US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

It seems like Leona will pass Mariah and Madonna in the next few weeks... Her airplay in huge!

By the way, DIscipline has been released in February where sales are worse and Feedback had hardly been played on the radio... And we used to make fun of Janet...:(

Well there is a lack of promotion! The cover artwork is a turn off! The marketing by Warner is a dud!

Honestly, Madonna did more promo for AL and those damn books than this album!

It seems like Leona will pass Mariah and Madonna in the next few weeks... Her airplay in huge!

By the way, DIscipline has been released in February where sales are worse and Feedback had hardly been played on the radio... And we used to make fun of Janet...:(

Yes, but Janet did a ton of promotion in the US with that damn globe and moved less than 200,000.

when it comes to established acts, first week sales of an album, or a movie is all about marketing. consumers can't know if the product is good in the first week. i think current level of sales is a result of both madonna's and wbr's reluctancy to promote the album since this is their last together. they probably thought "we released a Timbaland song as a 1st single, made a good video, madonna looks great in it, no need to invest more on it".

and there is a contradiction in the 1st single choice. the song is doing great, but it's not representative of the album. the song is a turn off for usual madonna fans, who usually buy her albums. i know fans who didn't even listen to the album after they heard she was doing songs with Timbaland. and also in fact the album is not urban enough to attract the other people. actually it is as madonna as "like a virgin". so if urban music listeners buy it by mistake they probably dislike it.

they could've released "4 minutes" in US and "give it 2me" in Europe at the same time so that usual madonna fans also would be excited to buy it in the first week. i think nelly did the same thing with "maneater" and "promiscuous" and she did very well.. ( i loved her album too..) or they could've saved "4 minutes" for a soundtrack or another project.

i really like the album and hoped for at least a 300,000 opening. i'm sure it will have somewhat longevity though.

Edited by encore

when it comes to established acts, first week sales of an album, or a movie is all about marketing. consumers can't know if the product is good in the first week. i think current level of sales is a result of both madonna's and wbr's reluctancy to promote the album since this is their last together. they probably thought "we released a Timbaland song as a 1st single, made a good video, madonna looks great in it, no need to invest more on it".

and there is a contradiction in the 1st single choice. the song is doing great, but it's not representative of the album. the song is a turn off for usual madonna fans, who usually buy her albums. i know fans who didn't even listen to the album after they heard she was doing songs with Timbaland. and also in fact the album is not urban enough to attract the other people. actually it is as madonna as "like a virgin". so if urban music listeners buy it by mistake they probably dislike it.

they could've released "4 minutes" in US and "give it 2me" in Europe at the same time so that usual madonna fans also would be excited to buy it in the first week. i think nelly did the same thing with "maneater" and "promiscuous" and she did very well.. ( i loved her album too..) or they could've saved "4 minutes" for a soundtrack or another project.

i really like the album and hoped for at least a 300,000 opening. i'm sure it will have somewhat longevity though.

4 mins is performing well because the combination of Justin, Timberland and Madonna fans are buying the song. With HC its Madonna's fanbase buying the album.

I doubt she will win over any new fans with HC.

Guest iMisto

My stomach is turning... what are the sales figures like? When will we know for sure, 100%??

My stomach is turning... what are the sales figures like? When will we know for sure, 100%??

Tomorrow we'll have the 100% totals from HDD.

And on Thursday, official numbers from SoundScan, which will be very similar.

And please don't use that 'it's spring!!' excuse! It's spring everywhere and her album in europe became gold in just a few hours! Is it Christmas here or something and we don't know it? Just tell me... And the sound of the first single is not popular at all, she didn't do promo in Europe either! All those things are excuses!!!

Exactly!

people on here are deluded with lots of excuses!

just like you say... it's spring in Europe too! the single is not even as popular as a Madonna single usually is in Europe (allthough a hit)... and it still tops the albums charts around the continent selling Gold/Platinum in many countries in first weeks of release...

the whole "it's spring... it's not holiday season" is just bad excuses... like we would have christmas in Europe right now or something???

sadly this album looks like it'll be flopping in the US...

it's a great album though but americans in general just doesn't care for good music and US radio is fucked up... she could promote sure...

but like you say... she hasn't promoted anything in Europe still it's doing good over here...

and it seems to be doing great in Canada too... Australia... alot of places that are all in spring season without any promotions...

the problem is the USA...

did I mention we have spring time and no promo in Europe, Australia & Canada too?

^ It's Autumn in Australia atm.

