Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

Sanctuary deserves more than just an interlude. It's a gorgeous and deep song.

Sanctuary is absolutely perfect I would love to see this one on touar, but that'll never happen...same goes for Skin, Words, and all those mystical songs that would've been perfect on tour!

I think if there was a BS tour she'd have performed TAB probably as one of the last songs...I always imagined a setlist for BS somewhat like this:

Section 1: (Madonna and her dancers dressed up in leather, and some in bondage clothes and drag, this section gives us a glimpse of the Madonna that had to deal with criticism, the Madonna that wants to fight back as she begins telling the story of her life.)

Intro/Human Nature

Express Yourself

Vogue

Survival

Justify My Love (Hip Hop Remix) - Interlude

Section 2: (This section would deal with Madonna's teenage years, leaving her family moving to New York, basically becoming the woman she is.)

Deeper and Deeper (with "Goodbye to Innocence" outro)

Keep It Together

Into the Groove

True Blue/Outro

Section 3: (Madonna dealing with the loss of her mother, looking back on her past life and finally realising, that "Hapiness lies in your own hands")

This Used to Be My Playground/Live to Tell

Inside of Me

Secret

Like a Prayer

Rescue Me (Lifeboat Vocal) - Interlude

Section 4: (Greek; love, passion, lust, sin, temptation, This section will show Madonna's perception of sexuality and her sensuality, as well as looking back at her love affairs, etc. After I'll Remember we see the resurrected Madonna, the Madonna that leaves everything behind and focuses on the future ("Bedtime Story"). There will be a huge bed on stage and backdrops will show motifs of Greek mythology. All dancers, including Madonna will be dressed in modernised greek robes.)

Sanctuary

Erotica

Forbidden Love

Take a Bow

I'll Remember

Bedtime Story (Finale)

Encore:

Holiday

Don't Stop

Guest Not4Pussies

i like that madonna focuses on new material when she goes on tour

and the different reinventions she performs of her old songs

but i wish she would bring out a lot more gems out

she only does the new material, the obvious major hits and 2 or 3 old songs that haven't been performed on tour in a long while

for mdna tour it was OYH and JML. and as much as i love seeing her do Vogue, HN, etc, it was really nice and surprising

to see her perform a bit of Cyberraga or when she included You Thrill Me in Erotica for CT.

she has such a huge catalog of songs and a lot of those songs have fit all the themes she's had in her tours.

i dont want her doing the obvious ones over and over again. i know it's what the fans want to hear

but it would be nice to see her perform Bad Girl, I'll Remember, Swim. do amazing dance performances of

Impressive Instant, Deeper and Deeper and Get Together.

to surprise us with Bye Bye Baby, Hollywood, Love Profusion, and amazing interludes for Sanctuary, Skin and Secret Garden

and finally perform Bedtime Story and Nothing Really Matters again ON TOUR!!

Anyway, back to Take a Bow...

I'm trying to find the interview where she said she originally wrote it about her mother, as I too remember her saying that somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere! It must of been a print interview. Someone help!

I was watching interviews to find it when I came across the Canadian interview she did with MuchMoreMusic, M had this to say about the song:

It's funny everybody has different reactions, it's meant to be a love song, a farewell song to someone that I loved. But lots of people have heard it and said that they thought it was suicidal or that I was looking in the mirror and saying goodbye to a certain part in my life or a certain side of me. I never thought of it that way, I think that's interesting. But I wrote it specifically about someone.

[media=]

[/media]

About her mother? I've seen and read every interview from that era and I've never heard that before. "Inside of Me" is about her mother, as we all know. It works as both a love song and a song to someone she's lost. TAB doesn't scan that way - it's clearly a love song. "I've always been in love with you," etc. It's a romantic love song and can be nothing else. She told Kurt Loder during "No Bull" it was written about an actor. I'm guessing it was Sean and not Warren, due to the reference to the person being a "clown."

....However I seem to recall Madonna stating in an interview that 'Take a Bow' was about her mother but that she had converted it into a love song to make it easier to relate to for the general public. I may be thinking of another song but I'm pretty sure it was that one. I think she said that was the case for many of her songs. Sorry I don't have the exact quote but it was in a magazine interview in 94 or 95.

I don't want to hear Take A Bow unless it's remixed to hell and back or an acoustic version. I just hate that Chinese restaurant karaoke production - hideous!!!

hahaha true...but those are 90s :D

ofcours she ll change evrything in that song---she never do original version and i think thats the reason why she hasnt perform it for a so long time...theres no enough good reinvention so the song waits better time.

