I just watched The Next Best Thing for the first time...

Guest Lum

Guest Pud Whacker

@rugbyguy Madonna used to always get to the theater on opening day. The only other person to do that was Angelina Jolie for Maleficent.

There's Time Stood Still in it, that's enough for me to like the movie :wow:

Yeah Madonna isn't the best actress, we ALL know that. But she can act quite well under the right circumstances (Evita alone is a great example).

You can do a good drinking game if you down a shot or two fingers or whatever every time Madonna has an inexplicably backlit glamour shot in that film. It's a bit like a Striesand film.

It's funny that Madonna chose to follow a career defining comeback film which was a melodrama with a comedy role. It's the same as Gloria Swanson did after Sunset Boulevard. Both flops. Swanson should have done another Sunset Boulevard type film and Madonna should have done another musical. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I literally bought this movie (used) this past Saturday because I saw it at Vintage Stock, and I had never seen it! I didn't think it was all that bad.

This movie is remarkable in that by the end of it you pretty much hate all the characters.

Weak script, by the way. Stiff acting from her side. Great soundtrack.

I went to see this as a teen, twice.

First one was on opening night. It was empty, by the way. And it was bad.

Wanted to give it a second try a few days afterwards, now with lower expectations. Ended receiving the Alanis treatment. Yes, it was even more empty ;)