Liz Smith: Is Gaga really the 'new Madonna'?

Camacho

I don't really comment about Gaga anywhere but I have to ask:

1. Why is it automatically assumed that she is going to have a MEGA SUCCESSFUL career ala Madonna?

I'm a big fan of Lady Ga Ga. And I can't speak for others, but I base Lady Ga Ga's success on the huge phenomenon she's become so far. It has nothing to do with Madonna, yet I can see some comparisons. But as I stated in many topics about Lady Ga Ga and Madonna, I think the two are two different and distinguishable entertainers.

2. Why do the Gaga fans get so defensive if someone implies she may NOT be the "next Madonna" in the sense that she's going to have a 30+ year career?

The whole term "Next Madonna" is absurd to me. Lady Ga Ga or no one will become the "next Madonna". However, let's reverse the question because I see this more happening than the way you proposes the question... Why do some Madonna fans get so defensive if someone implies she MAY become the "next Madonna"? Not that I think she's the next Madonna, but it seems the bulk of the animosity are those who are quite defensive because someone dares to compare Ga Ga or mentions she may be the "next Madonna".

3. Why do people act surprised that some Madonna fans get a little irritated that others treat Gaga as if she is equal to or in some cases surpasses Madonna (yes I have read that here before)?

I can't speak for others, but I feel since I am a Lady Ga Ga fan and Madonna fan, you're putting all fans like me in the same category. Again, I don't see Ga Ga as an equal to Madonna. Yet, I can see some good comparisons to the two, and I am just incline to give Ga Ga the benefit of the doubt (just like I did Madonna) in becoming just as successful. I have no reason to think the worst. I simply wish Lady Ga Ga the best. If she makes it 20 years... great!! If she doesn't, then she doesn't. And no one really can predict because just like when Madonna started, there were a lot of people who didn't think she would last, but look at Madonna now.

Some of the Gaga fans have almost an arrogance when it comes to her. That's fine with a veteran artist....I guess....I can even understand it with Mariah. But with some drugged up (yet creative) chick who hasn't even been out 2 years? Come on now....

This is simply your opinion. I think she is "creative", but I am willing to understand that she isn't everyone's cup of tea. The problem is those who are so determined to just bash Lady Ga Ga in every thread she is brought up and purposely insight animosity with other fans. There is no "arrogance" on my part when it comes to being a fan. I just simply share my opinion of her and look at the positive side of it all. And you'll see that you won't find one post/thread where I go in and talk shit about entertainers or anyone. Why? Because I don't waste my time on things I don't appreciate or dislike. I know that paying any attention to things that one doesn't like, is quite unstable and odd. It's one thing to share a one off or two not so fair of an opinion of someone or something, but some keep coming back to these threads, screaming... "I'm sick of Lady Ga Ga or these threads" and usually far worst things are said. Ummm, sorry, but these threads are clearly labeled. If you don't want to talk or read about Lady Ga Ga, why are you in the thread in the first place??? Just because you may see multiple threads about her, doesn't mean you must comment in them. After all, I see multiple other threads I don't necessarily find any amusement or interest in, and you don't see me going in them, making snide remarks about the subject or members who do find interest or appreciation in it??

Let the girl prove herself THEN get all arrogant and cocky about it.

I agree in letting her prove herself and so far she's on the right path of doing so. But of course, I recognize that is my opinion. But of course, there was a strong opinion over 25 years ago, Madonna wouldn't last. But even then, I didn't let that ruin my fun in appreciating Madonna the way I still now!

^ I think most of the criticism is aimed at her fans that are irrational. I think it's great that Madonna is the one to beat ("the next Madonna"). Those who think Madonna has to do anything in order to compete are crazy, though.

^ I think most of the criticism is aimed at her fans that are irrational. I think it's great that Madonna is the one to beat ("the next Madonna"). Those who think Madonna has to do anything in order to compete are crazy, though.

