Why is RIT her worst tour?

Crystal Coffin

I was listening to the RIT live CD on my computer earlier today, and I forgot how amazing both Music & Holiday sounded to end the show. I also forgot that M sings a small part of Intervention on the Mother & Father track. Intervention is one of my all time favorite tracks, but I have heard that some fans don't like it.

Anyway, I agree with whoever said M has no worse tour! :voiceofreason:

• 2 weeks later...

Worst ever. Is that a wedding band?! :lmao:

Outfit was horrible, but that LAP performance was amazing! I loved the MDNA version with all those stunning lights and the huge choir and M's power, but the RIT version was (almost) equally good, very intimate and a beautiful acoustic rendition of the song.

Outfit was horrible, but that LAP performance was amazing! I loved the MDNA version with all those stunning lights and the huge choir and M's power, but the RIT version was (almost) equally good, very intimidate and a beautiful acoustic rendition of the song.

I have it on my iPod. It's beautiful.

This should be fun to discuss...

Compared to the previous avant-garde DWT, it almost looked like a high school play. I can't believe that back then many fans actually preferred RIT just because it has the HITS :gross: The costumes were boring, the musical arrangements were LIMP. Contrary to its name, she didn't bring any reinvention...but she gave us the bland country version of LAP! Into the Hollywood Groove was highly offensive...what the hell was THAT?

And of course the ugly military choreography of EY...she also wasted an opportunity to actually reinvent one of her ballads by covering Imagine...God there are so many wrong things about this tour...it's a relief she came back with the classy CT and continued to amaze us with S&ST and MDNA..RIT to me remains a hugely flawed spot in her career...except for the amazing The Beast Within, Vogue and NKM...Frozen was good too, and maybe Mother and Father (with the nice Intervention interlude) but the rest is best forgotten. It's a no wonder even Madonna herself couldn't care less to release a DVD of its full show.

I always think of RIT as the "you had to be there" kinda concert, i loved when I saw it., i see why people hate it though, not all concerts translate or age well, but when it comes to Madonna concerts what I remember is how i felt when I saw it, so in my opinion this one ranks higher than S&S,

Don't fully understand how RIT continues to receive negative feedback!. I always had the impression that if people attended the show, most people really enjoyed the concert, and it felt special because M was promoting one of her most unique and best albums.

I know when looking at the show on you tube, people see M wearing a white t-shirt, long skirt, and boots, but who cares when she and her dances are getting down to the amazing versions of Music and Holiday.

You people are insane! RIT is greatness beyond epic proportion!

Segments 1-3, 5 were amazing. The latter probably being Madonna's BEST closing segment. And I liked the simplicity of the costumes, I was looked at this tour as Madonna's "test run" for tours that would follow after.

I mean, what other perform of "Vogue" matched up to RIT's version.

Edited by your-madgesty

Not her best, but I had great seats on the floor near the stage, so I had a great time. It's hard to assess without having it on video to reference, but I definitely don't think it's her worst. I remember after CT people saying RIT was still her greatest and I was shocked since I prefer both CT and DWT. But S&S is lower on the list for me. And definitely WTG and possibly the Virgin Tour. It's hard to compare those early tours to the new ones though. Entirely different ball of wax.

Oh, and I think there was much more to like/love than just the first segment:

American Life (I really enjoy this - she was obviously over her fear)

Lament

Mother and Father

Music

Holiday (this was truly a great ending)

That LAP performance was amazing! I loved the MDNA version with all those stunning lights and the huge choir and M's power, but the RIT version was (almost) equally good, very intimate and a beautiful acoustic rendition of the song.

This

• 2 weeks later...

I think RIT, in hindsight, was just not a 'story' type of show that we were used to seeing before (and after).

the parts that worked live were amazing, the parts that didn't were just dull.

It was fun to see and hear these again in concert, especially after DWT... but because of DWT (which is still alongside BAT and MDNA)

i couldn't help but feel a little confused by the setlist because it was a GH setlist.

I loved the American Life album, and still do. But this wasn't the 'story' I had in mind.

Great vocals (esp Deeper and Deeper) and great delivery, but as with the DWT haters, the setlist is everything, and RIT just didn't work for me.

Guest SecretGarden

It's a tour where she pandered a lot to what the fans and public wanted, to me it should have been an extension of the wonderful DWT but instead it was almost the complete opposite. It's still a fun show with some great moments - but each performance, while interesting, failed to live up to its potential.

It's why I admire tours like DWT, GS and MDNA; she rarely pandered to the masses and did her own thing, if on her next tour she chooses to perform Candy Shop and Human Nature yet again, I'm all for it - as long as it's her artistic vision

I feel she had to pander to her audience to a certain extent for RIT. Her career at that point was in trouble and this tour was widely regarded as a career retrenchment tour and it delivered on that premise very successfully. That tour really pulled her career out of the doldrums and she was back on form and back in the public's good books after it. Everything was back on track after that particular tour, much like GS in 1993. We then got the stunning Live Earth appearance which further strengthened her legacy and won her much respect. That then gave way to the fabulous Confessions era where she rose to the top once again and finished off that period with the incredible and flawless CT. RIT established her as a major touring force and reminded people of what an amazing performer she was. It also featured her strongest vocals to date and we also got a live Vogue complete with a corset, something many of us thought we would never see again. I remember being absolutely floored when I opened our local paper in Perth, Australia to see an absolutely stunning full colour picture of M in her Vogue corset on opening night. I also loved the big production of American Life and the V catwalk. It was a far from perfect show but did it's job in bringing Madonna back into the public's consciousness.