Hard Candy - 1 year on...

Guest gloriesbarcelona

The worst album by Madonna ever. Its very average, which for most artists is a compliment but for Madonna is quite bad. I dont look to listen to anyything of it but then again if a song comes on the radio I dont turn it off.

4 mins was OK - JT and M had chemistry and a natural partnership.

GITM sounds a bit cheesey. I love most of Madonna dance singles but this was a bit sub-standard.

Miles Away. Once an album fave but now forgettable. Radio played it the other day and I loved listening to it - I guess ok in occasional doses.

Candyshop/BGO/INcredible/Spanish Lesson.shes not me forgettable

Voices is OK.

DWRY - its ok too - used to like it more before. An album fave. No way as good as POG, or Justin's what Goes Around....which it reminds me of. A good video like POG could have made people see the track in a new light.

The second worst M album has to be BS but it had some solid songs like BS, TAB, Secret, Human Nature.

I dont dislike it because its not Euro enough or that its too American sounding. thats a common criticism aimed at HC haters. I dont listen to much POP or that Eurodisco sound anyway.

Guest ursaminorjim

While it definitely has its flaws (mostly sonic ones - the mastering's atrocious on the Timbaland tracks, and overall her vocals are way too thin), I still rank this as her best album since Erotica. So many great tracks - in fact, the only real duds for me are the first two singles and "Spanish lesson."

While it definitely has its flaws (mostly sonic ones - the mastering's atrocious on the Timbaland tracks, and overall her vocals are way too thin), I still rank this as her best album since Erotica. So many great tracks - in fact, the only real duds for me are the first two singles and "Spanish lesson."

Please elaborate. You really think its better than ROL or COADF? And please don't try to be iconoclastic and say ROL is overrated.

Guest ursaminorjim

Yes, I really think it's better than Ray of Light and Confessions On a Dance Floor.

I think Ray of Light was spectacular for its time, but the overall sound of it is too murky and dated. It's all mid-range, mid-tempo, mid-life crisis to my ears. That and a lot of the songs just don't hold up very well outside of the context of the album. As for Confessions...three songs do not an album make.

Of course, it's far too early to say whether this will also be a fate that befalls Hard Candy, but for now? I'd say it's hands down her best album this century. It's got hips, and lets it backbone slip. It's the first Madonna album in ages I listen to pretty much end to end.

Yes, I really think it's better than Ray of Light and Confessions On a Dance Floor.

I think Ray of Light was spectacular for its time, but the overall sound of it is too murky and dated. It's all mid-range, mid-tempo, mid-life crisis to my ears. That and a lot of the songs just don't hold up very well outside of the context of the album. As for Confessions...three songs do not an album make.

Of course, it's far too early to say whether this will also be a fate that befalls Hard Candy, but for now? I'd say it's hands down her best album this century. It's got hips, and lets it backbone slip. It's the first Madonna album in ages I listen to pretty much end to end.

ROL has stood the test of time in my opinion. It defines and closed out the 90s for M. Confession is flawless from start to finish. Every project takes on new meaning and direction as time passes and popularity fads but it should not overshadow the greatness as a whole or be defined by the sum of the parts. However, you're entitled to your own views.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Really? i think ROL songs hold up very well outside of the context of the album.

I can see what you mean about Confessions, personally i love it all the way through [yes, even 'Push' you fuckers], but i know a lot of people who find after song 4 it all just gets samey and boring.

Heartbeat, Incredible, and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You are fab. The res I can do without.

Guest Pud Whacker

100% jim!!! especially to the bolded. :thumbsup:

For me COADF was better than HC

that's not to say that HC is a bad album

it's very good and you can't easily tire from listening to it

and I can't wait to see the tour

I agree with your statement in part. i may get destroyed for saying this but I will anywayz American Life as a whole album is far superior to ROL (lol go on say what ya want)

HC is a great album but it's not very rememberable.

The album was great a year ago and it still is. The comparisons to Loose and FS/LS are tired. Timbo has a distinctive sound, obviously she wanted that distinctive sound or it wouldn't have happened. DWRY is pretty reminiscent of Cry Me A River but other than that I honestly can't say that any of the songs on HC remind me of specific songs Timbo has produced with others. The Pharrell tracks were really surprising because aside from Candy Shop, the rest of his songs on the album don't really sound like stuff he would normally do. If I were forced to guess unknowingly I would say GI2M and SNM sound almost Stuart Price-ish.....but a little funkier.

One of her funnest albums. 8.5/10

Faves:

Give It 2 Me

Heartbeat

Miles Away

She's Not Me

Incredible

Beat Goes On

Dance 2night

Voices

All of the HC tracks performed on S&S except 4 Minutes work great live too!

Well, we got a true M classic out of it: "Give it to Me". Aside from that, it's an all-around good album. Not my favorite M album, by any stretch, but not her worst.

And this HC vs. Confessions thing is interesting. I spent months upon months listening to Confessions on repeat. It took me less than a month to get over HC.

Guest Danny86
If I were forced to guess unknowingly I would say GI2M and SNM sound almost Stuart Price-ish.....but a little funkier.

The "breakdown" of "She's Not Me" is totally Stuart Price, it's almost like it was lifted from "Hung Up".

As for "Give It 2 Me", one of her most pure pop singles in a long time. And to think it was done by the same guy who did "I'm A Slave 4 U" or "Wind It Up"...

Guest Danny86

^But I'm talking about the part in "HU" where the bassline goes away, before the "time goes by so slowly" x100 part. :p

i may get destroyed for saying this but I will anywayz American Life as a whole album is far superior to ROL

I don't know if it's better than ROL but I actually love AL :thumbsup:

It's definitely her worst 00's album, and in total, only Bedtime Stories is worse. I haven't listened to the album for months and don't have any desire to do so.

I have to say that I really lost interest in her during the HC era. I enjoyed S&S but it just couldn't hold a canlde to CT ... but tastes are different

It's definitely her worst 00's album, and in total, only Bedtime Stories is worse. I haven't listened to the album for months and don't have any desire to do so.

I have to say that I really lost interest in her during the HC era. I enjoyed S&S but it just couldn't hold a canlde to CT ... but tastes are different

Yeah, I think it's quite telling that fans that were the definition of HARDCORE (including myself) are very MEH about Madonna at this point. The whole era felt very half assed and uninspired. Let's hope the LIVE NATION era makes it up for us.

I still like it overall.

But I feel some of the songs could've been simpler or shorter. I always get bored or annoyed towards the end of the song and I end up pressing the skip button. For instance, She's Not Me. The last ''she's not me...she's not me, never will be, never will be...'' part is annoying. Just finish the song earlier(around 4:30). The same goes for ''Incredible''(the ''Boom, incredible, you're welcome to my party, boom....incredible...'' part drags out too much. Annoying!). And I don't like the way Beat Goes On finishes. It should have gone back to the chorus after the rap, instead the rap keeps going on and on and then the song finishes. Again, annoying. also Heartbeat, She's Not Me and Incredible sound too samey to me. One of them is just enough.

I'm not bold enough to say that HARD CANDY is better than RAY OF LIGHT but I will say that I'll MUCH sooner pop in the HC cd over ROL. I "respect" ROL more than I actually enjoy it. Hey it won her all those Grammys. So I'll hold off on badmouthing it some. I am bold enough to say that HC is 10x better than CONFESSIONS. That cd is total crap. It doesn't even garner my respect.

Guest Pud Whacker
The "breakdown" of "She's Not Me" is totally Stuart Price, it's almost like it was lifted from "Hung Up".

As for "Give It 2 Me", one of her most pure pop singles in a long time. And to think it was done by the same guy who did "I'm A Slave 4 U" or "Wind It Up"...

stuart wishes - and i LOVE hung up. that shyt is pharrell and very prince.

Guest lifegrown

Hi, new member, first post. :scared:

Overall, I still like Hard Candy - but I play it much much less now. I tend to find myself just playing selected favourite tracks from it. I can almost not stand to listen to 4 Minutes now! I'm just so sick of it.

I find myself playing Candy Shop, She's Not Me, Incredible, and (even though most people seem to hate it) Spanish Lesson.

I think the "candy" concept for the album was ill-conceived, and obviously an afterthought. You can see from all the photo-shoots that it was originally going to be boxing-themed, and having the album called Give It 2 Me (as it was rumoured to originally be called) it would've made sense. The "candy" concept seems to have all come from Candy Shop - but the boxing-themed pics remained, albeit with hastily photoshopped "candy" backgrounds on them.

It didn't work in my opinion.

I can understand why the led with 4 Minutes, as it was obviously gonna be a huge hit. A part of me thinks that they shoud've gone with Beat Goes On for the 2nd single, and then maybe Give It 2 Me as 3rd single. As nice as Miles Away is, I wish they'd been brave and gone for Devil Wouldn't Recognise You as a single.

Miles Away was doomed to failure anyway, with no video, no promotion, etc. But that's another story!

A career dud for Madonna. GITM and Miles Away are the only tracks that require repeat listens a year later. A case can be made for 4M in terms of wider public popularity but it makes my shit itch.

No other album of hers comes close to the mediocrity and lack of innovation shown on Hard Candy. Even the title, CD packaging and cover is shite.

Am sure she will be back on form next time.

Guest ursaminorjim

I find it fascinating that there's absolutely no consensus about this album. Some adore, some hate, some couldn't care less either way. Even response to the individual songs is all over the map. I think that's healthy, particularly for an artist whose been working in a populist medium for 20-odd years.