Well, I don't know anything about her fans other than the ones who frequent here. I do know some big fans on Facebook too. I don't look at those people as "irrational". Though, I don't consider anyone irrational for being a huge fan of someone. I realize some fans (even Madonna fans) get quite defensive about their favorite artist.

I'm just glad I just enjoy them both. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here discussing it. I don't waste my time on things I don't like. I rather focus that time on things and people I do enjoy.

Guest jamesshot

As Supernatural said, it is uber flattering for someone talented and successful to be considered the "next Madonna". She is the ultimate goal isn't she?

I think some of the irriation is from Gaga fans who have completely gone off the rails in their love of her, have ditched Madonna essentially and proclaim Gaga the "be all, end all". That is certainly their right and I am not questioning their taste but it is OK for some Madonna fans to get irritated when we hear it all the time but don't agree.

Also, we have heard the "next Madonna" thing soooooooooooooooooooooooo many times can you blame us for doing a bit of an eye roll and sigh? LOL.

As Supernatural said, it is uber flattering for someone talented and successful to be considered the "next Madonna". She is the ultimate goal isn't she?

I think some of the irriation is from Gaga fans who have completely gone off the rails in their love of her, have ditched Madonna essentially and proclaim Gaga the "be all, end all". That is certainly their right and I am not questioning their taste but it is OK for some Madonna fans to get irritated when we hear it all the time but don't agree.

Also, we have heard the "next Madonna" thing soooooooooooooooooooooooo many times can you blame us for doing a bit of an eye roll and sigh? LOL.

But is that really going on at these forums? I see a group of fans defending both Lady Ga Ga and Madonna and then another group who are always going out of there way to bash Lady Ga Ga. Sure, there are a few who pop in just to slag off Madonna with their Lady Ga Ga spiel, but most fans here who speak highly of Lady Ga Ga, speak even more highly of Madonna.

Again, if people are sick of Lady Ga Ga threads, stop popping in them, reading them and responding to them. No one is forcing you to participate in any. To come in and say... "I'm sick of these threads about..." or bashing her, only just perpetuates the animosity even more.

I totally agree with the first summary you made of what Supernatural said. It is quite flattering for someone to be considered to be the "next Madonna". The idea of that being brought proves they are on the right path.

Guest jamesshot

But is that really going on at these forums? I see a group of fans defending both Lady Ga Ga and Madonna and then another group who are always going out of there way to bash Lady Ga Ga. Sure, there are a few who pop in just to slag off Madonna with their Lady Ga Ga spiel, but most fans here who speak highly of Lady Ga Ga, speak even more highly of Madonna.

Again, if people are sick of Lady Ga Ga threads, stop popping in them, reading them and responding to them. No one is forcing you to participate in any. To come in and say... "I'm sick of these threads about..." or bashing her, only just perpetuates the animosity even more.

I totally agree with the first summary you made of what Supernatural said. It is quite flattering for someone to be considered to be the "next Madonna". The idea of that being brought proves they are on the right path.

I plead ignorance because I don't often visit the Lady Gaga thread in the pop princess forum. I can only speak generally of what I suspect is going on. I guess I am missing some good drama from the sound of it.

I like Lady Gaga. I would rather her be the big female of the moment than Beyonce', Kei$ha and the like.

I have always thought it was the ultimate in respect for anyone to be considered the "next Madonna". It always irritated me when it was some no talent like Brit-Brit or Paula. I only get mildly annoyed when people are very insistent about it because I have heard the same argument made about almost every female phenomenon. Still, I always understand it really is the ultimate compliment to Madonna because it reinforces the notion she is the ultimate female success story.

I plead ignorance because I don't often visit the Lady Gaga thread in the pop princess forum. I can only speak generally of what I suspect is going on. I guess I am missing some good drama from the sound of it.

I like Lady Gaga. I would rather her be the big female of the moment than Beyonce', Kei$ha and the like.

