Madonna's Malawian Adoption: Appeal to The Supreme Court

Bitch

There is this sick assumption with a lot of fans that Mercy is losing out simply because the judge is not allowing her to be bought by some wealthy westerner. I agree its child trafficking. It just looks like a latest celebrity fad. No one knows what Madonna's real intentions are but at the end of the day I doubt she could manage a career, 4 kids - oh yeah i forgot she has a lot of nannies to help her with her kids.

I'm sure that when Mercy grows up she will be very happy she was denied the opportunity of a good, healthy start in life with Madonna as a mother and was left to live in poverty :) i'm sure you'd feel the same way if you were in her place.

And i'm so sick of people making assumptions like that about what kind of mother Madonna is, as if any of you know what happens behind closed doors and how much time she actually spends with her children.

Madonna's Reaction

When her Malawian lawyer, Alan Chinula, broke the news that High Court judge Esme Chombo had rejected her petition to adopt a Malawian toddler, an incredulous Madonna "kept wringing her hands," a source at Kumbali Lodge, where the pop star is staying, tells PEOPLE. Madonna, who filed her adoption papers on Monday, was not present in court.

At the hearing, the judge said child welfare officers are required to find suitable prospective parents and "not someone who just flies in and out." In terms of the child, "I think the welfare of Chifundo [African for 'Mercy'] will be better served if she grows within the environment of the culture of Malawi," she said.

The judge also said that because Madonna is already assisting other orphans, Chifundo will still benefit from star's generosity.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20269883,00.html

I wonder what will happen now; will she leave Malawi tomorrow, as planned.

I'm sure she will appeal this ruling and won't give up easily. She has a wonderful opportunity to really take on the unfair adoption laws in Malawi and make a big difference for the thousands of orphaned children.

Madonna never gives up and she will do everything she can do to adopt this child but it must be hard to get your hopes up and go back home without the new addition of the family which everyone seemed very excited about. The whole past year have been pretty tough for Madonna. I feel bad for her.

I am sorry for this decision. To be honest I wouldn't expect it but I don't know. Maybe she'll not give up about Mercy and she will be her daughter of Madonna in a way but not in a proper one.

The struggles I'm facing,

The chances I'm taking

Sometimes they knock me down but

No I'm not breaking

I may not know it

But these are the moments that

I'm going to remember most yeah

Just got to keep going

And I,

I got to be strong

Just keep pushing on, cause

There's always going to be another mountain

I'm always going to want to make it move

Always going to be an uphill battle,

Sometimes I'm going to have to lose,

Ain't about how fast I get there,

Ain't about what's waiting on the other side

It's the climb

Madonna never gives up and she will do everything she can do to adopt this child but it must be hard to get your hopes up and go back home without the new addition of the family which everyone seemed very excited about. The whole past year have been pretty tough for Madonna. I feel bad for her.

Madonna is nobody's victim and would not doubt prefer not to have people feel bad for her :thumbsup:

i feel bad too. because we all just know she must be so sad right now and crying with her kids over this. i know, im a drama queen, but that thought just gets to me.

thats very sad. how come she has David and not Mercy? what a mess

Maybe it's because Madonna is no longer married, has relocated, works excessive hours, tours, etc and therefore *appears* to not be able to give a child from another country a stable family life.

The judge said, "According to information from global media the petitioner jetted into the country just days after making the application.

"I take judicial notice of the reports in the media that the last time that the Petitioner was in the country was in 2008 at the time of the final adoption order for David Banda.

"In my considered opinion this would completely remove the Petitioner from the definition of a resident as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary."

This doesn't seem right to me. I"m a lawyer and judges in their decisons are not supposed to rely on reports in the media. They are supposed to decide the case on the testimony of witnesses and evidence submitted to them by attorneys.

And wasn't the application to adopt Mercy an ongoing thing that had been in the works for months. So how can the judge say Madonna jetted into the country just days after making the application to adopt Mercy?

Maybe it's because Madonna is no longer married, has relocated, works excessive hours, tours, etc and therefore *appears* to not be able to give a child from another country a stable family life.

From what I read the decision seems to have nothing to do with Madonna'a lifestyle, her being divorced or her work hours or her ability to take care of Mercy.

