"Physical Attraction" is the BEST song on the debut album

Physical Attraction is a gem. I don't know if it's the BEST though. I honestly can't choose , they're all amazing!

youre a bad bad girl joanne - no take a bite of this gross thing and throw it out the window!!! :rolleyes::rotfl:

:lmao::rotfl::lmao::rotfl: YOU'VE SEEN IT!!!!!

alright drop 'em and spread those cheeks. i want to whiff it before i spank it. :rotfl:

joanne is the new queen of pop and she has the FACE. now spank ME!

Guest Pud Whacker

joanne is the new queen of pop and she has the FACE. now spank ME!

the face of a dogs asshole. enough of that rancid nothing.

back to the Holy Madonna. xo

Guest Pud Whacker

so you won't spank me? :(

whats with all with spanking everyone wants? sure, im always down to inflict pain on masochists. grab the paddle.

Guest bluejean

No, it's not. Although that album is full of classics. I rate them in this order.

1. Burning Up

2. Lucky Star

3. Holiday

4. Everybody

5. Borderline

6. Physical Attraction

7. I know It

8. Think Of Me

Were Burning Up and Physical Attraction technically a double A side. How did the single releases go exactly? What order were they in the US and in the UK? I didn't even know Everybody was released in the UK until recently.

Guest Pud Whacker

ew Pud! don't invoke my phobia!!

I only small roses and flowers

well, when you enter uncharted territory, everything isnt just a bed of roses. youre going to encounter some funky ass shyt. literally. :rotfl:

get ready...

but like madonna said, when i fall i get up again now. you get up again over and over and over. after each and every dingleberry.

Credited to Reggie Lucas, but Steve Bray was certain that it was a Madonna original and was surprised when he saw the writer's credits. Given that he and Madonna had already fallen out by the time she recorded the album (over his decision not to use him as a producer), so he wouldn't have been around when she actually started recording with Reggie, it seems likely that Madonna really did write this herself, but that for some reason, she allowed Reggie to take the credit.

Guest bluejean

Credited to Reggie Lucas, but Steve Bray was certain that it was a Madonna original and was surprised when he saw the writer's credits. Given that he and Madonna had already fallen out by the time she recorded the album (over his decision not to use him as a producer), so he wouldn't have been around when she actually started recording with Reggie, it seems likely that Madonna really did write this herself, but that for some reason, she allowed Reggie to take the credit.

Can you post quotes and sources for all this info? I'm curious to know about this.

I always felt it odd that she didn't write it, because it's soo her. But why would Madonna give up credit for it? Perhaps it was an agreement to let her have full writing credit on some of the other songs that he contributed too in return.

In Christopher Ciccone's bio he states that Everybody wasn't written solely by Madonna, which is how it is credited in the album.

Can you post quotes and sources for all this info? I'm curious to know about this.

I always felt it odd that she didn't write it, because it's soo her. But why would Madonna give up credit for it? Perhaps it was an agreement to let her have full writing credit on some of the other songs that he contributed too in return.

In Christopher Ciccone's bio he states that Everybody wasn't written solely by Madonna, which is how it is credited in the album.

I have no idea where I read this - it might have been in that brilliant article that appeared in Goldmine about a decade ago, on all of Madonna's unreleased tracks. The guy who wrote it (Steve someone...???) actually had access to the master tapes that were lodged in the US for various demos etc. and was able to listen to them and take notes. When I have some spare time, I'll try to find the quotes/article, but for the moment, you'll just have to take my word for it :). Having read mountains and mountains of info about Madonna over the past 25 years, it's easy to lose track of where and when, but I do tend to have a good memory for facts.

Christopher is right, if Steve Bray is to be considered a reliable source, since he stated that both "Everybody" and "Ain't No Big Deal" were Madonna/Bray co-writes, but they agreed to take sole credit for one track each - Madonna got "Everybody" and Steve got "Ain't No Big Deal". My guess with Reggie Lucas is that it was some behind the scenes deal where his contract included X number of songwriting credits on the album (since he was a "big name producer") and he decided that "Physical Attraction" was the strongest one and Madonna agreed (probably reluctantly) to let him take the credit. Steve didn't say that he co-wrote it with Madonna, which suggests that, like "Burning Up", it was a solo effort by Madonna (since she wasn't co-writing with anyone other than Steve back then).

