Madonna and US Radio

Etips

the two tims have released dance music and had no1's - they were not in the vein of hung up/sorry but still its not the style of music. rihanna has released some dance singles and they were huge. over the last years quite a lot of younger artists and "urban-r'n'b" artists have released dance/electro songs and have done well.

madonna's music is not freaky. i dont see how or why americans cant relate to it. too many people talk as if she comes out with something really strange.

4 minutes was only played because of jt. without him i doubt it would have done any better than hung up.

take a bow was almost 15 years ago. she was younger. miles away is not something totally alien. its just a pop song which could cross any culture. theres nothing gypsy in it. its so universal.

its about time us radio started playing more artists and open up a bit. its changed a lot since 2006 - its been ok to do pop and dance music now. techno/electro/dance has influenced a lot of urban and r'n'b artists now. i read somewhere that timbaland has done a remake of darude sandstorm.

who said dance music does nt sell? if it sells, they should play it on radio too.

I just wanted to add that so many like to say that it was the two Tim's who got “4 Minutes” on the radio, but would their presence on songs like “Sorry” or “Jump” (with the same production, style) made those songs be as well received? I think songs like 4M and “Take a Bow” are harrowing examples that radio will play Madonna when she gives them something not so contrary to everything else on their playlist. I think Madonna's gypsy attitude when it comes to her music often scares or underwhelms commercial top 40 radio, then add her age on top of it, and they probably feel like their listeners won't able to relate to her.

the two tims have released dance music and had no1's - they were not in the vein of hung up/sorry but still its not the style of music.

The two Tim's are popular at radio. They can get away with coming out of left field with a dance song, and have it be embraced. It wasn't their dance music, though, that brought them their clout.

rihanna has released some dance singles and they were huge. over the last years quite a lot of younger artists and "urban-r'n'b" artists have released dance/electro songs and have done well.

Acts like Rihanna, Chris Brown, Neyo, Beyoncé are at the height of their fame. They too can get away with sporadically releasing stand alone dance music, in amongst the rest of their music. Neyo's fans won't turn on him for one "Closer." If he started only releasing songs like that, though, he may stand to alienate people. It's not his bread and butter, nor is it the the foundation of what makes him popular with audiences.

madonna's music is not freaky. i dont see how or why americans cant relate to it. too many people talk as if she comes out with something really strange.

I didn't say that her music was 'freaky.' I said that she tends to be stylistically out of sync with the general tastes of commercial audiences in the US, and that it has as much to do with her resistance at radio as her age is.

4 minutes was only played because of jt. without him i doubt it would have done any better than hung up.

Oh for petesake. If Justin had some sort of magic touch, then he should have gotten Reba McIntyre and Duran Duran airplay too. His duet with Ciara was well received, but didn't match the success of 4M. Hell, some of Justin's own music has failed to do the same business as 4M. Insisting that 4M was played on the radio, or that it was only a success, because of him is a transparent attempt by some Madonna fans who don't like the song to separate her from it.

take a bow was almost 15 years ago. she was younger.

She was the same age when "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature" failed to go top forty immediately after. She was even younger when "Bad Girl" barely did. US radio doesn't hate Madonna like some believe. It just doesn't always connect with her direction, and probably assumes that much of it would be met with an underwhelmed reaction from their listeners. While I do think that those assumptions tend to be too automatic and prejudiced, I also think that there is probably some truth in it too.

In 2001 when the Drowned World Tour was about to begin, the local station here were giving away tickets. When a caller asked why the station didn't play her music more, the disc jockey cynically remarked that she's doing techno now (as opposed to making a crack about her age.) I think that's the general attitude that disconnects Madonna and radio. Of course they don't like her age, but it's more than that.

miles away is not something totally alien. its just a pop song which could cross any culture. theres nothing gypsy in it. its so universal.

