2016 American Presidential Thread

Guest Mauro

Kaine seems like a decent enough politician. I agree that's not even close to good enough.

Any of the others on her short list would energize the ticket. But this is Clinton. She is her own worst enemy.

VPs do very little in the end to help. They can drag a candidate down like Palin. They don't even deliver states. The only way a VP could really help Hillary is if they had a military background.

Pence is a disaster for Trump. Perez could be a big headache for Hillary if she were to choose him in light of racial tensions in America. This is why it all goes back to Kaine. America likes stability. You can say that Kaine is monotone, etc, but that can work to his advantage, along with his resume. I'm not saying she should choose him, but that trait is not necessarily a bad thing. People are going to want to see a contrast between the insanity of Trump-Pence and Clinton-TBD.

Plz PLZ let this be true (at the freaking minimum) While it's disturbing it's even that close long as those numbers end up the SAME on election day, she wins. Dont care if it's by freaking 2%. They have more than enough time to do damage control after the FBI/ Comey crap. She MUST pick an energetic, fresh, rock star-ish VP and tear Trump and Pence to shreads everyday which should be effortless. Once Millenials 'get' who/what Pence is that *should fire them up to vote for Hillary but more against Trump/Pence. Her VP must not be Tim Kaine. In 2008 or any other year he would of cut it. NOT this one. He was sedating, monotone and un stimulating in every way when he campaigned w/ her last week. Smart, qualified guy but won't add a damn thing. She needs a turbo boost. Kaine is too freaking boring/meh. Whether you think she's bland, robotic and even awful, 'awful' is the new acceptable. Then there's Trump which has it's own definition and it's waay worse than 'awful' :#

Yes: Cory Booker, Sherrod Brown, Elizabeth Warren, etc.

Guest Rachelle of London

Troll question ignored.

How is that a troll question?

A few months ago in this very thread American posters were considering their options.

Where's Ulizos?

How is that a troll question?

A few months ago in this very thread American posters were considering their options.

Where's Ulizos?

Agree- how is it even semi 'trolling' :?? To say that was just harsh and inaccurate based on the posters question. I think it's a very valid or at the minimal acceptable question w/ someone like Trump running. People left/right were asking the same question when Bush won twice. Unfortunately w/ Trump/Pence the question is 100x more valid and legit! Obviously, waay easier said than done but if I was able in any way, absolutely would look into certain parts of Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the UK.

It is scary that Trump still polls this high but you have to remember that Hillary is loathed also. For many its like picking between two evils. For me its like picking between a pile of shit, and a woman who has tons of potential to be a great President if she plays her cards right. But that's just me....

I always said there is about 33% of this country that is totally bat shit crazy. Whenever most polls come out and you have a correct answer to pick from and a CRAZY one, it seems like MOST of the time about 33% go for the crazy answer. So stack about ten more points onto that and you have the Trump base.

Also Hillary didn't have a really good last two weeks so seeing that she is still ahead by a healthy margin as this email thing becomes old news is a good sign. And lets not forget what a embarrassing circus Trump's convention is going to be. I can't picture him getting any kind of a bump from it. I mean your biggest name so far is Charles in Charge? :lmao:

And yes I never thought I would say it, but damn, I look back on certain portions of Bush's EPIC failure of a Presidency now and I would much rather have that then Trump for Christ sake. I mean Bush did have his moments....Just watching this you see how crazier the republican party has gotten since Bush. Who would have thought?

As for moving part of me thinks it would be funny as hell to stick around as NOTHING Trump promised gets done. That stupid wall isn't going up. Deporting 11 million people is not happening. Banning Muslims for the US is not happening. His followers are in for a big shock if heaven forbid he wins.

Guest Mauro
GOP Cleveland organizers beg Adelson for $6 million

The GOP admits two dozen companies have pulled out because of Trump.

sheldon-adelson-01.jpeg

GOP Cleveland organizers have asked requested $6 million from billionaire couple Sheldon and Miriam Adelson after two dozen companies have pulled out. | Getty

CLEVELAND — Millions of dollars short and running out of time, organizers of the Republican National Convention have written an urgent request for $6 million to Las Vegas billionaire couple Sheldon and Miriam Adelson to cover the bills for next week’s festivities.

In a letter to the Adelsons, obtained by POLITICO, the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee revealed the names of more than two dozen prominent corporations and individuals who have reneged on a collective $8.1 million in pledged donations.

