Madonna’s boyfriend launches Defend fashion label

Guest groovyguy

Its not free. Ypu payed for the album TOGETHER with the ticket.

And the bundle deal was for the US only :doh:

500k copies sold in the US of which not even half came from the ticket/album redemption deal

The album sold 1.8m copies and was the #12 best-selling record of the year

It more than did its job and it was Universal's #6 best-selling release for the year

People need to get over NTP/Gyms/Her first perfume when celebrities have been doing it for years and years before her etc

Not really Nonoka

MDNA sold 1.8m copies worldwide according to the industry body IFPI. That redemption /MDNA Tour ticket deal was for her US fans only. MDNA sold about 500k copies in the US and of that 500 000 copies not even half came from people getting the album because they purchased a tour ticket. In any case even a 500k figure is not even a third of the total number of copies the album ended up selling

#12 best-selling record of the year for a 54 year old woman doing pop music is simply amazing Who cares if she wants to open a gym or do a deal with Aldo to flog her own shoes? The album is good the tour is amazing and she's everywhere in the media over the stupidest detail on top of being the highest-earning celebrity out there

XXL, my comment was meant to be a joke. I know those ticket deals didn't really have an impact on the overall sales, but it's the typical argument people who don't liker her come up with when they want to prove how baldy MDNA sold.

It is a flop in comparison to the sales of her previous albums though. But that's another topic.

I understand your explanation of linking her trademarks with such business ventures, but than, how can one explain the Hard Candy gyms? Most people neither know about Hard Candy nor those gyms. Why the fitness DVD, which only makes her look embarassing (IMO) ? It's ok if all goes to charity, however, as many others, I have my doubts that she doesn't earn from it at all. And once again, I don't have anything against those business ideas as long as they don't distract her from her actual work she's famous for, her music, but exactly that was the case last year for me. She was interested to promote the perfume at the same time of the album release, yet she wasn't interested to promote the album itself. For me, that said it all regarding her view of which project is more important.

XXL, my comment was meant to be a joke. I know those ticket deals didn't really have an impact on the overall sales, but it's the typical argument people who don't liker her come up with when they want to proof how baldy MDNA sold.

It is a flop in comparison to the sales of her previous albums though. But that's another topic.

Why? All of her studio releases from ROL onwards meaning when she was a 40 yo popstar onwards have been either a top 10 or top 15 best-selling year-end album. Of course if you compare MDNA 1.8m copies to ROL 17m copies back in 1998 it might seem like she has underperformed post Music in 2000

But cumulative sales for the top 10 albums post 2009 are clearly not in the range of the total number of copies the first 10 biggest-selling cds would have amounted to some 15 years ago when you had a #1 year end record shifting 30m + copies

I understand your explanation of linking her trademarks with such business ventures, but than, how can one explain the Hard Candy gyms? Most people neither know about Hard Candy nor those gyms. Why the fitness DVD, which only makes her look embarassing (IMO) ? It's ok if all goes to charity, however, as many others, I have my doubts that she doesn't earn from it at all. And once again, I don't have anything against those business ideas as long as they don't distract her from her actual work she's famous for, her music, but exactly that was the case last year for me. She was interested to promote the perfume at the same time of the album release, yet she wasn't interested to promote the album itself. For me, that said it all regarding her view of which project is more important.

The HC gyms idea is to capitalise on her image of a fitness geek

She's been living in England for 10 years and there hasn't been a day when shitty papers that are now having meetings about the state of her hands haven't featured a pic of her getting out of a NW London gym even when she was wearing the same tracksuit parka attire and glasses every single bloody day

I don't see how those business ventures might have distracted her from focusing on her first studio album in 4 years. Her first post WB etc. One thing is you personally not finding MDNA a work of the utmost quality (that's a matter of your own personal opinion) and another is stating for a fact that her MDNA album is a reflection of Madonna getting distracted by her business interests. Especially when 90% of the press and the fans loved the album even before the tour itself.

When she released HC people went up in arms here because she was doing collab with the Rap - Hip Hop world and said that the album was so and so. Then she does something completely different again and not even that is fine :lol:

Blame it on Madonna's gyms and shoes I guess

Why? All of her studio releases from ROL onwards meaning when she was a 40 yo popstar onwards have been either a top 10 or top 15 best-selling year-end album. Of course if you compare MDNA 1.8m copies to ROL 17m copies back in 1998 it might seem like she has underperformed post Music in 2000

But cumulative sales for the top 10 albums post 2009 are clearly not in the range of the total number of copies the first 10 biggest-selling cds would have amounted to some 15 years ago when you had a #1 year end record shifting 30m + copies

Yeah, but if you compare her other albums' sales, she never had an album which had such low sales, even AL has sold about twice as much. That's my point, MDNA was a flop for her own standards.

