The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Now, now, kiddies, be nice to each other.

James Masterson (UK chart commentator) makes specific mention of the fact that the video has only just been released and that this will have an impact on on its chart position:

"That is pretty much it as far as Top 10 action is concerned, although the main casualties appear to be Madonna and JT who slide 5-8 with the still download only '4 Minutes'. I'd call this a vindication of my suspicion that the single would run out of steam even before it was properly made available, but for the minor quirk that the video for the track has only been released this week, the result being the single will now get TV airplay that had hitherto been denied to it. Don't underestimate the impact of this, and write its further chart prospects off at your peril."

He should know what he's talking about....

Does anyone know whether video downloads are included in the singles chart? Remixes definitely are but not sure about video downloads.

Guest tir69
Yes we know what you think of the song. We knew about 25 pages ago, and have found out almost every page since.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know it's not always the most reliable source, but according to Wikipedia video downloads do count towards the UK chart. I searched the BBC news site but could only find a story in 2006 saying talks were taking place which would probably see videos counting towards the chart 'by the end of the year'.

Some news from the singles chart last week, from Music Week. If the market stays like this a number 1 is definitely possible:

Meanwhile, sales of singles fall to 1,838,895 – their lowest level for 16 weeks.

Topping the list for the third week in a row, Estelle and Kanye West’s American Boy suffers a 17.9% dip in sales. Some of the loss can be put down to the release of Estelle’s Shine, which enters the artist album chart at number six on sales of 16,129 – to 49,690. Overall sales of American Boy are now 164,350, enough for it to climb 15-7 on the year-to-date rankings.

Flo-Rida’s Low remains American Boy’s closest challenger. Though it suffers a minor 2.4% dip in sales to 29,765, it is well clear of The Kooks’ Always Where I Need To Be.

The Kooks are the only act to lift six Top 40 hits off an album in the 21st century. The Brighton band achieved this impressive feat with songs lifted from their 2006 debut album, Inside In/Inside Out.

Their eagerly awaited second album, Konk, is released April 14, and first single Always Where I Need To Be becomes their biggest hit to date this week, making a huge 71-3 leap (22,961 sales), following physical release.

It’s the second biggest Top 75 move in chart history, behind Steps’ It’s The Way You Make Me Feel, which leapt 72-2 in 2001, following a distribution leakage.

Mariah Carey stormed to her 18th number one in America with Touch My Body on download alone but the song makes a more modest number six bow here (21,179 sales), despite being available on 2 CDs, 12-inch and download.

Carey has had just two UK number ones - Without You in 1994 and Against All Odds (with Westlife) in 2000- but the introductory single from her upcoming album E=MC² brings her tally of UK hits to an impressive 37, of which 24 have made the Top 10.

Guest AntiVirgin
:flop:

Airplay is also DWINDLING

I doubt the video will help - the song is SHIT.

And who'd have thought it, Mariah TROUNCING Madonna in the UK as well as the states. :chuckle:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:flop:

Airplay is also DWINDLING

I doubt the video will help - the song is SHIT.

And who'd have thought it, Mariah TROUNCING Madonna in the UK as well as the states. :chuckle:

I wonder if the video will start to recieve heavy rotation from the music channels? Tomorrows midweeks will be interesting

If the song doesn't start climbing in the next few days I think it will be OVER.

I would really love to hear what you'll have to say in 3 weeks time Queen Bitch when 4M goes to no.1 in the UK, since the physical single is accumulating pre-orders all this time(it is #1 on every UK pre-order chart for weeks now) ; it will only need a modest number of copies sold in the stores to get it to the top spot. And downloads are up to #3 in the UK iTunes today. If revenge is a dish served cold, it will be a day in Alaska for you then! :demonic:

I would really love to hear what you'll have to say in 3 weeks time Queen Bitch when 4M goes to no.1 in the UK, since the physical single is accumulating pre-orders all this time(it is #1 on every UK pre-order chart for weeks now) ; it will only need a modest number of copies sold in the stores to get it to the top spot. And downloads are up to #3 in the UK iTunes today. If revenge is a dish served cold, it will be a day in Alaska for you then! :demonic:

Don't hold your breath on either prediction.

When was the last time a single reached the Top 10 without the benefit of a video or a full week's airplay? Does anyone know? My guess is never....

When was the last time a single reached the Top 10 without the benefit of a video or a full week's airplay? Does anyone know? My guess is never....

"4 MINUTES" by Madonna was the first single go directly inside TOP 10 based on downloads alone released on the same week to radio and with no video.

This song will be #01 in UK as soon as physical version is released. Who thinks the contraire doesn't understand how this things work. This is Madonna!

Guest missy bi_tch
4 minutes may get to number 1 (depending on new releases too) .... but Im still disappointed about her new musical direction. Dont expect CODF numbers in Europe at all.

i think we need to get over this disappointment

madonna wants commercial success in the land she started out from

Guest SuperPop

SALES

Singles

49690 Estelle

29765 Flo Rida

22961 Kooks

21179 Mariah Carey (6)

Albums

60778 REM

40136 Duffy

16129 Estelle (6)

8809 Gnarls Barkley (19)

7917 Snoop Dogg (23)

6517 Michael McDonald (27)

6271 Specials (28)

6145 Flo Rida (29)

6052 Gabriella Cilmi (31)

5750 Black Keys (34)

2855 Joe Satriani (75)

COMPILATIONS

71856 Now 69

Physical Only Sales (:manson::rolleyes: for some deluded who think 4M will sell more than 80.000 on physical...if it sells 30.000-40.000 it will be very very good)

01 Estelle 7,860

02 Mariah Carey 7,252

source: Haven

No Madonna sales yet

Guest SuperPop
And yes, physical sales will be higher than you expect! Just look at the numbers when they come out baby ;)

:rolleyes: the above numbers speak for themselves...maybe you track the UK charts since 1993 but the problem that you are still stuck on that year as it seems..

Guest SuperPop

the fact that 'Black & Gold' has lost its steam as it seems in Itunes and the fact that there isnt any big hit anticipated soon will make 4M easier to hit the top spot (depending that 'American Boy' will have considerably decreased its sales till then)

oh and :lmao: :lmao: @ poor Mimi..she sold exactly the same with Madge's first week of release..the big difference however is that Mimi had physical release,full TV promo, full videoclip rotation and build up airplay...local artist indeed

so it 2 weeks this will be number 1? how is that so when its going down in the charts?? i thought physical sales hardly amounted to shit these days?

Guest SuperPop
so it 2 weeks this will be number 1? how is that so when its going down in the charts?? i thought physical sales hardly amounted to shit these days?

it has rebounded on Itunes..it is currently at no3..

Of the 21,179 copies Mariah sold this week, 7,252 were on physical x

( 4 mins would have sold about 16k )

The physical release always push downloads in the UK. Because you can hear on the radio/TV the words "It's out this week" so people buy it [wheter download or CD].