US Chart Talk: 5/03/08 Charts

thebigham

E=MC2 flopped in Canada as well

around 19K on its first week

that's what American Life did

COADF first week sales in Canada are over 70K :dramatic:

So if something doesn't do COADF numbers is a flop. Very nice to know. Oh and American Life did those numbers because 5 years ago albums actually sold.

canadians are more evolved and can appreciate a true artist. they're also more loyal.

I agree with that.

Canadians are not into R&B/Hip-Hop.

Canada is closer to Europe than the US when it comes to values, politics etc.

I think that reflects also in the culture like for instance taste in music... and how open people are to different kinds of music and aged artists etc.

5/03 Billboard charts:

Hot 100: 4M is up one spot to #6.

Hot 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #27 to #16.

Hot Singles Sales: Jump falls off.

Pop 100: 4M holds at #3.

Pop 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #11 to #10.

Hot Dance Airplay: 4M holds at #4.

Hot Dance Club Play: 4M climbs from #32 to #12.

Rhythmic Top 40: 4M climbs from #31 to #28.

Eurochart Hot 100:

4M climbs to #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest marsha
What schedule??

did I miss something?

are u an insider?

:nocomment:

:lmao::nocomment:

as I know, and I don't know much, I could write the schedule on my metro ticket:

- Today show (who's watching this below 70??)

- the NY gig (great and it'll be broadcasted on internet)

and, and... what else?

- Idol, Tyra, Oprah, Ellen, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, Stewart, SNL... at least she have to do one, Idol if she has no time to waste and want to touch millions people. it's not like she has to do Survivor for 3 months!

At this point, I'd happy if she was guest in Judge Judy

Entertainment Weekly

Chart Watch: Mariah Carey back on top

Apr 24, 2008, 04:52 PM | by Chris Willman

You didn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that E=MC2, Mariah Carey's latest, would debut atop the Billboard/Soundscan album chart. Her "lambs" turned out in force, snapping up 463,000 copies for the best first-week sales so far in 2008 and Carey's own best weekly tally yet. Her previous disc, 2005's The Emancipation of Mimi, something of a comeback after a series of disappointing efforts, bowed with 404,000 units sold. The previous best this year had been Jack Johnson's Sleep Through the Static, which came out of the gate with 375,000 a couple of months ago.

The next-highest debut this week belonged to Lady Antebellum, a freshman country trio on Capitol Nashville, whose self-titled CD came in at No. 4 with sales of 43,000. This is the second week in a row that a relatively unknown country act has scored a surprisingly solid bow on the album chart, following James Otto's impressive debut, Sunset Man, which drops to No. 12, moving 84,000 units in just two weeks. In fact, nine of the top 50 albums are by country acts, thanks partly to the effect of April 14's CMT Awards.

Another benefactor of the recent CMT Awards was a non-country performer: the show's cohost, Miley Cyrus. Her live album, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best Of Both Worlds Concert, leaped from No. 31 to No. 3, with this week's sales of 47,000 representing a 162 percent gain. But you can't credit CMT exposure for all of that: The main reason for the boost is that the CD (which also comes with a bonus DVD) had been a Wal-Mart exclusive for a month before finally going out to all retailers this sales period.

Other notable album chart debuts: Thrice, at No. 17, with The Alchemy Index, Vol. 3 & 4: Air & Earth (21,000 copies); Rush's Snakes & Arrows: Live at No. 18 (21,00); Children Of Bodom at No. 22 with Blooddrunk (19,000); kid faves the Naked Brothers Band at No. 23 with I Don't Want to Go to School (19,000); and, benefiting from the exposure of a free iTunes track, Tristan Prettyman at No. 27 with Hello (18,000).

On the digital songs chart, "Four Minutes," the Madonna/Justin Timberlake hookup, moved up one notch and took over the top spot, selling 201,000 singles this week for a total of 847,000. Mariah fans and Madonna aficionados, notorious for going to war with one another online, are curious how the two divas will fare in a head-to-head matchup. Madonna's album isn't out until next Tuesday (April 29), but her single has already outsold Mariah's "Touch My Body," which holds at No. 6 with a grand total of 627,000 sold. But this week, Carey's "Bye Bye" debuted on the songs chart at No. 11 with 60,000 sold, so Madge should be prepared for a fight on that front.

