Gay Couple From Malawi Madonna Spoke Out For Have Been Released!

moe

All over the world news!

Malawi President pardons jailed gay couple

Malawi President Bingu wa Mutharika on Saturday announced the pardon of a jailed gay couple who were sentenced to 14 years for holding the country’s first same-sex wedding.

The President made the decision after discussions with visiting UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon.

Mutharika who is also chairman of African Union has since ordered the immediate release of the gay couple.

“I have decided that with effect from today, they are pardoned and they will be released,” President Mutharika told a battery of reporters after meeting UN boss.

Steven Monjeza, 26, and Tiwonge Chimbalanga, 20, were given 14-year jail terms after being convicted of gross indecency and unnatural acts.

They were told by Magistrate Nyakwawa Usiwa Usiwa they would also serve hard labour as a warning to other gay people in the country.

“These boys committed a crime against our culture, our religion and our laws,” said the Malawi President.

“However, as the head of state I hereby pardon them and therefore ask for their immediate release with no conditions.”

He added: “I have done this on humanitarian grounds but this does not mean that I support this.”

The case has sparked international condemnation and a debate about homosexuality in the country

Guest nothingfails0603

“These boys committed a crime against our culture, our religion and our laws,” said the Malawi President.

This is why politics and reason aren't supposed to mix. Of course the fucking Republican Christians here don't understand the separation of church and state and why it's there.

This is why politics and reason aren't supposed to mix. Of course the fucking Republican Christians here don't understand the separation of church and state and why it's there.

Well, if some sources are to be believed, THEY are partly to blame for the fervent homophobia currently running rife in parts of Africa. Yes, love thy neighbour and all that, CUNTS.

Anyway, that's great news about their release, hope they'll be safe.

It's awesome that they set this couple free, but the power of Madonna had zero to do with it.

I actually have to agree with you on this one. Unless Madonna did tons of shit behind the scenes that we know nothing about.

Unless Madonna did tons of shit behind the scenes that we know nothing about.

Of course she did; and of course this has a lot more to do with Madonna than you think. Malawi is a tiny, poor country, into which Madonna has been pumping a lot of money (Kabbalah or not - that's besides the point). Why else do you think the Mercy adoption decision was also revoked in her favour? At the end of the day, money talks - and strings are pulled. And this is exactly what she has obviously done in this situation too. AND GOOD FOR HER.

I actually have to agree with you on this one. Unless Madonna did tons of shit behind the scenes that we know nothing about.

I'm sure they heard about her signature campaign, but I highly doubt that it had any significant influence on this decision. I also don't think she pulled any strings behind the scenes either, and I don't fault her for that, since it wasn't her responsibility to free them.

Any loon who thinks she singlehandedly deserves credit for their release is just operating in a different sphere of reality. :wacko:

It's awesome that they set this couple free, but the power of Madonna had zero to do with it.

I dunno if I would say ZERO, but I am sure most people in here are overestimating her power in this country. I am sure her voice - lent to the chorus of the others - was part of the greater effect. I would think the President of Malawi would be more concerned with Obama's administration coming out against the jailing, than Madonna's statement. There was also talk of UN representatives meeting with the Malawi government telling them that many Western nations would bar humanitarian aid to a government which practices such blatant discrimination. So I am more apt to believe he was scared of having the money pipeline turned off.

Malawi frees jailed gay

A gay couple sentenced to serve 14 years in jail in Malawi have been pardoned and released after their country's president met the UN secretary general, Ban Ki-moon.

Steven Monjeza, 26, and Tiwonge Chimbalanga, 20, were tried and found guilty of sodomy and indecency earlier this month in a move that sparked international condemnation.

But after talking with Ban today, Malawi's president, Bingu wa Mutharika, announced the pair would be freed.

"These boys committed a crime against our culture, our religion and our laws," he said after the meeting, at the southern African country's State House. "However, as the head of state, I hereby pardon them and therefore ask for their immediate release with no conditions.

"I have done this on humanitarian grounds, but this does not mean that I support this."

Ban, who is due to address Malawi's national assembly later, is expected to ask legislators to change the nation's laws on homosexuality.

Monjeza and Chimbalanga were arrested two days after they made a public commitment to marriage in a symbolic ceremony at the hotel where Chimbalanga worked as a janitor in late December. They were the first same-sex couple in Malawi to seek marriage.

Passing sentence on them on 20 May, the magistrate Nyakwawa Usiwa Usiwa said: "I will give you a ... sentence so that the public [will] be protected from people like you, so that we are not tempted to emulate this horrendous example."

The pair were then separated. Sent to prisons more than 40 miles apart, they had little hope of maintaining contact.

High-profile figures who spoke out in support of them include the singer Elton John, the British campaigner Peter Tatchell, of the gay and lesbian human rights group OutRage, and the pop star Madonna, who adopted a child from Malawi. Amnesty International also called the sentences an "outrage".

In South Africa, the new human rights organisation Section27 called on the president, Jacob Zuma, to apply pressure on Malawi through the Southern African Development Community.

Guest Pud Whacker

Of course she did; and of course this has a lot more to do with Madonna than you think. Malawi is a tiny, poor country, into which Madonna has been pumping a lot of money (Kabbalah or not - that's besides the point). Why else do you think the Mercy adoption decision was also revoked in her favour? At the end of the day, money talks - and strings are pulled. And this is exactly what she has obviously done in this situation too. AND GOOD FOR HER.

:thumbsup:

Guest chatty kathy

I agree. She hasn't dropped millions into this country and is being ignored.

Her foundation has done more for that country than any other that has even been willing to help.

She should just buy it and make herself the Queen.

LOL W/ Princess Lourdes, Prince Rocco, Prince David, and Princess Mercy of Malawi.

the Princesses, and Princes of Malawi.

It is the influence of the Madonna.

I agree. She hasn't dropped millions into this country and is being ignored.

Her foundation has done more for that country than any other that has even been willing to help.

She should just buy it and make herself the Queen.

LOL W/ Princess Lourdes, Prince Rocco, Prince David, and Princess Mercy of Malawi.

the Princesses, and Princes of Malawi.

It is the influence of the Madonna.

Oh my God, can you imagine? How AMAZING would that be? :wow:

:lmao: < at those who think this had ANYTHING to do with Madonna.

Malawi is highly dependent on foreign aid, and there was much international pressure from creditor nations for the president to pardon their release. The fact that Ban Ki-moon the UN secretary general made the visit for the press conference of the announced release says it all. The president also made it clear that he was still adamant that homosexuals are wrong, so it wasn't like he had some epiphany.

Get a clue.