A long, long time ago...

Iconic Fetus

What do the references have to do with anything? It's not going to make people appreciate the song just from that. I agree with what Horn said. I can appreciate and understand it's importance and legacy in the world of music, but I really just don't care for the don mclean song.

the same kinda goes with imagine, however, I don't give a rats ass about M's version.

In my opinion, "long and boring" is an arbitrary statement.

Interesting...

What Don McLean said about Madonna... (a fine man and true gentleman)..

"Madonna is a colossus in the music industry and she is going to be considered an important historical figure as well. She is a fine singer, a fine songwriter and record producer, and she has the power to guarantee success with any song she chooses to record. It is a gift for her to have recorded 'American Pie.' I have heard her version and I think it is sensual and mystical. I also feel that she's chosen autobiographical verses that reflect her career and personal history. I hope it will cause people to ask what's happening to music in America. I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess."

Interesting...

What Don McLean said about Madonna... (a fine man and true gentleman)..

"Madonna is a colossus in the music industry and she is going to be considered an important historical figure as well. She is a fine singer, a fine songwriter and record producer, and she has the power to guarantee success with any song she chooses to record. It is a gift for her to have recorded 'American Pie.' I have heard her version and I think it is sensual and mystical. I also feel that she's chosen autobiographical verses that reflect her career and personal history. I hope it will cause people to ask what's happening to music in America. I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess."

Love this!

That's very sweet of Don McLean :) i can just imagine if she decided to cover KISS or Rolling Stones, you would have Gene and Mick calling her a two bit whore. I give the song 6.5/10, film clip 8/10 ( very spot on) my only dissointment is the fact that that dick head Rupert had anything to do with it!

That's very sweet of Don McLean :) i can just imagine if she decided to cover KISS or Rolling Stones, you would have Gene and Mick calling her a two bit whore. I give the song 6.5/10, film clip 8/10 ( very spot on) my only dissointment is the fact that that dick head Rupert had anything to do with it!

I'm not sure Mick Jagger would say that of Madonna. Maybe I missed something, but I had thought Mick actually liked Madonna. Though, I know Gene has had said non-favorable things about Madonna in more recent years. I believe he got bent out of shape when she got inducted in the R&R HALL OF FAME

Why is this NOT one of her more celebrated covers? I LOVE everything about it; her voice, the video, her bra-less-ness! :wow: My favorite part is when she says "this'll be the day that I dieeeee..." -I prefer it to the original.It's so cute, and light, and lovely, and gorgeous.

American Pie & Beautiful Stranger are the HIGHLIGHTS of the late-90's era if ya ask me.

Guest bluejean

Well I was a fan of the original growing up, my parents introduced me to it and its a classic. We used to play it at home when i was a kid. I was shocked to hear she was covering it. There's something cringe about it. I mean the blokey lyrics, the cheesy production. Orbit did not want to do this song, he said it was one of those ideas he hoped would go away. And Madonna has since forgotten about it. But I can understand why people like it especially if the original meant nothing to them.

Guest bluejean

Anyone that puts this in the same league as Beautiful Stranger has to go!

Very true. Beautiful Stranger was ice cool and Music was super hot. American Pie really killed Madonna's cool factor inbetween.

I love Madonna's version and the original. I think Madonna's vocals are beautiful and heart-felt and if you are going to cover a classic, you have to have a completely different take and style to the original.

I suppose people have different reactions to cover versions as well. This is sort of similar to the reaction of MacArthur Park. The original was a long cryptic song with the most bizarre words of all time. Strangely enough I love them even though I don't understand them. Leaving the cake out in the rain and never having the recipe again ! Donna Summer's disco version was incredible as well and her vocals were amazing. I always seem to love Madonna's cover versions - I love I want you, Fever, Love don't live here anymore for example. I also think Like an angel passing through my room was incredible as hardly anyone else I could think of could do a version of an ABBA song that I actually think I prefer to the original.

i became a fan around this time and i remember the song being #1 on mtv and others..

a bad cover is kelly's take of papa don't preach.

don always said he loved the cover too, saying whenever he gets interviewed they want him to say he hates it, but he just can't.

her between the bars cover is good. not liked much by most elliott fans and pseudo hipsters but loved by everyone else. for a cover, that's a good thing.

Guest bluejean

Well it's true that doing covers is risky because fans of the original 9 times out of 10 prefer the original. I think her version of 'I Want You' is amazing. And 'Fever' is fantastic as well. I am sure there are people out there that think her version sounds like one of those cheap shitty dance covers. I always felt she made it her own. Each to their own.

I love Madonna's version and the original. I think Madonna's vocals are beautiful and heart-felt and if you are going to cover a classic, you have to have a completely different take and style to the original.

I suppose people have different reactions to cover versions as well. This is sort of similar to the reaction of MacArthur Park. The original was a long cryptic song with the most bizarre words of all time. Strangely enough I love them even though I don't understand them. Leaving the cake out in the rain and never having the recipe again ! Donna Summer's disco version was incredible as well and her vocals were amazing. I always seem to love Madonna's cover versions - I love I want you, Fever, Love don't live here anymore for example. I also think Like an angel passing through my room was incredible as hardly anyone else I could think of could do a version of an ABBA song that I actually think I prefer to the original.

The writer of MacArthur Park wrote the song about his relationship and it's eventual demise (the cake represents the relationship) they use to spend time at a park with that name. I love the disco version and finally heard the original and it's pretty cool, check it out.

Guest bluejean

The writer of MacArthur Park wrote the song about his relationship and it's eventual demise (the cake represents the relationship) they use to spend time at a park with that name. I love the disco version and finally heard the original and it's pretty cool, check it out.

Yes. It does sound silly though. But sometimes it's silly lyrics like that that make a song so memorable.

Thanks for that. Really interesting to know. I knew Jimmy Webb wrote MacArthur Park and he is an incredible songwriter. Just never knew what the song represented. I am a huge Donna Summer fan and have all of her versions of MacArthur Park. Just love it.

I liked it when it was out, but since then, it hasn't held up as well as some of her other singles. I actually like the original, so that could play a part in it.

As the songwriter, McLean was bound to receive some big royalties, so of course he appreciated M's cover. :)

The video showed different slices of American life- undoubtedly an inspiration for Chris Aguilero's "Beautiful' video.

Guest bluejean

If he had said he hated her version he still would have recieved the royalties. He had no reason to lie. I suspect he actually really likes Madonna.

Guest bluejean

Well at the time, he was also really happy about the film American Pie being titled "American Pie." :1251:

:lol:

I wonder if Madonna felt the same about that Material Girls movie with Hilary Duff