I just took a look at the HDD chart and Ashlee Simpson is at 39! LMFAO, I hope she's out of the Top 40 altogether when the final numbers come in!

^ It's Autumn in Australia atm.

Oh well... at least it's far from holiday season.. which seems to be people's excuse on here for why it fails to sell big numbers in the states...

like the rest of the world would be celebrating christmas now or something :lol:

What a bunch of pessimists!

Just because HARD CANDY doesn't move more than 300,000 units in its first week of sales in the U.S, it's considered a flop? I'm fucking tired of all the negativity and Madonna bashing I've been reading lately on this forum.

U.S radio gives Madonna a raw deal, they've done so for years. Mariah is the darling of Ryan Seacrest and Kiss FM, that helps her to get much more airplay. Madonna is a worldwide artist, successful in dozens of countries. U.S chart success for her is great, but it ain't the be all and end all! Can "Mimi" claim chart superiority on an international scale? I think not.

What happened to Madonna's fans actually supporting her and the album?

What a bunch of pessimists!

Just because HARD CANDY doesn't move more than 300,000 units in its first week of sales in the U.S, it's considered a flop? I'm fucking tired of all the negativity and Madonna bashing I've been reading lately on this forum.

U.S radio gives Madonna a raw deal, they've done so for years. Mariah is the darling of Ryan Seacrest and Kiss FM, that helps her to get much more airplay. Madonna is a worldwide artist, successful in dozens of countries. U.S chart success for her is great, but it ain't the be all and end all! Can "Mimi" claim chart superiority on an international scale? I think not.

What happened to Madonna's fans actually supporting her and the album?

Well fact is that Madonna is doing great internationally... and Mimi not... so there you just point out thruths...

I guess it's bothering though that she doesn't have support anymore in her native country and the biggest market in the world...

radio is blocking her from success that she could have... that is what the negativity is about... it's not against her or her music which we all enjoy... it's more a criticism against the USA and that they obviously doesn't pay much attention to her anymore... and criticism against their cynical radio

I just wonder... where are all her fans?? if she can sell-out tours with ticket prices that are extremely high how is it impossible for her to sell loads of albums that just costs like 10 dollars each?? it's really wierd...

Exactly!

people on here are deluded with lots of excuses!

just like you say... it's spring in Europe too! the single is not even as popular as a Madonna single usually is in Europe (allthough a hit)... and it still tops the albums charts around the continent selling Gold/Platinum in many countries in first weeks of release...

the whole "it's spring... it's not holiday season" is just bad excuses... like we would have christmas in Europe right now or something???

sadly this album looks like it'll be flopping in the US...

it's a great album though but americans in general just doesn't care for good music and US radio is fucked up... she could promote sure...

but like you say... she hasn't promoted anything in Europe still it's doing good over here...

and it seems to be doing great in Canada too... Australia... alot of places that are all in spring season without any promotions...

the problem is the USA...

? All those things are lame excuses! I really don't know what's happening there... Really really sad... Just imagine.. Outside the US we made it gold and platinum in a few h

did I mention we have spring time and no promo in Europe, Australia & Canada too?

Exactly... Another excuse that someone told me 'We have the internet here in the US, people don't buy albums'! So I asked, here in Europe, Canada or Australia we don't have internet?Outside the US we made it gold and platinum in a few hours and now there we will need 3 weeks or one month to make it just gold...Flop fans.. I remember people from the US here laughing when we were saying that we are calling our local radio stations.. With ego we cannot do anything...

Exactly... Another excuse that someone told me 'We have the internet here in the US, people don't buy albums'! So I asked, here in Europe, Canada or Australia we don't have internet?Outside the US we made it gold and platinum in a few hours and now there we will need 3 weeks or one month to make it just gold...Flop fans.. I remember people from the US here laughing when we were saying that we are calling our local radio stations.. With ego we cannot do anything...

yes... you're so right!

don't pay them any attention though... they hate on people like us on this forum sadly... they think that we are loons and that we doesn't like Madonna or whatever...

obviously we like her enough to want her to be successfull commercially too... but that is too much for them to handle... so they trash us and try to make us look dumb...