It is based on that she hasn't been a resident of Malawi and hasn't been living there.

thats very sad. how come she has David and not Mercy? what a mess

The laws were there, but at the time she adopted David they weren't heavily enforced or properly implemented. After the media circus of that adoption, they have since been put into place. I remember talk of her wanting to adopt Mercy back then. She should've just adopted both at the time.

This doesn't seem right to me. I"m a lawyer and judges in their decisons are not supposed to rely on reports in the media. They are supposed to decide the case on the testimony of witnesses and evidence submitted to them by attorneys.

And wasn't the application to adopt Mercy an ongoing thing that had been in the works for months. So how can the judge say Madonna jetted into the country just days after making the application to adopt Mercy?

i think so too.

sadly, i think the media is to blame for it.

From what I read the decision seems to have nothing to do with Madonna'a lifestyle, her being divorced or her work hours or her ability to take care of Mercy.

It is based on that she hasn't been a resident of Malawi and hasn't been living there.

Key word used was *maybe*. Either way you look at it - she failed in the adoption process. Better luck next time Madge.

I can't believe he said No. What kind of judge is this? Poor Madonna, the kids, and Mercy. I feel so bad for them. I hope she keeps trying and doesn't give up. I bet she won't. It's not in her.

couldnt the give her a donkey or a goat as a concellation prize??

LOL

"Madonna's lawyer, Alan Chinula, said she would lodge an appeal with the Supreme Court on Friday."

Sorry but English is not my primary language, does that mean she will "move in" malawi (because that is what my dictionary says lol) or that she'll just try to adopt mercy again and hope to convince the judge?

Guest iconlovesm

even worse! :dramatic:

MADONNA is paying the price for her gruelling exercise regime - she's reportedly nursing a twisted ankle after falling off a treadmill.

The Holiday hitmaker is in Malawi awaiting a hearing on Friday (03Apr09) on whether she'll be given the green light from government officials to adopt four-year-old girl, Mercy James.

The fitness fanatic demanded that gym equipment be brought into the Kumbali lodge where she has been staying since the weekend (28Mar09).

But a trek on the running machine turned nasty after she took a high-speed stumble, according to Britain's The Sun.

A worker at the lodge tells the publication, "There was a bang and she came suddenly flying off the back of the machine. She looked hurt."

Madonna was allegedly ordered to rest her injured ankle and was forced to pull out of a planned visit to an local orphanage.

03/04/2009 07:51

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...20ankle_1099608

Sorry but English is not my primary language, does that mean she will "move in" malawi (because that is what my dictionary says lol) or that she'll just try to adopt mercy again and hope to convince the judge?

It also means "register". It only means that her lawyer is appealling to the High Court. ;)

Key word used was *maybe*. Either way you look at it - she failed in the adoption process. Better luck next time Madge.

You could be right. Maybe they are just using the residency thing as an excuse and the real reason is because she was divorced. They didn't enforce it last time because she was married, and now they are because she is single. But if they don't allow divorced people to adopt, they should have made that clear before they made her go through all this mess.

Im kinda of relieved. shes supposed to go back on tour. she shouldnt be adopting

I usually ignore your posts, cuz obviously your either a bit slow or under the age of 10 and can't comprehend what you're saying really, but that comment really amazed me how shallow one person can be.

You're relieved cuz she's supposed to be touring?! Yeah, forget that that little girl was denied a promising future and the fact that M and the kids are heartbroken right now. As long as you're relieved.

And you' obviously don't know Madonna, cuz she's not one to give up like that. It will only take more of her time and commitment.

Think just a little before commenting.

You could be right. Maybe they are just using the residency thing as an excuse and the real reason is because she was divorced. They didn't enforce it last time because she was married, and now they are because she is single. But if they don't allow divorced people to adopt, they should have made that clear before they made her go through all this mess.

Yep, they should have made it clear from the outset but the law is subject to change much like anything else. In fairness Madonna has put herself through the process of a second adoption.

If the decision is purely based upon the 18 month residency then I don't see why Madonna doesn't just live there for that period. Would be worth it if she truly loves and wants little Mercy.

Who knows, it could possibly influence the concept/sound of the next album and even her next look.

OH SHIT !!!!

I betcha its bcuz of the DIVORCE.

Even davids daddy said HE WAS DISSAPPOINTED in tHE BREAKUP/