Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary

peter

This probably isn't worthy of its own thread, but there isn't one in the "Entertainment and Celebrities" section yet... A 40th anniversary special aired this evening on American television for Saturday Night Live. As many of you know, Madonna has appeared many times over the years, once as host and once as musical guest. The other times were guest appearances.

Anyway, Madonna popped up three times this evening, all in archival clips: Her introduction of herself as host ("Hi, I'm Madonna and I'll be your comedy love slave tonight") appeared in the general retrospective, along with her appearance in the Linda Richman sketch that included Roseanne Barr and Barbra Streisand. Much later in the program, when they had a reel dedicated to the pre-taped 'short films,' they included a brief shot of her when she parodied the "Justify My Love" video with Wayne and Garth (Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey).

It did not appear that she attended the event, although I'm sure she was invited. Musical guests for this evening included Paul McCartney, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West (with Sia), and Paul Simon.

Maybe we should rank her sketches on SNL?

1) Coffee Tawk

2) Marika

3) Truth or Dare

4) Happy Birthday Mr President

5) the "Joan Collins" one

6) Princess Diana

7) That telephone call one

Although I must admit I never found 6 and 7 funny.

Do I forget about any other?

I like the one where she pokes fun about the photographers at her wedding with Sean Penn, and each sides family members.

Jon Lovitz died?

is this news, this popped up on my tumblr

No, Jon Lovitz did not die. It was a running gag on the special -- they kept including him in the tributes to the folks who have died, but then they'd cut to him in the audience, and he'd be going "WTF?!" He was in on it, I'm sure. Sorta lampooning the celebrity death hoaxes in a way.

just a quick question about SNL... when MADONNA did that skit with Lady Reductive, what is the one that was shown? The conservative clothed MADONNA or the one with only the bra?

On their YouTube channel it's the conservative one. Gaga had fucked up the beginning of the other one.

The more conservative outfit was the dress rehearsal, which went off correctly. The live one (which is what aired the first time it was broadcast) had the more skin-baring outfit for M. There are varying accounts as to who is at fault, but ... there was so much applause when M turned around that it wasn't possible for the two of them to start their singing on time. (Lady Gaga had the first line, and she didn't come in when appropriate.) Unfortunately, there were backing vocals (on "looks like your wig needs a FIX!") on the backing track -- so there was no way for them to just start a measure late and have everything be okay. So the sketch kinda suffered.

Since then, I think SNL has been sharing the dress rehearsal footage more, because they nailed their lines and choreography correctly that time. M's outfit is the giveaway -- otherwise, we might never have known the difference when they replaced the footage. (There are other little nuances, I think, when they are on the couch with Kenan, but the performance piece was really flubbed, unfortunately.)

Maybe we should rank her sketches on SNL?

1) Coffee Tawk

2) Marika

3) Truth or Dare

4) Happy Birthday Mr President

5) the "Joan Collins" one

6) Princess Diana

7) That telephone call one

Although I must admit I never found 6 and 7 funny.

Do I forget about any other?

Fairly recently, she appeared with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake in a sketch where the guys play Bee Gees. Barry Gibb showed up, too, if I'm not mistaken?

No, Jon Lovitz did not die. It was a running gag on the special -- they kept including him in the tributes to the folks who have died, but then they'd cut to him in the audience, and he'd be going "WTF?!" He was in on it, I'm sure. Sorta lampooning the celebrity death hoaxes in a way.

The more conservative outfit was the dress rehearsal, which went off correctly. The live one (which is what aired the first time it was broadcast) had the more skin-baring outfit for M. There are varying accounts as to who is at fault, but ... there was so much applause when M turned around that it wasn't possible for the two of them to start their singing on time. (Lady Gaga had the first line, and she didn't come in when appropriate.) Unfortunately, there were backing vocals (on "looks like your wig needs a FIX!") on the backing track -- so there was no way for them to just start a measure late and have everything be okay. So the sketch kinda suffered.

Since then, I think SNL has been sharing the dress rehearsal footage more, because they nailed their lines and choreography correctly that time. M's outfit is the giveaway -- otherwise, we might never have known the difference when they replaced the footage. (There are other little nuances, I think, when they are on the couch with Kenan, but the performance piece was really flubbed, unfortunately.)

Interesting. I hated that skit anyway. I always cringed when Gaga said "We're pop icons", considering only one of them is worthy of that title and it ain't her. I thought that skit was beneath Madonna to be honest, she is worthy of greater comedy material (as she's proven). On the plus side at least she looked hot.

Edited by nefarious

Interesting. I hated that skit anyway. I always cringed when Gaga said "We're pop icons", considering only one of them is worthy of that title and it ain't her. I thought that skit was beneath Madonna to be honest, she is worthy of greater comedy material (as she's proven). On the plus side at least she looked hot.

Agreed. Especially in light of everything that has happened since, it feels a little misguided. But you're right -- she looked good.

When I was at the bookstore this week (trying to see if they had the issue of MOJO with M on the cover -- alas, it was STILL David Bowie), I picked up a copy of People magazine's special collector's issue honoring SNL's 40th anniversary. Madonna is in it quite a lot, actually. The Wayne's World with Madonna was listed as one of the best of the 90s, and they had a huge full-page picture of the Linda Richman sketch with M.

She was mentioned in other places, too ... like Sean Penn's Church Lady sketch, and she is visible in the background of another full-page photo of Jimmy Fallon (as Barry Gibb) with Timberlake.

There are quotes in the back extracted from a book titled Live from New York (a history of SNL). The comments (one from a show writer, another from Damon Wayans) refer to Madonna's hosting gig during the show's 11th season. They are not very complimentary. (The writer claimed they got a high number of complaints because the show was terrible, and Wayans claimed Madonna had developed a facial tic by the time the show was about to start -- that her eye was popping off her face. Really terrible quotes. :( I find it suspicious, though, that she has been back SO many times since then. Obviously Lorne Michaels likes her and believes in her comedic capabilities and commanding presence.)