Better compilation: The Immaculate Collection or Celebration?

madonnasuperfan01

And what about GHv2 (The radio edits.) Anyone prefer that??

:lmao:

Perhaps one of the very few people who prefer C & GHV2 to TIC. For me personally, her later material is so much better than her eighties songs & don't care if they are more popular. Those old songs are so played out & M has moved forward from many of them a long time ago. M plays her old songs because she has to & she often changes them so much that they don't sound like the original.

They should have released a two-disc special edition updated TIC in 2010 and just scrapped Celebration altogether.

DISC 1

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Borderline

4. Like a Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy for You

7. Into the Groove

8. Live to Tell

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. Open Your Heart

11. La Isla Bonita

12. Like a Prayer

13. Express Yourself

14. Cherish

15. Vogue

16. Justify my Love

17. Rescue Me

DISC 2

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

5. Take a Bow

6. You'll See

7. Don't Cry for me Argentina

8. Frozen

9. Ray of Light

10. Power of Goodbye

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. Music

13. Don't Tell Me

14. Die Another Day

15. Hung Up

16. 4 Minutes

17. Celebration

No FAT, no NONSENSE.

They should have released a two-disc special edition updated TIC in 2010 and just scrapped Celebration altogether.

DISC 1

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Borderline

4. Like a Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy for You

7. Into the Groove

8. Live to Tell

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. Open Your Heart

11. La Isla Bonita

12. Like a Prayer

13. Express Yourself

14. Cherish

15. Vogue

16. Justify my Love

17. Rescue Me

DISC 2

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

Human Nature

5. Take a Bow

6. You'll See

8. Frozen

9. Ray of Light

10. Power of Goodbye

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. Music

13. Don't Tell Me

14. Die Another Day

15. Hung Up

16. 4 Minutes

17. Celebration (Benny Benassi version)

No FAT, no NONSENSE.

One day we'll have this, right? It has to happen.

Guest Rocco Papa

You'd think the obvious answer would be Celebration. However, TIC is an experience in and of itself. Even though "Rescue Me" is the only song that's not on Celebration, TIC is a very special listening experience on it's own. I think it has to do with the Shep Pettibone remix edits they used for "Into The Groove," "Like A Prayer" and "Express Yourself." I'd have to go with TIC, because it feels more timeless to me. Songs like "Revolver" and "Miles Away" aren't exactly timeless classics.

TIC was MY first Madonna album, so it will always have a special place in my heart.

TIC was an early example of Madonna looking forward and not doing the obvious- rather than simply put the album or single versions of the hits, she spiced them up a bit. It's certainly not a "remix album," but we do get two remixes (LAP and EY), and furthest from their original versions than any other classic on the album. They maintain the integrity of the originals, though, and same goes for ITG, which has an edited "Now I know you're mine..." section (the one in the original is glorious)- but that doesn't really detract from the overall listen.

The hardcore fans can spot the differences right away for all 15 classics, and say which version is playing if it comes on- the casual fans, probably not.

My other half asks how I can tell if it's the original "Holiday" or TIC one- I then have to play both to get him to notice the difference. :)

TIC does need to be listened to, from start to finish- it is an experience. A CULTURALLY ENRICHING one, of course. :gent:Celebration is chock full of classic tunes, but it's not as impactful a listen, for me.

EDIT: I didn't know that edition for The Royal Box had a disc that looked like that, or the red font of the album title-cool.

DISC 1

1. Holiday

2. Lucky Star

3. Borderline

4. Like a Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy for You

7. Into the Groove

8. Live to Tell

9. Papa Don't Preach

10. Open Your Heart

11. La Isla Bonita

12. Like a Prayer

13. Express Yourself

14. Cherish

15. Vogue

16. Justify my Love

17. Rescue Me

DISC 2

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

5. Take a Bow

6. You'll See

8. Frozen

9. Ray of Light

10. Power of Goodbye

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. Music

13. Don't Tell Me

14. Die Another Day

15. Hung Up

16. 4 Minutes

17. Celebration

No FAT, no NONSENSE.

2014 version:

DISC 2

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. I'll Remember

4. Secret

5. Take a Bow

6. You'll See

7. Don't Cry for me Argentina (miami mix)

8. Frozen

9. Ray of Light

10. Power of Goodbye

11. Beautiful Stranger

12. Music

13. Don't Tell Me

14. Die Another Day

15. Hung Up

16. 4 Minutes

17. GMAYL (this would be a lovely opener)

Less Balladery:

DISC 2

1. Erotica

2. Deeper and Deeper

3. Secret

4. Take a Bow

5. You'll See

6. Don't Cry for me Argentina (miami mix)

7. Frozen

8. Ray of Light

9. Beautiful Stranger

10. Music

11. Don't Tell Me

12. Die Another Day

13. American Life

14. Hung Up

15. Sorry

16. 4 Minutes

17. GMAYL (this would be a lovely opener)

Tough call for me. Actually, I am not fond of either compilation for a variety of reasons. I agree that "The Immaculate Collection" is a classic, but I don't really care for the Q-Sound mixes. I have to admit that in my early days of being a fan that I loved "The Immaculate Collection" -- that is, before I heard the original versions of the songs, which, in my opinion, are all superior in their original album/single versions. The Q-Sound mixes are not bad. I just prefer the originals.

As for "Celebration", an attempt was made to stick more so to the original versions, but those Q-Sound mixes make a number of appearances as well, unfortunately. However, quality control went downhill big time, and it suffers from the atrocious edits and random versions. At least "The Immaculate Collection" was consistent across the board. "Celebration", on the other hand, covers more of her career, so that is a plus, at least to me. So, I suppose if one looks at both compilations in terms of quality control then "The Immaculate Collection" wins.

Yeah, the mastering of Celebration is unforgivable and embarrassing.

TIC is just that, an immaculate collection. :bow:

Except that it should've included Who's That Girl

I agree fully!

I've always been surprised to hear some fans disapproval of the remix treatments of the songs on TIC. To me, hearing those versions of the songs at the time made me feel like it was a whole new album, and save for some glaring omissions, her whole career was adequately represented.

Celebration is, as a wise man once said, a retardation. Quality control flew out the window.

...and there was definite pull towards the 80's vs some of her best songs in the 00's

IC is such a tight compilation album, there is no bullshit. Every song is a bonafide pop classic. It seems like everybody owned this album at one point. If I were trying to introduce M to someone unfamiliar with her work, I would recommend Celebration because it spans her whole career but IC is a better, smoother listen. I'll admit, I'm completely bias toward IC because that album is what officially started my loondom!

Is this thread for real?

TIC is the greatest ever greatest hits collection and is one of this rare greatest hits collections that has achieved studio album-like memorable status. A lot of thought went behind it and the versions of songs are unique to that album.

Celebration...anyone could have put that 'album' together.

Obvs TIC is the shit. Mum listened to it non stop during our family road trips. I always accuse her that she planted the gay seeds in my mind

HOWEVER

JML feels like it doesn't belong. My iTunes version cuts it out and adds WTG or Spotlight after LIB.

Makes me wonder, is there a shep version of WTG?