Madonna Greatest Hits: Hopefully Out By Fall

aleks @ MadonnaFanzine boards:

"The GH is spanning her whole career not just after GHV2. Some people inside are pushing for a BA DVD. There will be at least 1 new song possibly produced by Stuart or Patrick Leonard and no i'm not making this up."

:bow:

No more Timbaland/Timberlake/Pharrell! :clap:

Guest harbors

"The GH is spanning her whole career not just after GHV2. Some people inside are pushing for a BA DVD. There will be at least 1 new song possibly produced by Stuart or Patrick Leonard and no i'm not making this up."

:bow::clap::clap::clap:

No wonder why they're broadcasting the HD show on tv in April. They're working on this show.

Guest Pud Whacker

I know fans will shyt themselves for BA but i would much prefer the virgin dvd with the missing tracks. seriously. also, they should add the madonna wannas, as they did in the dress you up video. it was MADONNA MANIA. should so be well documented and re-presented to the public and new fans.

twiiter guy immediately. :rotfl:

I know fans will shyt themselves for BA but i would much prefer the virgin dvd with the missing tracks. seriously. also, they should add the madonna wannas, as they did in the dress you up video. it was MADONNA MANIA. should so be well documented and re-presented to the public and new fans.

twiiter guy immediately. :rotfl:

Oh give me the VT anytime for sure. That intro for the Dress You Up is classic. I love the BA but I much prefer the VT & WTG.

I always prefer compilations to have a chronological track listing as it contextualises each song and flows better. But if WB are opting for a single-disc release, there's always the fear that the sequencing will be very similar to TIC, with a smattering of her post-Vogue work toward the end of the disc. It's a tricky one. There's no real consensus on what post-TIC tracks should be included on a single-disc compilation apart from a few essentials (namely ROL, Music, HU and 4 Minutes).

I vacillate between thinking JML and Erotica should be included (though the inclusion of both side-by-side would certainly kill the frantic pacing of the album) and then thinking I wouldn't actually mind if, in a chronological setting, ROL followed Vogue, bypassing any representation from Erotica or BS, accepting that the number-of-hits-per-album has become increasingly sparse. There's no point in including one song from Erotica, Bedtime Stories or American Life for the sake of representing their parent albums, like others have suggested, if the track doesn't match up to the sheer colossi of tracks like ITG or LAP.

And as much as I love it, I think that TAB would stick out like a sore thumb for non-American purchasers.

It's definitely gonna be 1 disc GH with songs from her last 3 albums, don't forget, she's STILL has the control.

How do we know that she still has control? Since she's not on WB anymore, they don't have any reason to give total control to her, unless it's in her contract.

Guest Not4Pussies

i bet the NEW song is an actual old demo by stuart price

and she probably wont officially release it as a single with video

chicagotranny posted this on dm :rotfl:

GREATEST HITS INFORMATION

2 CD'S GUY O IS PICKING SONGS

NO PHOTOSHOOT

LIZ PICKING OUT THE PICTURES AND GRAPHICS

GUY AND LIZ ARE OPEN TO IDEAS OF OTHER STUFF

EMAIL GUY AND HIS ASSISTANT

GUY@GUYO.COM AND SARAZ@GUYO.COM SO GET ON THE BALL ASAP!

LIZ.ROSENBERG@WBR.COM

btw those emails are real

Guest ditaluver

hahahahahha they must sit around for hours dreaming up ways to torture the fans and still get our money!!!!

well Im hoping for something fabulous! I would love VT, BA and RIT in a set. I dont see why its so damn difficult. Its fucking dvd's!!!!!!!

hahahahahha they must sit around for hours dreaming up ways to torture the fans and still get our money!!!!

well Im hoping for something fabulous! I would love VT, BA and RIT in a set. I dont see why its so damn difficult. Its fucking dvd's!!!!!!!

Its always been difficult for her team. We got like..3 DVD's during 2001-2008? Not getting my hopes to high tho but I can't wait for any M release.

