version, the megasuperdeluxe what is a bit disappointing, because she could have add there like 10 songs more instead of those poppered-up remixes.