1989 Straight Up 1

1989 Forever Your Girl 1

1989 Cold Hearted 1

1989 (It's Just) The Way You Love Me 3

1990 Opposites Attract 1

1991 Rush Rush 1

1991 The Promise Of A New Day 1

1992 Blowing Kisses In The Wind 6

She really did give Madonna a run for her money on the Hot 100 for a couple of years.

yeah, at least in the #1s department... MADONNA was fresh from having her 9th #1 with JML that year and here comes Paula with her 6th in just two years...

She rightfully earned a diss from M that time...

Nothing compared to MARIAH though. Why not choose her? That's who you sound a fan of.

I like some Mariah, not a "lamb" though. I don't own all her albums and I've only sampled MOAIA I didn't choose her though because she's approaching 20 years that she's consistently been having hits and not many artists can do that. People are bursting out of their skin with excitement that Godga has gotten her 5th top ten in a row and use it as some indicator (among other things of course) of what a long and fruitful career she has ahead. Which she very well may. However, just playing devil's advocate here, if we take off the "rose tinted glasses" in regard to Godga for a second (I know 1 second is too long for some) you will see that just because she's scoring hit after hit for a year or two or even three doesn't mean she'll end up having a "Mariah length" career. It could very well end up more "Paula like". Paula was deemed the new "Queen Of Pop" or "new Madonna" by several media outlets at the time, Forever Your Girl was in the top ten for an insane amount of time, she had cool videos with "hot" choreography that were on very heavy rotation.

If MNation were around in 1989, it would've been a bloodbath in here by the end of that year. Think about it....Madonna had declining album sales, songs barely scraping the Top 20 (which was UNHEARD of for her in those days) and her "controversies" sometimes didn't generate the best of press. Then we have PaulALLAH Abdul (I'm sure her loons here would give her a cute name such as that) bursting onto the scene with her cute, young self. Outdancing Madonna and Janet in her videos, scoring hit after hit, winning the hearts of teens around the world, and an album that just wouldn't die. As you can see, as the 80's wound down, all indications were pointing to Madonna having to transfer her crown to Paula for the start of the new decade.

Sound familiar??

-Some fans here claim because Celebration isn't on track to sell a million copies in the UK by the end of the year that makes it a flop. Meanwhile Godga's album is the world's top selling album of the year and has remained on the upper regions of charts around the world for pretty much the entire year. Kinda like Forever Your Girl in 1989.

-Miles Away missing the UK top 40 (???) was a big crisis around this time last year and it was used by some fans as an indicator that Madonna has lost some status in the UK. Then when Celebration (song) didn't peak at number one nor hang around the upper regions of the charts for long, that was yet more evidence that she's "losing it". Meanwhile, Godga is scoring massive hit after massive hit. Kinda like Paula's string of hits 1989-1992.

-Madonna's press these days is in regard to her personal life but NOT Godga....it's all about THE ART, THE FAME, THE FASHION....you know, all the stuff Madonna's fans say she used to be good at. Kind of like when People magazine declared Paula THE MOST WANTED WOMAN on it's cover in 1990. They went on to mention that she's Hollywood's HOTTEST newcomer, she's selling more records than Madonna and she's being INUNDATED with movie offers.

-According to fans Madonna's music videos are horrible these days and GODGA has picked up where she left off. Kind of like when Paula's choreography for her videos was FRESH, COOL AND VIBRANT. While Madonna according to detractors had to resort to cheap shock tactics like kissing a black Jesus or grabbing her crotch.

WHITNEY SAID IT BEST.....SAME SCRIPT.....DIFFERENT CAST.

Guest nothingfails0603

yeah, at least in the #1s department... MADONNA was fresh from having her 9th #1 with JML that year and here comes Paula with her 6th in just two years...

She rightfully earned a diss from M that time...

it's easy to laugh at it in hindsight, but I remember at the time, a lot of people really did think Paula Abdul was on her way to becoming the next Madonna, LOL. I remember even my sister in 1990, who had been a M fan since 1984, saying that she feared that Madonna was slowly on her way out while Paula was going to rule the 90's (this was when "Oh Father" broke M's string of top 10 hits). I also remember all the kids at school who made fun of me for liking "that whore" because she was old news while Paula was it. Little did Paula see Mariah coming and completely eviscerating her career :lol:.

I like some Mariah, not a "lamb" though. I don't own all her albums and I've only sampled MOAIA I didn't choose her though because she's approaching 20 years that she's consistently been having hits and not many artists can do that. People are bursting out of their skin with excitement that Godga has gotten her 5th top ten in a row and use it as some indicator (among other things of course) of what a long and fruitful career she has ahead. Which she very well may. However, just playing devil's advocate here, if we take off the "rose tinted glasses" in regard to Godga for a second (I know 1 second is too long for some) you will see that just because she's scoring hit after hit for a year or two or even three doesn't mean she'll end up having a "Mariah length" career. It could very well end up more "Paula like". Paula was deemed the new "Queen Of Pop" or "new Madonna" by several media outlets at the time, Forever Your Girl was in the top ten for an insane amount of time, she had cool videos with "hot" choreography that were on very heavy rotation.

If MNation were around in 1989, it would've been a bloodbath in here by the end of that year. Think about it....Madonna had declining album sales, songs barely scraping the Top 20 (which was UNHEARD of for her in those days) and her "controversies" sometimes didn't generate the best of press. Then we have PaulALLAH Abdul (I'm sure her loons here would give her a cute name such as that) bursting onto the scene with her cute, young self. Outdancing Madonna and Janet in her videos, scoring hit after hit, winning the hearts of teens around the world, and an album that just wouldn't die. As you can see, as the 80's wound down, all indications were pointing to Madonna having to transfer her crown to Paula for the start of the new decade.

Sound familiar??

-Some fans here claim because Celebration isn't on track to sell a million copies in the UK by the end of the year that makes it a flop. Meanwhile Godga's album is the world's top selling album of the year and has remained on the upper regions of charts around the world for pretty much the entire year. Kinda like Forever Your Girl in 1989.

-Miles Away missing the UK top 40 (???) was a big crisis around this time last year and it was used by some fans as an indicator that Madonna has lost some status in the UK. Then when Celebration (song) didn't peak at number one nor hang around the upper regions of the charts for long, that was yet more evidence that she's "losing it". Meanwhile, Godga is scoring massive hit after massive hit. Kinda like Paula's string of hits 1989-1992.

-Madonna's press these days is in regard to her personal life but NOT Godga....it's all about THE ART, THE FAME, THE FASHION....you know, all the stuff Madonna's fans say she used to be good at. Kind of like when People magazine declared Paula THE MOST WANTED WOMAN on it's cover in 1990. They went on to mention that she's Hollywood's HOTTEST newcomer, she's selling more records than Madonna and she's being INUNDATED with movie offers.

-According to fans Madonna's music videos are horrible these days and GODGA has picked up where she left off. Kind of like when Paula's choreography for her videos was FRESH, COOL AND VIBRANT. While Madonna according to detractors had to resort to cheap shock tactics like kissing a black Jesus or grabbing her crotch.

Perfectly stated. :thumbsup:

Guest Danny86
PaulALLAH Abdul (I'm sure her loons here would give her a cute name such as that)

Kind of like when People magazine declared Paula THE MOST WANTED WOMAN on it's cover in 1990.

:rotfl:

Kurt is the best!!! :D

Gaga is more artistic than Paula, though, so that could bode well for her future. We'll see.

Paula is a prime example of how #1s don't mean much, though (not that Mimi hasn't shown that)- I mean, she has 6, and Bruce Springsteen and James Brown have ZERO, Aretha Franklin has 2, etc. etc.

Anyhow, Gaga's run of hits is impressive, no doubt. It's tougher nowadays than it was pre-BDS/SoundScan to score such consistent streaks of hits (i.e. four top 10s from one album). Only a few (like Fergie) have done it; Christina Aguilera did it with her debut album, too (it helped that she had CD singles for every one of those too,at a time when CD singles were on the way out).

I like some Mariah, not a "lamb" though.

Good god, is there REALLY any need for another defensive tangential essay length reply? :|

All I was saying was that it's a tad immature for you to play the "my diva is better than your diva because she has better chart stats even though your diva has just started out" game and invoke Gaga's name when she's not even mentioned. Honestly, what is the point of these comparisons?

And I don't think ANYONE here actually likes Gaga better overall than your precious Goddess who you'd jump off a cliff for Madonna do they? This just comes off as insecure and silly. We know Gaga isn't remotely a threat to Madonna's legacy. And the use of chart stats to claim superiority is very lambish. Same script, different cast indeed.

There was a difference though back then both Madonna and Paula were young are both were committed to their careers. Madonna is and proably cant be as committed to her career in music in the sense of promoting it left right and centre simply because she has a family and by jetting here there and everywhere she would increase her carbon footprint. On top of that American Radio wont play her songs unless she duets with younger "hot" stars. You cant compare 2 women at different stages of their careers. it is a bit early to say Gaga is the new Queen of Pop when she has to get past the hurdles presented By artists such as Paulla, Kylie, Debbie Gibson, Xtina, Britney, Whitey, Janet, Mariah before she gets anywhere close to M. However, she has probably got past the first hurdle Tiffany.

Guest nothingfails0603

To compare Madonna and Gaga in 2009 is really pointless because Madonna isn't far away from celebrating 30 years in the business, while Gaga wasn't even alive during the Like A Virgin era (she was born a few months before True Blue's release). Madonna's cemented herself as a legend, she's made it.... everything here on out is icing on the cake for her. It's no different than where Streisand was when Madonna was the hottest new star on the planet, Babs was 25 years into her career and was beginning to be considered old (in all fairness, Aretha and Tina are older than Babs but maintained further popularity in the 80's than she did because they were more MTV-friendly) but even in 2009, after all Madonna's accomplished, Barbra's place as a legend and pop culture icon has been cemented and nobody is going to take it away from her. Madonna is in the same shoes. Do I think Gaga will in fact be the next Madonna? I have no idea, but regardless, no matter who comes along and becomes the next megaiconsuperstar, Madonna will always have her place cemented.

it is a bit early to say Gaga is the new Queen of Pop when she has to get past the hurdles presented By artists such as Paulla, Kylie, Debbie Gibson, Xtina, Britney, Whitey, Janet, Mariah before she gets anywhere close to M. However, she has probably got past the first hurdle Tiffany.

Besides chart statistics and other more etherical aspects,for "she-who-must-not-be-named" to be some kind of Queen, she would have reach these heights(or else shoot her):

Top Achievements / Albums

most successful artists SOURCE: IFPI / MEDIA TRAFFIC

1 Beatles

2 Elvis Presley

3 Michael Jackson

4 Pink Floyd

5 Madonna

6 Elton John

7 Led Zeppelin

8 Rolling Stones

9 U2

10 Queen

Top Achievements / Tracks

most successful artists SOURCE: IFPI / MEDIA TRAFFIC

1 Elvis Presley

2 Beatles

3 Madonna

4 Elton John

5 Michael Jackson

6 Rolling Stones

7 Bee Gees

8 Stevie Wonder

9 Whitney Houston

10 Rod Stewart

The Billboard Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists

The definitive list of the Hot 100's top 100 artists, based on all charting titles from August 1958 through July 2008.

20 Marvin Gaye

19 Aretha Franklin

18 Olivia Newton-John

17 Rod Stewart

16 Prince

15 Daryl Hall & John Oates

14 The Supremes

13 Chicago

12 Bee Gees

11 Paul McCartney/Wings

10 The Rolling Stones

9 Whitney Houston

8 Michael Jackson

7 Janet Jackson

6 Mariah Carey

5 Stevie Wonder

4 Elvis Presley

3 Elton John

2 Madonna

1 The Beatles

Plus, Beyonce also had similar statistics, her 5 singles from "Dangerously in love"(US:4 times platinium/worldwide 8 xplatinium ) reached the top 5 at Hot 100 and 3 were number 1...get the point? :doh:

And your point because the last I knew Beyonce was still a top name mega star. Sure I cant stand the twat and I picture her being a stuck up cunt behind the scenes ( I am sorry I dont buy the sweet girl act) but I would be dumb if I didnt admit that she is a mega star.

And your point because the last I knew Beyonce was still a top name mega star. Sure I cant stand the twat and I picture her being a stuck up cunt behind the scenes ( I am sorry I dont buy the sweet girl act) but I would be dumb if I didnt admit that she is a mega star.

Yes she was indeed a star before her solo career, same as Fergie.

In terms of Music i prefer them both as part of their bands but hell, i do prefer "she-who-must-not-be-named" more than them both...nature's dirty little tricks :horn:

Good god, is there REALLY any need for another defensive tangential essay length reply? :|

All I was saying was that it's a tad immature for you to play the "my diva is better than your diva because she has better chart stats even though your diva has just started out" game and invoke Gaga's name when she's not even mentioned. Honestly, what is the point of these comparisons?

And I don't think ANYONE here actually likes Gaga better overall than your precious Goddess who you'd jump off a cliff for Madonna do they? This just comes off as insecure and silly. We know Gaga isn't remotely a threat to Madonna's legacy. And the use of chart stats to claim superiority is very lambish. Same script, different cast indeed.

I don't really care who likes Gaga more than Madonna, but please don't disrespect Madonna on her own forum with your over zealous love for Gaga (not you...just saying in general). Please don't act like some Madonna fans aren't saying Madonna needs to "up the ante" to keep up with what Gaga is doing these days. I mean Godga?? HELLO. I'm just being the ying to the yang. Silly? Fuck yeah. Insecure? I'm not stupid, I realize Madonna could never do anything again and she would still be the "Queen Of Pop". She's like an Elvis or Michael at this point. It just gets old seeing how dismissive her own fans are of her after all of her accomplishments. I know some are poking fun, but some aren't.

All this and I like Gaga myself, Fame Monster has been in my CD player ever since it leaked.

please don't disrespect Madonna on her own forum with your over zealous love for Gaga

:lmao:

So now I'm "disrespecting" Madonna am I? And on her own forum. :( Awww diddums. I don't even like Gaga. And lol @ you taking "Godga" seriously.

I am a Madonna fan. You are a FANATIC

:lmao:

So now I'm "disrespecting" Madonna am I? And on her own forum. :( Awww diddums. I don't even like Gaga. And lol @ you taking "Godga" seriously.

I am a Madonna fan. You are a FANATIC

I'm so over selective readers. Did I not SPECIFICALLY say "not you. Just in general..." in regard to dissing M in my last post? I point out how some people tend to not mind ripping Madonna a new asshole on her own forum on a daily basis and I am the one with issues? The only thing I can say to that is OH DIDDUMS INDEED. :( It has less to do with being a Madonna fanatic than the principle at hand. I belong to other forums where Madonna is dissed all the time and I don't feel the need to say anything at all. In HER OWN forum though?? At the lengths some people go to here to make a point? Yeah, I guess I feel the need to speak up. At no forum I've ever visited for other artists, is it permissable to so openly hate on (AGAIN NOT YOU...IN GENERAL..IN GENERAL....IN GENERAL) the person that the forum is dedicated to. Maybe I don't read sarcasm well through the internet at times...I don't know? But I do know that fans that like to nitpick and be overly sarcastic for the sake of a reaction shouldn't be surprised when other fans actually react.

I don't take the GODGA thing seriously, I just find it incredibly STUPID so I don't mind commenting on it.

'Copied'

The definitive list of the Hot 100's top 100 artists, based on all charting titles from August 1958 through July 2008.

20 Marvin Gaye

19 Aretha Franklin

18 Olivia Newton-John

17 Rod Stewart

16 Prince

14 The Supremes

13 Chicago

12 Bee Gees

11 Paul McCartney/Wings

10 The Rolling Stones

9 Whitney Houston

8 Michael Jackson

7 Janet Jackson

6 Mariah Carey

5 Stevie Wonder

4 Elvis Presley

3 Elton John

2 Madonna

1 The Beatles

With all Mariah's number one, you would have she'd be higher, and quite surprized Madge so high, above elvis!

Guest nothingfails0603

Gaga has the misfortue of being a visual artist while there is little to no outlet for music videos.

I'm not in the "Gaga is God" camp, but I think the visual thing actually helps, not hurts her. It gives her personality. Compare it to someone like Rihanna who has had several years worth of great singles behind her, but with little to no personality or star power. Getting beaten by Chris Brown was the biggest thing that ever happened to her and was the first time people actually wanted to learn more about her... whereas Gaga seems to bring out the excitement in fans you never see from contemporary pop divas who sing good songs but are dime a dozen in the image/personality department. If Gaga is today's Madonna, Rihanna is today's Sheena Easton, and more divas are Sheena than Madonna these days in that sense.

'Copied'

20 Marvin Gaye

19 Aretha Franklin

18 Olivia Newton-John

17 Rod Stewart

16 Prince

14 The Supremes

13 Chicago

12 Bee Gees

11 Paul McCartney/Wings

10 The Rolling Stones

9 Whitney Houston

8 Michael Jackson

7 Janet Jackson

6 Mariah Carey

5 Stevie Wonder

4 Elvis Presley

3 Elton John

2 Madonna

1 The Beatles

With all Mariah's number one, you would have she'd be higher, and quite surprized Madge so high, above elvis!

yep, but it's fair anyway, i mean, it would be pretty unfair if Mariah were there over elvis instead! :lmao:

Guest Topaz Scorpio

:clap:

Guest missy bi_tch

I'm not in the "Gaga is God" camp, but I think the visual thing actually helps, not hurts her. It gives her personality. Compare it to someone like Rihanna who has had several years worth of great singles behind her, but with little to no personality or star power. Getting beaten by Chris Brown was the biggest thing that ever happened to her and was the first time people actually wanted to learn more about her... whereas Gaga seems to bring out the excitement in fans you never see from contemporary pop divas who sing good songs but are dime a dozen in the image/personality department. If Gaga is today's Madonna, Rihanna is today's Sheena Easton, and more divas are Sheena than Madonna these days in that sense.

agreed... there are great chart busters but no one has had that personality or character...

even like alicia keys, acclaimed and everything but when I saw her videos, I think there's just sthg lacking, same with many artists...

gaga is not god, she may falter in the future but the truth is she is good at what she's doing

I'm not in the "Gaga is God" camp, but I think the visual thing actually helps, not hurts her.

It helps her. I'm saying if it was 1989 and MTV was playing Gaga 24/7 it would aide someone like her in a way that isn't going to happen now.