M.I.A.: "I will fight the fight for Madonna" (NYT Article)

Nixed

Excerpt of the Madonna mention:

Iovine may have instinctively realized that in fusing style, music and controversy, Maya evoked Madonna. While Madonna has always been more interested in writing melodious, catchy pop songs and less interested in niche hipster credibility than Maya, they share a gift for grand self-invention. Like Madonna, Maya is not a trained musician but instead a brilliant editor, able to pick and choose and bend the talents of others to fit her goals. They share an enormous appetite and a discerning eye for the intertwined worlds of fashion, art and music. “Madonna is the one,” Maya said. “Madonna did amazing songs. She had an amazing sense of style, without a stylist. And she was flawed, and sometimes she admitted it. I’ll fight the fight for Madonna. I think she should send me some chocolates or something to thank me.

I love M.I.A. the same way I love Madonna. She has some sort of early M in her style, and IT WORKS. I think this is because M.I.A. genuinely has something to say. Her life has been an amazing, crazy, political one. But of course she is not as mainstream as she should be for many reasons in my opinion which I will keep out of forums.

And when I hear M.I.A.'s songs, I believe her in this Madonna quote.

Edited by stumble upon

The Gaga mention. Apparently she gets annoyed when Gaga is being compared to Madonna.

Maya feels that Gaga is not original, that she mostly borrows from the Abba playbook, and she gets annoyed when Gaga is compared to Madonna. “You can’t really say that Gaga is culturally a change,” Maya said. “Madonna was truly unique.” Gavras nodded. “And Madonna was pretty,” he said. “Pop stars should be pretty.” Maya flipped open her computer. “Do you want to see this amazing parody of ‘Telephone’?” she asked. “It’s brilliant!” Gavras stood behind Maya and watched. “This parody has three million hits,” Maya said. “That’s way more than I’ve ever had.”

Good to hear a decent artist say good things about Madonna for a change. Not some reject ugly mess with a beak for a nose.

Maybe thats the way you function but not me. Sry.

Well, it's clearly a massive compliment. She is saying that Madonna is THE ONE, and she is right.

The Gaga mention. Apparently she gets annoyed when Gaga is being compared to Madonna.

Maya feels that Gaga is not original, that she mostly borrows from the Abba playbook, and she gets annoyed when Gaga is compared to Madonna. “You can’t really say that Gaga is culturally a change,” Maya said. “Madonna was truly unique.” Gavras nodded. “And Madonna was pretty,” he said. “Pop stars should be pretty.” Maya flipped open her computer. “Do you want to see this amazing parody of ‘Telephone’?” she asked. “It’s brilliant!” Gavras stood behind Maya and watched. “This parody has three million hits,” Maya said. “That’s way more than I’ve ever had.”

:clap:

What I always said Madonna is beautifull

the other thing is well, a monster. (No Pun Intended)!

did Madonna pass away?

It may seem funny to some but it's quite sad that the past tense is increasingly being used when referring to her by the media. This is the first time in her career this has happened; and of course it's partly her age but more importantly it's because she hasn't really done anything of major significance to contribute to the pop culture landscape over the past few years.

Sad but true.

But anyway I'm sure she'll be back.

For me it would be a dream come true if Madonna works with M.I.A. and her producers...

combining Madonna's sense of style and M.I.A.'s.... it would be GREAT.

And about the "past tense"... if Madonna ends up working with Guetta's & Co then that "past tense" will be used even more.