I'm sorry I don't have links to articles etc. As I said, when I have some decent spare time, I'll try to track something down. Incidentally, I maintained a brief correspondence with Steve Bray around the time "Pre-Madonna" was released and he struck me as a really decent, down to earth sort of guy. We exchanged a few emails, but then he disappeared on me. I guess I am a pretty scary guy ;)

Guest vermicious knid

Here is the Goldmine article. It doesn't have information about "Physical Attraction", but. . .

"Everybody" was originally submitted to the copyright office as "Everybody, Dance" written by both Madonna and Stephen Bray. Later Madonna alone would get authorship for this song on her self titled debut album as Bray explained; " There was an agreement between Madonna and I not to consider "Everybody" as a co-write, but I guess the Library Of Congress never got word of the change in ownership." In the end, Bray received credit alone for "Ain't No Big Deal".

That article is more salivation-inducing than a steak. I want the Bray-produced version of "Sidewalk Talk" with all Madonna vocals!!! GIMMMEEEEE!!

Thanks, Vermicious Knid!!! That's one less thing for me to look up :) Now, if only I could remember where I read Steve's comments about "Physical Attraction"..... :blink:

OK, this isn't the Steve Bray reference, but it's evidence that "Physical Attraction" was originally registered with the US Copyright Office as a Madonna-only composition (Reggie Lucas wasn't given sole credit until 1984). What this means is that even though Reggie Lucas's name was printed on the Madonna album and the 12" single as the writer of the song, Madonna owned the copyright and was officially the songwriter until ownership was transferred to Reggie Lucas (as a result of some deal that we don't know about, since the song was already registered as having been written by Madonna when she recorded it with Reggie Lucas). Now that this has shown up, finding the Steve Bray quote isn't as urgent, but I will still keep an eye out for it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_Madonna_songs

And here's the link to the original copyright claim:

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=33&ti=26,33&Search_Arg=Physical%20Attraction&Search_Code=TALL&CNT=25&REC=0&RD=0&RC=0&PID=1CBk75aZnzeoUp2MOwoOklgg1S-D&SEQ=20100407133343&SID=7

Sorry for its length! That takes you directly to the document, though. Interesting reading....!

No, it's not. Although that album is full of classics. I rate them in this order.

1. Burning Up

2. Lucky Star

3. Holiday

4. Everybody

5. Borderline

6. Physical Attraction

7. I know It

8. Think Of Me

Were Burning Up and Physical Attraction technically a double A side. How did the single releases go exactly? What order were they in the US and in the UK? I didn't even know Everybody was released in the UK until recently.

Releases went:

US:

1. Everybody
  2. Burning Up/Physical Attraction
  3. Holiday/Lucky Star
  4. Borderline

UK:

1. Everybody
  2. Lucky Star
  3. Holiday
  4. Lucky Star (Re-release)
  5. Borderline

Burning Up/Physical Attraction was not released in the UK but was around the world. Lucky Star wasn't released in the US but was sent out on a promo with Holiday. So, it charted without having a physical release I think.

I BU/PA was technically a double A side but as only Burning Up had a video it really relegates PA to a B Side.

Physical Attraction is one of my personal favorites. Hands down it's the best song on the album. LOVE IT. :thumbsup::bow: I hoped it would have been included in Celebration as I think it's a gem of Madonna's earlier work that should have been given more exposure. :inlove:

Guest edsalas

I remember reading before about Steve Bray's and Madonna's deal between Everybody and Ain't No Big Deal, but I had no idea about Physical Attraction being a solely written by Madonna song and passing the writing credit to Reggie Lucas.

How about Borderline? Is that song really Reggie Lucas's or is it Madonna's originally?