The production is dated and very "Babyface," but the melody and strings are beautiful. I really have to remember what it felt like to hear it for the first time. I've heard it so many times on the radio, etc. that I've gotten numb to it. But I remember hearing it at the end of BS for the first time and thinking how beautiful it was and lovely her voice sounded. I had a similar reaction to TPOG.

I don't want to hear Take A Bow unless it's remixed to hell and back or an acoustic version. I just hate that Chinese restaurant karaoke production - hideous!!!

I think an ethnic reinvention is in order ;)

I have a feeling a longer version of what we saw with LAV/LS on the MDNA Tour will happen in the future with M drawing out a longer cabaret-type section with some of her top ballads. This is where TAB will find it's place, at least a piece of it anyway. I really can't see her pulling out some of these more challenging vocal ballads and performing them in their entirety....more of a medley perhaps?

i like that madonna focuses on new material when she goes on tour

and the different reinventions she performs of her old songs

but i wish she would bring out a lot more gems out

she only does the new material, the obvious major hits and 2 or 3 old songs that haven't been performed on tour in a long while

for mdna tour it was OYH and JML. and as much as i love seeing her do Vogue, HN, etc, it was really nice and surprising

to see her perform a bit of Cyberraga or when she included You Thrill Me in Erotica for CT.

she has such a huge catalog of songs and a lot of those songs have fit all the themes she's had in her tours.

i dont want her doing the obvious ones over and over again. i know it's what the fans want to hear

but it would be nice to see her perform Bad Girl, I'll Remember, Swim. do amazing dance performances of

Impressive Instant, Deeper and Deeper and Get Together.

to surprise us with Bye Bye Baby, Hollywood, Love Profusion, and amazing interludes for Sanctuary, Skin and Secret Garden

and finally perform Bedtime Story and Nothing Really Matters again ON TOUR!!

I couldn't agree more! This is exactly the reason why I get so disappointed when I see her setlists! MDNA was a phenomenal tour, but there are so many missed opportunities when it comes to old songs! NRM, Impressive Instant, Physical Attraction and Bad Girl, they all would've been perfect for this tour, as they fit the mood and concept of it. Still, she decided to perform non-classics performed on the last tour, like Candy Shop and Human Nature, instead of those.

It's a beautiful song,but it's so sad and depressing :( It would be like her performing "This Used To Be My Playground".Those are wonderful songs but I don't think she will perform them.

I think she did it great in pure Madonna style. Its not perfect but its not bad either. I actually love her deep voice here. In fact i think she would sound far worse nowadays.

Yeah it isn't really that bad, it's actually quite good for her pre evita vocals. But if it wasn't that great then could you imagine it now with the crow in full effect? The only tours this song had a chace were DWT and RIT, before the crow took wing.

It's a beautiful song,but it's so sad and depressing :( It would be like her performing "This Used To Be My Playground".Those are wonderful songs but I don't think she will perform them.

Yes, I know what you mean. Those two songs seem to be basically saying it's all over and there's no hope. Some of her other songs are sad, but there's still hope and about finding strength even through sadness and pain.

She's saving for her last tour. She already knows how awesome it will be. The performance is all figured out already. :yes:

I think I'd cry so much.

Imagine she just did a huge medley that had snippets of almost every single she did and then it's just her on stage with the spotlight and the Take a Bow opening strings begin. *o*

I think I'd cry so much.

Imagine she just did a huge medley that had snippets of almost every single she did and then it's just her on stage with the spotlight and the Take a Bow opening strings begin. *o*

even if she took only a minute for each song *i.e. less than MDNA Papa* she would still be over 2 hours. at this point.

:mellow:

When did she say she didn't like it?

My take is that it's like 4M, which I bet she'll never sing again. They're just songs that such products of their times, produced by of-the-moment producers and sound less like "Madonna" songs than many of her other hits. TAB is very pretty, and it was obviously a personal song to her at the time, but the one time she DID sing it live, she didn't sound very good and she probably knows it. That hasn't stopped her from singing other songs she's sung badly in the past, but could be a factor. Doesn't she also usually avoid songs about Sean? And I got the sense that's who it was about.

That's my guess too. TAB and 4M are just numbers when we are discussing her hits. That's it. Not even 'real' Madonna songs.

4M is basically the TAB of the 2000s. it even had the fucking producer making awful noises on the background. :lmao:

Yeah, but you guys are being too hard on TAB. It might have a dated sound that was specific to a producer, but it's a beautiful song lyrically and vocally. And the strings are pretty. 4M has a hot horn line but that's about it.