The letter represents the most public acknowledgment to date that Donald Trump has directly cost convention organizers millions of fundraising dollars.

“Over the past couple months, negative publicity around our potential nominee resulted in a considerable number of pledges backing out from their commitments,” the letter says.

It goes on to list the companies and wealthy individuals who have withdrawn their financial commitments. Among those who have canceled their donations, according to the letter, are David Koch ($1 million), FedEx ($500,000), Visa ($100,000), Pepsi ($500,000) and Coca-Cola ($1 million).

Visa disagreed with its inclusion in the letter. "Visa has not made any pledges to sponsor either of the host committees in 2016,” a company spokeswoman said.

The letter says the RNC has raised $58 million — putting the party $6 million below the $64 million that was promised to bring the convention to Cleveland.

They ask the Adelsons to singlehandedly close the RNC’s shortfall.

“We would greatly appreciate if you would consider a $6,000,000 contribution to the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee to help us cross the finish line,” states the letter, which was dated July 12. The convention begins July 18.

“Your support will allow our community to meet its obligation to the RNC, and will ensure our Republican nominee has the best possible platform to lay out his conservative case for our nation,” the letter concludes. “Thank you for your consideration and please let us know if you need any additional information.”

The letter is co-signed by David Gilbert, CEO of the Cleveland 2016 Host Committee, Christopher Connor, executive chairman of The Sherwin-Williams Co., Alexander Cutler, chairman and CEO, of the Eaton, Christopher Kelly, a partner at Jones Day, and Beth Mooney, chairman and CEO of KeyCorp.

Sheldon Adelson, who has an estimated net worth of $25 billion, is one of the few Republican mega-donors to come out strongly in support of Trump. It has been reported that Adelson could spend more than $100 million to back the presumptive GOP nominee — matching his financial investment in Mitt Romney’s campaign four years ago.

Dating back to January, convention organizers, the Republican National Committee and its chief strategist, Sean Spicer, have denied that Trump would cost convention organizers money.

There have been previous reports of individual companies that have chosen not to participate in this year’s convention, but this is the most comprehensive listing of corporations that have pulled back on previous commitments.

Other corporations listed in the letter as having withdrawn earlier commitments include Apple ($250,000), as previously reported by POLITICO, as well as BP ($50,000) and United Health ($500,000).

Spokespersons for the convention host committee and Adelson did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

(On Friday, nearly twenty-four hours after this story was published, GOP convention organizers apologized to Adelson, conceding the letter contained numerous inaccuracies. Some of the companies listed, the convention acknowledged, hadn’t actually made pledges. Among those who have since publicly denied pledges are Visa, FedEx, Coca-Cola, Koch and BP.)

Guest Mauro
One source who used to work as a senior staff member in the House of Representatives told me, “Pence, smart? I used to eat salads at the Rayburn cafeteria that had more brains than Mike Pence.”

Mike Pence: Sarah Palin Without The Charisma

n-MIKE-PENCE-628x314.jpg

It is too amazing to be true. Donald Trump charged Arthur Culvahouse, the same DC lawyer who vetted Sarah Palin, with vetting his VP choices.

And Trump has ended up picking Sarah Palin, without the charisma.

One source who used to work as a senior staff member in the House of Representatives told me, “Pence, smart? I used to eat salads at the Rayburn cafeteria that had more brains than Mike Pence.”

That certainly fits Mike Pence.

Mike Pence who, in 2001, still was seriously trying to claim that cigarette smoking wouldn’t kill you, writing “Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.”

Mike Pence who, just last year, looked like a deer in headlights on television, when asked to explain a law he just signed. He was completely unable to tell George Stephanopoulos if the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (Reminder: a bill he just signed) would allow bakers and florists to refuse service to same-sex couples being married. The performance was widely mocked, and thought to be the end of his Presidential ambitions.

Mike Pence who, when asked if he believes in evolution, had to repeat the question, before giving a nonsensical response.

Mike Pence who either didn’t read, or didn’t understand, that he signed a law that requires women to bury or cremate their periods, if they contain a fertilized egg, leading to the Periods for Pence movement.

It isn’t so much that Mike Pence is a lightweight in the brains department.

It’s that Mike Pence is a lightweight in the brains department, and also ridiculously incompetent.

