"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

Guest marsha
Are you for real???? Tha EVMA peformance was legendary. It did have a big impact in the US too. COADF had a great promo and huge buzz and better reviews than HC and this is why it sold 350K the first week.

If HC sells well will be mainly because of the success of 4M.

I believe the internet broadcasting of the concert in NY will be a great promo but she still needs a couple of TV appearances.

:clap:

Are you for real???? Tha EVMA peformance was legendary. It did have a big impact in the US too. COADF had a great promo and huge buzz and better reviews than HC and this is why it sold 350K the first week.

If HC sells well will be mainly because of the success of 4M.

I believe the internet broadcasting of the concert in NY will be a great promo but she still needs a couple of TV appearances.

what the fuck is EVMA??

Are you talking about the EMA's?? If sou you're out of your mind... mostly her fanbase knew about that performance.. it wasn't like the general american ever saw it...

and yes... she needs to do some major TV appearances... that's what i've been saying the whole time!

COADF didn't have great promo... seriously... it barely had promo...

and I wouldn't say it had better reviews in the US than HC... I think it's pretty much the same actually and I even think HC overall has even a little higher medium score by US critics than COADF had...

Guest marsha
what the fuck is EVMA??

Are you talking about the EMA's?? If sou you're out of your mind... mostly her fanbase knew about that performance.. it wasn't like the general american ever saw it...

and yes... she needs to do some major TV appearances... that's what i've been saying the whole time!

COADF didn't have great promo... seriously... it barely had promo...

and I wouldn't say it had better reviews in the US than HC... I think it's pretty much the same actually and I even think HC overall has even a little higher medium score by US critics than COADF had...

nice try. you understood very well. not only hardcore fans saw EMA's show or pictures.

I agree, COADF did not have great promo. so far, it's worst. ok, unfair: you're right to say she needs to do major TV shows. I know you say that every 2 posts ;-).

But how could she sell 400k + with no promo. 4m's sales are amazing, radio audience is great, not THAT great. at least she did Letterman and TRL for COADF.

she has 4 days to save her promo ;-)

nice try. you understood very well. not only hardcore fans saw EMA's show or pictures.

I agree, COADF did not have great promo. so far, it's worst. ok, unfair: you're right to say she needs to do major TV shows. I know you say that every 2 posts ;-).

But how could she sell 400k + with no promo. 4m's sales are amazing, radio audience is great, not THAT great. at least she did Letterman and TRL for COADF.

she has 4 days to save her promo ;-)

Well... in the US it was mostly her fanbase who saw the EMA performance... and I guess we're talking about the US?

I never said I think she'll do 400+ without any promo... but I definitely think >250 is to underestimate... I think since she's actually having radio support this time around, and that there's a nice buzz going around and that her name itself is big then I would be very dissapointed if it wouldn't make at least 350 the first week...

but yes... promo IS crucial... but I still think under 300 is to underestimate... with or without much promo

Guest Bad Robot
BB May 3, 2008

4 MINUTES
+------------------------+----+----+----+----+
|                        | TW | LW | WK | PK |
| Hot 100                | 6* | 7  |  5 |  3 |
| Hot 100 Airplay        | 16*| 27*|  5 | 16 |
| Hot Digital Songs      | 1* | 2  |  4 |1(2)|
| Hot Digital Tracks     | 1* | 2  |  4 |1(2)|
| Pop 100                | 3* | 3* |  5 |  2 |
| Pop 100 Airplay        | 10*| 11*|  5 | 10 |
| Top 40 Mainstream      | 11*| 12*|  5 | 11 |
| Rhythmic Top 40        | 28*| 31*|  3 | 28 |
| Hot Adult Top 40       | 29*| 35*|  4 | 29 |
| Hot Dance Club Play    | 12*| 32*|  2 | 12 |
| Hot Dance Airplay      | 4  | 4  |  5 |  4 |
| Hot Video Clip Tracks  | 10 | 10 |  2 | 10 |
| Hot RingMasters        | 17 | 20 |  3 | 17 |

Billboard Chart Beat

The latest news in the world of Billboard's definitive sales and airplay charts.

April 25, 2008

Fred Bronson

HEY LOLLI-'LOLLIPOP'

Dear Fred,

As always, I have been a fan of your column and with time I have enjoyed watching the changes as the charts are adjusted to [keep up with] the ever- changing music industry.

That said, how in the world is "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne No. 1 when it is not No. 1 in airplay or sales? Madonna (yes I'm a little biased here) has had the best-selling digital track for a number of weeks and I know airplay is picking up, but can you explain what combination of numbers helped "Lollipop" become No. 1?

Thanks,

Jorge Escobar

New York, N.Y.

Dear Jorge,

Glad you enjoy Chart Beat and thanks for your question.

The answer lies not in any changes in chart policy or the technology used to compile the charts. The answer is as old as the Hot 100 itself, and for anyone who is counting, that is 49 years and nine months.

The Hot 100 was conceived as a chart that combined sales and airplay information and while the formula has been changed many times, it has continued to be a chart that blends sales and airplay information. So it is not uncommon for a song that is neither No. 1 in sales or airplay to be the No. 1 song of the week once sales and airplay figures are combined. Whichever song has the largest grand total of sales and airplay figures is No. 1 on the Hot 100.

It is an objective figure, not influenced by any personal feelings for or against any artist, as some other readers have suggested in e-mails I have received over the last few weeks.

The only way "Lollipop" could be No. 1 is that when you add its sales and airplay together, the number you get is larger than any other combined sales and airplay total for the week. And that is exactly what happened this week and you can be sure that is what happens every week, no matter which song is No. 1.

WHY ISN'T '4' 1?

Hi Fred,

Lately I've been following the charts closely, expecting Madonna's new single, "4 Minutes," to reach the top of the Hot 100. Sadly (yeah, I am a huge Madonna fan), the song has already started dropping down. Too bad for my expectations.

On the other hand, the song has topped the Canadian Hot 100 chart for three weeks in a row now. Personally, I thought Madonna would be more popular in the United States. Why do you think the new single hasn't been such a hit in the United States?

I love reading Chart Beat and Chart Beat Chat every Thursday. Thank you.

Vincent Morin-Côté

Quebec City, Quebec

Dear Vincent,

Like I told Jorge above, I'm glad you enjoy my columns, and thanks for your question. I have had a lot of inquiries from readers over the last three weeks, mostly from Madonna fans, asking why "4 Minutes" hasn't achieved pole position on the Hot 100.

From my reply to Jorge, you already know the answer – when you combine the sales and airplay figures for "4 Minutes," the song doesn't have the largest grand total, even with the single being No. 1 on the Hot Digital Songs tally.

What's keeping this Madonna song out of first place is its airplay. The spins have been increasing each week, ever since the single debuted at No. 51 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart dated April 5. Since then, the single has climbed 51-41-30-27-16. But "4 Minutes" needs more airplay of it is going to climb to the summit. If airplay does increase, it will need to keep its sales figures up to move into the penthouse.

The largest sales week for "4 Minutes" to date was its first week, when it debuted at No. 2 on Hot Digital Sales. The figure dipped slightly the second week, although that reduced number was the largest sales figure for the week, allowing the single to move up to No. 1. Sales then took a bigger drop the third week when the single dipped to No. 2, and increased slightly in the fourth chart week, helping "4 Minutes" to return to No. 1.

Wow!!!

Memories...

Jorge Escobar!!! Does he comes here at the forum? He used to be at Dotmusic a lot... miss him...

#1 BLEEDING LOVE

#2 LOLLIPOP

#3 NO AIR

#4 LOVE IN THIS CLUB

#5 4 MINUTES

#6 SEXY CAN I

#7 TOUCH MY BODY

USHER and MADONNA may swap at the final tally... streaming will be on MADONNA's side...

How the hell was the EMAs performance not significant?! :shock: It was broadcast on TV to millions of people and reported heavily in the media. They made a big deal that "Madonna stole the show"! Madonna was on the front page of major papers the next morning as well!

:thumbsup: EXACTLY

Do you think so? It makes sense...

yeah... it would be a no-no if a song of hers is still increasing and all of a sudden they release the follow-up as well...

maybe if they see signs of airplay going down, they will give the GO for GI2M... then as most of us here have hoped, the TV appearances will come in... reminder, she will be in MALAWI May 15th...

from bks at pulse

Lot's of backward bullets -- and a great week to be Chris Brown (or Jesse McCartney -- who could have predicted a year ago he'd be a part of two songs currently in the Top 15 including the No. 1 song).

BILLBOARD HOT 100 - TOP 50

2 1 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE

1 2 LIL WAYNE LOLLIPOP - STILL BULLETED

3 3 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

6 4 MADONNA 4 MINUTES :thumbsup:

4 5 USHER LOVE IN THIS CLUB

7 6 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I

5 7 CAREY*MARIAH TOUCH MY BODY

8 8 SARA BAREILLES LOVE SONG

-- 9 CHRIS BROWN FOREVER

9 10 CHRIS BROWN WITH YOU

11 11 FLO RIDA LOW/JEALOUS

10 12 MILEY CYRUS SEE YOU AGAIN

12 13 JOHN MAYER SAY - STILL BULLETED

-- 14 JESSE MCCARTNEY LEAVIN'

14 15 DANITY KANE DAMAGED - STILL BULLETED

15 16 ONEREPUBLIC STOP AND STARE - STILL BULLETED

13 17 RIHANNA DON'T STOP THE MUSIC (JODY DEN

17 18 ROSS*RICK BOSS - STILL BULLETED

16 19 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE

31 20 COLBY O'DONIS FEATU WHAT YOU GOT

18 21 TIMBALAND/ONEREPUBLIC APOLOGIZE - SINGLE

20 22 BUCKCHERRY SORRY

32 23 PLIES FEATURING NE- BUST IT BABY (PART 2)

21 24 KEYS*ALICIA NO ONE

19 25 WEBBIE, LIL' PHAT & INDEPENDENT

34 26 COLBIE CAILLAT REALIZE

24 27 TRACE ADKINS YOU'RE GONNA MISS THIS

27 28 2 PISTOLS FEATURING SHE GOT IT

29 29 TAYLOR SWIFT PICTURE TO BURN

30 30 JAMES OTTO JUST GOT STARTED LOVIN' YOU

28 31 TAYLOR SWIFT OUR SONG

23 32 MARIAH CAREY BYE BYE

25 33 FLO RIDA FEATURING ELEVATOR

26 34 DAUGHTRY FEELS LIKE TONIGHT

35 35 LIFEHOUSE WHATEVER IT TAKES

22 36 FIASCO*LUPE SUPERSTAR

33 37 GEORGE STRAIT I SAW GOD TODAY

36 38 CAILLAT*COLBIE BUBBLY - SINGLE

37 39 FINGER ELEVEN PARALYZER

41 40 BRAD PAISLEY I'M STILL A GUY

48 41 3 DOORS DOWN IT'S NOT MY TIME

40 42 NELLY FEATURING FER PARTY PEOPLE - STILL BULLETED

39 43 CHERISH KILLA FEAT. YUNG JOC

44 44 ASHANTI THE WAY THAT I LOVE YOU

55 45 METRO STATION SHAKE IT

46 46 BRITNEY SPEARS BREAK THE ICE - STILL BULLETED

56 47 GAVIN DEGRAW IN LOVE WITH A GIRL

38 48 TAYLOR SWIFT TEARDROPS ON MY GUITAR

42 49 JORDIN SPARKS TATTOO

63 50 PHIL VASSAR LOVE IS A BEAUTIFUL THING

INTERESTING MOVES & DEBUTS

65 56 CARRIE UNDERWOOD LAST NAME

60 57 MAROON 5 WON'T GO HOME WITHOUT YOU

-- 60 LIL WAYNE MILLIE

79 62 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW

77 67 FLOBOTS HANDLEBARS

95 69 NE-YO CLOSER

99 77 CHRIS BROWN TAKE YOU DOWN

93 78 JASON MRAZ I'M YOURS

-- 79 USHER FEATURNIG BEY LOVE IN THIS CLUB, PART II

100 80 DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE I WILL POSSESS YOUR HEART

-- 84 WEEZER PORK AND BEANS

-- 87 DUFFY MERCY

-- 92 V.I.C. GET SILLY

98 93 ESTELLE AMERICAN BOY

-- 95 G UNIT I LIKE THE WAY SHE DO IT

-- 96 ASHLEE SIMPSON WITH LITTLE MISS OBSESSIVE

-- 97 THE-DREAM I LUV YOUR GIRL

BUBBLING UNDER

11 1 SEAN KINGSTON FEATU THERE'S NOTHIN

-- 2 GIRLICIOUS LIKE ME

-- 6 KEYSHIA COLE HEAVEN SENT

-- 14 M.I.A. PAPER PLANES (HOMELAND SECURIT

-- 24 TAYLOR SWIFT I'M ONLY ME WHEN I'M WITH YOU

Guest ercos

the say it can be at #4 today / tonight. and BL will again be #1....

it seems, it has already peaked at #3, but we still have next week. the song might reach #2...

Guest missy bi_tch

now a broadcast performance of 4 min by madonna and justin on a TV prog should help it go #1...

fBILLBOARD HOT 100 - TOP 50

2 1 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE

1 2 LIL WAYNE LOLLIPOP - STILL BULLETED

3 3 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

6 4 MADONNA 4 MINUTES :thumbsup:

4 5 USHER LOVE IN THIS CLUB

7 6 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I

5 7 CAREY*MARIAH TOUCH MY BODY

RIGHT ON!!!

It's a definite TOP 3 again next week...

Mimi's single had two versions near the top 10 when the album was released, and it actually lost a few percentage points in sales- so there may not be some big sales boost for 4M next week.