I vacillate between thinking JML and Erotica should be included (though the inclusion of both side-by-side would certainly kill the frantic pacing of the album) and then thinking I wouldn't actually mind if, in a chronological setting, ROL followed Vogue, bypassing any representation from Erotica or BS, accepting that the number-of-hits-per-album has become increasingly sparse. There's no point in including one song from Erotica, Bedtime Stories or American Life for the sake of representing their parent albums, like others have suggested, if the track doesn't match up to the sheer colossi of tracks like ITG or LAP.

And as much as I love it, I think that TAB would stick out like a sore thumb for non-American purchasers.

I disagree..this release should chronicle her 25 years as a pop pioneer. Songs like

'Bedtime Story' & 'Drowned World' might not have been massive commerical hits

but they r essential Madonna, they illustrate her diversity & r musically speaking

important moments in her career. This compilation should reflect her evolution. :americanlife:

But don't worry ..cuz it won't :fag:

Guest dicktracy
I disagree..this release should chronicle her 25 years as a pop pioneer. Songs like

'Bedtime Story' & 'Drowned World' might not have been massive commerical hits

but they r essential Madonna, they illustrate her diversity & r musically speaking

important moments in her career. This compilation should reflect her evolution. :americanlife:

But don't worry ..cuz it won't :fag:

Acko, I agree. It won't be about the music evolution. Most people only care about the hits.

Therefore, now that we know that it's going to be a double disc it's easier to come up with ideas. I've read many posts about this and it seems to be a consensus that this GH has to have her biggest chart hits.

With that in mind, I've put this tracklist together. The only criteria was that the song had to have placed at Number 1 or 2 on the Billboard 100 and/or in the UK. Since these are her biggest markets and the European charts often times reflect the UK charts, this is what it would look like:

DISC ONE:

1. Holiday #2 UK (re-release)

2. Borderline #2 UK (re-release)

3. Like A Virgin #1 US

4. Material Girl #2 US

5. Crazy For You #1 US; #2 UK (re-release)

6. Into The Groove #1 UK

7. Dress You Up*

8. Live To Tell #1 US and UK

9. Papa Don't Preach #1 US and UK

10. True Blue #1 UK

11. Open Your Heart #1 US

12. La Isla Bonita #1 UK

13. Who's That Girl #1 US and UK

14. Causing a Commotion #2 US

15. Like A Prayer #1 US and UK

16. Express Yourself #2 US

17. Cherish #2 US

18. Vogue #1 US and UK

DISC TWO:

1. Hanky Panky #2 UK

2. Justify My Love #1 US; #2 UK

3. This Used To Be My Playground #1 US

4. I'll Remember #2 US

5. Take A Bow #1 US

6. Frozen #1 UK; #2 US

7. Ray Of Light #2 UK

8. Beautiful Stranger #2 UK

9. American Pie #1 UK

10. Music #1 US and UK

11. Die Another Day*

12. American Life #2 UK

13. Hollywood #2 UK

14. Hung Up #1 UK

15. Sorry #1 UK

16. 4 Minutes # 1 UK

17. New Song

18. New Song

This GH would have 16 songs that are not present in TIC and GHV2 (underlined). So purchasing this would be close to buying a single disc with most of the songs that were missing from earlier compilations plus the new ones. I understand that this ommits Lucky Star, Rescue Me, Erotica, Deeper And Deeper, Secret and Don't Tell Me. Outrageous, I know. But if you own TIC and GHV2 it shouldn't be a problem. And if you own STR then you didn't need to have Rain, LDLHA, You'll See, I Want You and One More Chance.

*These songs were included because I had two open slots to fill and they would not overlap any of the earlier GHs.

Pud I agree with you about The VT ...and OMG can you imagine a song written by Pat Leonard and Produced my Stuart!!!!! To die for!

Aint going to happen ever..

You might get a remix of candy shop if your lucky

Acko, I agree. It won't be about the music evolution. Most people only care about the hits.

Therefore, now that we know that it's going to be a double disc it's easier to come up with ideas. I've read many posts about this and it seems to be a consensus that this GH has to have her biggest chart hits.