Remember that religious freedom bill that Pence signed, but couldn’t explain? Upon finding out that it wasn’t at all popular, that everyone realized it could be used to discriminate against gays and lesbians, and coming under pressure from a nationwide boycott of Indiana as a result, Pence was forced to sign an amendment protecting the LGBT community, thus taking out the reason religious groups wanted the original law in the first place. The result ended up being the whole ordeal was an epic waste of time, that needlessly had Hoosiers at each others’ throats.

Pence, in his infinite wisdom, decided that banning needle exchanges would curb drug use, despite evidence to the contrary. What happened, because of inept Mike Pence? Oh nothing, just an explosion of HIV in the state. So much so that Pence was forced to sign needle exchanges back into law.

Mike Pence also once decided to start spending resources to develop a state-controlled news service, which would feed the media with prewritten stories, and be the one to break “news” (read: “propaganda”) about his administration. When confronted with the fact that it was, well, kind of Soviet, Pence decided to stop developing the news service.

These are just some of the reasons that Mike Pence was very possibly on his way to being beaten for reelection as governor, by a state rep who hasn’t been in politics for 14 years, before Donald Trump saved his hide.

How bad is his reputation in the state? Republicans want Pence out of Indiana. Reported CNN, “[Trump picking Pence] also makes for a good fit for Indiana Republicans, who are ready for Pence to go after a tumultuous first term in Indiana that has opened up a chance for Democrats to claim the governor’s office.”

Oh, the title of that piece? “Indiana GOP to Trump: Take Mike Pence, Please!”

Like the former Congressional staffer above, the people of Indiana and Republicans found out, pretty darned quick, that Mike Pence is as inept and bumbling as he is lacking in intellect.

This is Donald Trump’s first presidential-level decision, and he didn’t just whiff.

He whiffed very, very badly.

After November, when the post-mortems on the Trump loss are written, people will look back on Pence and think, “What was Trump thinking?”

Now Antonio Sabato Jr is speaking at the Convention? First of all is this the GOP Convention or a new season of The Surreal Life on VH1? How many has been celebs can we fit under one roof?

13754108_1186131251479927_84236478302532

Trump on Pence's Iraq war vote: 'I don't care'

New York (CNN) Throughout his presidential campaign Donald Trump has relentlessly criticized Hillary Clinton's vote to authorize the Iraq War.

But confronted with his newly-tapped running mate's own "yes" vote in 2002, the presumptive Republican nominee offered a very different response.
"I don't care," Trump said on CBS's "60 Minutes" in his first joint interview with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, whom Trump announced Friday will join him on the Republican ticket.
Trump has repeatedly castigated Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, for voting in 2002 to authorize military force in Iraq. He has portrayed the then-New York senator's decision as evidence that she has "horribly bad judgment" and isn't fit to be president.
But Trump didn't shy away from the double standard in his response to Clinton's vote versus Pence's.
"He's entitled to make a mistake every once in a while," Trump said of Pence, who was a congressman from Indiana at the time.
"But she's not?" CBS interviewer Lesley Stahl pressed.
"No. She's not," Trump replied.
Still, Trump insisted that Pence voted to authorize the U.S. invasion of Iraq because he, like others, were "misled."
The presumptive Republican nominee also continued to insist in the interview that he "was against the war in Iraq from the beginning," despite evidence to the contrary.
Trump has continued to claim on the campaign trail that he was opposed to the Iraq War before the U.S. launched its invasion -- and the "60 Minutes" interview that aired Sunday once again raised the specter of that contradiction.
But Trump signaled his support for the war a month before both Clinton and Pence voted to authorize it, in an interview on Howard Stern's radio program.
And in the early months of the war, when it appeared to most to be a military success, Trump agreed with that analysis.
"It looks like a tremendous success from a military standpoint," Trump said in a March 2003 interview.
It wasn't until later that year that Trump began expressing his opposition to the war.

Trump didn't "signal" his support for the war on Stern. Howard flat out asked him if he supports going to war with Iraq and he said yeah I guess so.

I find it funny that Trump has been a friend to Howards show forever now, and Howard is sooooo mum about this election. Normally he will come out and say who he is voting for and speak out for them. You are getting no endorsement from him this time around from what I know. He has said plenty of times over the years how much he admires Hillary and what a great President she would be. I have no doubt he is voting for her, but doesn't want to hurt his "bond" with Trump.

Which I wish didn't exist because it would be hilarious hearing Howard rip him to shreds.

