"Madonna" 30th Anniversary Thread: July 27 Is the Day

lasky

Guest groovyguy

Madonna's self-titled debut, 30 years later

Posted by Chris Gerard

July 30, 2013 2:01 PM

Thirty years ago this week an album was released that would end up changing the course of pop music forever. It would have been impossible to imagine it at the time, but it’s undeniably true. Madonna’s self-titled debut, released July 27, 1983, launched an unparalleled career that is still going strong 3 decades later. Madonna, apart perhaps from Michael Jackson, is the dominant popular music icon of this generation, and it all started with a rather cunning collection of 8 dance/pop songs that still sound as fantastic now as they did upon their release.

“Everybody” was Madonna’s debut single. Released in October, 1982, the dance/pop anthem didn’t make a huge impact commercially but momentum was slowly building. Follow-up single, “Burning Up,” was a more new-wave influenced dance track, and it continued the building buzz for Madonna as it bounced up the Dance Charts, eventually reaching #3. Crossover success on the pop charts was still elusive, until 3rd single “Holiday”. It hit the dance charts first, then began a climb up the pop charts, eventually peaking at #16 while hitting #1 on the dance charts. “Holiday” was Madonna’s big breakthrough and remains one of her most instantly recognizable pop anthems. She then followed with 2 Top 10 smashes – “Lucky Star” and “Borderline” – that both received heavy MTV airplay. Madonna’s reign was just beginning. Only months after the release of “Borderline,” she was writhing on the floor at the MTV Awards in a wedding dress and the title track and first single from her 2nd album, “Like a Virgin,” was beginning a chart ascent that would lead to her first #1 pop hit.

Her self-titled debut eventually saw 5 of its 8 tracks released as singles (you could even say 6 as “Physical Attraction” was released as a single in some countries and charted on the US dance charts). The album was initially produced by Reggie Lucas but was largely remixed by Jellybean Benitez, one of the top pop/dance producers of the 80s, prior to its release. The album is a tight mix of pop songs with catchy synth riffs, strong hooks, and Madonna’s appealing personality and voice tying it together in a fun package. She was never the world’s best singer, but she didn’t have to be. Her voice suited these songs perfectly, and the hooks were strong enough that she didn’t have to oversing or really sell it with her voice. Some critics have been dismissive of Madonna’s voice over the years, but listening back to her debut recorded 30 years ago – in a pre Auto Tune world – there’s no question that she could, in fact, deliver a vocal with confidence and charm.

“Madonna” was the album that started it all, and her star would only rise from there. Yeah, a couple of the non-single album tracks are rather forgettable, but the album still stands up today as a fun collection of R&B and dance inflected pop songs that were catchy, funky, and danceable. Thirty years later, it stands the test of time as a classic early 80s pop album.

There will NEVER be another singer who is as good as Madonna. It's a typical 'stan' thing to say, but Madonna is a once-ever character and she better never be forgotten.

Someone had posted the Reggie Lucas interview (which was posted in this thread), and that thread was not really about that anyhow- so I moved it and am emphasizing that that info is in this thread, where it should be.

Long live Her Madgesty, the Queen, and 30 years of greatness.

Is it just me or Reggie quite ridiculous about the R&B producer thing? I always felt Madonna came

across rather proud when she referred 2 her debut & it's RnB roots. :confused:

Now as far as her not liking the album, which she claimed around the release of LAV, that's

something most artists feel who don't have complete creative control in their early days.

& truth b told circa 1984 stuff like Physical Attraction & Think of Me, could have easily b viewed as

too late 7o's :chuckle: The girls just wanted 2 move on...get over it dude.

I think he's making it sound as if she owes all the credit for her first record to him

Which couldn't be more false

Simply because he's pissed she bypassed him a year later with LAV

Madonna was quoted calling this her "aerobics album." Way harsh, M. It's an album of mostly good songs (IMO only "Borderline" and "Burning Up" are true M classics here; always thought the studio version of "Holiday" was rather overrated) made great by Madonna's drive and yearning. Her voice wasn't technically great, but she sounded so ALIVE and PASSIONATE, nonetheless. She would have better albums from a musical and technical aspect, but she would never sound so hungry and restless again.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/the-vicious-competition-for-credit-over-launching-madonnas-career/277974/

Reggie is very complimentary about Madonna for the most part, although it's clear that he's bitter that Madonna hasn't sung his praises over the years. It's also clear that he fully expected to be asked back for her sophomore album and he's still miffed by the "snub" 29 years later. None of this detracts from the fact that together, Madonna and Reggie Lucas created something special.

Did Reggie ever work on an album as big as "Madonna" again....?

:thumbsup:

It's not surprising that Reggie might be miffed at not getting a second chance to work with her again. He obviously spotted her potential and drive. It must have been Warners decision though. And after LAV she was content to go it with Pat and Steve. She didn't need a decision-making producer anymore.

He should be content with the fact that no one discusses the second album. For critics and journalists and fans the first album is where it's at.

I love very early Madonna, and I remember as a kid all her songs off the first album that were regularly played on the radio. I still can't believe that holiday never was a top ten single in the US, and burning up never made the top 100 single chart. Just by coincidence-- I heard burning up on the radio twice last week(and I rarely listen to the radio!).