CHART DATE: 05/05/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/05/2008 15:00:46

NOW IN: 45.86%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 120,912

HARD CANDY

2 2 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 42,961

SPIRIT

1 3 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 41,689

E=MC2

-- 4 LYFE JENNINGS COLUMBIA 36,461

LYFE CHANGE

-- 5 DEF LEPPARD ISLAND/IDJMG 28,009

SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE

-- 6 ROOTS DEF JAM/IDJMG 22,264

RISING DOWN

5 7 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 19,041

VARIOUS ARTISTS

10 8 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 15,646

TAYLOR SWIFT

8 9 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 14,739

TROUBADOUR

22 10 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 11,827

I know how bad radio is in the U.S. Here in Sydney, we get AMERICAN TOP 40 every week on one of the radio stations. Most of the American Top 40 is either woeful R&B/rap rubbish, or atrociously bad guitar rock!

Unless a track is produced by either Timbaland or T Pain, I'd guess your chances of getting airplay on a U.S Top 40 stations are next to zero.

It's a good question! Why do U.S radio programmers have this prejudice against Madonna?

I know how bad radio is in the U.S. Here in Sydney, we get AMERICAN TOP 40 every week on one of the radio stations. Most of the American Top 40 is either woeful R&B/rap rubbish, or atrociously bad guitar rock!

Unless a track is produced by either Timbaland or T Pain, I'd guess your chances of getting airplay on a U.S Top 40 stations are next to zero.

It's a good question! Why do U.S radio programmers have this prejudice against Madonna?

It's not against Madonna, specifically. America does not have a whole lot of respect for women over 40, especially if the women are sexy. Trust me: radio in the U.S. will turn on Mariah in a few years. We are in many ways a sexist country, especially when it comes to recognizing the achievements of strong, successful, sexy women over 40. There is still a large wage gap in this country between the genders when it comes to professional jobs. Same in the film, TV, and music industries. "Desperate Housewives" changed things a little, but not much. Most people resent that Madonna has stayed around and stayed successful for this long.

And I know someone is going to bring up Cher's "Believe," but that was one song.

Thank goodness for Australian radio! 4 MINUTES is on every frigging radio station currently, a lot of Madonna's older songs get regular airplay too. If only the bitch would tour Down Under this time and reward her Aussie fans

It's not against Madonna, specifically. America does not have a whole lot of respect for women over 40, especially if the women are sexy. Trust me: radio in the U.S. will turn on Mariah in a few years. We are in many ways a sexist country, especially when it comes to recognizing the achievements of strong, successful, sexy women over 40. There is still a large wage gap in this country between the genders when it comes to professional jobs. Same in the film, TV, and music industries. "Desperate Housewives" changed things a little, but not much. Most people resent that Madonna has stayed around and stayed successful for this long.

And I know someone is going to bring up Cher's "Believe," but that was one song.

Yes but it was not like that before 2000... Clearchannel became a HUGE power in late 2000-2001 when they bought z100 and he invaded to many big markets! It's like something happened in 2001 in all the sectors in America and it became a country that we couldn't recognize! And that has an impact in our lifes here too!! And until 2005-6 we were looking to everyone there not to care about the whole situation and to leave us fight alone from here for changes there in politics, music, whatever... I know I sound dramatic... :dramatic: But I don't know how to say it.. I want people there to feel what we have felt with Madonna here! The attack of Confessions on a dancefloor which was not just an album! It was a way of life for Europeans! It influenced everyone's life! You cannot feel that! That's what we want and we complaint about! And it's not just music.. Music illustrates the educational level of a nation and we cannot see the youth growing with music like that! What are they gonna vote in a few years? What you choose there is influencing our every day life here very much.

Guest iMisto

Please, don't dismiss Believe.

Do you have ANY idea how many stations WOULDN'T play it, simply because it had Cher's name next to it????????????

It had to get MASSIVE requests from the public just to get started. Once it got played a couple times, requests kept pouring in because it was BRILLIANT.

That's why I keep saying we need to form groups that can start massive requests..... but you cunts/bitches just sit and complain. Jesus-fucking-christ!

CHART DATE: 05/05/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/05/2008 15:00:46

NOW IN: 45.86%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 120,912

HARD CANDY

2 2 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 42,961

SPIRIT

1 3 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 41,689

E=MC2

-- 4 LYFE JENNINGS COLUMBIA 36,461

LYFE CHANGE

-- 5 DEF LEPPARD ISLAND/IDJMG 28,009

SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE

-- 6 ROOTS DEF JAM/IDJMG 22,264

RISING DOWN

5 7 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 19,041

VARIOUS ARTISTS

10 8 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 15,646

TAYLOR SWIFT

8 9 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 14,739

TROUBADOUR

22 10 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 11,827

At least thats a better jump............. :zombie: So it went up 60,000 in 17% points. So if that keeps up it could end around 300k! I know thats not how it works, but whatever. lol