Trump didn't "signal" his support for the war on Stern. Howard flat out asked him if he supports going to war with Iraq and he said yeah I guess so.

I find it funny that Trump has been a friend to Howards show forever now, and Howard is sooooo mum about this election. Normally he will come out and say who he is voting for and speak out for them. You are getting no endorsement from him this time around from what I know. He has said plenty of times over the years how much he admires Hillary and what a great President she would be. I have no doubt he is voting for her, but doesn't want to hurt his "bond" with Trump.

Which I wish didn't exist because it would be hilarious hearing Howard rip him to shreds.

Howard said in an interview with Sally Field back in March (possibly April) that he was voting for Hillary Clinton and I'm pretty sure he's been listed as having endorsed her as early as last year. He didn't seem to be a fan of Bernie and thought Bernie was going against Hillary because she is a woman.

Guest Mauro

Howard said in an interview with Sally Field back in March (possibly April) that he was voting for Hillary Clinton and I'm pretty sure he's been listed as having endorsed her as early as last year. He didn't seem to be a fan of Bernie and thought Bernie was going against Hillary because she is a woman.

He's said repeatedly on his show that he's voting for Hillary. He's made fun of Bernie on many occasions after having him on his show in the mid-2000s, saying that he knew he was crazy from that day forward. :lol: Don't look for consistency with Howard tho. He's known to say one thing and do/say another suddenly. He was pro-gun, anti-gun, then pro-gun again. They're all nuts on that show. :lmao:

VeronicaElectronica, on 17 Jul 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:VeronicaElectronica, on 17 Jul 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Well good. I hope he speaks out more on it. :lol: Every time I have listened and Robin does the news and its a story on Trump or the election he hardly has anything to say which is unusual for him, but like I said Trump is a friend of the show so he probably doesn't want to burn that bridge.

I hope Clinton doesn't pick that Tim Kaine guy. I am sure he is nice and all, but its just not a pick that I see igniting the base, or younger people.

Would feel kind of "merp" about him.

I want Cory!!!!!!!!!

My bet is on Tim Kaine just cuz like I said, Clinton is goofy and tone-deaf like that. Bless her heart but she refuses to take risks on the things that matter. Instead, she absentmindedly pushes the limits on the things that make her look terrible (Emailgate).

My frustration with Clinton stretches far and wide. She needs to shed some of these people that've been around her for eternity. They won't give it to her straight. Madonna frustrates me the same way sometimes. These are women with so much talent and acumen that work themselves into a tizzy by stressing out over the wrong shit. Someone needs to shake them both and be like "STOP. REWIND." :lol:

Guest Mauro

My bet is on Tim Kaine just cuz like I said, Clinton is goofy and tone-deaf like that. Bless her heart but she refuses to take risks on the things that matter. Instead, she absentmindedly pushes the limits on the things that make her look terrible (Emailgate).

My frustration with Clinton stretches far and wide. She needs to shed some of these people that've been around her for eternity. They won't give it to her straight. Madonna frustrates me the same way sometimes. These are women with so much talent and acumen that work themselves into a tizzy by stressing out over the wrong shit. Someone needs to shake them both and be like "STOP. REWIND." :lol:

Who would you like her to pick?

Guest Mauro

My dream ticket would be Elizabeth Warren, Sherrod Brown, or Al Franken. I don't think any of them are gonna happen.

I don't know if America is ready for two women, and Elizabeth would be replaced with a Republican. Franken hasn't thrown his hat into the ring. Sherrod Brown is in the running. There is a long vetting process and a lot of people are involved. Again, this isn't 2008 where we're coming off the disastrous George W. presidency where you could have run a carrot against the Republican opponent and won. America is back to being a divided nation, with racial tensions brewing, which Republicans (and especially Donald Trump) will capitalize on. The last thing Hillary wants is a 'Willie Horton' disaster with one of her VPs. Democrats DO need some of the white vote to win.

Yeah, Clinton is white enough. :lol:

Idk. This isn't 2008. Youre right. Its much crazier. People hate both candidates. Now, you and I may feel it's incredibly unfair. But we know how this works as Madonna fans. Once the press writes your story, you are powerless to stop it.

People hate Trump more than they hate Clinton. Yes. But they hate Clinton more than anyone in history aside from him. This is incredibly bad. She needs an electrifying person on the ticket. The people I mentioned are the key. Instead she will go with a human manila folder. I can't with her.

I want to be wrong.