I have always thought it was the ultimate in respect for anyone to be considered the "next Madonna". It always irritated me when it was some no talent like Brit-Brit or Paula. I only get mildly annoyed when people are very insistent about it because I have heard the same argument made about almost every female phenomenon. Still, I always understand it really is the ultimate compliment to Madonna because it reinforces the notion she is the ultimate female success story.

I agree with much of what you post here. Though, I followed Paula and I don't recall her being always compared to Madonna. And I never thought Paula was ever on the same level as Madonna, but enjoyed her first few records. In fact, I thought her single with Randy Jackson a couple years ago was decent. Not even close to being a classic, but it was fun at the time, like most of her music.

As for Britney... I know she gets a lot of shit thrown at her by fans. Though, she's still doing her thing and other than losing the plot a few years ago, she managed to bounce back from it. Is she comparable to Madonna? Again, like Lady Ga Ga, there are certain things that remind me of Madonna. No doubt, it was the help of Madonna that paved the way for her own act. I've liked a number of Britney songs. I have no reason to slate her. Though, she obviously doesn't have the same stamina as Madonna. Her break-down is proof of that, even though I suspect that may have been curbed a bit more if her manager wasn't feeding her drugs and misleading her. In the end, she is still in charge and unlike Madonna she's proven to to break under pressure. This is not what I see of Lady Ga Ga yet. I also see how she is quite (if not even more) dramatic as Madonna. She loves to put on a show. And she definitely has talent because she does write many of her own songs, plays instruments and sings quite well.

but most fans here who speak highly of Lady Ga Ga, speak even more highly of Madonna.

really? most of the fans( not all) that speak highly of gaga have no problems slicing madonnas throat every chance they get wheither it be about her cheeks, rumored people she's going to be working with, her voice, her tours,jesus, her not promoting her stuff 24/7 as they feel she should, her videos, her religion, her work in malawi. the list goes on and on.these same people would NEVER say one unkind thing about joanne though and yet when someone says something about joanne they dont like they go and bash that person on a personal level. i also find it quite disturbing that these same people who complain and cry foul about poor ol' joanne getting bashed here are usually the first ones to run to the xtina/keisha/(insert another name here) thread and bash that person.

Guest Therealalejandro

I don't understand what makes Joanne more talented than Britney or Paula Abdul. I really don't think that's true. She is just more arrogant and full of misplaced snobbery. They all suck, but two of them could dance but couldn't sing, and one of them can't dance and sort of sings/screeches with more technical ability...In all cases, they did or still do too much of the thing they aren't good at.

Oh, and they are all ugly, but one of them is just too much for words. A walking horror movie.

Edited by Therealalejandro

Guest jamesshot

really? most of the fans( not all) that speak highly of gaga have no problems slicing madonnas throat every chance they get wheither it be about her cheeks, rumored people she's going to be working with, her voice, her tours,jesus, her not promoting her stuff 24/7 as they feel she should, her videos, her religion, her work in malawi. the list goes on and on.these same people would NEVER say one unkind thing about joanne though and yet when someone says something about joanne they dont like they go and bash that person on a personal level. i also find it quite disturbing that these same people who complain and cry foul about poor ol' joanne getting bashed here are usually the first ones to run to the xtina/keisha/(insert another name here) thread and bash that person.

Oh yeah a lot of that is true. So many Madonna "fans" bash her especially when their female flavor of the month is slighted in any way. It is amazing to see some true colors come out. I have seen Madonna "fans" say some really negative shit about her to the point I wonder why they even come to a forum dedicated to her if they feel so negatively about her or her talent. They are always the first to call anyone who is very positive about Madonna a loon.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