Entertainment Weekly

On the digital songs chart, "Four Minutes," the Madonna/Justin Timberlake hookup, moved up one notch and took over the top spot, selling 201,000 singles this week for a total of 847,000. Mariah fans and Madonna aficionados, notorious for going to war with one another online, are curious how the two divas will fare in a head-to-head matchup. Madonna's album isn't out until next Tuesday (April 29), but her single has already outsold Mariah's "Touch My Body," which holds at No. 6 with a grand total of 627,000 sold. But this week, Carey's "Bye Bye" debuted on the songs chart at No. 11 with 60,000 sold, so Madge should be prepared for a fight on that front.

:chuckle: we're being monitored..

YOUR WEAKEND CHART PREVIEW: One thing we can say with certainty is that Mariah Carey will stay at #1 in week two. The Island/IDJ release is projecting 185-190k as we head into the weekend. Another thing we're sure about is that Leona Lewis has legs. We're putting the J/RMG album from Clive's latest diva at 90-95k, contingent on a bump from Wednesday night's Idol performance, which is already moving the needle on the digital side. Geffen's Ashlee Simpson is looking like next week's top debut with 50-55k, followed by the widely adored Kiwi duo Flight of the Conchords, whose first full-length will likely give Sub Pop its first Top 5 debut since The Shins last year with an estimated 40-45k, but it could go higher. The album has been #1 at iTunes since its release on Tuesday, but can it hold off the surging Leona Lewis? Rounding out the Top 5 will probably be either Now 27 (SBMG/Commercial Music Group) or the Juno soundtrack (Rhino), with both heading toward 30-35k. But hot on their heels is another pair of bows, Atmosphere (Rhymesayers) and Phil Vassar (Universal South), both trending toward 28-30k. Staying in the realm of nuance, we presently have four releases looking 25-28k-ish: George Strait (MCA Nashville), R.E.M. (WB), Taylor Swift (Big Machine), Jack Johnson (Brushfire/Universal Republic). The next grouping, at 23-25k, includes Michael Buble (Reprise), Lady Antebellum (Capitol Nashville) and the debuting Story of the Year (Epitaph). You may now return to Round One of the NBA Playoffs. (4/25a)

Guest beachboi-69
Why are music tastes so different between USA & Canada?

Canada is pretty much into everything!

Radio does not ignore artists.. Canada is very liberal in thinking!

Canada's Top 40 Radio format is very open to everything! all formats if it sounds like a hit.

I don't know If I agree with a very typical comment of "They respect true artists"... Canada is not scared to play anything on radio if people want it.

I think Mariah has very few #1's in Canada maybe 5 if that.. and it is not because she was shut out at radio. If it's new Canada radio is gonna give it a try untill.

Most Canadian stations have no problem throwing a new single into top 20 airplay for a week at least if it has reaction. They don't hold out for other stations. Even the Adult Top 40/ AC moves fast.

"Touch" has actually preformed fairly well for her single wise. Mariah's Canada days were with her first album.

"4 Minutes" was an immediate response record in Canada.. 2 weeks to #1 on the Canadian Hot 100... thats insane! But it is Justin and Madonna both well respected and appreciated in Canada. Very friendly on all formats...

The kind of thinking you would think would be happening down here.... Is what has been happening in Canada! It's not black nor White.. It's just what people really want and that is reflected in more ways then just music.

I grew up in Canada and it's Miles ahead of the USA in so many areas

Guest beachboi-69
Entertainment Weekly

Apr 24, 2008, 04:52 PM | by Chris Willman

I actually like an article from EW ... shocked.. Luv it!

Pointing out that "Madonna" has outsold Mariah with this single in this article has made my day.

Maddy should easily open with bigger numbers then Confessions.

Edited by beachboi-69

YOUR WEAKEND CHART PREVIEW: One thing we can say with certainty is that Mariah Carey will stay at #1 in week two. The Island/IDJ release is projecting 185-190k as we head into the weekend.

:lol:

That's like a -59% drop. I realize all albums are declining huge in the second week these days, but if this total holds true, then E=MC2's second week numbers will be smaller than TEOM's second week. So much for the Lambs' wish for her to outsell the predecessor.

Guest ercos
:lol:

That's like a -59% drop. I realize all albums are declining huge in the second week these days, but if this total holds true, then E=MC2's second week numbers will be smaller than TEOM's second week. So much for the Lambs' wish for her to outsell the predecessor.

i sure hope Ashlee's #1. id hate to see Mooriah have her second week at #1.... :dramatic:

Guest Bad Robot
BB May 3, 2008

4 MINUTES
+------------------------+----+----+----+----+
|                        | TW | LW | WK | PK |
| Hot 100                | 6* | 7  |  5 |  3 |
| Hot 100 Airplay        | 16*| 27*|  5 | 16 |
| Hot Digital Songs      | 1* | 2  |  4 |1(2)|