"Miles Away" had the burden of following the flop that was "Give It 2 Me," and worst of all not being promoted at all. The song wouldn't have been my first choice for a single…but it is radio friendly enough. Had Madonna/WB bothered to try and promote it at all, I could easily see it being able to go top twenty with the right push. They didn't, so it flopped. No one knew about the release except hardcore Madonna fans. Hits don't make themselves.

its about time us radio started playing more artists and open up a bit. its changed a lot since 2006 - its been ok to do pop and dance music now. techno/electro/dance has influenced a lot of urban and r'n'b artists now.

Very debatable. As I mentioned earlier, young R&B acts at the height of their fame can get away with an intermittent dance song every now and then, sandwiched in between their more standard singles. Their popularity gives the leverage to momentarily step outside of their usual container with something uncharacteristic without it being automatically shunned. However, with the exception of Rihanna (who is so all over the place with what she does that it wouldn't be totally accurate to put a concrete "R&B" label on her) I can't think of too many who do it with enough frequently that it proves much. Madonna is not in True Blue-era anymore. Her challenging the status quo with overstated dance and/or electronic music has a greater potential to be rejected.

who said dance music does nt sell? if it sells, they should play it on radio too.

Country sells, but doesn't get exceptional airplay outside country formatted stations. The Eagles sell, but they don't get played. American Idol winners debut singles sell, but radio tends to be very cynical about putting it on. There's always been somewhat of a disconnect between what sells and what plays on the radio.

Guest bluejean

Oh for petesake. If Justin had some sort of magic touch, then he should have gotten Reba McIntyre and Duran Duran airplay too. His duet with Ciara was well received, but didn't match the success of 4M. Hell, some of Justin's own music has failed to do the same business as 4M. Insisting that 4M was played on the radio, or that it was only a success, because of him is a transparent attempt by some Madonna fans who don't like the song to separate her from it.

Well, what you say is true. But i do think the Justin and Timbaland connection brought alot more attention to it. And it was a catchier songs than the others you mentioned. So all those factors weighed up to make a hit. And beside that, wasn't the songs success based upon sales more than airplay?

Guest bluejean

Well, what you say is true. But i do think the Justin and Timbaland connection brought alot more attention to it. And it was a catchier songs than the others you mentioned. So all those factors weighed up to make a hit. And beside that, wasn't the songs success based upon sales more than airplay?

The Madonna factor probably helped 4M do better than a track by, say, a Ciara, that had Timberlake on it. But, who in their right mind would say that4M was as successful as it was ONLY or mostly because of Madonna? Come on now. It's not her best track by far, but it's OK and fine for mass consumption, and it did real well for her.

As said, though, she hasn't had an enduring solo huit in the USA in more than eight years. So we really shouldn't be all that shocked by radio's resistance to new Madge tracks these days (especially mainstream top 40).

She needs a mayjah comeback radio hit like Cher had with 'Believe' :lmao:

The Madonna factor probably helped 4M do better than a track by, say, a Ciara, that had Timberlake on it. But, who in their right mind would say that4M was as successful as it was ONLY or mostly because of Madonna? Come on now. It's not her best track by far, but it's OK and fine for mass consumption, and it did real well for her.

As said, though, she hasn't had an enduring solo huit in the USA in more than eight years. So we really shouldn't be all that shocked by radio's resistance to new Madge tracks these days (especially mainstream top 40).

Well, I'm convinced 4 Minutes wouldn't have done half as well as it did without Timbaland and Timberlake behind it, especially in the U.S. I mean; it is her biggest selling single to date next to Vogue. Though, I am sure without Timbaland and Timberlake it wouldn't have done so well. And honestly, the track probably would have never existed.

I know that I shouldn't be surprised that "Celebration" is getting the cold shoulder right now. (I'm still hoping that in the next couple of weeks or so, the song will rebound with the video and a little more promotion). It's just a jolt to a Madonna fan to see her first single drop so quickly on ITUNES when her previous lead singles did much better. And I just feel like that no one (even Madonna) is even making any effort to get this song played or heard.

