US Chart Talk: 12/20/08

thebigham

Wow, that is a pretty big drop for Britters.

Yeah, the usual 70% drop every act suffers the second week.

Guest nothingfails0603
Yeah, the usual 70% drop every act suffers the second week.

yea, I was thinking it. I think people are so quick to wish for another Janet-sized flop but I don't think it's gonna happen

yea, I was thinking it. I think people are so quick to wish for another Janet-sized flop but I don't think it's gonna happen

I wasn't wishing for it to flop, jack ass. I thought her second week drop would be less than the usual due to the holiday shopping season - thus my surprise. I like this album, I don't know why anyone who says anything remotely negative is seen as a hater.

:rolleyes:

I don't think anybody was expecting Britney to sell more in week 2 than week 1 just because it's December. People on this board treat the Christmas shopping season like it's the Holy Grail. It's not going to work miracles. The Killers fell 70% this week, GNR plunged 78%. You're going to fall in your second week. Christmas may pad that fall it a bit, but it's not going to stop it. Especially after a 500+K debut in 2008. We're talking blockbuster numbers this year, it's hard to stabalize.

Guest nothingfails0603
This is a US thread that comes obvious.

rofl, I know right? I mean, when people talk about how big Girls Aloud is, people assume it's a UK thread because they mean nothing to American audiences

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: As the work week winds down, it’s still a tight race for #1 next week, but our crack numbers crunchers are giving a slight edge to Big Machine’s Taylor Swift (190-200k) over Jive/ZLG’s Britney Spears (180-190k). With only two weekends left until Christmas, they’re expecting strong sales on the skyrocketing country star at the big-box accounts, and while Britney could still take the top spot, she’ll have to buck the trend of big second-week drops in order to do so.

As for the rest of next week’s leader board, it’ll be composed of the usual suspects: #3 Beyonce (Music World/Columbia), 140-150k; #4 Nickelback (Roadrunner), 130-140k; #5 Kanye West (Roc-A-Fella/IDJ), 120-130k; #6 Now 29 (UMe) 110-120k; #7 High School Musical 3 (Walt Disney) or Twilight (Chop Shop/Atlantic), both trending toward 100-110k; #9 David Cook (19/RCA/RMG) 95-100k; and finally, at #10, the week’s lone debut, Musiq Soulchild (Atlantic), with 90-95k. (12/12a)