Also, saying MDNA got a great reception by almost everyone is a bit exaggerating IMO. I can only speak for my country, but Germany had a very lukewarm reception of the album, maybe it has to do with the "she's old and embarassing" mentality most people have here, but the press was majorly disappointed. HC fared much better here.

And XXL, MDNA not being a very good album because of M's distraction is of course only my assumption, I don't say it's a fact and I've never said it that way either. That's just how it came across to me last year, she seemed distracted during the album release. And by the way, one of the album's producers himself stated the same thing as well, that she was busy with the perfume throughout the recording sessions. Let's not forget that.

Why are we even comparing album sales anymore? The industry can't even barely sell them (and don't bring up Adele...she's the exception, at the moment. Those sales figures aren't going to last either). The era of mega-sales is over. Hell, the era of moderate sales is over.

Are we expecting a mainstream female pop artist in her 50s to sell multi-millions like it was years ago...?

Im still waiting for her to market something i can buy

The irony is, all her products seem to be targeted at women yet her demographic seems to be mainly men! She needs to do underwear and aftershave for men. Perhaps not. The clubs would be filled with tubby 40 year old men gyrating in leopard print jockstraps stinking of "ToD pour homme".

Oh Brahim and Madonna, please DEFEND me from the Taliban, and from your next movie release, and from the aliens from the tv mini series V, from this asian meal I am about to consume, and from the release date of the secret project, and most importantly from your shitouse t- shirts.

I feel like I can walk the streets of Australia safely, knowing that I am wearing a DEFEND tshirt, so flygirl and don't no gangster pick on me, or I will defend.

Does the tshirt come in medium, and white?

In the words of comic book guy: Worst ( tackiest ) Project Ever!!!

:dead: Are you a comedienne?

Why are we even comparing album sales anymore? The industry can't even barely sell them (and don't bring up Adele...she's the exception, at the moment. Those sales figures aren't going to last either). The era of mega-sales is over. Hell, the era of moderate sales is over.

Are we expecting a mainstream female pop artist in her 50s to sell multi-millions like it was years ago...?

:clap: :clap:

Besides the she's selling below her standards argument is so cringeworthy. Why do u compare sales from AL with sales from MDNA released almost 10 years apart. Look what the #1 album in 2003 sold and look what the #1 albums in 2005-2006-2007 and so on did

If you compare pre 2003 the difference is even more striking. She is 54 and she's the #12 most bought musician of the year. There's no way you could deny it was a success. People are not buying Pink Bono JLo Beyonce Bon Jovi Springsteen whatever u name it either. They get it for free online or get it cheap on itunes etc. Why do people insist on the phrase below her standards? It's annoying because it's false

Take off Adele (the exception of the decade not just 2011/2012) and the various One Direction and see what the next album on that 2012 IFPI top year end list sold. MDNA is very much in line with the rest of the top 10

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_resources/dmr2013.html

1 Adele 21 8.3m

2 Taylor Swift Red 5.2m

3 One Direction Up All Night 4.5m

4 One Direction Take Me Home 4.4m :doh:

5 Lana Del Rey Born To Die 3.4m newbie and huge promotion

6 P!nk The Truth About Love 2.6m extensive promotion

7 Rod Stewart Rod Stewart 2.6m releases album once a decade (maybe)

8 Rihanna Unapologetic 2.3m

9 Mumford & Sons Babel 2.3m newbie

10 Maroon 5 Overexposed 2.2m

:wow: AL sold twice as much as the manufactured hyper publicised boy band du jour did

:abuse:

The HC gyms idea is to capitalise on her image of a fitness geek

She's been living in England for 10 years and there hasn't been a day when shitty papers that are now having meetings about the state of her hands haven't featured a pic of her getting out of a NW London gym even when she was wearing the same tracksuit parka attire and glasses every single bloody day

I don't see how those business ventures might have distracted her from focusing on her first studio album in 4 years. Her first post WB etc. One thing is you personally not finding MDNA a work of the utmost quality (that's a matter of your own personal opinion) and another is stating for a fact that her MDNA album is a reflection of Madonna getting distracted by her business interests. Especially when 90% of the press and the fans loved the album even before the tour itself.

When she released HC people went up in arms here because she was doing collab with the Rap - Hip Hop world and said that the album was so and so. Then she does something completely different again and not even that is fine :lol:

Blame it on Madonna's gyms and shoes I guess

To say that she wasn't distracted is to say that she spent no time on those projects. So you're saying basically she brought out a shitty perfume, has a crappy clothing line, has released a don't care chain of gay gyms, some half-arsed studded boots, and a cash in fitness video. So using her image to fleece people basically. You can't have it both ways -there are not 80 hours in a day (which she spends 3 hours of working out anyway), she has to allocate her time somehow -of course all these ventures take time away from the music.