I know Madonna is on tour, but surely she could make some calls to radio stations and do a live feed. She could also include "Celebration" in her shows to drum up a bit of publicity. Though, I'm not sure if it matters being the publicity is much needed in the U.S., not in Europe.

I've learned to not have "high hopes" for Madonna's new songs to do well in the U.S., but this is quite ridiculous. I really don't see why "Celebration" cannot fit on U.S. radio today. With the resurgent of pop/dance music lately, I'd think her song would fit right in. And I can't help much of this is due to her age. Most radio stations will not play her new stuff and laugh if you request. I'm sure some would respond; "I'm not playing that old hag's music on my station!" It's been referenced before, so no doubt it won't be any different now.

Guest nothingfails0603

its about time us radio started playing more artists and open up a bit. its changed a lot since 2006 - its been ok to do pop and dance music now. techno/electro/dance has influenced a lot of urban and r'n'b artists now. i read somewhere that timbaland has done a remake of darude sandstorm

Blame radio for not adapting. It just doesn't accept that the days of rap dominating everything is over and that they should let it go the way they were quick to drop pop in 2001-2002. Funny that airplay is still dominated by songs like Keri Hilson who are #20 on sales. That's a major discrepancy IMO.

Guest thunderbeat

....ahoy guys I'm from south africa and I was watching an MTV special - done by US presenters - to celebtrate powerfull independent women in music....and Beoynce was number 1....WTF!!! I think the US had it with Madonna radio or no radio - but who cares...it's who she is and not her age or her type of music or the marketing.....it's who she is and not her age or her type of music or the marketing.....it's who she is and not her age or her type of music or the marketing.....everything is fake in US...and she's not....and they can't allow her to have a voice...so they choose to ignore her cause she is everything that they are not...all other female artist play by the rules

Guest nothingfails0603

Another thing about radio I noticed that needs to change is their incessant need to court 12 year olds. Teenagers are the people who never buy music and are at an age they have no recollection of ever going to the store and buying music... they download everything for free. Statistics show that people over 25 are more likely to legally support an artist than teenagers... considering they're hoping to SELL albums, wouldn't it make sense that radio decides "oh if you're 12, fuck off and listen to Radio Disney" and get off their boycott of older artists and court those who have proven themselves loyal as customers?

Another thing about radio I noticed that needs to change is their incessant need to court 12 year olds. Teenagers are the people who never buy music and are at an age they have no recollection of ever going to the store and buying music... they download everything for free. Statistics show that people over 25 are more likely to legally support an artist than teenagers... considering they're hoping to SELL albums, wouldn't it make sense that radio decides "oh if you're 12, fuck off and listen to Radio Disney" and get off their boycott of older artists and court those who have proven themselves loyal as customers?

But radio has always catered to the youngsters. It's easy for us to wish they would stop catering to them because we are older and radio doesn't fit our style anymore unless we listen to the more adult contemporary stations. We hadn't an issue that they catered to us when we were younger, so why must we get upset now?

But I agree that U.S. society is fixated on YOUTH when it comes to entertainment. I don't mind seeing all these young acts, but when you have acts who have started out as teens or in their 20's and have successfully produced hit after hit, and are still able to make great music throughout their 40's and 50's, but radio stops playing them because they hit a certain age is just completely ridiculous.

Actually, I don't believe teens are the biggest group of people who are downloading music for free. Yes, they are doing it, but the fact that Miley Cyrus can put out a single one day and in that same day it goes to #1 on the most popular digital music seller (ITUNES), proves that either teens are the buying market for music or we have a lot of old folks digging her music as well. And highly doubt the latter is true!

I think people should get over the whole thing. Radio will never be on Madonna's side.

Her only option in scoring hits in the future relies on downloads. Now if only billboard would give radio less power.

I think people should get over the whole thing. Radio will never be on Madonna's side.

Her only option in scoring hits in the future relies on downloads. Now if only billboard would give radio less power.

While I agree that it's probably best we realize Madonna isn't going to be a radio favorite anymore, but for a lot of us who grew up listening her on radio, knowing the fact they played the shit out anything she released, it's quite frustrating to see that they won't do the same now. I really do believe much of the music radio snubbed in this last decade from Madonna would have been played to death 20 years ago when anything she released got airplay. "Celebration" is just as good as any other mediocre hit on radio today.

"Celebration" is just as good as any other mediocre hit on radio today.

But that's the point. I don't want Madonna to make mediocre music like the rest of the hits on the radio today. I want her to make something amazing that blows my mind. She has made some great records that were snubbed by radio such as Bedtime Story, Nothing Really Matters and Hollywood, but Celebration isn't on a par with those so I can't get too upset about it not being on the radio.

But that's the point. I don't want Madonna to make mediocre music like the rest of the hits on the radio today. I want her to make something amazing that blows my mind. She has made some great records that were snubbed by radio such as Bedtime Story, Nothing Really Matters and Hollywood, but Celebration isn't on a par with those so I can't get too upset about it not being on the radio.

I was downplaying it some... I actually think the song is great. It's just as fun as her older hits like "Holiday", "Into The Groove", etc., yet has the touch of what is heard today on radio. My point was that there are so many other mediocre hits that get played and I think this songs even better.

I was downplaying it some... I actually think the song is great. It's just as fun as her older hits like "Holiday", "Into The Groove", etc., yet has the touch of what is heard today on radio. My point was that there are so many other mediocre hits that get played and I think this songs even better.

Are you talking about US radio? I wont disagree that C is a very summery fun song but its LIGHT years away from anything on US radio. And NO, Rihanna or Lady GaGa dont sound ANYTHING like it.

Anyone who thinks that 4 Minutes would have been even close to the hit it was without Justin Timberlake is out of their damn minds. Sorry Etips. Madonna alone is kind of a recipe for flops right now. But Madonna WITH someone else is different. That's what seperates her from acts like Ciara - she's a well known name who radio wouldn't give a shit about UNLESS her name was attached to a radio darling. Reba Mcintire? Duran Duran? Has beens. Madonna may not be played on the radio anymore but she's definitely not a has been. She's more famous than ever, still an a-list artist with a lot of hype still roaring behind her. Of course a collaboration with Justin's skinny ass was going to make some noise. Sure hte song being an instant hit helped, but to compare the situation to Ciara is ludicrous (who btw, wouldn't have been played very much either had it not been for Justin's presence on the track. That girl was flopping ALL OVER THE PLACE before that song came out. She finally managed to get a top 20 hit because of Justina. FACT.)

I expect "Revolver" will get more airplay in the U.S ONLY because Lil Wayne is on the track.

4 MINUTES was a radio hit only because Mr Timberlake was involved.

Mainstream Top 40 U.S radio isn't interested in solo Madonna stuff these days, and Lady Gaga kinda fills up their quota of pop/dance.

I agree with you!

The arrogance that the Europeans have on this board simply because their radio plays Madonna with more frequency than the U.S. has always alarmed me. :lmao:

I mean, really?

The europeans think that the radio doesn't play Madonna at all in the US.

Actually, her old hits are being played way more in the US than in Europe. Do u remember last year in Austria where nobody knew the lyrics of Dress You Up? Songs like Dress You Up an Borderline are anthems in the US but not in Europe.

I think it's too safe to just blame her age

I think it's a combination of;

• the "American Life" incident
  • too restless and youth-oriented culture (radio always wants to appeal to the youth... but in the US it seems almost extreme)
    and sadly;
  • the fact that Madonna is seen as a gay icon... which unfortunately seems to turn some radio programmers off and again this seem to be a cultural issue, just as the youth thing.