You are both utterly clueless. You have no idea who you are communicating with, which only reinforces the irrelevance of your inflationary assessments of Joanne. This is a Madonna thread...The prevalent notion is that Madonna deserves a little more context, and more importantly, her legacy demands respect. Neither of you seems capable of either. Instead you sidetrack and attack and dismiss individuals for doing what ultimately makes sense on a forum dedicated to Madonna: To defend her in the face of troll worship seems perfectly legitimate here. If it were anywhere else I would admit the shortcomings you imply, but it really has no bearing here. I think that is fundamentally what seems to fuel these attacks and disagreements. It's simply misplaced. I respect that you might truly enjoy Joanne, but you also certainly seem uninterested in Madonna other than to fuel your passion for this ugly fabrication Gaga and so i simply wonder why you don't just take your incendiary comments to a place where there are other admirers of her identity theft and marketing travesty.

crazy-peeps.jpg

I'd say lets wait a while. Of course there will be no new Madonna as she is a unique individual that only happens once in a lifetime. in the past there had been so many new Madonna . From Britney to Xtina to even calling Rihannah the black Madonna. But where the fuck are they now, They didn't exactly follow The Queens path so Lets not proclaim as early as now someone who hasn't proven that they got the spunk and mettle of Madonna. I also think that Joanne is not that bright, smart and as witty as Madonna which is basically what made Madonna among other things who she is.Ten years or twenty years down the line if Gaga is still there then maybe just maybe she is the next Madonna. And for crying out loud the sophomore album is nowhere in sight yet. PEACE

Oh god, more of this baloney?

Gaga will never be the next anything. She's just Lady Gaga for better or worse. What can she do that Madonna hasn't already done? Nothing. She will always live in Madonna's shadow like the obnoxious clown she is. End of story.

Oh yeah a lot of that is true. So many Madonna "fans" bash her especially when their female flavor of the month is slighted in any way. It is amazing to see some true colors come out. I have seen Madonna "fans" say some really negative shit about her to the point I wonder why they even come to a forum dedicated to her if they feel so negatively about her or her talent. They are always the first to call anyone who is very positive about Madonna a loon.

Well, I can't disagree with that since I'm one of those who speak positively of Madonna and have been known to get labeled a "loon", etc. In any event, I don't care. Madonna is why I am here. Those who pick on others here, etc., are just bullies on the internet where in real life, they wouldn't dare say what they say to anyone's face. But many of those that do take a jab at Madonna are the same who take jabs at any other female act that ever comes close to what the entertainer Madonna was/is.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

It really looks like Gaga is the best thing happening to this forum is a very long time.

And funnily enough, it;'s the people that hate her that are turning this place INTO GagaNation :lmao: never have i seen so much attention thrown at someone people want to see GO AWAY. Makes no sense :rotfl:

MadonnaNation :clap:

Someone please let me know if there is any legitimate reason to visit this thread again, because it seems to have degenerated for pages. (Sorry, that's not a jab at anyone in particular, and I can't say I didn't even contribute to the decline here, but really... I should have known better...)

:doh:

I don't waste my time on things I don't like. I rather focus that time on things and people I do enjoy.

you waste your time typing those long essays.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You made my day spazz darling! :D

Guest edsalas

Bashing Lady Gaga and mentioning that shitty trainwreck of Shitney Spears in a Madonna discussion thread? Gee!!! For all the people that say that don't care about Gaga and hate on her and everything, her name does get a hella mentioned in here. It's become obsessive and tired and boring. People, MOVE ON!!!!! It's not even funny. It's history, it's boring. At this point an airplane crash would make me laugh out loud more than the Lady Gaga bashing.

Oh god, more of this baloney?

Gaga will never be the next anything. She's just Lady Gaga for better or worse. What can she do that Madonna hasn't already done? Nothing. She will always live in Madonna's shadow like the obnoxious clown she is. End of story.

I AGREE! Lady Gaga is doing things that Madonna already did two decades ago,but critics and young people act as if it's so "new" and "original".It's actually a compliment to Madonna when people refer to GaGa as "the new Madonna".It means that Madonna truly made an impact on pop culture,to the point that so many are now copying her.Madonna is a leader.The folks who copy her are just wannabees,but there's nothing like the real thing.