Madonna, Mariah Carey, & Whitney Houston: Why Queens of Pop Will Flop

Guest Hot Revolver

Guest hot revolver

queensofpop.jpg

Last night I found myself negotiating a spicy tuna roll with a pair of chopsticks when a friend turned to me and said, "Do you think she's had work done? She's obviously had work done." We were referring to Whitney Houston's radiant new look. And then this horrible tune by Mariah Carey came on over the speakers, so naturally we rounded out the trio by all agreeing that Madonna hadn't done anything respectable since 1998's Ray of Light. And lately, it's been nothing but a slow burn of setbacks, one after another and another. But somehow, we expect that despite three of pop's erstwhile heavyweights unleashing what should be three of the year's biggest records, it all looks set to go down with a dull thud.

As yet another friend points out, “I guess the divas have proven not to be recession-proof.” Oddly, there’s a shiny kernel of truth to that sentiment. Last year, music sales dipped sharply again. Although this sort of decline has been definitive of practically every industry nationwide, it still seems poignant that the consequences trickle back to our own pop stars. But at the same time, emerging talent, realizing how unreliable and wasteful major labels are, have become more adaptable. They’re realizing the full potential of viral marketing and the broke bourgeoisie’s willingness to try free things by virtue of their cheapness. So when the free things are brilliant, someone mails it out to his BFF who in turn tends to write a blog post, which is then reblogged, then tweeted, then retweeted, and ultimately brought to the attention of a surly Pitchfork editor who, because he’s not surly on that auspicious day, decides to give it a shiny gold star. And then said act goes onto open for The Killers or Lady Gaga.

Basically this self-sustaining way of propagating pop music has outmoded overfed corporate suits. The Simon Cowells of the world are nearing extinction. Which probably isn’t good news for Leona Lewis’ next album, as her days are definitely numbered.

But in the case of the holy trinity, these women were once at the forefront of many pop trends, despite having corporate beasts greasing the wheels to buttress their iconic status. And because the only success they know is the type derived from this kind of corporate codependency, they’re struggling to adapt to a musical climate that forgoes that mutual back-scratching. Moreover, the current climate lately favors kitsch, novelty, and imagination over tried-and-true. They’re lumbering through the 21st century like the giantesses they are without looking down at the world below them to understand how trends have evolved and why very many pop singers these days try to steer clear of Diane Warren.

But basically, Madonna, Mariah, and Whitney are having a major branding crisis. They’ve grown up, evolved past sex symbol status and are thrashing about, not necessarily content by being condemned to the gay ghetto. Contrarily, some of pop’s greener, nichey artists are making the most of their rising star power in new ways and avoiding that sort of pigeonholing. Even Christina Aguilera—practically a pop descendant of Houston in some cases—eyeballed the sea change and continues exacting a foolproof gameplan so as not to sound so irrelevant upon her return. In a mall of pop stars who are like a collection of downtown boutiques, the holy trinity are like the obligatory Lane Bryant, J.C. Penney, and Macy’s. Sprawling, safe, and senseless.

That said, there’s no doubt these three are going to sell impressive amounts of records and once in a while, even sell out an arena tour. But the flailing and flopping comes in where there are more than just numbers at stake. There are legacies, legends, and myths. It’s doubtful that any of them—especially Houston, whose comeback still almost appears surreal—want to be remembered as sinking icons. But so sorely lacking self-awareness and a drive to try new things, they’ve just become cash cows who provide too-easy punchlines and little else besides a conduit back to the past for those moments when we’re flush with merlot and want a reason to rant about, “The good old days when.”

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/madonna-mariah-carey-whitney-houston-why-the-queens-of-pop-will-flop/10418

Wat do u guys think? i think madonna will do just fine personally.

Even Christina Aguilera—practically a pop descendant of Houston in some cases—eyeballed the sea change and continues exacting a foolproof gameplan so as not to sound so irrelevant upon her return.

Good luck with that! :lmao:

Even Christina Aguilera—practically a pop descendant of Houston in some cases—eyeballed the sea change and continues exacting a foolproof gameplan so as not to sound so irrelevant upon her return.

love the Xtina mention , seriously can NOT WAIT for her new album!! :thumbsup:

i think madonna will do just fine personally.

your sig says otherwise :rotfl:

Madonna hadn't done anything respectable since 1998's Ray of Light

Says who? Im supposed to take to heart the opinion of a bitch who eats spicy tuna rolls?.... :blink:

I think the person looking to flop the hardest out of these 3 with their new release is Whitney. Mariah I think will do fine. I think her product always sucks but the bitch is motivated to push that product hard and get it heard and sold, so I will at least give her that. I mean like the person says. Record sales are in the crapper. Its a feat if you sell 1 million in the states these days, so its not like Mariah has touring to fall back on to bring in the cash. She has to push her songs and albums hard.

That photo of "classic" Mariah is remarkably not that annoying. She was pretty then, right up till Butterfly before she got the gigantotits installed.

And there's Whitney, the angle of the 80s :inlove: and THAT shot from "Vogue" is everything.

Guest thehiltonsuite

Saying Madonna hasn't done anything respectable since Ray of Light is a vast understatement. Most of Music was just as good as anything on Ray of Light.....and don't forget Die Another Day. Confessions On A Dance Floor is also just as good as Ray of Light. These stars are OLDER now....of course they're not going to be as popular as they used to, because we live in an ageist society. But Madonna is doing pretty good if you ask me. She still one of the top acts in the world, if not THE top. Just because 12 year old aren't banging Hard Candy doesn't mean anything. She's STILL repsected.

I feel Madonna has gotten a bad rap since Hard Candy came out......particulary among her gay fans. Let's not forget that it was the 3rd bestseller last year.....and if she had of promoted it, it would be bigger than that.

I do think that Madonna hasn't really pulled off anything that has really plugged her back into the "zeitgeist" since Ray of Light - and I am not talking about commercial success only. ROL resonated with a lot of people who would never be a regular Madonna fan - and I think that was reflected in its commercial AND critical successes (including many award nominations). I think it was her last album that seemed to have a "soul," if you will. However, I am quite certain she can do it again...and will.

In that respect, I can see where this writer is coming from. However, I don't think Madonna will flop commercially with Celebration (the GH). I think we might be looking at another GOLD certification in the US (maybe platinum if "Revolver" is a big hit), but I feel confident it will do very well in Europe and Asia. I'm thinking at least 2.5 million worldwide, maybe more if it does well through the holidays.

Mariah will probably hit GOLD in the US, but her sales everywhere else probably won't be much - I'm guessing 1.3 million copies (or even less) worldwide. Whitney will probably hit GOLD stateside too, but worldwide, she will not be a success. I'd guess 1.5 million ww tops.

I do think that Madonna hasn't really pulled off anything that has really plugged her back into the "zeitgeist" since Ray of Light - and I am not talking about commercial success only.

Well I don't think anyone can say the 2000s has been her best decade.

The only thing stopping Celebration from being huge is the fact that so many already own Immaculate. A lot might be buying this as a replacement/upgrade.

The only thing stopping Celebration from being huge is the fact that so many already own Immaculate. A lot might be buying this as a replacement/upgrade.

no, the 2000´s has not been her best decade, but it has been a quite good one, with albums full of good songs, and a lot of tours.I´m happy with her work in this decade

2 words.

Hung Up

Yeah, a song that borrows an ABBA sample for its spine and recyles the words from "Love Song." What creative brilliance. :rolleyes:

I don't deny it was a very catchy and fun song - and a huge commercial hit, but it broke nothing in the way of new ground for her.

I don't deny it was a very catchy and fun song - and a huge commercial hit, but it broke nothing in the way of new ground for her.

What new ground is there for her to break? Madonna has already done it all, she has nothing left to prove.

Hung Up was pretty epic IMO.

The video was just :inlove:

Guest ursaminorjim

In terms of her iconic status and chart dominance and overall omnipresence? No. It hasn't. But musically? I think her best moments this past decade are just as good - and in a few cases far better - than her 80s and 90s glory days.

All superstar artists experience a dip in sales and (usually) quality the longer they go on. But a lucky few canput out work that ranks with their past peaks (R.E.M., Bob Dylan, Depeche Mode, Sparks, Paul McCartney all spring immediately to mind). Even U2 - who put out their best album in ages this past year - have felt the softening of their megastar status. It's just something that happens (I personally don't see how a few bum records can tarnish an artist's past work, though). And it's definitely harder for pop artists. Their stock in trade is being both fresh and exciting and new every time out, while still retaining their hold on the imagination of a mass audience. People are just resistant to them going too far off the beaten path as they are when they follow formula as well. Plus, pop is seen almost exclusively as a young person's music, and it becomes somehow unseemly for someone twice the age (and older) of their imagined "target audience" still going at it. It's all just...stupid.

Listen to the music people. Then decide.

Guest waiting

In terms of her iconic status and chart dominance and overall omnipresence? No. It hasn't. But musically? I think her best moments this past decade are just as good - and in a few cases far better - than her 80s and 90s glory days.

All superstar artists experience a dip in sales and (usually) quality the longer they go on. But a lucky few canput out work that ranks with their past peaks (R.E.M., Bob Dylan, Depeche Mode, Sparks, Paul McCartney all spring immediately to mind). Even U2 - who put out their best album in ages this past year - have felt the softening of their megastar status. It's just something that happens (I personally don't see how a few bum records can tarnish an artist's past work, though). And it's definitely harder for pop artists. Their stock in trade is being both fresh and exciting and new every time out, while still retaining their hold on the imagination of a mass audience. People are just resistant to them going too far off the beaten path as they are when they follow formula as well. Plus, pop is seen almost exclusively as a young person's music, and it becomes somehow unseemly for someone twice the age (and older) of their imagined "target audience" still going at it. It's all just...stupid.

Listen to the music people. Then decide.

:shock:

What would you say are those best moments in this decade?

What new ground is there for her to break? Madonna has already done it all, she has nothing left to prove.

Hung Up was pretty epic IMO.

The video was just :inlove:

She hasn't done a full-on ROCK album yet. She hasn't done an industrial album yet (although if she did it would be industrial-pop no doubt), nor has she done a 70's style soul album. I think there are a number of things she could still try. I don't think it has anything to do with "proving" anything, but I've always regarded her as a true artist who is pushing limits and let's face it, she really hasn't been doing that in the music world. I LOVED COADF - probably almost as much as ROL (almost), but it was dance-electronica - and although the production was superb, I didn't feel like I was being taken anywhere new artistically. And she doesn't need to even do that with every album, but one a decade would be nice.

And by the way, I loved the "Hung Up" video too.

I love "Hung Up" and COADF -- I think "Hung Up" was catchy enough to capture the attention and affection of many non-fans and casual fans, honestly.

But did they forget about "Music"? It was the first time since 1989 that she had the number one album and number one single simultaneously. (She didn't do THAT with Ray of Light! I love the Ray of Light album, but in a lot of ways, it wasn't as much a chart success as "Music" was. Yes, "Ray of Light" was critically acclaimed and won her the coveted Grammys she'd never received before -- and maybe "Music" got some passes from critics in the afterglow of "Ray of Light." But I don't think one can honestly say the last respectable thing she did was "Ray of Light.")

Guest waiting

ROL is far superior than Music. Why do people always bring up chart success - it means very little. How many number ones do Britney and Mariah have? Are they respectable?

I do think that Madonna hasn't really pulled off anything that has really plugged her back into the "zeitgeist" since Ray of Light - and I am not talking about commercial success only. ROL resonated with a lot of people who would never be a regular Madonna fan - and I think that was reflected in its commercial AND critical successes (including many award nominations). I think it was her last album that seemed to have a "soul," if you will. However, I am quite certain she can do it again...and will.

In that respect, I can see where this writer is coming from. However, I don't think Madonna will flop commercially with Celebration (the GH). I think we might be looking at another GOLD certification in the US (maybe platinum if "Revolver" is a big hit), but I feel confident it will do very well in Europe and Asia. I'm thinking at least 2.5 million worldwide, maybe more if it does well through the holidays.

Mariah will probably hit GOLD in the US, but her sales everywhere else probably won't be much - I'm guessing 1.3 million copies (or even less) worldwide. Whitney will probably hit GOLD stateside too, but worldwide, she will not be a success. I'd guess 1.5 million ww tops.

Two discs means a double in slaes figures, so the album will easily go platinum even though it won't actually sell a million copies.

^ I brought up charts because other people were talking about what a commercial success Ray of Light was. Charts ARE an indicator of commercial success, are they not?

Ray of Light got a hard break being locked out of #1 by the iceberg that was the Titanic soundtrack, but it still remains a fact that "Music" was a #1 album and the lead single hit #1. She hadn't done that since "Like a Prayer." I never remember hearing "Ray of Light" on the radio, but I heard "Music" on the radio a lot.

Artistically, I'm not saying "Music" is better than "Ray of Light." I love just about everything Madonna and William Orbit did together (and the remixes Orbit did prior to their actual collaborations). But to suggest RoL is the last significant thing she's done is just ridiculous. I can see how they'd overlook American Life, but "Music" should be a no-brainer.

If you want to go by awards and such because that's more meaningful to you, then how about this? "Music" was also nominated for a Grammy (at least one -- maybe more, I don't recall off the top of my head) and it lost out for best pop album to Steely Dan. THAT is ridiculous. Steely Dan may be respectable and all, but there's no way they are more 'pop' than Madonna.

If Madonna, Mariah or Whitney's career is over why would they bother writing about them?

Didn't she win a grammy before ROL, with Truth or dare (in 1992?) for best long form video?

Don't forget Music also made Rolling Stones magazines top 500 albums of all time as well.

no, the 2000´s has not been her best decade, but it has been a quite good one, with albums full of good songs, and a lot of tours.I´m happy with her work in this decade

Oh I agree with that. Except for the low point A******* L***

However, this decade her lyrics and vocals went increasingly downhill. That said, overall she's maintained, like what Jim said about veteran artists and she's done really well. It's probably comparable to the 90s but she never quite had a vicious backlash that took her years to recover from.

In the US - ultimately, no

Everyone seems to think she's just a slut there. The demure Take a Bow was the exception to the rule and I suppose back then people would say it was a major case of damage control working with Babyface.

It's more conservative and isn't really a dance country like Britain/Europe. Despite the fact that they invented it, US DJs like Van Helden said that the UK owned house music now. A trance song like Celebration would never succeed there. Though oddly I saw Cascada high on US iTunes. :chuckle:

Otherwise, of course she's not relevant to the youth of today, but every dog has its day and she ensured her legend status way back when and has found her niche in touring - unless she keeps overdoing it and people become bored, but I think she'd be someone people would always want to see...