Young people rate Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stones higher than M in survey

Guest chatty kathy

Guest chatty kathy

Young people rate Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stones higher than Madonna in survey

August 12, 11:37 AMVintage Rock 'n' Roll

By: Steve Marinucci

A new survey by Pew Research Center seems to indicate that young people are more fond of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles and even Frank Sinatra than they are of Madonna, Nirvana and Kanye West.

Titled "Forty Years After Woodstock, A Gentler Generation Gap," it says that despite the big differences between younger and older adults in their values, use of technology, work ethic, and respect and tolerance for others, this modern generation gap is more subdued than the one that raged in the 1960s. As the survey says, the generations appear to have found a way to disagree without being disagreeable.

While rock 'n' roll was a big source of conflict in many homes in the '60s, today 65% of respondents say they listen to rock either often or sometimes.

Even more interesting is who they listen to. Topping the first five spots were the Beatles, the Eagles, Johnny Cash, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. Next comes the Stones, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks.

Among all the various age groups, the Beatles place in the top five among each, placing second among ages 16-29, third among 30-49, first among 50-64 and fourth among ages 65 and older.

Madonna placed 17th among the youngest group and no higher than 10th in any group. Kanye West placed fifth among ages 16-29.

Of course, surveys are all relative and many variables enter into them. But to see the Beatles and other vintage acts placing so well must warm the hearts of longtime music fans.

And the guys who pocket the money from us.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-19248-Vintage-Rock-n-Roll-Examiner~y2009m8d12-Young-people-rate-Beatles-Elvis-Presley-Stones-higher-than-Madonna-in-survey

I've always thought of Pew's Research as some of the truest and best in the past.

But Madonna and 17, and no higher than 10?

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that one.

Guest waiting

I'm not surprised. I'm within that age group I know hardly anyone who listens to her... many don't consider her to be a true musician. Its tough for Madonna, those who are into garbage are into real garbage like Ciara yet those with better tastes are into rock/indie/oldies music.

Madonna has made better pop songs than any of the other artists on that list besides actually being exciting and interesting both on and off stage. No survey needed to tell me that.

I know hardly anyone who listens to her... many don't consider her to be a true musician.

ditto!

most of the people associate Madonna with controversy, not with music, thinking of her as of a whore, which is kinda sad, actually. And let's not forget that MANY people on this Earth are sexist and ageist.

Guest seancannon

Madonna will be remembered for iconic images, not her music....or her acting. Perhaps Ray of Light would be mentioned as her opus. The reason for this is that Madonna is an "experience" whereas The Beatles or the Stones are meant to be listened to and nothing more. Madonna is one man circus all in one so of course she wouldn't be rated high as a "musician".

^ Well That is true.

But Lyrics like "My Sugar Is Raw!" shouldnt Make Songs like "Oh Father, Like a Prayer, Take a Bow, etc..."

become totally ignored.

Madonna Has Made Some INCREDIBLE MUSIC.

But Then Again, if shes only known for LAV and 4 Minutes... oh well. :dramatic:

Lyrics like "see my booty get down like UH" don't exactly help her credibility as a musical artist :D

unlike credible lyrics such as

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Someone to love,

Somebody new.

Someone to love,

Someone like you.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Yeah, love me do.

Whoa, oh, love me do

here's the full list...

rankk.png

no prince, u2, elton john

side note....

results for underwood,carey,cash,brooks,and eagles come from a separate survey.

Surveys and polls are usually given to the people to show the favorable outcome you're hoping to get. For instance, if Bill O'Reilly was to take a poll on what his viewers think of him, he will definitely get a far more favorable outcome on FOX or from his show, then anywhere else. Certainly, he will have a group of people that won't rate him too highly, but the majority who can't stand him and will sit through his nonsense a whole hour to catch a poll he's conducting is rare. It's not like Bill O'Reilly is going to go to CNN, conduct that same poll to get a favorable outcome!

It's quite possible, the people they surveyed are FAR TOO familiar with Madonna compared to the other artists. Furthermore, the younger people weren't around when these other acts were hugely famous as Madonna still is. So they are able to actually appreciate them for what they actually produced, rather the media always inserting their opinion of them. At this time, Madonna still gains a lot of big headlines and usually they are not favorable to her, so no doubt people are going to be persuaded to think less of her than the others who aren't portrayed negatively.

Undoubtedly, some people were not crazy about M's button-pushing back in the day. I've heard a lot of people say, "I like her music, but not HER." lol I wouldn't have it any other way- it's not about being Miss Popularity but cementing your status and making music (and everything that goes along with it) that left an incomparable impact.

The survey really doesn't address the music per se, anyhow, but whether respondents liked the acts in question, and to what degree. So ,it's a tad misleadisays the survey answers a question like, "Is the music of the '60s really better than anything else in living memory, or is that just a conceit of the preening baby boomers who grew up on it?"

Surveys and polls are usually given to the people to show the favorable outcome you're hoping to get. For instance, if Bill O'Reilly was to take a poll on what his viewers think of him, he will definitely get a far more favorable outcome on FOX or from his show, then anywhere else. Certainly, he will have a group of people that won't rate him too highly, but the majority who can't stand him and will sit through his nonsense a whole hour to catch a poll he's conducting is rare. It's not like Bill O'Reilly is going to go to CNN, conduct that same poll to get a favorable outcome!

You are aware that the whole point of conducting a survey is having a random sampling of people thats REPRESENTATIVE of the entire group of people that are being surveyed right?

unlike credible lyrics such as

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Someone to love,

Somebody new.

Someone to love,

Someone like you.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Love, love me do.

You know I love you,

I'll always be true,

So please, love me do.

Whoa, love me do.

Yeah, love me do.

Whoa, oh, love me do

You do know that was one of the first songs Lennon-McCartney ever wrote, right? When they were 16 and 18...so you can't really hold it up as any kind of example.

So odd. She was compared to 60´s bands, doesn´t make any sense.

Actually, the survey included bands and artists from all genres and decades. Of course, if the result shows three of the biggest bands/artists more popular than another popular artist, they are going to make a huge deal about it.

Anyway, I am not worried about Madonna's legacy in music. She will definitely be remember for a long time to come.

Guest waiting

You are aware that the whole point of conducting a survey is having a random sampling of people thats REPRESENTATIVE of the entire group of people that are being surveyed right?

He can't see you; he has you on IGNORE. :chuckle:

so you can't really hold it up as any kind of example.

nor can you use the single line "see my booty get down like UH" as an example for her not having any credibility.

not that he's saying she doesnt have any credibility at all.

not you....i was referring to the original quote that i responded to.

You did quote me...it's understandable that I thought that was directed at me.

But as it is, I always thought "see my booty get down like UH" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Like any highly revered act, The Beatles had some light songs- nothing wrong in that- theirs are among the best of that kind, too.

Again, the survey wasn't so much about their viewpoints on the music per se or what they thought of them as musicmakers, but whether these people liked the acts or not (and how much)- two different animals, perhaps.

Guest dicktracy

Lyrics like "see my booty get down like UH" don't exactly help her credibility as a musical artist :D

"A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido...yeah" - Kurt Cobain, musical genius :)