Tori Amos on covering Madonna's Frozen

XXL

Tori Amos Goes Under The Covers With Miley Cyrus, Madonna And Metallica

toriamos_2_1361534853.jpg

Over the past two decades, singer-songwriter Tori Amos has sold millions of records and racked up eight top 10 albums including her latest, "Unrepentant Geraldines," which she released in May.

But if you've ever seen the piano prodigy live, you understand her true dominion is the stage. Known for setlists that change wildly from night to night (and inspire fans to see multiple shows each tour -- some have seen her perform hundreds of times), Amos recently took "unexpected" to the next level on the European/South African leg of her "Unrepentant Geraldines" tour, which wrapped up late last month.

Not only did she stud the sets with deep cuts and rarities from her own catalog, she also performed what she calls "The Lizard Lounge," a section of her show where she played covers of songs by everyone from Miley Cyrus to Madonna to Metallica.

A week before Amos brings her tour to North America, The Huffington Post sat down with her in New York City to chat about how she chooses the covers, why guys in metal bands really get her, that one time she called Morrissey a "small-dick motherfucker" and more . . . . .

What about Madonna’s “Frozen”? You’ve done “Live To Tell” before and you’ve done “Like A Prayer,” but why “Frozen”?

This girl had been asking me for it and asking me for it and asking me for it and I’d been thinking, OK. Yeah. Let me get my head around it. And then she told me in a different city that she had a muscle issue she was dealing with and all of a sudden the poetry lined up. She is so beautiful — so beautiful — and I’m not talking about on the inside, she’s stunning. She’s a looker. And you wouldn’t realize that she’s going through this and all of a sudden the muses said to me “the muscles are frozen.”

From that moment, the song was for her. She was bringing her parents that night in Amsterdam and it all came together at soundcheck and I told the crew, “Let’s work this out.” She had been to a few shows and sometimes when the young ones come out, I don’t know if they’re leaving school to come or what but I don’t want their parents to think I’m [cult leader] Jim Jones because that isn’t my thing [laughs]! I’m not handing out space cakes to people at the stage door… you see what I’m saying. So

I wanted the parents to also feel like their daughter’s request was being met. But I had no idea people would respond to it. I didn’t have a way in to “Frozen” until it all came together with why she was asking me for that but she told me afterward that she hadn't been asking me for it for that reason.

She talks about that unknown girl and says nothing of Madonna!

I don't mind her not mentioning Madonna. Just thinking so much of Frozen is all the mention of Madonna needed in this I think. People know it's her song.

Why should she talk about Madonna, as if it's some unknown artist she's covering who needs the PR? It was a huge hit. Everyone knows it's a Madonna song. When the song came out, Tori praised it in an interview. Some of you can't help but find a sleight against Madonna even when there isn't one.

Oh, and the cover is beautiful. She made it her own. I pretty much find every artist who covers Madonna to pale in comparison to the original, but Tori is an exception. I wish she'd do an album of songs by women the way she did one for men.

And I thought she also covered "Oh Father" once, but I can't find anything about it online now. Maybe I'm wrong?

Tori has praised Madonna's work in countless interviews. We all know Frozen is a Madonna song. She talking about her own personal interpretation of the song, which I think is lovely. Isn't it a good thing that a song she wrote can exist outside of her won celebrity?!?

We'll done Tori!

Yes, Tori has praised Madonna and her music countless times. I love Tori's cover versions as she obviously loves the songs and sings them with the care and feeling they deserve. Tori is a class act and I love it that she covers Madonna and loves her songs.

Guest bluejean

The muscles were frozen. :dead:

I know right :lmao:

So what did she think? If she covered the song she could melt her heart and cure her?

And yes it's a fucking awful rendition. I love this song so much. Some of Madonna's best lyrics.

oh Torn Anus. A for effort. but really i couldnt get through it. shes a type.

She's definitely a "type." :laugh: She talks about her songs as if they're people and she has a relationship to them, so even though she's a kook, it makes sense that she would need to find a connection to someone else's song to sing it. I wonder what her reasons were for LAP and LTT. I still think she did OH, but I could be wrong. Either way, ALL PAT LEONARD SONGS and it's no coincidence. He's the best songwriter M has ever worked with.

Guest bluejean

Torn Anus has slagged Madonna off though hasn't she?

Ironically didn't she say Madonna's career wasn't about the music? Yet here she is repeatedly covering her songs.

Tori has praised Madonna's work in countless interviews. We all know Frozen is a Madonna song. She talking about her own personal interpretation of the song, which I think is lovely. Isn't it a good thing that a song she wrote can exist outside of her won celebrity?!?

We'll done Tori!

:kiss2:

Absolutely true. And it's a very nice cover imho - it's faithful to the original while definitely adding something personal to it. And Tori never "slagged" Madonna off, she simply said - among other things - that Madonna wasn't all about the music, which is plain factual. Madonna never considered herself a musician per sé, in her own words, she's a "performance artist" or an "entertainer". Most of all, I remember Tori's nice comment about how she wishes she could have Madonna for dinner and feed her delicious pastas. And her cover of Live To Tell was quite wonderful too.

Edited by rudra

"For me it always does, and it always will, come back to the music."~Madonna

One of my all time favourite quotes of Madonna. I think Tori has a lot of love and respect for Madonna as well.

Guest bluejean

I think she's a huge fan but has trouble admitting it. Much like Elton and various others.

And to say it's "not about the music" and then go and continually cover her songs. Rather transparent wouldn't you say?