With that in mind, I've put this tracklist together. The only criteria was that the song had to have placed at Number 1 or 2 on the Billboard 100 and/or in the UK. Since these are her biggest markets and the European charts often times reflect the UK charts, this is what it would look like:

DISC ONE:

3. Like A Virgin #1 US

4. Material Girl #2 US

6. Into The Groove #1 UK

7. Dress You Up*

10. True Blue #1 UK

12. La Isla Bonita #1 UK

17. Cherish #2 US

18. Vogue #1 US and UK

DISC TWO:

1. Hanky Panky #2 UK

2. Justify My Love #1 US; #2 UK

3. This Used To Be My Playground #1 US

4. I'll Remember #2 US

5. Take A Bow #1 US

6. Frozen #1 UK; #2 US

7. Ray Of Light #2 UK

9. American Pie #1 UK

10. Music #1 US and UK

11. Die Another Day*

12. American Life #2 UK

13. Hollywood #2 UK

14. Hung Up #1 UK

15. Sorry #1 UK

16. 4 Minutes # 1 UK

17. New Song

18. New Song

This GH would have 16 songs that are not present in TIC and GHV2 (underlined). So purchasing this would be close to buying a single disc with most of the songs that were missing from earlier compilations plus the new ones. I understand that this ommits Lucky Star, Rescue Me, Erotica, Deeper And Deeper, Secret and Don't Tell Me. Outrageous, I know. But if you own TIC and GHV2 it shouldn't be a problem. And if you own STR then you didn't need to have Rain, LDLHA, You'll See, I Want You and One More Chance.

*These songs were included because I had two open slots to fill and they would not overlap any of the earlier GHs.

this song list is quite good, lthough it´s strange to skip all the erotica period, but she didn´t reach the top 2 so...and you have to include Me against the music too

Acko, I agree. It won't be about the music. Most people only care about the hits.

Therefore, now that we know that it's going to be a double disc it's easier to come up with ideas. I've read many posts about this and it seems to be a consensus that this GH has to have her biggest chart hits. With that in mind, I've put this tracklist together. My only criteria was that the song had to have placed at Number 1 or 2 on the Billboard 100 and/or in the UK. Since these are her biggest markets and the European charts often times reflect the UK charts, this is what it would look like:

I understand and appreciate your tracklisting, but the forthcoming release needs to be a one-stop for casuals, not a patch kit for owners of previously released compilations.

The proprosed tracklisting posted several days ago is as close to a logically sound US-market compilation as one could hope to get. Given the length of her career, her status as an international force, the amount of hits she's amassed and the time restrictions even on a double, I think this might be a release where they would benefit from retooling a basic tracklisting specific to major markets.

For the US:

Note the disc times indicated below, this is using the official single version.

Disc One (79:48)

Her entire (amazing) run of consecutive Top 5 singles 1984-1989 (this was broken by "Oh Father" in late 1989 which stalled at #20), plus "Holiday" (#16) and "Into The Groove" (NC) which are signature songs and her two biggest recurrent airplay hits.

1. Holiday

2. Borderline

3. Lucky Star

4. Like A Virgin

5. Material Girl

6. Crazy For You

7. Angel

8. Into The Groove

9. Dress You Up

10. Live To Tell

11. Papa Don't Preach

12. True Blue

13. Open Your Heart

14. La Isla Bonita

15. Who's That Girl

16. Causing A Commotion

17. Like A Prayer

18. Express Yourself

19. Cherish

Disc Two (73:18, leaving nearly 7 minutes for two new tracks)

A concise, no-fat representation of her biggest and best known (stateside) '90s and '00s output, with room for two new tracks.

1. Vogue

2. Justify My Love

3. This Used To Be My Playground

4. Erotica

5. Deeper And Deeper

6. I'll Remember

7. Secret

8. Take A Bow

9. You'll See

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. Music

14. Don't Tell Me

15. Die Another Day

16. Hung Up

17. 4 Minutes

18. [new song]

19. [new song]

Before the announcement of new material, "DCFMA" would have without question made the tracklisting, but for time reasons it was the obvious choice to be dropped as the only "cover" song in the lot. I like the idea of this two CD retrospective being "all Madonna."

