"Madonna showed up, was super personable and ready to work"

XXL

EXACTLY. I also hate when people say that she became a star just because of controversy and gimmicks. People don't buy your records and go to your concerts for three straight decades just because you're controversial. Those people usually disappear. Madonna brings the goods though. She has made some amazing music and gives us great performances, and THAT is the reason why she is still here.

THIS!!!

she did just like Burning Up, Gambler and Hey You

"Burning Up", "Gambler" and "Shoo-Bee-Doo" are all bona fide solo compositions, "Everybody" is a co-write with Steve Bray, and "Hey You" is officially listed as a solo composition, but Pharrell was given credit on the single (why I do not know). It's also highly likely that "Physical Attraction" is a solo composition, but for reasons completely unknown, she signed all of the rights over to Reggie Lucas. Everything else she's released since then has been a co-write.

I'm not quite sure where you were coming from with your post, but I suspect you were implying that Madonna didn't actually write any of those tracks herself (in spite of what the credits indicate).

Lori's post is fantastic :thumbsup:

I've spent years (literally!) defending Madonna's involvement in the creation of her music (both here and elsewhere), and I've had some quite heated "arguments" with various people about it, who have claimed that I'm delusional and that I'm inflating the importance of Madonna's creative contributions (!). The fact remains that Madonna is responsible for the bulk of what she sings (i.e. the lyrics and melody), while her collaborators tends to shape the musical backing itself. Obviously, each track would be created slightly differently, but this basic process has been confirmed by almost all of her collaborators over the past 30 years (who are all just lying, according to some people!).

Why is it so hard for some to believe that Madonna is an extremely talented songwriter?

Sean Douglas, Michael Keaton's Son, on Writing for Madonna & Downplaying His Family Ties

Great article and it gives us a little more insight into some of the Rebel Heart sessions. Thanks for posting, XXL!

I've spent years (literally!) defending Madonna's involvement in the creation of her music (both here and elsewhere), and I've had some quite heated "arguments" with various people about it, who have claimed that I'm delusional and that I'm inflating the importance of Madonna's creative contributions (!). The fact remains that Madonna is responsible for the bulk of what she sings (i.e. the lyrics and melody), while her collaborators tends to shape the musical backing itself. Obviously, each track would be created slightly differently, but this basic process has been confirmed by almost all of her collaborators over the past 30 years (who are all just lying, according to some people!).

Why is it so hard for some to believe that Madonna is an extremely talented songwriter?

Carta, Always loved and appreciated how you have taken them on for years at other Madonna forums where they insist her contributions to her own music is minimal. I don't know how you have the patience and manners to stay sane when dealing with "fans" who don't think she has a lot to do with the creation of her own music.

"Burning Up", "Gambler" and "Shoo-Bee-Doo" are all bona fide solo compositions, "Everybody" is a co-write with Steve Bray, and "Hey You" is officially listed as a solo composition, but Pharrell was given credit on the single (why I do not know). It's also highly likely that "Physical Attraction" is a solo composition, but for reasons completely unknown, she signed all of the rights over to Reggie Lucas. Everything else she's released since then has been a co-write.

I'm not quite sure where you were coming from with your post, but I suspect you were implying that Madonna didn't actually write any of those tracks herself (in spite of what the credits indicate).

I remember Stephen Bray saying that Physical Attraction was solely written by Madonna, but I don't remember which interview it was.

I remember Stephen Bray saying that Physical Attraction was solely written by Madonna, but I don't remember which interview it was.

Physical Attraction does sound a lot like Crimes of Passion, which was before her first album.

But Burning Up WAS written with Steve Bray, along with everybody. She took credit for some songs and he took credit for others (Ain't no big deal and stay).

Are you sure? Steve has only ever indicated that he and Madonna came to an arrangement over "Everybody" and "Ain't No Big Deal". Madonna has a solo credit for "Burning Up" and they share credit for "Stay". The authorship of neither of those songs has ever been questioned.

Yes - I've mentioned this several times in the past myself, but I've yet to find the source, which is annoying! He said that he thought it was a Madonna composition (implying that he had heard it before Reggie Lucas started working with her) and was surprised when it wasn't credited to her when it was released. It's also listed at the US Copyright office as a solo Madonna composition, but a later entry has it credited to Reggie Lucas. Odd.

Carta, Always loved and appreciated how you have taken them on for years at other Madonna forums where they insist her contributions to her own music is minimal. I don't know how you have the patience and manners to stay sane when dealing with "fans" who don't think she has a lot to do with the creation of her own music.

Thanks Jazzyjan! :thumbsup: The general public has absolutely no idea that Madonna co-writes everything that she records (and has done since 1985, covers, "Dick Tracy" tracks and "Bedtime Stories" aside), so it would be nice if her fans acknowledged this impressive achievement. Credit where credit is due, and when you've got just about every one of her major collaborators singing her praises in this respect, it's improbable that they're all lying.

Are you sure? Steve has only ever indicated that he and Madonna came to an arrangement over "Everybody" and "Ain't No Big Deal". Madonna has a solo credit for "Burning Up" and they share credit for "Stay". The authorship of neither of those songs has ever been questioned.

You're right, I had my facts mixed up.

I remember Steve Bray (tv interview) said M laid on the floor and written the lyrics for Into the groove in minutes! He said she's underated songwriter and producer.

:clap: