Mariah vs. Madonna

Guest dicktracy

Haha u dumb

Obviously it's better to rule the world and not just one country

If you don't get that, then you have a problem..

Agreed. I think it's more impressive to be big in many countries instead of just one. Even if the U.S. is the biggest music market, I'd prefer to be in Madonna's position than Mariah's if I were an artist. I mean what will happen when Mimi can't sell in the U.S. anymore? She is not that big worldwide and her tours usually flop. It's gonna be harder for Mariah. Eventhough Madonna doesn't sell in America like she used to, at least she's still big worldwide and can always sell records & sell out concerts all over. Someday Mariah will be 50 too and I can guarantee you that she wont fare as well as Madonna has. As far as careers go, It's much better to be in Madonna's position imo.

Agreed. I think it's more impressive to be big in many countries instead of just one. Even if the U.S. is the biggest music market, I'd prefer to be in Madonna's position than Mariah's if I were an artist. I mean what will happen when Mimi can't sell in the U.S. anymore? She is not that big worldwide and her tours usually flop. It's gonna be harder for Mariah. Eventhough Madonna doesn't sell in America like she used to, at least she's still big worldwide and can always sell records & sell out concerts all over. Someday Mariah will be 50 too and I can guarantee you that she wont fare as well as Madonna has. As far as careers go, It's much better to be in Madonna's position imo.

exactly... but GimmeSomeMo just need to make Madonna look worse than Mariah... but he obviously failed AGAIN...

Guest madgefan02

we belong together was cheated off the top position. we belong together missed the top spot in july 05 by 300 copies or something like that. i bet someone last minute put in that extra 300 something so they could keep mimi off the top spot. its a conspiracy. i mean 1000 copies sound ok but 300 something. if madonna fans are smug about this( madonna only fans not both diva supporters) then remember all the times that madge faliled to get the top spot on billboard hot 100 while the song peaked at 2. both diva's are being twarted.

Yes that's exactly what I was doing. Jesus some of the people on here shouldnt even be allowed access to a computer.

Yep, that was exactly what you did, and i'm glad you atleast admit it this time.

And I agree with you, we should start with you not accessing any... it would be for the better...

Someday Mariah will be 50 too and I can guarantee you that she wont fare as well as Madonna has. As far as careers go, It's much better to be in Madonna's position imo.

This reminds me of the story that Roger Friedman being paid by Mariah's publicity team and Benny Medina; he is being accused to "tear apart" celebrities (except one artist......Mariah Carey !!!) :clap:

2 examples how cunning and subtle Friedman whines Madonna’s Hard Candy & Sticky & Sweet 2008:

"Meanwhile, a better question to ask is why can’t WMG cough up a follow-up single to “4 Minutes”? That is, assuming they would want to. “Hard Candy” is full of candidates such as “Miles Away” and “Give It to Me. But WMG hasn’t had made a move. By contrast, Mariah Carey — whose sales have outpaced Madonna’s considerably — is already on her third single from her contemporaneous release, “E=MC2.”

"So let’s clear up reports from Tuesday that her big fall tour isn’t selling out. With the sole exception of Los Angeles’ Dodger Stadium, the Sweet and Sticky tour, I am told, will outpace Madonna’s last tour significantly. Indeed, Dodger Stadium is the only venue Madonna hasn’t sold out. Of course, the show isn’t for five months. The fact that she’s sold half the stadium now for November is pretty darn impressive".

I am not surprised if Whitney's comeback is being sabotaged by this style of writings, too. Read the shocking article about Mr Friedman: http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2006/03/madonna_vs_mari.html

:thumbsdown:

Edited by madonnacelebration

Guest SuperBriGuy

we belong together was cheated off the top position. we belong together missed the top spot in july 05 by 300 copies or something like that. i bet someone last minute put in that extra 300 something so they could keep mimi off the top spot. its a conspiracy. i mean 1000 copies sound ok but 300 something. if madonna fans are smug about this( madonna only fans not both diva supporters) then remember all the times that madge faliled to get the top spot on billboard hot 100 while the song peaked at 2. both diva's are being twarted.

Where were you at? WBT was a number 1 hit in the U.S. for 14 weeks. It became her biggest hit since "One Sweet Day." Perhaps you mean another country...?

Anyways, I don't foresee Mariah's set moving all that well. Like a few people have said, look at how E=MC2 did...and that was after a lot of hype, a three-year hiatus, and a number one hit. MOAIA has Obsessed. Which was such a lackluster choice for a leadoff single. She should've gone with a Timbaland song...

And I have ceased to worry about Madonna's career. That woman is doing fine. I'm REALLY wanting to see what direction she goes in when her deal with LN kicks in. Now THAT will be interesting. Celebration will end up doing well, regardless of the country or region it's released in...and if "Revolver" becomes the hit that I think it can be, it will only fare the better.

Guest madgefan02

Where were you at? WBT was a number 1 hit in the U.S. for 14 weeks. It became her biggest hit since "One Sweet Day." Perhaps you mean another country...?

Anyways, I don't foresee Mariah's set moving all that well. Like a few people have said, look at how E=MC2 did...and that was after a lot of hype, a three-year hiatus, and a number one hit. MOAIA has Obsessed. Which was such a lackluster choice for a leadoff single. She should've gone with a Timbaland song...

And I have ceased to worry about Madonna's career. That woman is doing fine. I'm REALLY wanting to see what direction she goes in when her deal with LN kicks in. Now THAT will be interesting. Celebration will end up doing well, regardless of the country or region it's released in...and if "Revolver" becomes the hit that I think it can be, it will only fare the better.

i was speaking about wbt in the uk charts.

• 3 weeks later...

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over (Janet Jackson does too).Every album has the same,dull R&B sound,featuring the same boring topics.I can't tell one Mariah album from the next.She takes no chances.Her songs are predictable,the same crap you've heard from her many times before.

I just heard her new single "I Want To Know What Love Is" and it put me to sleep.Another overblown remake,with a choir.Wow,how original! Thank God that Madonna tries new things with her music.Her albums don't all sound alike.

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over (Janet Jackson does too).Every album has the same,dull R&B sound,featuring the same boring topics.I can't tell one Mariah album from the next.She takes no chances.Her songs are predictable,the same crap you've heard from her many times before.

couldn't agree more!!! :thumbsup:

Guest dicktracy

Mariah Carey, "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" (Island) [1.5 OUT OF 4 STARS]

By Jim DeRogatis on September 25, 2009 9:48 AM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBacks (0)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/derogatis/2009/09/mariah_carey_memoirs_of_an_imp.html

"You a mom and pop; I'm a corporation," Mariah Carey sings on "Obsessed," the groovy ode to a stalker that's been released as the first single from her 12th album. Ostensibly a dis of Eminem, who's been taking shots at her on his last few discs, it's actually an apt statement for her entire career, which is more often lauded in terms of sales--160 million albums sold worldwide, the best-selling female performer of the '90s, recipient of an $80 million mega-deal with Virgin Records that was the biggest record contract ever, etc.--than artistic accomplishments. Now we can add the crass marketing of her new disc, which finds the CD packaged with a 34-page insert crafted with Elle magazine featuring ads from upscale fashion, champagne, jewelry and tourism brands.

"The idea was really simple thinking: 'We sell millions of records, so you should advertise with us,'" said Antonio "L.A." Reid, chairman of Carey's current label, Island/Def Jam. In other words, the star with the infamous five-octave range essentially is a commodity, so why not use her to sell other products besides her recordings?

Carey's boosters in the media (Elle included, of course) and the legions of self-professed "lambs" who comprise her fan base are hailing "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel" as a return to her R&B roots and a move away from the transparent and base attempts to score street cred and appeal to the teeny-boppers with a more hip-hop-oriented sound on "The Emancipation of Mimi" (her 2005 comeback after a series of flops and a much-publicized personal meltdown early in the new millennium) and "E=MC2" (her last release in 2008). This is true to a point: Working with producers the Dream and Tricky Stewart, the once again happily married Mrs. Nick Cannon delivers an overall smoother sound this time, much heavier on brash ballads and genteel slow jams than dance-floor groovers, with the first single a notable exception.

But to consider this a great R&B record requires one to think of the likes of her favorites Jodeci as the pinnacle of the genre, because the fussy, soulless, airless vibe that dominates the album doesn't have much to do with true R&B greats from Aretha Franklin to Erykah Badu. Carey's former and present chart rival Whitney Houston actually comes closer to tapping that storied vein on her latest.

Though the 39-year-old Carey boasts of distinguishing herself from other divas by being the driving force behind writing her own songs--unlike Houston--that isn't necessarily something to be proud of, given the predominance of saccharine melodies and clichéd true-romance lyrics. "We would walk in the park every Saturday/Brand new, all in love, kissing time away/You was all up on me, it was plain to see/That I was your girl," she coos in "Candy Bling." Yet even that dreck is better than her choice in covers here: a version of the hoary FM-rock radio staple "I Want to Know What Love Is" that strips away almost everything but piano and vocals but still manages to sound more bombastic, phony and over-produced than the Foreigner original.

Through it all, as usual, Carey over-sings at every opportunity, needlessly trilling up and down the scales as if we needed one more reminder of why she's the favorite virtuoso of the "American Idol" crowd substituting skill for soul. Eminem isn't right about much, but he's spot on when it comes to dismissing this butterfly.

WOW!

I'M SO GLAD MADONNA IS NOT THAT DESPERATE.... ALL THE MONEY FROM HER TOURS WILL HOPEFULLY KEEP HER FROM DOING THIS.