A "Celebration" Of Madonna Music

Guest Borderline

It's a shallow victory to have AP be one of her biggest hits because it ain't even her own damn song. And it's not like she remade a minor hit, she remade a fucking TIMELESS hit that EVERYONE adores. Automatically: her version = irrelevant.

Take that space and give it to a track that DESERVES it.

timeless for who?

UK & US?? the rest of the world doesn't count as usual or what?

and she made this song her OWN and it was huge whether you like it or not..

and people outside those countries, especially people that are younger barely knew the original in the first place

don't forget that Madonna is an international artist and her biggest market for the past decade was EUROPE and not the USA...

so excluding one of her biggest worldwide hits to date just because it wasn't a hit in the US or whatever and just because it happens to be a cover.. of a "classic" that not the whole world knew in the first place.. is a commercially DUMB thing to do...

also it happens to be one of the best made covers to date... because it actually doesn't even feel like a cover...

then Hung Up shouldn't be included aswell because it is based on a sample of a timeless worldwide classic... but HU was also huge.. but let's exclude that one aswell just for the sake of it..

You know that AP was nearly as huge as HU in many countries?

I actually like Madonna's version of American Pie, though i agree it shouldn't be on the compilation. There isn't enough room on 2 discs for the essential hits as is.

Madonna has been around for 2,5 decades

in one of those decades AP was one of her 5 biggest worldwide hits

making a career spanning GH out of all decades.. and not just a 80's hits collection.. obviously you should collect the biggest hits from each decade

excluding AP means that you leave one of the biggest hits from the 2nd decade

it would be like excluding one of the big 80's hits aswell..

not very logical

Guest Danny86
so excluding one of her biggest worldwide hits to date just because it wasn't a hit in the US or whatever and just because it happens to be a cover.. of a "classic" that not the whole world knew in the first place.. is a commercially DUMB thing to do...

It was indeed commercially dumb to leave it off of GHV2 (or more exactly, to include "WIFLFAG" over it :manson:), but not for a 2009 compilation. It WAS a big hit in the first half of 2000 but then "Music" pushed it aside, it was one of her "quick" hits. What I'm trying to say, if "AP" would be on Celebration, it would not mean higher sales, because I doubt anyone would be looking for this track in particular.

And actually, Madonna has a few other hits like this: "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" was her biggest hit between 1990 and 1998 in Europe, it's one of her three French #1s, yet it never had any lasting appeal and was widely considered as a novelty hit for her. Or there's "True Blue", which is her 7th biggest selling UK hit (assuming "HU" overtook it since last year), but any fan could list 30-35 Madonna singles that should come before it, regardless of sales. "Express Yourself" didn't even sell half of what "TB" did in the UK, but that certainly does not make "EY" less important. So just because a track sold a lot and topped dozens of charts during its time, it doesn't automatically make it a definite choice for a GH in 2009.

"Ray Of Light" never topped any chart (other than Hot Dance :dramatic:), but who would leave it off from a career spanning Madonna GH, even from a single disc version?

It was indeed commercially dumb to leave it off of GHV2 (or more exactly, to include "WIFLFAG" over it :manson:), but not for a 2009 compilation. It WAS a big hit in the first half of 2000 but then "Music" pushed it aside, it was one of her "quick" hits. What I'm trying to say, if "AP" would be on Celebration, it would not mean higher sales, because I doubt anyone would be looking for this track in particular.

And actually, Madonna has a few other hits like this: "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" was her biggest hit between 1990 and 1998 in Europe, it's one of her three French #1s, yet it never had any lasting appeal and was widely considered as a novelty hit for her. Or there's "True Blue", which is her 7th biggest selling UK hit (assuming "HU" overtook it since last year), but any fan could list 30-35 Madonna singles that should come before it, regardless of sales. "Express Yourself" didn't even sell half of what "TB" did in the UK, but that certainly does not make "EY" less important. So just because a track sold a lot and topped dozens of charts during its time, it doesn't automatically make it a definite choice for a GH in 2009.

"Ray Of Light" never topped any chart (other than Hot Dance :dramatic:), but who would leave it off from a career spanning Madonna GH, even from a single disc version?

Well... American Pie is still getting quite alot airplay all over Europe

DCFMA was never such a big hit... maybe in just random markets but not as a whole

I never said that EY or ROL should be exluded though.. there's room for them all for different reasons... they are all songs that were hits or will be remembered as Madonna songs in one way or another..

but AP was huge and made an impact for Madonna... More than most of her releses during the past 10 years..

It was almost as huge as HU... and with that I don't mean a quick #1.. but a song that is still played all around over the original version, because in Europe in general no one really cared for that one...

Guest Danny86
Well... American Pie is still getting quite alot airplay all over Europe

DCFMA was never such a big hit... maybe in just random markets but not as a whole

I never said that EY or ROL should be exluded though.. there's room for them all for different reasons... they are all songs that were hits or will be remembered as Madonna songs in one way or another..

but AP was huge and made an impact for Madonna... More than most of her releses during the past 10 years..

It was almost as huge as HU... and with that I don't mean a quick #1.. but a song that is still played all around over the original version, because in Europe in general no one really cared for that one...

Well, "DCFMA" hit the top 3 in the major European markets late 1996, I believe that's a bigger achievement than hitting #1 in February/March 2000 (not to mention being a Canadian #1 and a US top 10 hit). Also, "AP" only went to #8 in France, so it was definitely not a "Hung Up" level of success that topped every major chart except America. Let's also not forget the fact that "AP" came after ROL when Madonna was invincible, while "DCFMA" followed certain "flop" eras, and like I said, it was her biggest hit since pre-Erotica.

I'm not denying the success of "AP", I just said those other examples, since other songs will come first because they had bigger impact even if they sold less, or peaked lower. If you compile all those songs, "AP" most likely would not be in her top 30 most important singles today.

Well, "DCFMA" hit the top 3 in the major European markets late 1996, I believe that's a bigger achievement than hitting #1 in February/March 2000 (not to mention being a Canadian #1 and a US top 10 hit). Also, "AP" only went to #8 in France, so it was definitely not a "Hung Up" level of success that topped every major chart except America. Let's also not forget the fact that "AP" came after ROL when Madonna was invincible, while "DCFMA" followed certain "flop" eras, and like I said, it was her biggest hit since pre-Erotica.

I'm not denying the success of "AP", I just said those other examples, since other songs will come first because they had bigger impact even if they sold less, or peaked lower. If you compile all those songs, "AP" most likely would not be in her top 30 most important singles today.

Well.. I never said though that other more important singles should be excluded to make place for AP though... never did

I just said that AP should be there for obvious reasons...

as for being/not being one of her top 30 most important singles I don't know really... have to comeback to that

but most of her all time biggest hits were in the 80's... but being a career spanning GH... it has to be somewhat balanced and therefor it would not be very smart to leave out one of her few biggest hits from the last decade... because then it will be not very balanced.. which it probably won't be anyways

Here are some more M's Greatest Hits related news for our readers.

The remixes for the first single off the package, Celebration, are signed by Benny Benassi, Chris Lake, Felguk, Johnny Vicious and of course the producer of the original track Paul Oakenfold. As for the special guest of the video we mentioned a few days ago, we can now report it's the lovely Lourdes Leon herself. Madonna's daughter will make her debut in her mum's Celebration music video.

We have also been told that Warner and Madonna's camp are very happy with the positive buzz surrounding Celebration and planning the release of the second single off the GH. Revolver, the second new song contained in the new compilation, will be released as the second single sometime in September 2009.

Sometimes we forget that, even though "Billboard" determines the hits, it's not the final say in who remembers a hit song. For instance, most of my friends recognize "What It Feels Like For A Girl," which "only" peaked at #23 on the Hot 100, but got as high as #15 on Radio & Records' CHR/Pop Top 40, which was the basis for the Top 40 radio shows that most people listened to (KC's Top 40, Rick Dees, etc.) Sometimes, looking at their chart archives gives a better idea of what was a hit for Madonna. "Nothing Really Matters," a flop at #93 on the Hot 100, actually made it to #20 on R&R.

