Young people rate Beatles, Elvis Presley, Stones higher than M in survey

Guest chatty kathy

I'm not surprised. I'm within that age group I know hardly anyone who listens to her... many don't consider her to be a true musician. Its tough for Madonna, those who are into garbage are into real garbage like Ciara yet those with better tastes are into rock/indie/oldies music.

hair.gif

Excuse me?

Lets keep it cute please.

Ciara is a beautiful/talented R&B performer, her music is anything but garbage!

have a seat please.

Thanks

Okay, I'll bite. Why do you think that the music of the 60s is not better than what came after. Not flaming here, just curious.

Well, I will admit that the music of the 60s is better than rap and hip-hop, which, to me, are the lowest forms of music.

However, I get tired of classic rock and soul, especially that of the 60s and 70s, continually being held up as the highest forms of popular music. Even after the 60s and up through the present day, the most critically acclaimed music acts seem to be the ones that are rooted in--or evolutions of--that sound: such as Bruce Springsteen, U2, Nirvana, and other alternative rock bands--and NeoSoul artists like Lauren Hill, Alicia Keyes, Nora Jones, etc.

Now, if you like the sound of classic rock--white males with guitars--or of 60s/70s-era soul--Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, and their musical descendants--then you are probably happy with this pervasive critical template.

If you don't, however, the prevalence of 60s-centrism gets tiresome.

As for myself, I just don't like the sound of electric guitars. Instead, I prefer keyboards, which I believe can offer a wider and more interesting aural palate. Likewise, I just don't like the vocal style of soul and R&B music, especially that with lots of runs and ornamentation. Instead, I like a more minimalist vocal style in which the voice closely follows the melody. Those are some of the reasons why I like later pop music better than 60s-era rock or soul. Finally, I like dance music--the energy and euphoria that it embodies, which I just don't find in most 60s-era music of the classic rock/soul variety.

So, to me, disco, the New Romantics, 80s dance-pop, and contemporary dance and electronica music are just more aurally appealing to me. I also prefer song lyrics that are more playful and clever rather than serious and self-important. And that is also why I prefer many later forms of pop music over that of the 60s.