william orbit blog

seanster

as a follower of William Orbit on twitter, followed comments to his own blog were he answers some Q's re M...

http://www.williamorbit.com/blog

head to the 'comments' section...and click on 'reply' to whichever Q....it's not all about M obviously, but does indeed make quite interesting reading...

example:

I had to listen to the ‘Music’ album tracks on which I’d participated the other day for something that Warners had requested. I cringed when I heard ‘American Pie’. A song that truly deserves it’s place at the top of the ‘worst-ever-cover-versions’ roll of dishonour! What were we thinking?

But ‘Runaway Lover’ sounded so good. It has stood the test of time very well and has a superb vocal from M. She very much sculpted the way that it sounds on the album. I was a bit spaced out during that one I recall and Mark (Spike) Stent did an excellent mix.

What really got me thinking is that the song ‘Amazing’ did not ever reach its full potential. i would love to mix that one again. There are elements that didn’t make it to the final. What else?, … ‘Gone’ is sort of alright.

he still speaks in high regard of his work with M...

Well, I do like her version of AMERICAN PIE. However, it's not a song I listen to often so I can take it or leave it. Her version is quite a nice cut down updated version of the old. That said... Madonna had her reservations when Rupert Everett kept begging her to cover it. She should have stuck to her instincts on that one because obviously it didn't really do her any favors in the long run. Interestingly enough it was a big hit in the UK, while the American song by an American singer didn't fair as well in the US

I love her cover of American pie!!! it´s one of the poppiest song she has sang since the 80´s.I guess it´s something similiar to an anthem in the US, so it´s more difficult to appreciate this cover there than here in Europe

Guest Danny86
But ‘Runaway Lover’ sounded so good. It has stood the test of time very well

I'm sorry, but he's seriously deranged with this one, that song sounded dated already on the day it was recorded! :rotfl:

I'm sorry, but he's seriously deranged with this one, that song sounded dated already on the day it was recorded! :rotfl:

I agree! And how can he say Gone is just sort of all right. It's one of my favorite Madonna songs ever! Julianna Hatfield even covered at one of her concerts and the audience loved it.

Guest Danny86
I agree! And how can he say Gone is just sort of all right. It's one of my favorite Madonna songs ever! Julianna Hatfield even covered at one of her concerts and the audience loved it.

I guess it might be because "Gone" is not a collaboration like the other songs on Music, Orbit did not co-write the song and he wasn't even playing the main acoustic guitar, I believe his only input is those electronic bleeps here and there...

But although there is a lot of unreleased material, some of which is exceptional, the question of its release can only be answered by her. And she has a lot else going on in her world at any one time! I always look at it this way, you cannot fault her sense of timing and change so there’s not much pointed in trying to second guess her. She’ll be going strong for another 50 years, what’s the rush?

But although there is a lot of unreleased material, some of which is exceptional, the question of its release can only be answered by her. And she has a lot else going on in her world at any one time! I always look at it this way, you cannot fault her sense of timing and change so there’s not much pointed in trying to second guess her. She’ll be going strong for another 50 years, what’s the rush?

some info on the leftover tracks would be nice

I have to say that after being completely blown away by Ray of Light, I was a little disappointed in Orbit's work for Music. I like "Gone" probably the best of the tracks he did. "Amazing" is good too but it sounds too much like a rewrite of "Beautiful Stranger."

I don't think I've ever liked ""Runaway Lover" - it just doesn't go anywhere. Boring synth line and lyrics.

I think "American Pie" is alright. A little sugary on the production, but enjoyable enough. I wish they would've done the whole song though.

Guest Not4Pussies

i like runaway lover lots

but reading his opinion on his work NOW

im glad madonna hasnt worked with him since then

Wasn't there some "dispute" over whether Amazing was written before or after BStranger? Definitely sister tracks, no doubt.

RL and Amazing are fine album filler; I like the "uh uh, no way" parts of RL. :)

Wasn't there some "dispute" over whether Amazing was written before or after BStranger? Definitely sister tracks, no doubt.

RL and Amazing are fine album filler; I like the "uh uh, no way" parts of RL. :)

Well, his remix of "Ray Of Light" has the same beat etc, and so does "Black Coffee" by All Saints.

I still think she didn't choose the best songs they worked together for "Music" because let's be real, she was all about Mirwais.

Her version of " Like an angel.." by Abba is just sublime and so is "Time Stood Still", a song that deserved to be on one of her albums and not just like on that soundtrack (a good soundtrack for a shitty movie).

Orbit said several times the best things from the "Music" session weren't used and are still unreleased.It's a shame because his music really suited her dreamy 1997-1998-1999 voice.

I agree with him that her vocal take on Runaway Lover is great. But the production doesn't stand up to the best of her work with him. Gone and Amazing are the better Orbit-touched tracks on MUSIC. Although, as others have pointed out, Amazing is a re-tread of Beautiful Stranger. And Gone probably has the least input from Orbit of the three.

Yeah, I imagine that Warner Bros probably asked for some comments or something for the liner notes. I doubt that he's doing any alternate edits or anything. But it is odd that he was asked about the tracks from MUSIC, given that none of his collabs for that album were singles. Huh.

Unless you count American Pie of course. Perhaps that's a hint that AP has made the tracklist? Hmm. (I think we rehashed our opinions on AP ad nauseum in another thread recently. lol! I love her vocals, and I love the mystical feel of the track. So bizarre that he hates it now. I can understand feeling that it maybe doesn't touch the original or something -- but c'mon. Worst cover of all time? I don't think so. If Don McLean liked it, it can't be too terrible...)

Her version of " Like an angel.." by Abba is just sublime and so is "Time Stood Still", a song that deserved to be on one of her album and not just like on that soundtrack (a good soundtrack for a shitty movie).

Orbit said several times the best things from the "Music" session weren't used and are still unreleased.It's a shame because his music really suited her dreamy 1997-1998-1999 voice.

Agreed with your first statement there, for sure. Love the Abba cover -- so delicate and dreamy.

I hadn't really heard him say that the best things were unreleased -- but I totally believe it! But I wonder now if that comment is dated -- "Like an Angel..." leaked, "Liquid Love" leaked. I wonder if there really is more? (I hope so!! Fingers crossed!)

Guest Danny86

Maybe he was being inspired by some fan comments on "AP"? :p

The liner notes theory is interesting, I'd think he was asked to write about their whole time together, but would that mean ALL of her major collaborators are gonna do the same? Would be really surprising if Stephen Bray or Shep Pettibone came back for that...

Agreed with your first statement there, for sure. Love the Abba cover -- so delicate and dreamy.

I hadn't really heard him say that the best things were unreleased -- but I totally believe it! But I wonder now if that comment is dated -- "Like an Angel..." leaked, "Liquid Love" leaked. I wonder if there really is more? (I hope so!! Fingers crossed!)

La Petit, Mysore Smile and Run. Written and produced with William Orbit but never used or released. Confirmed ASCAP title codes 420566552, 420566570, 430653519 and 480358398. Mysore is a city in India, a cente of yoga and meditation study. A short clip claiming to be La Petit, leaked onto the internet. But this isn't real, it's just Madonna reading a part of a Winnee The Pooh book.

Mrs. Perfect -- information on this track is scarce, although knowledge of its existence came to light in early 2008 via the fan site Madonna Fanzine. Reportedly a lost collaboration between Madonna and William Orbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreleased_Madonna_songs

La Petit, Mysore Smile and Run. Written and produced with William Orbit but never used or released. Confirmed ASCAP title codes 420566552, 420566570, 430653519 and 480358398. Mysore is a city in India, a cente of yoga and meditation study. A short clip claiming to be La Petit, leaked onto the internet. But this isn't real, it's just Madonna reading a part of a Winnee The Pooh book.

Mrs. Perfect -- information on this track is scarce, although knowledge of its existence came to light in early 2008 via the fan site Madonna Fanzine. Reportedly a lost collaboration between Madonna and William Orbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreleased_Madonna_songs

Oh, yes! Those titles do sound familiar now... Thanks for reminding me of them...

I wonder if Mrs. Perfect is somehow an alternate working title for that song that they played when she walked onto the set for the 2000 David Letterman appearance. Remember? She told him it was her recipe for being a good wife? He kept asking her for the title, and she said she wouldn't take his bait. (I think maybe it surfaced that the title was "Cook & F*ck"? I could be wrong, though. I would doubt it was done with Orbit, remembering the sound of the music they played... but I'm just drawing a correlation between "Mrs. Perfect" and her saying it was her recipe for being the perfect wife or something like that...)

I still wish she had done a fuller version of "Wonderland" -- I know a lot of people say it's similar to the humming in "Amazing" but I really think it's different (imho) and I love it so much. Such a shame it didn't get developed more fully.