It seems like swapping 4-5 tracks for hits that were bigger in the UK would be easy for that market.

Guest dicktracy
this song list is quite good, lthough it´s strange to skip all the erotica period, but she didn´t reach the top 2 so...and you have to include Me against the music too

Thanks! And there are only 6 songs in this list that weren't Top 10 hits in the Billboard 100 (besides the new ones obviously). So, there are plenty of hits for the American fans.

Guest dicktracy
I understand and appreciate your tracklisting, but the forthcoming release needs to be a one-stop for casuals, not a patch kit for owners of previously released compilations.

The proprosed tracklisting posted several days ago is as close to a logically sound US-market compilation as one could hope to get. Given the length of her career, her status as an international force, the amount of hits she's amassed and the time restrictions even on a double, I think this might be a release where they would benefit from retooling a basic tracklisting specific to major markets.

It seems like swapping 4-5 tracks for hits that were bigger in the UK would be easy for that market.

Mattress, I understand what you mean but I don't trust WB in being sensible enough to customize a GH per region. Who knows?

Now, I'm not quite clear on the logic regarding casual fans. Do you make an album with hits so they can buy it? Or do you put some hits and lesser known songs so they can discover them? If it's the latter, then my list not only includes the majority of the American hits but also introduces a little bit of her last 3 albums to these casual fans. It seems to me that your list is about having all of the most recognizable songs to the American audience and so forth (hence the idea of customizing per region, right?). Anyway, regardless of the objective, your list is still very close to mine, in fact, it diverges on 7 tracks out of 38 total. They are:

3. Lucky Star

7. Angel

4. Erotica

5. Deeper And Deeper

7. Secret

9. You'll See

14. Don't Tell Me

The songs on my tracklist were based on hard facts according to a certain criteria (#1 or #2 in the US and/or UK). I tried to be impartial. But I ended up having 2 extra slots and I had to make a choice. I considered all of her other singles including the 7 songs above. I then decided to leave out any song that was already in TIC and in GHV2.

I chose Dress You Up (because everybody complains about it not being in TIC) and Die Another Day (because it's one of only 3 hits in America since GHV2).

My reasoning for leaving Angel out was the fact that even in its day it was overshadowed by Crazy For You and Into The Groove. You'll See, on the other hand, did not chart as high as Angel but I remember being a sizeable radio hit in the US. However, I left it out because I was afraid there would be too many ballads on the 2nd disc (TUTBMP, IR, TAB, Frozen). The same reasoning was used to exclude Bad Girl, Rain and You Must Love Me.

I like your list because it has songs from Erotica and I really hesitated between DYP and Erotica. If I were to be patial I would have excluded Hanky Panky and American Pie and I would have added Don't Tell Me and Erotica. But if had 19 songs per CD like you did, the tracklist would look like this:

DISC ONE:

3. Like A Virgin #1 US

4. Material Girl #2 US

6. Into The Groove #1 UK

7. Dress You Up* #5 US

10. True Blue #1 UK

12. La Isla Bonita #1 UK

17. Cherish #2 US

18. Vogue #1 US and UK

19. Hanky Panky #2 UK

DISC TWO:

1. Justify My Love #1 US; #2 UK

2. This Used To Be My Playground #1 US

3. Erotica* #3 US and UK

4. I'll Remember #2 US

5. Take A Bow #1 US

6. Frozen #1 UK; #2 US

7. Ray Of Light #2 UK

9. American Pie #1 UK

10. Music #1 US and UK

11. Don't Tell Me* #4 US and UK

12. Die Another Day* #3 UK

13. American Life #2 UK

14. Hollywood #2 UK

15. Hung Up #1 UK

16. Sorry #1 UK

17. 4 Minutes # 1 UK

18. New Song

19. New Song

Overall, nice job. Seems like we've got two things in common: obsessions with tracklists and being right. :thumbsup: