"Give It 2 Me" on the Billboard charts

sniper

Yeha, but BStory was soooooo out there in terms of top 40 fare- she couldn't have expected a big chart hit. And then HN also was a risky release. Billboard's Fred Bronson even commented on how she pushed the envelope by releasing those back-to-back non-radio-friendly singles.

NRM was the biggest shocker in terms of flops- it was the most mainstream track on ROL. Granted, had the single release coincided with its airplay peak, itwould have reached around No. 60 on the Hot 100- but, regardless, much lower than its should have, based on its commercial prospects. Then again, it wasn't as exciting as a lot of other classic-Madonna-sounding tracks.

Madonna got songs like Hanky Panky, Justify My Love, Erotica and Rescue Me into the top 10 (songs that would never have been played if by anyone else) and she was back to great airplay after the E backlash so I think they were expecting a 'madonna can do no wrong' hit with BS.

I always had a theory with NRM that Warner pulled the plug on it soon after it came out to make way for Beautiful Stranger, which needed to be out and a hit at a particular time to promote the movie it was from (had NRM been a hit it would have delayed BS for a couple of months). I also remember hearing Warner wanted to cancel the NRM maxi release but dumped them on the market because they had already gone into production- a couple of weeks later BS was on radio and the first Madonna single to have no commercial release. Seemed all connected to me.

Guest Danny86
Madonna was channeling T-Boz in HN, always said that. :)

BStory was fortunate to get even a week on Hot 100 Airplay (probably had around 7m-8m audience at that peak). Hell, that's like 4x the peak of GI2M!

She really was! :D Funny that they were competing against each other on the chart that year!

The comparison with "GI2M" is disturbing, with "Take A Bow" being her biggest airplay hit ever, and "4 Minutes" being her biggest airplay hit in several years, both followed by colossal flops... :confused:

She really was! :D Funny that they were competing against each other on the chart that year!

The comparison with "GI2M" is disturbing, with "Take A Bow" being her biggest airplay hit ever, and "4 Minutes" being her biggest airplay hit in several years, both followed by colossal flops... :confused:

but GI2M is very commercial, yet is flopped much worse than Bedtime Story.

Bedtime Story was a risk but who cares? Its one of M's most defining tracks and videos in my opinion - Its always beenone of my faves. It was a sound way ahead of its time. In fact I WONDER how it would do if it was re-released now? The video was way ahead of its time and it was the start of her experimenting more with electronica - her previous dance tracks have always been sorta house based. Had it been delayed for the ROL album I m sure it would have been a bigger hit.

Although BS was M's lowest charting hit at the time in the USA and it followed her longest run at No1 ever, at the same time it gave m another top 5 hit in the UK following her first top 10 miss since she made it big - that same song being a smah in the USA.

As for NRM - its another fave of mine - I read somewhere that had its release not been delayed it would have hit the top 50 - and had the chaert rules not changed it may even have been a top 30 hit.......if's and but's....

Im glad M has the balls to release good quality songs whether they miss the american chart or not - some of her billboard chart flops have been her best - Jump, GT, love profusion, hollywood, NRM, BS - I would have loved to see these songs grace the top 50 theres no doubt about it..but they did nt and theres no point in crying over spilt milk.......

47 pages dedicated to a song that wont chart ........

I always said that “Human Nature” had thriving potential to be huge hit for Madonna. It is—arguably—the most standout track on Bedtime Stories. From I’ve seen even non fans of hers like it. It wasn’t a ‘risky’ choice at all, IMO, and sonically it fit in perfectly with the Waterfalls/This Is How We Do It/Big Poppa/Scream radio climate of 1995. If it had directly followed “Take a Bow” instead of “Bedtime Story” (which was truly a risky single choice that wound up extinguishing the commercial momentum Bedtime Stories had after TAB) I think it would have gone over much, much better.

While excellent songs, BS and HN aren't really humable or songs you get stuck in your head, which probably explains the lack of interest at radio.

Exactly! Great as they are, catchy is one thing they are not. Brave indeed on her part to go with those choices when some radio stations had already started spinning the much catchier, radio friendly Don't Stop (at least in my area) then that stopped once I guess they realized that wasn't the next single....oops....so they very briefly played a radio remix of BS, which didn't go over well. They then tried DS again (they REALLY wanted this as a single...lol) around the time HN was released and they did actually have DS on mini-rotation (more than they played BS anyways) during the time HN was ascending on the charts.....yet I never heard HN at all on pop radio. I did hear it once on an urban station in my area though at that time, which shocked me.

See in a perfect world Take A Bow would've been followed by Don't Stop (shut your clueless mouths....the song is CATCHY and easily digestable....kinda like 4M which you all hated too) followed by Forbidden Love which really IMO could've went either way....but Babyface was gold then so it would've at least held up long enough for (and been the perfect bridge to....) STR and the release of You'll See to launch it. With two more legitimate HITS, BS albums sales would be pushing 4 million and STR would've been off to a great start AND she could've done IWY as the second release!! :dramatic: What WAS the point of releasing LDLHA anyways?? lol

Guest bluejean

Unfortunately I agree Don't Stop would have done better. Perhaps even a top 10 on the back of Take a bow.

Bedtime Story was a bad bad single choice. Human Nature could have faired better as 3rd single but Don't Stop sat much better with Secret and Take A Bow. It just made more sense and I'd say it was Madonna that pushed it otherwise. Forbidden Love could have been a good single as well.

Human Nature is catchy though, I disagree with Supernatural. However, it just was too left of centre to how the album was being marketed. Bedtime Stories was total damage control after Erotica and Human Nature was like a final tongue out that just wasn't the right moment.

Guest Danny86
Human Nature is catchy though, I disagree with Supernatural. However, it just was too left of centre to how the album was being marketed. Bedtime Stories was total damage control after Erotica and Human Nature was like a final tongue out that just wasn't the right moment.

I agree, I think "Human Nature" has several hooks, the catchy hip hop beat and the familiar "express yourself" message. But its subject matter was really out of place on the album and far from Madonna's then-current image, the video fueled that as well.

I also wondered if the remixes would have been better, instead of the dance mixes they could have done more urban remixes, the single could have got more exposure on urban stations. Oh and of course the maxi-single shouldn't have been delayed for 2 months! That must have been the first ever Warner fuck-up... :manson:

Oh and of course the maxi-single shouldn't have been delayed for 2 months! That must have been the first ever Warner fuck-up... :manson:

Yeah, I remember reading about the "Human Nature" maxi getting a huge delay. WTF were they thinking? Unfortunately, not releasing "Into The Groove" as a standard 7" in the U.S. was the first major fuck-up, I believe. As far as maxi-singles are concerned, it has always been a problem with Warner -- that is, releasing them too late, after the standard 2-track. Why not just release both the standard CD single and CD maxi on the same date? I never understood this. "Give It 2 Me" would be the latest example of this problem. Why not release the physical format (although it isn't going to sell that much) the same date as the digital maxi? :dramatic:

Guest Danny86
Yeah, I remember reading about the "Human Nature" maxi getting a huge delay. WTF were they thinking? Unfortunately, not releasing "Into The Groove" as a standard 7" in the U.S. was the first major fuck-up, I believe. As far as maxi-singles are concerned, it has always been a problem with Warner -- that is, releasing them too late, after the standard 2-track. Why not just release both the standard CD single and CD maxi on the same date? I never understood this. "Give It 2 Me" would be the latest example of this problem. Why not release the physical format (although it isn't going to sell that much) the same date as the digital maxi? :dramatic:

Ah yes, I forgot about the "Into The Groove" fuck-up. :D

I guess they did the delays most of the times to make fans buy both versions, instead of putting them out on the same day and fans not buying the 2 track formats. Sometimes they did release on the same day, I know "Take A Bow" was released like that.

Probably the same reason for "Give It 2 Me", they want fans to get them on iTunes first and then the collectors can get the physical. Not that they made much money out of this single though.

I posted that NRM would have reached around No. 60 had the commercial release coincided with the airplay peak (it initially was supposed to be out a couple weeks prior than when it eventually was released).

"Rescue Me" wasn't a daring single release- it mixed elements of JML and Vogue. JML tested radio, sure- but nothing was as non-commercial as "Bedtime Story." I like the track, but I dare anyone to find a tune in there. :)

Maxis usually didn't sell as much as the regular singles, so I don't think HN was all that hindered- after all, HN eventually only got to No. 35 in sales.

These are what I find to be WB's biggest single release blunders/d'ohs!:

1. Into The Groove: Not releasing a 7" version (though Billboard also dropped the ball, with its supposed charting rules for the Hot 100 at the time)

2. Don't Cry For Me Argentina: Only releasing a Maxi single. However, there was no intention of releasing a single at all- demand resulted in the release. And, hence, DCFMA became a top 10 hit- but maybe with a regular CD release, it could have peaked higher.

3. Beautiful Stranger: ICON reported a commercial release was happening, but it never did. The track's No. 19 Hot 100 peak didn't reflect its popularity- No. 11 Hot 100 Airplay peak, 16 weeks on the survey (identical to "4 Minutes").

4. American Pie: A commercial release was never planned- resulting in a "lowly" No. 29 Hot 100 peak. A commercial release probably would have shot it to top 5, top 10 at the least.

5. Digital Age- Releasing Digital Maxis Weeks in Advance of Physical CD Maxis: What the heck is the point? CD maxis hardly sell anything; if there's any concern about the charts (which there may not be), ussuing the physical simultaneously with the digital maxis would maximize sales, as hardcore fans probably would buy both digital remixes and the maxi.

Some tracks were issued just as maxis after DCFMA (with "American Life" being the last regular physical single release for a Madonna track)- but, I don't think it would have made a drastic difference. "Die Another Day" scanned 200,000+ as a maxi single, which is actually slightly more than DCFMA did in 1997. And, it's more than 100,000 than what "American Life" scanned in all configurations (of course, AL wasn't as popular as DADay, but...)

^ I was referring to "Bedtime Story," dahlin' (and its lack of commercial appeal in any manner). "Rescue Me" has a tune- not as great a one as other songs on TIC, but it's not bad. :)

Ed Sadtler from the 8/9 charts:

Madonna - "Give It 2 Me"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 57*-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Singles Sales - 4*-7

Hot Digital Tracks - 28*-74-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Digital Songs - N/A-N/A-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-66*-off

Pop 100 - 41*-84-off-off-off-off-off-95*-95-90*-85*-64*-75

Pop 100 Airplay - 74*-72*-67*-65*

Hot Dance Club Play - 28*-15*-7*-2*-1*

Hot Dance Airplay - 11*-7*1*-2-5*-6-7

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 2*-3

Canadian Hot 100 - 8*-13-67-off-off-off-88*-78*-56*-41*-32*-19*-17

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 4*-22-39-67-off-off-off-off-off-66*-36*-18*-16

8/16 charts:

Madonna - "Give It 2 Me"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 57*-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Singles Sales - 4*-7-12

Hot Digital Tracks - 28*-74-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Digital Songs - N/A-N/A-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-66*-off-off

Pop 100 - 41*-84-off-off-off-off-off-95*-95-90*-85*-64*-75-80

Pop 100 Airplay - 74*-72*-67*-65*-70*

Hot Dance Club Play - 28*-15*-7*-2*-1*-2

Hot Dance Airplay - 11*-7*1*-2-5*-6-7-8*

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 2*-3-5

Canadian Hot 100 - 8*-13-67-off-off-off-88*-78*-56*-41*-32*-19*-17-

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 4*-22-39-67-off-off-off-off-off-66*-36*-18*-16-17-27

Japan Hot 100 - 91 (new)

Some people say that GITM is bigger than Sorry because it peaked 1 place higher - however - it spent that 1 week when the album was released and did nt spend any other wee on the chart whilst sorry lasted a 5/6 weeks

Some people say that GITM is bigger than Sorry because it peaked 1 place higher - however - it spent that 1 week when the album was released and did nt spend any other wee on the chart whilst sorry lasted a 5/6 weeks

Sorry was definetly a smaller flop. Suprising since I think GI2M is more USA friendly.

8/23 Billboard charts from Ed Sadtler:

Madonna - "Give It 2 Me"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 57*-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Singles Sales - 4*-7-12-3*

Hot Digital Tracks - 28*-74-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off

Hot Digital Songs - N/A-N/A-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-off-66*-off-off-off

Pop 100 - 41*-84-off-off-off-off-off-95*-95-90*-85*-64*-75-80-84

Pop 100 Airplay - 74*-72*-67*-65*-70*-72

Hot Dance Club Play - 28*-15*-7*-2*-1*-2-7

Hot Dance Airplay - 11*-7*1*-2-5*-6-7-8*-5*

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 2*-3-5-1*

Canadian Hot 100 - 8*-13-67-off-off-off-88*-78*-56*-41*-32*-19*-17-16*

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 4*-22-39-67-off-off-off-off-off-66*-36*-18*-16-17-27-24*

Japan Hot 100 - 91-N/A