American Life: A Retrospective

Guest SuperBriGuy

Guest SuperBriGuy

The title says it all...I would love to know what people think about this album. I truly loved it, thought it was one of her bravest albums she ever released. I hate that it was so overlooked. So many moments of perfection on this album..."Nothing Fails," "Love Profusion," "Intervention." The entire album is just awesome, from start to finish. But that's MY opinion, I want to know what everyone else thinks.

logo.jpg

The title says it all...I would love to know what people think about this album. I truly loved it, thought it was one of her bravest albums she ever released. I hate that it was so overlooked. So many moments of perfection on this album..."Nothing Fails," "Love Profusion," "Intervention." The entire album is just awesome, from start to finish. But that's MY opinion, I want to know what everyone else thinks.

logo.jpg

It`s a good album !

Intervention is one of her best songs ever !!! :-)

It's her most introspective to date and one with substance. Only M can pull off the acoustic-electronic vibe on this album with ease. I don't know why this album gets alot of flack but i've loved it since April 22, 2003. I guess it's was too much to take in at first listen for some but the ingrediants of this album make a great listen. My favorite Album by far.

Guest SuperBriGuy

Oh not ANOTHER thread eulogising the "lost masterpiece" that is American Life. :grr:

:lol: Lmao I will start going through older threads before I start them from now on...I was afraid of that.

A Few Weeks Ago, I HATED "Mother & Father"

And Now, as of Today, it's one of My NEW Fav's on the Album.

:inlove: I've Always loved American Life.

The singles had some GREAT VIDEOS :wow:

MADONNA_HOLLYWOOD.jpg

Best Photo Ever!

That kind of Iconography is missed in music videos today...so sad.

Guest SuperBriGuy

Best Photo Ever!

That kind of Iconography is missed in music videos today...so sad.

Yeah, I loved the "Hung Up" video but the "Hollywood" video was the last time she put something out there on the level of "Vogue." I kind of liken it to Madonna's modern-day interpretation of that hit; it's crazy to think that only thirteen years earlier she was doing the Vogue rap to famous movie stars, and then in "Hollywood" she was kind of blasting everything that the town stands for. But that's Madonna for you.

A Few Weeks Ago, I HATED "Mother & Father"

And Now, as of Today, it's one of My NEW Fav's on the Album.

:inlove: I've Always loved American Life.

The singles had some GREAT VIDEOS :wow:

MADONNA_HOLLYWOOD.jpg

I always liked mother & father, then actually watching it live with intervention(one of my fav on the album) was just :dramatic:

Guest SuperBriGuy

During the "AL" Era... SHE LOOKED SO YOUNG! :shock:

Yeah, she really did...she looked really young in photos for her shoot for W magazine at the time, too.

w_magazine10.jpg

I love the album as a whole...the stripped down instruments, the bare production, her lower register, the artwork. "Intervention" is on my top 10 all-time tracks by her too.

The only thing somewhat lacking is that the lyrics are a bit patchy overall.

Guest SuperBriGuy

To me, AL is track 0. Track 1 is "Hollywood".

Yeaaahhhh, see, that's how I feel. AL is by and far the weakest track on the album. The funny thing is that the first time I ever heard it was on the radio, and it was a dance mix, and I thought that was the true version...I got really excited. Then I heard the actual version and was less than thrilled...but it grew on me, and I still dutifuly bought the album and was INCREDIBLY pleased. Excellent.

It's in my top 3 Madge albums, and I might be the only person who loves the song "American Life." I honestly think it's great, and the rap doesn't bother me at all.

I did, however, know the song was in trouble from the time I read the single review in "Billboard," which up until that time, if I'm not mistaken, had given every one of her singles a good review. They were bitching about how the song has two chorus's, and I remember thinking "who the hell cares?"

Guest SuperBriGuy

It's in my top 3 Madge albums, and I might be the only person who loves the song "American Life." I honestly think it's great, and the rap doesn't bother me at all.

I did, however, know the song was in trouble from the time I read the single review in "Billboard," which up until that time, if I'm not mistaken, had given every one of her singles a good review. They were bitching about how the song has two chorus's, and I remember thinking "who the hell cares?"

I don't hate the AL single, I just wasn't an immediate fan of it like I am so much of her stuff. And I didn't have a big problem with the rap, either...I think Madonna was trying to be funny and tongue-in-cheek and it got misconstrued...people took it WAAAAAY too seriously.

I don't hate the AL single, I just wasn't an immediate fan of it like I am so much of her stuff. And I didn't have a big problem with the rap, either...I think Madonna was trying to be funny and tongue-in-cheek and it got misconstrued...people took it WAAAAAY too seriously.

agreed, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. I have loved American Life from the first time i heard the song on the radio, and still do...i thought it was a really cool progression in sound from her work with mirwais on 'music'...

Guest Drowned Bedtime

So much love for this album from me. For whatever reason, I never found it clunky, loved Mirwais' production, American Life as a song worked for me, it was direct and awesome (would've been better with the real video though), and I just...loved it.

It felt like a personal thing she really wanted to do. Far better flow than Music.

The title says it all...I would love to know what people think about this album. I truly loved it, thought it was one of her bravest albums she ever released.

What's so brave about it? Elaborate.

Guest SuperBriGuy

What's so brave about it? Elaborate.

Billboard's review of the album says it best...

"Unlike recent collections Music and Ray of Light, the lyrical content of American Life relies less on spiritual introspection and more on woman-in-the-mirror confrontation."

That's why I think it's a brave album. It takes a lot for a person to take a good, long, hard look at themselves in the mirror, much less make an album about it. I applauded that. Not that she hadn't done it before on past albums, but this seemed to be the album where she really looked back and thought about what she had done with her life. Every song told a story about some facet of her life...her career, her views on superstardom, her actions, her family, her self worth...

Guest boytoyville

I have said it before and I'll say it again. It's the album that cemented me as a super fan. I will always be very attached to this album.