US Chart Talk: 8/9/08

thebigham

Kany West only managed 2 million in total sales? he managed to sell almost half of that in the first week - his album did nt hold up that well in the USA and UK.

Rihanna 1.5 million in total sales? after 5 singles - 2 no1's, 2 top 5, 1 top 10 - all a broad spectrum of styles, a re-release and still it may take another half a year for it to surpass COADF?

How much has the Timbaland album sold?

What no is Mariah = 2000kg's?

^ its cause most people I guess sub-consciously dont take her or her music seriously enough as an album artist, even though technically shes put out some really decent, catchy and contemporary songs . Theres just a lack of appeal aside from each song she releases. Shes clearly youre as good as ur last hit, then will be 4gotten tomorrow, which any rational person knows is gonna happen lol. Her puppeteer (record execs) will milk her dry while shes hot, then promptly find their next token sista cash cow lol.

Her songs are very catchy and she is shaping musical boundaries - she is one of the few young black singers who will release rock-influenced tracks, dance tracks - she is kinda a black britney but less glamourous but can sing live. Artists like Beyonce will now have to come up with some good stuff - in her absence Rihanna has made a name for herself on the singles scene.

^ its cause most people I guess sub-consciously dont take her or her music seriously enough as an album artist, even though technically shes put out some really decent, catchy and contemporary songs . Theres just a lack of appeal aside from each song she releases. Shes clearly youre as good as ur last hit, then will be 4gotten tomorrow, which any rational person knows is gonna happen lol. Her puppeteer (record execs) will milk her dry while shes hot, then promptly find their next token sista cash cow lol.

Guest Danny86
How much has the Timbaland album sold?

I think around 1 million. His singles sold at least 5 million downloads though.

from chart beat chat

MADONNA BY THE NUMBERS

Hi Fred,

Great informative column as always! With Madonna scoring her 39th No. 1 on the Hot Dance Club Play chart, how close is she to being the artist with the most No. 1s on ANY Billboard chart? I also find it amusing her two most recent chart-toppers had numbers in their titles: "4 Minutes" and "Give It 2 Me." These are her only numerical titles to ever chart.

Thanks,

Jim Maino

Manahawkin, N.J.

Dear Jim,

Madonna owns the record on Hot Dance Club Play, and while there are at least two other artists ahead of her on other charts, she does have a chance to surpass one or possibly both of them and become the all-time champ when it comes to number of No. 1 songs.

On Hot Country Songs, Conway Twitty held the record for years with 40 No. 1 songs. His record was broken by George Strait, who has continued to collect No. 1s and now has 43 to his credit.

Since Strait and Madonna are both likely to continue collecting No. 1 hits on the country and dance charts respectively, Madonna will have to step up the pace to overcome Strait's lead

Guest Bad Robot
Fresh? That's not exactly a word that would describe Mimi's work. :) Each album is a variation of the one before it, with ever-so-slight differences (if any). Especially starting with the Daydream era (when she had ODB do some nursery rhymin' on the "Fantasty" remix). Cause Daydream was like the albums before it, pretty much, but she decided to delve into the rent-a-rapper business and she hasn't looked back.

"One Sweet Day" was big on the charts, and the followup album Butterfly did better (chart-ranking-wise) than E=MC2 is doing. And Butterfly is when pop radio started losing interest in her- "Honey" barely made the top 10 at the format, while "Butterfly" and "My All" peaked in the teens.

I am by no means a Mariah supporter but I have to giver her props for Emancipation of Mimi -- I do think that one sounded fresh. I get the impression that for once, she wasn't as concerned about the charts and wanted to make good songs, and the fact that she came back to life on the charts was actually a bit of a surprise. Then once she realized she could be "queen" again she went back to making crap that she thought would do well (DFAU + the new album).

Her songs are very catchy and she is shaping musical boundaries - she is one of the few young black singers who will release rock-influenced tracks, dance tracks - she is kinda a black britney but less glamourous but can sing live. Artists like Beyonce will now have to come up with some good stuff - in her absence Rihanna has made a name for herself on the singles scene.

You had me right up to that point, then I laughed my ass off. :lmao:

Rihanna oozes glamour, style, and class. In her better days Britney had a certain appeal, but for the last few years she's been the poster child for crass and trash.

Guest tir69

from madonnalicious :

Request Beat Goes On in New York City

Madonna's song the Beat Goes On has been added to the request list for New York City radio station 103.5 KTU, and they have already played several times.

Fans can request the song at this link: www.ktu.com/pages/info/request

Thanks to Juan

I dont think she can sing live very well, Saw her in the Brits I think it was....rather pathetic

let me clarify what i meant. the media shows more interest in britney regardless of her being more trashy. i was nt talking about her actual dress sense. the media shows 0 interest in rihanna - she is hardly ever going to have that same media glamour fact as britney is.

"and the legendary miss britney spears" i dont think rihanna could ever get tat in asong without people thiking who she is.

You had me right up to that point, then I laughed my ass off. :lmao:

Rihanna oozes glamour, style, and class. In her better days Britney had a certain appeal, but for the last few years she's been the poster child for crass and trash.

she may not be a good live singer but at least she can get out there and do it....she makes the effort ....which is an important thing in my opinion.....no one will sound like they do in a studio but still its good to give it a good shot........miming looks so stale and unnatural.....i'd rather go to a badly sung

concert than a mime act.

I dont think she can sing live very well, Saw her in the Brits I think it was....rather pathetic