I'm NOT saying that WIFLFAG or NRM are timeless Madonna classics, nor am I suggesting that Radio & Records was more reputable than "Billboard." Merely that those songs were played on Pop radio and are known to people who listened to pop radio at that time.

Same thing with "Beautiful Stranger," which peaked at a respectable #19 on Hot 100, but was a Top 10 smash at #7 on the KC's Top 40 countdown.

and she made this song her OWN and it was huge whether you like it or not..

:lmao: In your dreams.

People think of American Pie and I can almost guarantee that NO ONE other than the GHEYS immediately think of the Madonna version, they all think of the Don McClean one. FACT.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
:lmao: In your dreams.

People think of American Pie and I can almost guarantee that NO ONE other than the GHEYS immediately think of the Madonna version, they all think of the Don McClean one. FACT.

Yes.

Madonna's one is a distant memory, and on the odd occasion, even laughed at.

Leave it off the GH. She has enough of her OWN material to fill that thing up with without resorting to average covers of average famous songs.

Personally, I prefer Madonna's version of "American Pie," but that's only because I like her voice, and I don't care for Don McLean's. However, I don't care too much if the song is left off her forthcoming collection.

But does anybody really know this song outside of the US&UK? I'm talking about the original version of course.

I knew about Don McClean's song because i spent a few years living in the USA but none of my friends from Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru knew about this song...

I do agree with you though, AP shouldn't be on this GH...

Don McClean was pretty happy with M's version, mostly for the new fame that was on the song and on him (plus there was a teen film released with the same name, which he thought helped him too)

American Pie shouldn't have even been made in the first place. Sry. Leave it off because any version of it is a crap version.

And I lived overseas during the time American Pie was popular and years after it wasn't. It never seemed like the hit Zezwer made it out to be. Music left it in the dust.

PRECISELY!

And in terms of AP being known OUTSIDE of the US/UK -- I'm sure there are still a few select fans who recall it being such a substantial hit, but how many of them still hold it in any kind of esteem? I think you'll find that most of said fans were much more gung-ho about a "Hung Up" or "Music" to even care about the whole "American Pie" thing anymore. It's such an uneventful hit by her standards.

FACT: "American Pie" has no business on a Madonna career-spanning collection. No matter how successful it was worldwide, it's a cover of a song that was made largely popular by someone else, and her version has not gone on to be a classic.

Then again, nothing from the AL album should be on the album, either, outside of "Die Another Day."

Sorry but I have to disagree with that last statement.

On the single disc yes, on the double no. Worldwide the success of AL & Hollywood should not be based on the obnoxious lie that is Billboard Hot 100. See;

Hollywood Chart positions;

U.S. ARC Weekly Top 40: 18

Australia ARIA Singles Chart; 16

Austrian Singles Chart; 34

Canadian Singles Chart; 5

Dutch Top 40; 20

Eurochart Hot 100 Singles; 3

Finish Singles Chart; 8

France SNEP Singles Chart; 22

German Singles Chart; 21

Irish Singles Chart; 10

Italian FIMI Singles Chart; 3

Romanian Singles Chart; 8

Swedish Singles Chart; 19

Swiss Singles Chart; 15

UK Singles Chart; 2

AL Chart positions;

U.S. ARC Weekly Top 40; 7

Australia ARIA Singles Chart; 7

Austrian Singles Chart; 7

Canadian Singles Chart; 1

Danish Singles Chart; 1

Dutch charts; 4

Eurochart Hot 100 Singles; 2

Finnish Singles Chart; 3

France SNEP Singles Chart; 10

German Singles Chart; 10

Greek IFPI Singles Chart; 2

Irish Singles Chart; 8

Israeli Singles Chart; 1

Italian FIMI Singles Chart; 1

New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart; 33

Norwegian VG-lista Singles Chart; 9

Romanian Singles Chart; 7

Spanish Singles Chart; 2

Swedish Singles Chart; 2

Swiss Singles Chart; 1

UK Singles Chart; 2

This clearly shows that the songs were popular and not FLOPS as some people would have you think. Sorry & GI2M also can't be called flops but I can't be bothered posting their chart positions.

Madonna herself has ignored American Pie for 4 tours, the US release of Music and then GHV2, I think she would rather forget it, much like 99% of her fan base

It's a shit cover of an equally shit song

And in terms of AP being known OUTSIDE of the US/UK -- I'm sure there are still a few select fans who recall it being such a substantial hit, but how many of them still hold it in any kind of esteem? I think you'll find that most of said fans were much more gung-ho about a "Hung Up" or "Music" to even care about the whole "American Pie" thing anymore. It's such an uneventful hit by her standards.

Oh absolutely agreed...it was pretty big at the time but like someone already said, Music completely blew it out of the water.

What i meant to say with my previous post is that i don't think Don McClean's version of the song is known outside of the US&UK.

If there was room for it, but *only* if there was room for it, I would include “American Life.” Sure it only barely went top 40, but despite its being a near flop, it went on to be very notorious and does represent an era of her recorded career—no matter how commercially lackluster it was.

As for “American Pie,” I agree with the consensus. That one doesn’t need to be anywhere near a Madonna greatest hits album. When I think of Madonna, this decade, that song almost never crosses my mind. I actually think of a few of her flops before that one. Not only is it totally forgettable, but thinking back to when it was released, I remember more people jeering than praising it…and unlike the bomb that was “American Life,” this song doesn’t personify an era.

It was classy of Don McClean to make those gracious comments about her recording of it, and sure it managed to climb to number twenty-nine (which technically makes it a hit) but her cover was a sham, and borderline joke. That one doesn’t need to be commemorated.

The main crime about American Pie is that the released it instead of Time Stood Still! A superior song which probably would have been huge in the US given they like her ballads.

Guy Oseary, if you are reading this, please leak the tracklisting so we can move on. Thank you.

Guest bluejean

I'd file it with Gwenyth's karaoke version of Bette Davis Eyes.

Thank God Music came out afterward to give Madonna her credibility back.

Guest CELEBRATE

FICTIONAL NONSENSE

2mh9gn.jpg

OFICIAL TRACKLIST

CD 1 (1980-1989)

1- Everybody

2- Holiday

3- Borderline

4- Dress You up

5- Material Girl

6- Like a Virgin

7- Into The Groove

8- Who´s That Girl

9- Crazy For You

10- Open Your Heart

11- Papa Don´t Preach

12- La Isla Bonita

13- Like a Prayer

14- Express Yourself

15- Cherish

16- Hanky Panky

17- Vogue

18- Celebration(Extra Song)

CD 2 (1990-2009)

1- Justify My Love

2- Erotica

3- Deeper and Deeper

4- Rain

5- Take a Bow

6- Bedtime Stories

7- You Must Love Me

8- Ray of Light

9- Frozen

10-Music

11-Dont Tell Me

12-American Life

13-Hollywood

14-Nobody Knows Me

15- Hung Up

16- 4 minutes

17- Miles Away

18- Revolver (Extra Song)

2mh9gn.jpg

Simple CD Edition Tracklist

1- Everybody

2- Holiday

3- Dress You up

4- Like a Virgin

5- Into The Groove

6- Who´s That Girl

7- Open Your Heart

8- Like a Prayer

9- Vogue

10- Erotica

11- Rain

12- Take a Bow

13- You Must Love Me

14- Ray of Light

15- Frozen

16- Music

17- American Life

18- Hung Up

19- 4 minutes

20- Celebration(Extra Song)

mtribefirst.gif

1%20warnermusic_logo_1.jpg

Edited by Hector
FICTIONAL NONSENSE

that tracklist sucks.

they should take off hanky panky, nobody knows me, miles away and bedtime story and replace them with lucky star, live to tell, secret and die another day